[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how does valve manage to be so succesfful with their games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: vlave.png (257 KB, 494x553) Image search: [Google]
vlave.png
257 KB, 494x553
how does valve manage to be so succesfful with their games?
>>
Skins
>>
>>320265515
they dont release half assed games like fallout 4
>>
valvedrones
>>
2 of those are FTP
>>
>>320265791
el oh el
>>
By pushing them as eSports.

Seriously, you don't need to pump $800 million while the game is being developed in order to successfully market it. All you need to do is set aside $10 million for post-release tournaments and suddenly all the people with shit taste will flock to your game.
>>
>>320265515

f2p garbage with micro hat transactions.
>>
File: 1245358334806.png (353 KB, 592x1831) Image search: [Google]
1245358334806.png
353 KB, 592x1831
>>320265515
Supporting them for a long time I'd say. You know you generally get good value for the money with Valve games. Unlike EA or Ubisoft who know their games are shit and dead within a month so they try to drag 100 bux or more out of you before the game is even released. Even if the game is not shit the sequel the year after will kill it.
>>
>>320265515
Lowest common denominator.
>>
Low barrier to entry (e.g. F2P or low fixed cost) and running on dogshit computers encourage 3rd worlders and kids to buy in
>>
File: 1422993725092.png (18 KB, 324x304) Image search: [Google]
1422993725092.png
18 KB, 324x304
>tfw valve doesn't make games anymore
>>
>multiplayer
>either free or nowhere near full $60 retail
>microtransactions
>dedicated community
>most pushed games since valve owns the distribution

It's not hard to see why. The F2P/Microtransaction plan is reason enough, merely looking at the profits of mobile gaming tells you the average consumer is an idiot and will throw money at something they enough, even if it doesn't change the experience in the slightest.
>>
>warframe 40k players
w0t
>>
>>320265515
CS:GO, TF2, Dota 2 item drop system incentivizes farming those games with bots for steam pennies, or at the very least makes you go "I guess I'll play a round of CS:GO this week, maybe I'll get a valuable crate"
>>
>tfw 170 CS:GO crate keys
>tfw don't even own the game
>tfw don't play MP games
>tfw torrent single player games

Would sell them if the risk of being scammed through paypal wasn't so high
>>
>>320268045
It's kind of a fun game. Also it has some kind of auction house type thing now, not sure if that's an incentive for botters but probably
>>
>>320265515
I should play some more Civ 5, I haven't beaten every scenario on deity yet.
>>
>>320268485
I hate how much valve has fucked trading. I used to do a lot of DOTA trading (back when the crates were actual crates) and recently I tried to sell some of my valuable stuff (like $180 worth), but holy shit was it a challenge. You can't even trade for games anymore.
>>
>>320265515
They are apple of gamedevs. They steal games created by others and make money out of them with their resources to make any good idea excellent.
>>
>>320268036
it's the gambling & betting, yo.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.