[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Third Parties of Sm4sh
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11
File: third parties of sm4sh.png (1 MB, 2700x900) Image search: [Google]
third parties of sm4sh.png
1 MB, 2700x900
Guys, I just wanna take your time to give a good look at this. These are the Third Party characters that are in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS.

What are your honest thoughts?

Are you okay with this?

Who deserves more and who deserves less?
>>
>>320311743

>Half of those characters are Sony reps
>>
The only one who really feels out of place is Cloud, but that feeling may fade once I get to play him a bit.

I think a Dragon Quest hero or character would've fit much better, thematically-speaking. Erdrick or Rocket Slime, for example, would've worked great.
>>
File: 1449504640023.png (165 KB, 633x900) Image search: [Google]
1449504640023.png
165 KB, 633x900
>>320312048
>>320311743
>>
File: A completely blank image.png (119 KB, 422x317) Image search: [Google]
A completely blank image.png
119 KB, 422x317
I wanted the first ever revealed third party Smash character back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKlNdzpICW0
>>
THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST
>>
>>320311743
Cloud and Bayo make no sense. Characters that really established Nintendo for the past 20-30 years would have been better - Bomberman for example.
>>
>>320311743
They're all pretty good. Though in terms of legacy, I'd argue that Bayonetta and Cloud to a lesser extent aren't quite as famous as the others. Cloud's not any stranger a pick than Snake though.

They all seem pretty cool, though.
>>
>>320311743
I'd put in Snake over Bayonetta, but I'm not surprised he didn't get in this time. Fuck Konami.
>>
It's insane.

If you showed this to /v/ before sm4sh news came out everyone would dismiss the shit out of you and call you a faggot.

Now it's a reality.
>>
>>320311743
I'm only sort of iffy on Cloud. Even then I think he's pretty cool. I would've preferred Black Mage.

I wish Snake came back.
>>
>tfw no Snake because Konami has given up videogames in favor of pachinko
I might genuinely hate them more than EA, Ubisoft, or Capcom.
>>
>>320311743
Well lets see

Sonic defiantly deserves to be in the game given his rivalry with Mario

Mega Man started on Nintendo and has always been on Nintendo. He is as close as a Nintendo character a third party can get

Pac-Man I find harder to justify

Ryu has earned his spot given his status as a fighting game icon and the fact that Street Figther 2 on SNES really helped making the console the dominating one in the home market

Cloud is a why, I do understand that Final Fantasy has a history with Nintendo but I would much rather that the Final Fantasy representatives is someone with a game on a Nintendo machine like Terra

Bayonetta depends on where her future lies, Nintendo exclusive or multiplatform.
>>
Taking bets on who gets cut out in the future game.
>>
>>320313264
Depends on who gets the helm for the next one.
>>
I'd say all of them them but Bayo "deserve" to be in. Bayo falls short on iconicness, but a ballot win is a ballot win. Ain't mad though. She looks pretty fun.
>>
File: BAYONETTA ALL Y'ALL.jpg (3 MB, 3534x5000) Image search: [Google]
BAYONETTA ALL Y'ALL.jpg
3 MB, 3534x5000
>>320311743
One of them is adopted first party.The rest are figure heads for extremely influential game companies. All of them are completely justified.
>>
>>320313236
Cloud, like Ryu, is an advertisment for upcomming game.
>>
No more fucking 3rd parties
>>
>>320313497
But for Ryu there is a argument to be made in history and status symbol. Cloud less so
>>
Bayo would be alright if she wasn't the only ballot choice.
>>
>>320313475
>adopted first party
License for a game and IP rights are not the same thing. Bayo belongs to Sega.
>>
>>320312048
None of those characters are Sony reps.
>>
>>320313264

I can see Greninja, Palutena, Duck Hunt, and Shulk getting cut. Lucina, Robin, Roy, and Corrin too if Sakurai isn't directing.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 750x750
Get out normie
>>
>>320313670
Fine, then I'll justify her with the fact that she's the star of the best third-party exclusive for the Wii U.
>>
>>320313780
Duck Hunt won't get cut. Lucina definitely will, Greninja probably, Palutena and Shulk should be fine. Robin and Corrin are a toss up. I main Robin though, so I hope for the best.
>>
>>320313780
>>320314154
I suspect that if Palutena does stay she will get some major reworking done.
>>
From the least to most sense, imo.

>Cloud
Just feels like a huge 13 year olds fantasy come true. Not only does it not make sense, but is off the walls crazy. Do I dislike his inclusion? No, in the world of Final Fantasy, he makes sense to represent the series.

>Ryu
A fighting game character in a party fighter? Pffft, but it happened and he plays really well. It just seems bizarre to include a staple fighting game character in a mash up outside of the Vs franchise.

>Bayonetta
Even though she was my first vote, I didn't really expect her to make it in due to only having 1 game on Nintendo consoles and being 'lewd', but after the presentation, she looks right at home fighting with other iconic characters. Can't ignore the fact this will lead to much more rule 34.

>Pac-Man
Simply because of his age and the age of the current generation of people playing video games. He's not a no-body by any means and seems perfectly legit.

>Sonic
Honestly should have been in since Melee. The only logical sense the step after 64 would have been to include a couple of 3rd party/rival company players.

>Mega Man
Obvious character for smash is obvious. Should have been in since Melee as well, mostly all of the Mega Man games have been on Nintendo platforms, including the most iconic ones, besides Legends.
>>
>>320311743
Perfect if snake was back just to piss off sonyggers
>>
>>320313264
Greninja so they can shill the gen 8 Pokemon in his place, all the clones, and a chunk of the DLC
>>
Everyone is undoubtedly a video game icon except Bayonetta, who was obviously still popular enough to be #1 worldwide.
>>
>>320312048
y-you know FF7 had a PC version, right?
>>
File: fuck you.jpg (209 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
fuck you.jpg
209 KB, 1280x720
>>320316050
>who was obviously still popular enough to be #1 worldwide.

'Supposedly'.
>>
>>320311743
I'm so glad to that Shantae and Shovel Knight aren't up there alongside them. BASED Sakurai said no to indieshit
>>
File: 1442714442410.jpg (35 KB, 280x224) Image search: [Google]
1442714442410.jpg
35 KB, 280x224
if they had released the game with all of these guys in it it would've been GOTY without a doubt

I would'v been as surprised as I was with mewtwo back when melee was released, but alas, dlc came to ruin everything in vidya

the way things are it just feels like they tried to pull a "marvel vs capcom" on nintendo fans
>>
File: 1448138194070.png (59 KB, 341x591) Image search: [Google]
1448138194070.png
59 KB, 341x591
>>320316296
Sakurai is vicious, he knows were to twist the knife.
>>
>>320312048
>SEGA
>Capcom but starred on Nintendo platforms
>Arcade but had Nintendo ports
>Arcade and released on Nintendo platforms before SEGA
>PS1 character but also on PC
>360 character with a shitty PS3 port

nope
>>
>>320316296
Honestly surprised how well that looks. Ashley's Mii outfit looks nice too.
>>
Add Snake and it would be absolute perfection.
>>
>>320313236
>definitely
please learn this word.
>>
>>320311743

>Sega rep
>Nintendo rep
>Arcade rep
>Playstation rep
>Playstation rep
>Xbox 360 rep

Why only one Nintendo rep there?
>>
Sanic deserves it because of the rivalry

Mega Man is so close to Nintendo that he deserves it. I think every single Mega Man game outside Legends 2 is playable on Nintendo.

Pac-Man is ONLY in cause Bamco developed the game. He has almost no history with Nintendo. Pac-Man didn't even get an official port on a Nintendo console 'til 1993 on the NES. 13 years after the game's original release and 2 years after the SNES was already on the market. But I appreciate his addition regardless.

Ryu deserves it since SFII was one of the best selling games of all time on the SNES and he is very iconic.

Cloud is interesting as fuck since he's never properly appeared on a Nintendo platform, and since FFVII is symbolic of Square axing all ties to Nintendo for nearly 10 years, and even more interesting since Sony published the game in the West and 90% of the marketing for the game was shitting on the N64 for using carts. But as Samurai explained they really wanted a Final Fantasy character and whether you like it or not Cloud is THE face of Final Fantasy to the majority of people. Any other FF character and people would have been pissed yelling "LITERALLY WHO" sadly. I think it's cool he's in the game but he's not really deserving if that makes sense.

Bayonetta as a 3rd party doesn't really deserve to be in, but if she WAS always a 1st party then yes definitely. Her future is uncertain but I'm glad she's in.

/blog post no one is gonna read
>>
>>320317282
>Ryu
>Playstation

Implying
>b-but SFV
Also available on PC
>>
in order of importance/deservance

Mega Man - 100/100
Pac Man - 95/100
Sonic - 90/100
Ryu - 90/100

Cloud - 50/100 (because he never appeared on a nintendo system out side of some minor cameos)
Bayonetta - 20/100
>>
>>320313475
>Adopted third party.

Uhh...if Sega wanted to make Bayonetta 3 exclusive to PS4 and XBONE, they could. Nintendo only licensed the franchise for one game.
>>
>>320317282
because it's THIRD PARTY

YOU

FUCKING

MORON

god you are such a fucking idiot, seriously. just fucking kill yourself, I can't even deal with your autistic ass right now

fuck off.
>>
Mega Man is the closest to Nintendo, he makes sense. Sonic's been really friendly with Nintendo these days so I can understand. Pac-Man's only in because of Namco. Ryu is heavily Sony these days but at least SF2 was on SNES and is a really important game in the industry. And at least Bayonetta 2 was exclusive to Wii U, even if other chararacters deserve it more. Really, the only one definitely out of place is Cloud - only picked due to recognition, and not to support FF's Nintendo legacy as a whole.

So in short, I wanted Simon Belmont, no big surprise.
>>
>>320315928
Yet Lucario is still in and Greninja is pretty popular.
>>
>>320313475
>villager on the "dark" side of the poster.
Fucking perfect.

>Little mac on the "dark" side of the poster.
Fucking... why?
>>
>>320317338
I read it and liked how you put everything.

And honestly now, all side by side (except snake RIP) they don't look too bad a list of 3rd parties.
>>
>>320319526
I think so his green glove would appear on the green side whereas Ryu's red glove would appear on the red side.

>>320317338
Good analysis. Only thing I'd like to add is that Pac-Man is really well-known and influential, and while he never really competed with Sonic and Mario, he's a decent inclusion for his notability.
>>
>>320313475
>The clocktower+explosion layered over the moon make the smash symbol

neat.
>>
File: thumbsup_wayne.jpg (7 KB, 281x202) Image search: [Google]
thumbsup_wayne.jpg
7 KB, 281x202
>>320312259

As saddened I am by the loss of Snake, if his sacrifice means that we get Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud, AND Bayonetta in exchange, then it's a sacrifice I'm willing to accept.
>>
>>320320218
>AND Bayonetta
what a disappointment
>>
File: macvscloud.png (156 KB, 640x340) Image search: [Google]
macvscloud.png
156 KB, 640x340
>>320311743

Cloud is the one that surprises me the most

Not only because the flagship game he's from has never been on a nintendo console

but that it was the first mainline Final Fantasy to NOT be on a nintendo console
>>
Expect the roster to grow to 70s for NX with Ice Climbers and Wolf returning.
>>
honestly tho why pacman
>>
>Sonic
ok

>Mega Man
Nice!

>Pac-Man
Awesome

>Ryu
Cool!

>Cloud
ok

>Bayonetta
eh
>>
File: in my time.jpg (63 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
in my time.jpg
63 KB, 600x800
>yeah guys it's because you voted for her, trust me
>>
>>320311743
Those are all iconic characters. Bayo is debatable, but she is the face of modern japanese vidya, and also the winner of the ballot.

9/10 lacks Snake to be perfect. The game itself is still extremely flawed though.
>>
>>320311743
>Sonic
Eh, he's cool, I guess
>Mega Man
BASED SAKURAI
>Pac-Man
Neat.jpg
>Ryu
Ballin'
>Cloud
Cool. Why, though?
>Bayonetta
Well, shit. Okay, I guess.

I really want to play the original Bayo, though, and she does look fucking great to play as in Smash, though. I just don't think she deserved to be the winner of the ballot.
>>
>>320316650
>>320316296
Square Enix is holding the rights to everything from SMRPG hostage. Nintendo was barely able to get Geno to appear in a minigame in Superstar Saga
>>
>>320321057
>the winner of the ballot.
I fucking doubt that
>>
>>320316684
you forgot that bayonetta has a sequel exclusively on a nintendo console and a port of the first game
>>
>>320321219
The ballot was never a "most voted character gets in". Sakurai himself explained it. Most voted one within the realm of actual development. You would've got Goku or fucking Shrek if that wasn't the case. Also shi was the most voted in Europe, and top 5 in Murrica. I've read in other threads that Cloud was top 1 in Japan too, but take that with a grain of salt.
>>
>all these people saying that bayonetta didnt deserve to win the ballot

thats why its a fucking ballot its a popularity contest

you morons voted for her and she got in and you still complain about it
>>
>>320321481
They must have had a pretty limited set of negotiable/realisable characters if Bayonetta really topped their list worldwide. She really honest to god doesn't seem nearly that popular.
>>
I wish we had a single extra third party so we can finally have 8-player big name franchises.

>Jump Man
>Runnan man
>Shootan man
>Arcade man
>Fightan man
>RPG man
>Curayzee wo man
It's not fair, especially seeing as there are 7 DLC characters and 7 reps.
>>
>>320321680
I can easily see her being popular for character requests in smash though. Considering the other big name choices were like, King K Rool and Wolf.
>>
>Sonic
Pretty cool, important video game icon and biggest rival of Mario

>Mega Man
Awesome, iconic NES character and SNES character, has some of the best games of Nintendo systems.

>Pac Man
Neat, Icon of Arcades, and Namco mascot, maybe not as deserving as Sonic or Mega Man

>Ryu
Icon, SF2 was big for SNES, a welcome edition

>Cloud
Playstation Icon, very odd choice since he hasnt appeared on Nintendo systems

>Bayonetta
The least deserving 3rd party character, 2 games the first one was multiplat. not Iconic, or iconic to Nintendo.
>>
>>320321481
>goku and shrek must have been most popular!
I really doubt that.
>>
>>320311743
Honestly, Sonic and Mega Man were the only ones who deserved to be in the game.
>>
>>320322131
no Ryu?
>>
>>320321680
Bayo 2 being exclusive gave her a boost in popularity. Even people who don't play Smash voted for her. Also, we already know 2 of the top 5 most requested characters, so it should be easy to guess the others. For me would be, in no particular order:

>Cloud
>Bayo
>Snake
>Dixie
>Ridley

>>320322046
Memesters where all over miiverse since release. Look at the current Gamefaqs poll. Online polls are cancer because people vote for whatever the fuck they want, with no real interest of the purpose itself. In the case of Smash, that purpose is to celebrate videogames as a medium.
>>
Snake was probably #1 in the US but because of Jewnami, he wan't realizable
>>
>>320321179
>I just don't think she deserved to be the winner of the ballot.
I don't think you know how voting works
>>
>>320319526
Little Mac wears black and Ryu wears white
>>
>>320320656
Namco worked on the game and I'd rather see Pac than Hehachi or Nightmare. Plus, Pac's already been in Mario Kart
>>
>>320321182
Square used a lot in fortunestreet
>>
>>320316684
>>320317282

>Bayo

She's a SEGA rep, senpai

All that licensing dosh is going to SEGA for her.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.