[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Magic Wars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (207 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
207 KB, 1280x720
>Class-based team shooter
>Every class is a different kind of magic user in generic fantasy
>Warlock, Sorcerer, Wizard, Witch, Priest, Sage
>All fit a particular role, can select spells to take with them into battle
>Unlike TF2, spells do not go into slots, any combination can be selected, and no two are too alike(E.G. no 'X spell is just like Y spell, but the projectile moves slower and does more damage')
Thoughts? Would /v/ play?
>>
So, basically Magicka x Lichdom?
>>
>>320251851
...I honestly haven't played either of those. Isn't Lichdom that game where you like craft spells but they all end up either total garbage or overpowered fuckstorms?
>>
>>320250667
I'd play it, but only if it was fast paced and had a necromancer class.
>>
>>320252157
I thought about a necromancer class but it seems like there wouldn't be a way to make it work. You would either summon one big NPC minion who would effectively give your team an extra body or a bunch of small ones who would end up hording people with single-target damage, I can't think of a way it'd be fun for anyone but the Necromancer.
But if there would be a way to make it work, I'd absolutely go for the Necromancer.
>>
>>320250667
>>Warlock, Sorcerer, Wizard, Witch, Priest, Sage
Neat, you've read a thesaurus! Now tell me the mechanical differences between each class.
>>
File: 200__rad.jpg (18 KB, 267x395) Image search: [Google]
200__rad.jpg
18 KB, 267x395
I like your idea OP
>>
>>320252380
It's simple. You make him an engineer equivalent.
Have him be able to summon like 3 skeltals max that follow him around and can be ordered to do simple commands.

He'd be able to summon or upgrade them with some sort of soul/magic pool that he needs to build up over time.
The skeltals would work well for distracting and causing havoc, but would lack the durability or raw damage input of a player.
Perhaps there could be multiple summoning skills that could be swapped out. Perhaps one being a big strong enemy that requires a lot of magic/souls/etc to summon, or one that allows for 5 skeltals max that would be weak as fuck but could be summoned way more frequently due to a lower "cost".
>>
>>320252430
#AutismSpeaks
>>
A cleric could work well.
Though you're going with the whole magic theme, a more melee-focused class with weaker ranged magic would work nicely.
>>
>>320252380
I don't see how that's a problem. Necromancer fucks single target dps but gets fucked by AoE burst. Meanwhile AoE burst boy is most likely a glass cannon so single target dps beats him.

Seems balanced to me.
>>
>>320250667
I'm imagining this as an FPS, and I'm liking it.
>>
>>320252157
>>320252380
>>320252430
Basic class ideas I had.
>Warlock- single-target damage dealer, high attack/speed, easy to kill from a range(unless the Warlock himself uses spells built for range, then he's easy to kill up close.
>Sorcerer- Area of effect damage dealing. Also high dam/speed, low defense. Could even have a lot of spells that cost health but have lifesteal, meaning that you generally risk death to do the crazy damage he does.
>Wizard- Jack of all trades, has a lot of general purpose spells but nothing incredibly unique.
>Witch- Another jack of all trades but instead of general purpose spells, has tons of weird shit. Doesn't technically cast spells but instead throws potions- mechanically the same, just different flavor.
>Priest- Healer and defender class. Heals and buffs other players, and to a lesser extent himself. Also may have a couple decently powerful AoE spells to create openings for escape should he find himself alone.
>Sage- Area denial, trapping. Sets up 'smoke seals' that have various effects upon entry- poisoning enemies, buffing allies. Could even set up 'guardians' that will patrol areas and chase down enemies it finds. Only sorcerers and warlocks would have a chance against a guardian but guardians are easy to escape and/or hide from within their area of patrol.
>>
Warlocks are male witches. Sorcerers and wizards are the same thing.
>>
File: 1438609932505.gif (3 MB, 343x400) Image search: [Google]
1438609932505.gif
3 MB, 343x400
>>320252430
Warlock would have dark powers he got from a pact with a demon so like hellfire or extra health.
Sorcerer could be a fast paced class with flashy spells for mobility or illusions.
Wizard has the big spells where he could snipe people with lots of damage or be in the fray with better close range spells.
Witch could have debuff spells and nature/dark spells. I'm not sure, I can't think of a witch other than a hag from D&D.
Priest obviously heals and buffs his allies using holy power from his god.
Sage honestly sounds like just another wizard but a different name. Like he's an older wizard. So we could probably use a different class.

Those are my ideas, not OP.
>>
>>320253182
I guess. Still though, would be frustrating to be running around as a Warlock and suddenly a bunch of skellys round the corner.

>>320253314
Warlocks are people who have made a pact with a magical/demonic being for magical power in return for their soul.
Witches are normal people without magical ability but who know how to use/have access to magical materials to give themselves temporary power.
Wizards have barely above average magical ability but have honed it to a fine point through study.
Sorcerers have immense innate magical ability but it is wild and they can't control it a lot.
>>
>>320250667
does someone know the name of a game where you play as a wizard. it's third person on PC.
>not Harry Potter
>>
>>320253282
I sort of like it, but you'd really need to flesh out and differentiate the roles further.
TF2 has easily distinguishable roles. The potential problem here is that these characters have to have spells and abilities that you can immediately recognize comes from them.
If your wizard can pick lightning, fire, or a bunch of other elements, how are you going to be able to tell that what just whizzed by you was shot off by a wizard?

Class recognition is key in team based games, and if its not done right, it'll end up looking like a clusterfuck.
Or in this case, a laser light show of different kinds of magic coming from everywhere.
>>
>>320253314
Depends on the setting. If we go by D&D terms, warlocks have a patron which influence their powers, so you might have a lovecraftian warlock with tentacle-related shit and mindfuckery, fey warlocks with illusion and crazy shit like goblin king in the labyrinth, or just a classic old demonic warlord with lots of hellfire and shit.

Sorcerers use magic they get from their bloodline, typically draconic shit. It's more brutish and offensive elemental magic, sometimes chaotic wild magic with radiant bullshit going on. If we go by elder scrolls terms they're armored mages though.

Wizards are academics and masters in at least one field. I'd argue a wizard is more than just spellcasting, with political and social standing being a factor as to what makes them wizards. Typically they earn their rank through lots of hard work and research. Versatile with their spells, sometimes considered magical batman for having a utility spell for any situation.

In anthropology, witches are really just people who deal out hexes and curses, which means they could be male. We're probably not talking about anthropological witches though, so in that case I'd figure witches curse people and do a whole bunch of potion-related shit and transmutation stuff, turning fucks into frogs and whatnot. Primarily debilitation, some kind of nature theme.
>>
>A laser light show of magic coming from everywhere
That's almost what I'm going for. You know on pl_hightower when you're at that last room and everyone's in there shooting at each other and it's fucking chaos? That's the shit I like. But in that example, a sniper lightning shot, you'll know it came from a Warlock, Wizard or Sorcerer. Sometimes that'll just happen. But a lot of the time you'll know who did what.
>Lot of smoke around here, gotta be a Sage putting this up
>That guy's glowing, must be getting buffed by a Priest
>Bloodstains means Warlocks are at work
>Lots of damage to the environment means a Sorcerer tore through
>Splattered potions means a Witch
>None of the above means a Wizard
>>
>>320253668
That's why you make your skellys weak and deal less damage as a player.
And if your warlock can't deal with a few skellies, then it's time to think about if your warlock is actually balanced or not.

In the right hands, and in a good team based game, a character should be able to be mastered completely.
A great warlock player that's more skilled than the opponents he's facing should be able to kill them in an "uneven" fight.
If he can't due to class restriction, it's simply not a good class. In all "good" team based FPS titles, skill defines the effectiveness, not the class itself.
The only thing the class deals with is how the person wants to play, and what can be contributed to the team.
That's also the obvious reason why all team-based games have objectives rather than being more deathmatch based- but I'm sure you already knew that.
>>
>>320253984
Well the wizard obviously has a pointy hat and a fantastical bushy beard.
>>
>>320254626
If that's what you want, a team based game isn't what you're looking for.
A clusterfuck is ultimately not fun in a "do the objective" scenario. If you have too much going on, the strategy diminishes, and the combat basically turns into a crapshoot.

If you want that, it might be easier to pull off in a Quake-like deathmatch/FFA shooter with classes instead.
>>
>>320250667

I just want Magicka as an FPS
Simple element combos for quick left click/right click spells
Intricate combos for anything bigger, basically incantations

Everyone is a glasscannon unless constantly wasting mana/resource on defense

The first spell I would cast is Semen Eruption if this game existed.
I loved PVP even in Magicka - its a huge shame netcode was utter dogshit and nobody played.
Dayum those 2-3 30~minute long duels I had with competent people, constantly nullyfing eachothers spells a hair's breadth from total annihilation

Felt like wizardry yo
>>
>>320253984
>>320254736
Visual distinctions for characters
>Wizards have pointy hats and flowing robes, cast with a staff and a book
>Witches also have pointy hats and flowing robes, but also have shrunken heads and shit hanging off them, throwing potions from a sack
>Sorcerers wear light armor, float around everywhere, pretty easy to spot, no casting implement
>Warlocks wear heavy armor with capes, have horns, carry enchanted one-handed weapons(swords, axes, maces, w/ever, can be changed)
>Priests wear simple robes, no hat, clutch a book closely, keep their hands together
>Sages wear ornate karategis and masks, places seals with chalk and a thurible
>>
>>320255527
Maybe you can give the witch/wizard a cowl/hood if it's not already taken by someone else.
>>
>>320255453
Magicka was special
>>
>>320250667
make it third person like space marine or battlefront and you have a deal
>>
>>320253282
make witch summon small familiars and have potion throwing for an alchemist
>>
>>320255453
Sounds kinda like Lichdom: Battlemage?
>>
>>320255453
I think you might enjoy grimoire manastorm
>>
>>320255987
Wizards could have hoods, maybe. The game could probably have character customization, at some point.
>>
Id buy it
>>
>>320256216

I got like 1-2 hours into Lichdom, it was extremely boring and a shallow ass magic system

Maybe it could've been worth something if it wasnt this boring-ass single player, or all about those samey-as-fuck spells.

>>320256035

It was, I was speedrunning it for achievements before I could get my friends to coop it, and when they were finally willing they just shat around abusing the same spells endlessly.

I almost vomited from Magicka 2 on first glance though....why did they have to change things that were working so perfectly?
>>
I want some type of mage that only uses touch spells and has some sort of teleport akin to dragon age inquisition fade step

So I can pretend im a ninja mage.
>>
>>320256491
We played through the campaign in coop and it took us ages because we'd just constantly start fights with each other. After we were done ith it we spent another 20 hours or so dueling in the arena
I didn't bother trying out Magicka 2 after I've read about how they botched a perfectly fine system
>>
>>320256652
Touch ranger pls go
>>
>>320256409
>>320250667
This exists.

It just didn't really take off, unfortunately.
>>
>>320256751
Who
>>
Sounds good OP. Here's a few more ideas.

> Shaman: Puts down totems that act as turrets, healing beacons of force field generator. Essentially Engineer.
> Druid: Shapeshifter. Mostly melee class. Most of his spells are shapeshifting into different forms, ie. bear (slow but strong) or eagle ( fast, flying but weak as fuck)
> Blood Mage: Edgy class that hurts himself to damage or debuff enemies.
> Alchemist: Throws potions. Healing, buffs and arena denial.
>>
>>320256771
Well yea, because it was tainted by early access.
It's made a lot of cool progress though.
>>
>>320256409

Thanks, looks interesting though kind of clunky

Though the part of what I love in Magicka's system is the element/recipes - it just fits perfectly with magic, specific elements in specific order giving you a grand spell - or if you fuck it up a pos-to-good spell/beam or outright self destruction.
The faster you put it in, the more capable the mage you are, and the higher the chance that you'll fuck it up.

Translates so perfectly to "spellcasting".

>>320256669

Oh yeah, I wouldn't have minded the constant TKing if we they weren't just constantly trying to cheap out on enemies, or if atleast they learn't the revive spell and put it in under 0.5sec as you should.
>>
>>320256931
It was a spec in Guild Wars 1 where rangers would pack necromancer touch life leech spells and some of their class shit to run around and touch enemies to death
>>
>>320256965
>Shaman
I wanted Sage to fill the role of Engineer without being a straight retexture of him.
>Blood Mage
Flavorwise, too similar to Warlock(edgy), Sorcerer(damages himself), and Priest(buffs allies)
>Alchemist
Once again, healing, buffs and area denial are all already covered,
>>
>>320257194
I never played guild wars, that sounds sweet.
>>
>>320257338
Guild Wars was fantastic, a shame GW2 was nothing like it
That spec caused a lot of butthurt because it was cheap as hell but very effective
>>
>>320256669
>>320257107
They've fixed the magic combo system to be more like the first one and even added in a new sub element, so that's nice.

However they still have yet to add a pvp mode because they want people to play wizard wars, which I'm pretty sure still uses the fucked up system and limits you element conjuring to 3 instead of 5.
>>
I've never played magicka, anyone want to play co op with me?
>>
>>320253953
Magicka?
Magicka: Wizard Wars?
Magicka 2?
Morrowind? Oblivion? Skyrim?
>>
I like the idea OP.
I once had similar idea, but mine was basically Quake 3 with Magicka setting and spellmaking mechanic.

But yes, Magic Fortress 2 could also be fun idea.
How would you make it? Would you make kickstarter where I can give you 20 EUR?
Would you make it in Unreal Engine 4 or Source 2?
>>
>>320253282
>>320256965
>>320257284
So, so far, classes are
>Warlock, Wizard, Witch, Sorcerer, Sage, Priest, as previously mentioned
>Necromancer- summons weak melee or ranged minions who follow him around, guard an area, or scout an area. Can upgrade these minions with 'souls' or something, retrieved from freshly dead bodies, esp. bodies of people you killed or assisted in killing. Thin, hooded figure wearing light armor over robes, carrying a skull crozius.
>Druid- Almost purely melee. Turns into animals, uses plant life to augment self(a la Oakenflesh). Lots of raw power and defense, very VERY little if any ranged power. Appears as a tribalesque woman wearing lots of artefacts.
>Monk- Also pure melee class, casts touch spells. Less raw damage than the Druid but can apply interesting debuffs and various other effects with with spells. Somewhat more ranged ability than the Druid too, being able to close distances quickly and have some simple ranged spells(throwing fireballs, Hadoukens, etc). Appears as a shirtless dude with magic tattoos, always moving if he's doing his job that is
>>
>>320261139
If I had any idea how to go about directing a game, finding programmers, artists, writers, animators, etc. I would definitely do it in Unreal 4 with a Kickstarter. But I really don't even know where to start. I mean, everyone has probably two or three incredible ideas for games that they've really formulated and fleshed out, myself included. But yeah man, if people are actually interested, I might start on this and keep /v/ updated.
>>
>>320261772
I'd scrap the monk honestly, it doesn't seem like it fits in with the theme
>>
>>320264373
Someone offered the idea of touch spells for the Sage, I think it was. I wanted a kind of less-extreme, more magic-y counterpart to the Druid, and someone to associate with the Sage flavorwise.
Perhaps a flavor change is in order for him though. Can't think of what though.
>>
>>320264373
I say reskin him, not delete him.
>>
>>320264373
>>320264656
Change him to what though? That's my dilemma.
>>
>>320265046
What about
>Spellsword
>Wears light armor, no robes, maybe a hood
>Dual wields shortswords, hand axes, shillelaghs, w/ever
>>
File: vermintide.jpg (646 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
vermintide.jpg
646 KB, 1920x1080
If only we could get the guys who made Vermintide on this, it'd be so good. That kind of control, with more emphasis on movement, would be absolutely perfect for this.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.