[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>A new survey finds that men and women play video games in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: gamers.png (609 KB, 638x612) Image search: [Google]
gamers.png
609 KB, 638x612
>A new survey finds that men and women play video games in roughly equal measure -- but men are much more likely to call themselves "gamers."
>The Pew Research Center published the new findings on Wednesday. Surveys were conducted on 2,001 American adults in June and July this year. All told, 50 percent of men and 48 percent of women of any age said they play video games, but 15 percent of men "identify as 'gamers'" while only 6 percent of women do. The numbers are more split for the 18-29 age bracket, where 77 percent of men and 57 percent of women say they play video games but 33 percent of men and a paltry 9 percent of women identify as gamers.
>"There's clearly something there that makes young women say, 'Gosh, I don't identify with this community,'" Brianna Wu said.
>"Anyone can look at the video game industry and see the product we put out and say we suck at representing women. It's a very predictable consequence of 30 years of making video games a boys club," she added.
>Women are also questioned even when they identify as gamers. For example, when this exact subject came up in the Guardian last year, commenters were quick to allege that women aren't actually gamers because maybe they're just playing smartphone games.
>If you're trying to claim that "Candy Crush" is in some way an inherently different activity than "Fallout 4," you're just wrong. They're both electronic interactive entertainment of the very same sort.
>It's a flawed premise anyway, as there's no reason to believe that women, as opposed to men, favor smartphone games over console games. In fact, it's arguable that more women than men own video game consoles.
>And if you were really going to be a stickler, you could crack open the gosh darn Merriam-Webster, look at the definition of "gamer" and realize that it's simply "a person who plays games and especially video or computer games."

So what do you, /v/ consider to be a true gamer?
>>
File: XXglPX7.jpg (64 KB, 633x708) Image search: [Google]
XXglPX7.jpg
64 KB, 633x708
POST YFW BAYO IN SMASH
>>
>>320300954

>do you play video games (on PC, console, smartphone, tablet, handheld?)
>if yes, you're a gamer

Seems simple to me
>>
>>320300954
>So what do you, /v/ consider to be a true gamer?

A person whose main interest is games.
>>
>>320300954
Who cares. Identifying as a gamer was always the faggiest thing ever anyway.
>>
>>320300954

Can't I just play fucking video games without a shitty, lameass autistic title like 'gamer'?
>>
>If you're trying to claim that "Candy Crush" is in some way an inherently different activity than "Fallout 4," you're just wrong. They're both electronic interactive entertainment of the very same sort.

>people actually believe this
>literally saying Candy Crush micro transaction bullshit is the same thing as actual AAA vidya

>In fact, it's arguable that more women than men own video game consoles.

HAHA OKAY YOU LOST ME
>>
>>320301330

Define "main interest"
>>
>>320300954
These threads are shit. I'd rather this board turn into /smash/ instead of seeing anymore of this fucking shit.
>>
>>320300954
>>If you're trying to claim that "Candy Crush" is in some way an inherently different activity than "Fallout 4," you're just wrong. They're both electronic interactive entertainment of the very same sort.

FO4 confirmed as shallow and shitty as Candy Crush.
>>
File: 14234610716.gif (21 KB, 455x364) Image search: [Google]
14234610716.gif
21 KB, 455x364
>>320301209
>>
>>320301438

>drive a toyota corolla
>drive a ferrai 458

They're both cars and you're still a driver, friend
>>
>>320301460

The thing he spends more time, effort and/or money on than in anything else in his life.
>>
>>320301701
More like calling someone who drives a scooter the same as someone who drives a Ferrari 458
>>
>>320301713

There is literally no one, who spends the majority of their time gaming other than: earning income, obtaining shelter, getting food, getting clothing, etc.
>>
>>320301701

That's too generous. It should be comparing a race car and a toy car.
>>
>>320300954
that contradicts with all their profiles saying "yes I'm a girl gamer, font hit on me silly boys" which became a stereotype overnight.
also I think the media, kids and esports or "hardcore gamers" call themselves that, nobody else really calls themselves that anymore, right?
>>
>>320301878

But they're both drivers.
>>
I'm a male and I would never fucking call myself a "gamer"

That's just asking to get strange looks in a social context
>>
>"Hello, I'm doing a poll. Do you play video games?"
>"I played Flappy Bird on my iphone once."
>"That means you do play video games."
>>
>>320301912

Actually there are countless millions of people who do. Obtaining food, shelter, etc. is incredibly easy in modern society and takes no great effort, mental or physical. Our lives are mainly shaped by what we care about the most, gamers care the most about games, with everything else getting second place at best.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.