[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is La-Mulana more fun if you constantly read a guide?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10
File: header.jpg (39 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
39 KB, 460x215
Is La-Mulana more fun if you constantly read a guide?
>>
Nah, its way more fun when you finally figure out that one puzzle on your own

Though to be fair it can also be more frustrating in that regard
>>
File: 12323425463.jpg (60 KB, 595x454) Image search: [Google]
12323425463.jpg
60 KB, 595x454
no
>>
>>320252363
It gets worse if you read that banner two times, and the game changes to hard
>>
>>320252464
It's more satisfying, but at the same time, I definitely wouldn't have been able to beat the game completely blind. Some of the puzzles are really bullshit, and it can get really confusing where you're supposed to go next.
>>
i went in the game with the idea of not using a guide but quickly gave up the first time i got stuck

honestly even WITH a guide it's so obtuse that i have no fucking idea how anyone could finish the game without one
>>
>>320252363
So my sort of logic was If I spent more than 3 hours with absolutely no progress I would consult a guide only so it didnt become a chore. Some of the stuff isnt really a simple enough logical leap to solve anyway
>>
>>320253394
Its not too bad early on as long as you write every note down.

I think I've killed around 5 bosses so far and I've only needed help once (couldn't for the life of me figure out that the bones in the gate of illusions was actually a switch).
>>
File: chips.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
chips.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>you have to write everything down
yea i imagine people finding my notes and thinking i am some kind of schizophrenic
>>
>>320255048
>letting people have access to your stuff

I'd be more worried about my loli folder than my la-mulana notes
>>
Doing the final puzzle before unlocking true mother shrine is borderline impossible without a guide.
>>
File: 1410976083863.png (88 KB, 253x224) Image search: [Google]
1410976083863.png
88 KB, 253x224
>>320255165
but anon...
What happens if you die and they have to look at your shit anyway?
>>
For regular human beings La Mulana is more fun if you use a guide (only when you get stuck) because if you don't you will absolutely never finish the game and wander aimlessly for hours and get frustrated and quit.

For people who take the most extensive notes imaginable or who have the ability to see into the future, the game is more fun without a guide.

But either way if you're consulting a guide just because you ran into some new thing and don't even bother trying to figure it out you won't enjoy it as much.
>>
>>320255409
All my drives are encrypted for this very reason. Once I die, all my shit dies with me.
>>
>>320252363
Nah. If you're having difficulties, make sure to write things down, be it on a notebook on your desk or in a notepad on your computer. That's how it's meant to be played and even the creator's own tutorial outright says this.

You're meant to write things you read and find out about to solve puzzles and whatnot in other parts of the ruins. Honestly, I love it since it gives me something physical to remember all the hardships and victories I've had in the game with a notebook.
>>
I killed three bosses before giving up and looking up a guide to fight the twin snake boss.

Then I dropped the game out of shame. I'll probably restart the save file once I've forgotten everything in a couple years.
>>
>>320254532
Not just every note, but EVERYTHING suspicious. Suspicious backgrounds, suspicious symbols, suspicious fairy locations, suspicious areas, that seem to be unaccesible for know, even more suspicious areas, that seem to be accessible, but completely useless, suspicious switches, that doesn't do anything.

And drawings.
>>
I played halfway through the game looking at guides from time to time, but I quit it until I forget everything and I can play blind from the start (and because apparently I skipped some important stuff). Don't spoil the game for you OP
>>
>>320255789
Would be the writing function implemented inside the game be enough?
>>
File: 1450059573416.jpg (75 KB, 480x533) Image search: [Google]
1450059573416.jpg
75 KB, 480x533
>>320253005
> read the stone because why wouldn't I read a stone
>"you're gonna die"
> run the fuck away, dodge that rock
> think that it'll have a neat little message or something
> it calls me an idiot and unlocks hard mode
Well that's bullshit. Good thing I checked online to see if it was reversible.
>>
>>320255986
Only of you are willing to second screen the wiki. Thats how I did it.
>>
>>320252363
I tried doing it without a guide and writing everything down. It was extremely satisfying doing the mausoleum of giants like that but it gets very confusing very quickly and there is no way to beat this game without using a guide for at least one of the puzzles.
>>
>>320252363
Personally, it's more fun blind.
Figuring things out on your own is satisfying, plus it's the only game I've played besides Uplink where you have to take notes.
>>
File: 1371478625233.jpg (162 KB, 524x780) Image search: [Google]
1371478625233.jpg
162 KB, 524x780
I played through most of the game without a guide, taking notes of everything and having a good time, but I gave in eventually. I don't regret it, some of the late-game puzzles are pretty poorly thought-out. If you can do it without a guide, good on you, but it's not for me.

I really hope the second game is consistently as good as La-Mulana's early and mid-game. Mausoleum of Giants, Moonlight Temple and Gate of Illusion were all amazing. even though "take a knee" was a stupid fucking puzzle that I solved by accident

>>320255329
To be fair, you can bruteforce that one. There's more heinous puzzles than the mantras.
>>
It's playable with a guide
>>
Played the original release with a guide, but I managed to forget all the puzzles in time for the remake.

I can't wait to play La-Mlana 2 guideless.
>>
>>320258043
That's the beauty of it, Anon, there won't be a guide.
>>
File: 1425865168504.jpg (171 KB, 854x859) Image search: [Google]
1425865168504.jpg
171 KB, 854x859
>>320258138
a game so complex not even the dev can finish
>>
>>320258043
Has there even been any substantial updates since the kickstarter?

I got into the game late so I didn't get a chance to back it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (322 KB, 788x891) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
322 KB, 788x891
>>320258446
They've got the maps all layed out.
>>
File: SexyBeachPremiumResort.jpg (43 KB, 275x400) Image search: [Google]
SexyBeachPremiumResort.jpg
43 KB, 275x400
>>320258446
Last I heard, the devs are, "now fully commited to development."

Either that, or fucking Unity is ruining another Japan game sequel.
>>
There is just no way you can complete it without a guide. Some puzzles are just fucking impossible. You have to be some sort of puzzle savant to think of the Mantra solution. A lot of it reeks of that old game puzzle style where you're told Tail and expected to answer Monkey instead of Dog.

I'd say that the best way is to play with a guide if only to get over those puzzles.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.