[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To anyone who played both Majora's Mask 3DS and N64 versions.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 8
File: hqdefault.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
To anyone who played both Majora's Mask 3DS and N64 versions. Which did you like more?

I haven't played the 3DS version but from what I see the only good things about 3DS is the good frame rate and the slightly increased ambient effects. If anything I have to say that the N64's art style and vibe makes it look way more mature and creepy than the 3DS version.
>>
3ds version is a lot easier. Gives you the bombers notebook at the beginning. Bosses are all easier, and added glowing spots to show you where to shoot ice arrows.
>>
>>320307880
N64 version by far

Superior in every way except graphically. Don't listen to the faggots that try and tell you otherwise, the 3ds version is a downgrade.
>>
>>320309635
lol, don't listen to these people. If you've finished MM before then the most common complaint about MM3D is null; the game holding your hand too much.

MM3D is way better than the original. It's not even a matter of opinion really.
>>
>>320310225

As someone who hasn't played MM, handholding sounds like a major negative. Also, what does MM3D have going for it if it's so much better?
>>
>>320310523
not him but one thing I can say for sure about this and oot3d is the arrows are no longer a pain in the ass to shoot like they were with the shitty n64 analog. gyro controls are a godsend in this case
>>
>>320310523
Graphics, controls, just a general clarity provided aspects of the bombers notebook. There IS hand holding, but it's not necessary to use the bomber's notebook if you really don't want to. It's still the same game funamentally, so of course it's not much different but the changes are nice and only help.
>>
>>320310523
Do not listen to him.

They handhold the fuck out of you, remove the atmosphere with excessive brightness and lighting, downgraded zora swimming, and streamlined puzzles.

Don't get me started on the bombers notebook. 8 second unskippable cutscene every time you do anything, Jesus Christ why

There's a lot of minor things I could talk about that you wouldn't understand without playing the game
>>
>>320310881
My biggest gripe was the sped up time. Using the Song of Slow Time on the 3DS makes time seemingly pass by at the rate of normal time on the N64 version.
>>
File: syePoph.jpg (141 KB, 725x240) Image search: [Google]
syePoph.jpg
141 KB, 725x240
>>320309635
To be honest I feel the art style fucked up the better graphics even. Yes the textures are slightly better, but when you have everyone with eyes as big as half their face then the Majora's Mask effect kind of wears off.

Look at pic related for example. The newer version basically overdid it with the massive makeup and trying to make the grandmother look creepy intentionally or something straight from the grudge. But in the N64 version you can clearly see that she is a normal human being NPC in the game, but after looking at her for 7 seconds you see a slight subtleness that not everything is as it should be. That her smile is a little too sky or that her eyes are actually not telling the whole truth.

That's at least my opinion of the difference. The new version looks kid friendly and blatantly obvious while the original was dark, gritty, mature and subtle yet terrifyingly creepy.
>>
>>320310881
Look at this dumb nitpicking. If you're this big of a sperg, maybe you'd be convinced by posts like this but if you really just like fun games MM3D is BY FAR the best way to play MM these days.
>>
>>320310726
How is it any different from OoT3D?

I turn the gyros off in that, because you are almost always moving while playing a portable. That's the point of the game being portable. And it vies with the controls.
>>
I mostly like the 3DS version more, I wish it had the ornate clock of the original. A lot of redone assets look plasticy and sterile and it hurts the atmosphere, but it harmed OoT more because the changes were done with a little more care in MM.
The new conveniences and additions put it on top for me, despite a couple of things i like more in the original.
>>
>>320311096
>That her smile is a little too sly

Sorry. On phone. Fuck autocorrect.
>>
New version introduced a bunch of changes for no fucking reason other than just for the sake of change. The bank is now on the Clock Tower for no reason, the Bombers Notebook is now just given to you for no reason, the Stone Mask guy is now in the pirate fortress for no reason, etc. Those are just the three I remember off the top of my head, but I recall there being several more examples.
>>
>>320309431
you obviously must be younger than 18. there's just no fucking way.
>>
Only gameplay improvement was skipping time forward however far you wanted
All others a detraction
>actually less time
>bomber kids and notebook tells you instead of you finding out yourself
>Odolwa no fire
>Goht lost fight momentum as goron
>everything zora and ice arrow
>twinmold
Fishing hole is nice inclusion not that I think it fits with a time limit
>>
>>320311096
>she has no eyebrows in the 3DS version and her eyes are where her eyebrows were.

Hot dang.
>>
>>320310881
>downgraded zora swimming
this was my only problem. but it fucking ruined my favorite thing to do in the game
>>
>>320311151
>Look at this dumb nitpicking
if there's mold on part of the bread then the bread is ruined not just the part where the mold is
>>
>>320307880
for me the n64 ver the remake has some nice changes like goron being useful in combat but then worse swimming also they ruined goht in the remake not fun to fight anymore
>>
>>320311990
Shut the fuck up you dork. Your standards are absurd - and no, it's not a distinguishing characteristic.
>>
3DS version.

It improved on more things that it fucked up. Plus it's portable. Plus it has fishing and you can wear the FD mask in the fishing hole.

I was disappointed that there wasn't a Master Quest or even at least a basic Hero Mode.

>>320311402
>The bank is now on the Clock Tower for no reason
For convenience? Instead of having to go to east clock town to withdraw after starting a new set of 3 days, you can just run up behind the clock tower.

>the Stone Mask guy is now in the pirate fortress for no reason
They did this so you couldn't just use the stone mask from the get-go once you got to the pirate fortress. You had to at least pass a few areas before you got the stone mask.

The bomber's notebook thing is dumb though, I never understood why they did that.
>>
>>320311537
>memes: the post
>>
>>320312224
nice try
>>
3DS version had some nice retouches.

Did not like the way bosses were handled though.

>Odolwa doesn't even attack. You have to actually put more effort into dying than beating him.
>Ghot more or less the same
>Gyorg made more interesting, but the underwater mine phases is clumsy and annoying as FUCK
>Twinmold was made more interesting, but also way more tedious and not so fun as well
>Majora more or less the same
>>
File: mm 3ds NOTEBOOK change.png (2 MB, 800x1920) Image search: [Google]
mm 3ds NOTEBOOK change.png
2 MB, 800x1920
>>320307880
the 3DS port has quite a bunch of bad changes:

-For some reason deku has incredibly slow acceleration which makes any movement as deku, especially across lily pads, very painful
-Ice arrows are now next to useless
-Zora Swimming is awful, why do I have to blow all my magic to move fast.
-The boss fight changes are all bad
-Odolwa and Goht just feel like slower, more scripted and more limited versions of the old fights.
-Gyorg new 2nd phase is sort of interesting, but the first phase is now nothing but "look in the water and shoot" which isn't very fun
-Twinmold is the worst offender. The only purpose of the blue mold now is just to be the easy kill for the new donkey kong mask (which btw is also dumb, sword >>>>> punching) so it feels much more like "red mold with a blue mold cameo". Then the red mold takes forever because he has some stupid amount of HP. Feels like a very tedious fight the first time.
-The bombers notebook coming up with a 5-10 second notification every time you complete one single task, HOLY SHIT this is annoying. If it was quicker it wouldn't be much of a problem, but the fast that it forces you to sit there for several seconds so often is just awful.

Overall still a great game just because its MM but some of the changes can be pretty irritating.
>>
>>320311048

Go back and replay the N64 version please.

You are talking out of your ass.

Source: Someone who played MM3D twice through.
>>
>>320307880
They're both good but I prefer the original. Mostly because it feels more gloomy without the over saturated colors. The 3DS version has a different aesthetic and it was intentional. Not worse, just different. I probably have some nostalgia bias too.

The gameplay changes cancel each other out, for every improvement they added a detriment. The time manipulation was more convenient but the Bomber's notebook was way more annoying, etc.

I still enjoyed the 3DS version a lot, almost as much as the original. It was fun seeing everything with a new coat of paint. But when I replay it again I'd pick the N64 version.
>>
>>320307880
They're both the same game.
>>
3DS because 30fps.
>>
File: 1447110208316.jpg (96 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1447110208316.jpg
96 KB, 720x720
>>320307880
Marjorie's Mask is the only Zelda game I've yet beaten.

It's just that I'm severely autistic and when I played it as a kid I had no idea what the fuck to do so I never ended up finishing it.

Turns out I'm still severely autistic since after picking up the game I'm still stuck and got no clue what to do and I certainly don't want to check a walkthrough or anything like that.
>>
updated bosses are bad
underwater navigation, not limited to swimming, has really frustrating and inconsistent controls

gyro controls for shooting is the biggest pro

it's a toss up, do whatever
>>
>>320311230
I meant that in comparsion to their nintendo 64 counterparts, the arrow shooting is a lot easier in both games with gyro. but that's just my opinion. though i do think everyone can agree the arrow shooting with n64 stick was ass
>>
OP here. Looks like everyone has a different opinion and I have nothing to conclude. Well at least the 3DS version isn't a total flop. There are plenty of people defending it.
>>
>>320312213

>I was disappointed that there wasn't a Master Quest or even at least a basic Hero Mode.

This was the biggest disappointment for me. They should have at least added something tangible and changed it up a bit. An extra mode or something. I would have loved a Master Quest version of it.
>>
The only thing bad is the Zora swimming change, but even then, it's nothing to cry over.

I was definitely happy with the 3DS version, don't know why you wouldn't be. Listen to all the positive posts in this thread, not the negative ones that are clearly made by people with some sort of dysfunction.
>>
>>320313698
I'd even be happy if they just mirrored the game and doubled the damage as an unlockable mode. It'd be quick and dirty and add a ton of replay value.
>>
The 3DS version's notebook is still completely optional to use.
>>
>>320310881
what puzzles were streamlined?

the game only a TINY bit more handholding than the original. tiny. and that comes from the notebook.

the game still requires a lot of exploration and it's just as difficult as the original

they even fixed the shit-tier save system
>>
>>320313372

>can't beat a game made for children

What's the issue? Can you not beat any open-world games or is it just this one?
>>
FDL is useless now, except for the Odolwa and I think Goht, also Majora since he wasn't changed.
>>
>>320314015
just like in OoT3D, that fucking all-knowing Gossip Stone hint system literally destroys all need for exploration or thinking.
>>
>>320313925

Totally agree. Something like that would have been a simple change to mix it up. The fact they didn't even try is a bit annoying.
>>
>>320314351
Only if you use them right? Is that really destroying them then?
>>
Liked the 3D version for it's graphics, but that's all it has going for it. Oh, and the two fishing holes where your masks actually do something.

Other than that N64.
>>
>>320314351
you have to go out of your way to use those, moron
>>
>>320314151
It's just MM, just too hectic and bizarre for me.

I think it's the fact that everything is tied to time and you gotta switch back and forth ffor all of those events and so on.

It just feels extremely hectic in my mind, even though I've played a lot of Ateliers so I'm fine with the time management department.

Just the fact that halllf of the time I'm just roaming around, talking to everyone without having any clue what to do and the fact that events are tied to certain day and time makes it worse.
>>
>>320312960
>Someone who played MM3D twice through.
And apparently never played the original. Time flows demonstrably faster on the 3DS version.
>>
File: 1434128994462.png (27 KB, 352x482) Image search: [Google]
1434128994462.png
27 KB, 352x482
>>320314351
Why would you use that?
>>
>>320314351

That's a system designed entirely around new players. If you use it you're worse than people who look up wikis.
>>
>>320307880
3DS version improvements make the game way better than the original, which is still a great game.

Only thing that is worse in the 3DS version, is the zora swimming.
>>
>>320314750
>That's a system designed entirely around new players.
Why does Nintendo assume their user base are retarded? Children played the original Ocarina of Time just fine without the game outright telling you how to beat it, or giving you power ups that make you invincible.
>>
The N64
It's been a few months since I played the 3DS version so I can't remember quite so well. I had a lot of objections though.

Here's why I enjoyed it more:
3DS version is casual shit with no soul
>>
>>320314994
I dunno dude, there are children literally to child like to know so your point is invalid. It really doesn't matter.
>>
File: 1448778782672.jpg (54 KB, 688x960) Image search: [Google]
1448778782672.jpg
54 KB, 688x960
>>320314994
Children used to buy the official OoT guidebook for only 24.99$
>>
>>320315061
>with no soul
>using nebulous, meaningless buzzwords as a criticism
You may as well say the game isn't "comfy" or "lacks charm."
>>
>>320315226
It just didn't have that special spark, y'know?
>>
>>320309635
Visuals are one of the main reasons the N64 version is better, silly.
>>
>>320315061
>3DS version is casual shit with no soul

So you're saying you have clued some fucking thick nostalgia goggles to your eyes.
>>
>>320314994

Kids these days have 10,000 other things going on around them. Kind of hard to keep their attention on anything.

I can't imagine my 10 year old self back in 1998 having to worry about my social status through some shit like Facebook like you pretty much have to these days to have any type of social interaction.

It's pretty fucked up when you think about it. Hard to focus on anything when you're getting texted/updating useless shit all day long.
>>
>>320314597
>for it is graphics
>>
>>320315061
>no soul

this is a meaningless meme opinion, and it only means that you have a huge bias
>>
>>320315379
>I can't imagine my 10 year old self back in 1998 having to worry about my social status through some shit like Facebook
What the fuck does that have anything to do with Zelda?
>>
>>320315379
Dumb ass.
>>
I like MM3D because of the QoL fixes it made, essentially patching over the bs from the first game. It feels a bit smoother and it's easier to navigate menus.

MM just kinda felt cooler with the graphics all papery. all the textures were kinda sharp and hollow looking but everything just looked sorta heavy and immovable at the same time.

I brokerMM3D as soon as I got the max wallet and travelled to the great sea for the Jar Game with the boomerang fins. I farmed rupees and bought my way through everything.

I dunno, it's really fun seeing it in 3D. I'd say it's worth.
>>
>>320314614

Use a guide then
>>
>>320315485

My point is that Nintendo implemented a hand-holding system for kids probably because kids have their faces shoved into a phone all day because their attention span is that of a mosquito.
>>
N64 Goht > 3DS Goht
N64 Gyorg and Twinmold < 3DS Gyorg and Twinmold
both odolwa fights are boring shit so who cares about him
>>
>no mention about Double Song of Time

Guys, it made Majora's Mask playable and not just "Sitting Around: The Game".
>>
>>320315719
I don't want to.
>>
>>320315379
dude every generation of kids in school for the past 50 years has worried about their social status.

yor fockin hi m8
>>
>>320307880

the 3DS version is trash. it tells you exactly what to do and where to go. The whole point of the game was figuring it out for yourself. there were plenty of hints, I beat it when I was 10 with all masks.
>>
>>320315721
You're projecting, it's literally just more accessible. There are still kids who play in both ways, but waaaaaaaaaaay more kids can play MM now then they did then.
>>
Anyone else never use the bomber's notebook at all? It makes the game too simple.
>>
>>320315973
I just went from memory
>>
File: giphy.gif (4 MB, 400x253) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
4 MB, 400x253
>>320307880
>mature
>>
>>320316152
Suck a dick. You know what he means.
>>
The beaver race is fucking garbage in the 3DS version. If you even so much as look the wrong way at the rings, you'll ricochet off of them at top speed and never recover. Took me so many tries.

Everyone told me to get gud but I WAS GOOD AT THE N64 ONE
>>
Am I the only one that thinks they really ruined the deku link in the 3ds version?

It just looks so synthetic.
>>
Played both and the N64 is much better. And that's not even the nostalgia talking.
>>
>>320312959
>No, really. Take it. Use it. Now.

I hate this kind of speech, reminds me of how pseudo intellectual 14yr olds type on this board from time to time. Is this literal Japanese translated?
>>
>>320318160
Its nothing special. Its just using imperatives to make a character sound pushy and commanding.
>>
I think both are about even.

>Good:
The 3ds version has better visuals without ruining thee atmosphere, a better gyorg fight, fishing, doesn't make you rewatch the business scrub cutscene, and a better framerate, song of double time allowing you to choose specific times to fast foward to. Gyro arrow controls

>Neutral:
The bombers notebook is a little less obtuse and more organic to use, but it's also a little too helpful. Likewise, the save system is less obtuse, but allowing you to save without it being attached to going back in timee also removes some of the stress the gam is meant to invoke, but you can impose thee limit artificially anyways. twinmold fight is different but not better or worse

>Bad
Odolwa fight was made very easy, especially with the deku mask. Ice arrows can't be used just anywhere anymore. Zora swimming less fun, which outweighs the benefit of easier control in tight spaces.

>>320310881
>>320307880
>>320311357
As somebody who really, really loves thee atmosphere of the original, I think th 3ds remake keeps it nearly identically intact.
>>
>>320315874
Yeah, because as we all know, Zelda games were always commercial failures because kids thought they were too hard.
>>
>>320319104
No it's because, you don't seem to know, way more people including kids play games now than ever.
>>
N64 because they DIDN'T FUCK WITH SWIMMIN AS A ZORA FUCK YOU NINTENDO
>>
>>320309431
>3ds version is a lot easier. Gives you the bombers notebook at the beginning.

Given you've played it before, how can you possibly judge. It's the kind of game where an extra play through is naturally going to be way easier, given you've played through the events.
>>
>>320313689
That that's necessary to preserve the difficult of the shooting gallery minigame.
>>
>>320318886
this anon speaks the truth
is the only no meme opinion in this thread
>>
Honestly it's better purely for the better frame rate and lack of crashing
>>
>>320312842
I am a huge fan of the original MM and I literally quit playing at the Gyorg fight in the remake. That mine phase was the clunkiest bullshit ever, and whoever greenlighted that should be shot.
>>
>>320313372
Don't worry chino-chan, I had to use a walkthrough when I was a kid too.
Now I basically remember the whole game so I'm sad I'll never get to experience a first playthrough of this.
>>
>>320314015
I feel like everyone that had a problem with the original save system forgot that you can save at the fucking owl statues
>>
>>320315296
The original never had that either. It always felt like a cheap hackjob that haphazardly used OoT's resources to fit in its deadlines.
>>
It's a very meh game and neither version, no matter the differences, will make it any better.
>>
>>320315770
It bothers me how want to admit this the original game's fans are. Now you can actually rapidly experiment with various ways of interacting with the NPCs.
>>
>>320307880
N64.

3DS version isn't tremendously worse or anything, but the original game is my favorite of all time and I didn't like the changes.
>>
3ds is objectively better in almost every way, except for the graphics. too bright, ruins the atmosphere. it's the same problem with oot3ds
>>
I think the Gamecube version is better. The wii version added motion controls and reversed everything, not my cup of tea.
>>
3DS version because you don't have to deal with that gay save system.
>>
>>320318886
I agree with this guy 100%.
>>
File: AQTudOA.png (79 KB, 338x403) Image search: [Google]
AQTudOA.png
79 KB, 338x403
>>320318886
>Twinmold battle not a con

How can it not be. It's a QTE. Kind of jarring to play a game that stays 99% faithful to the original and then have to suffer that.

You can't even beat it as normal Link anymore by shooting arrows at them. One of my favorite past-times in the original was trying to run up to Twinmold's tails and slashing at them with the sword before they went down.

It probably inspired Shadow of the Colossus in fact.

Now it's just a generic fight.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.