[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls control scheme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: padps.png (44 KB, 620x450) Image search: [Google]
padps.png
44 KB, 620x450
So, I've started playing Dark Souls with an Xbox 360 controller, but I'm having a hard time getting used to the default control scheme.

RT = Strong Attack?

Nonsense.

Granted, I only played it for 10 minutes yesterday. So I'm still trying to decide whether to stick to the default and gitgud or change to something more comfortable early on.

What did you guise do?

>pic related is the control scheme I would go for
>>
>>320246387
just do like everyone and play with the default you stupid fuck, it works well after you get used to it like every fucking game
>>
>>320246387
>toggle two handed on the pressure of the r3
No OP, don't do it.
>>
>>320246574
Yeah, that might be a clusterfuckery idea. I might just change the roll to X (or A on the Xbox) because that's where my finger goes for dodging. No idea why.
>>
>>320246387
The idea of having the attack, strong attack, parry and block abilities on the bumper/triggers is so that your hands are completely free to control the camera during combat, meaning you only have to take your right thumb off the camera stick to use items and rolling.
>>
>>320246751
I would really stick to the default scheme. This isn't a big churazee game where you need to chain combos or something. You attack once, maybe twice then retreat. It's a really slow and methodical game.
>>
>>320246890
This makes a lot of sense. Thank you.
>>
>>320246387
Toggle is on RS because once you git gud you don't have to lock on anything at all. L1/2 and R1/2 are assigned such because they map to your left and right arms, thus their placement is natural to their intended use. Use item also isn't important enough to have its own trigger button, and you almost never have to use items in action anyway.

TLdR; Default config is just fine.
>>
Don't do this op.

This is the only game I claw grip on. You need as much camera control and ability to roll at any second. The default seems stupid but it works.
>>
> dark souls
> using KB&M because I don't want to shill out $60 for a controller
>all instructions and tutorials are for controllers
>had to press every key on the keyboard to figure out what does what.
>gave up contorting my fingers trying to parry and never figured what buttons fast slide down ladders.

quit your whining.
>>
>>320247797
That's what you get for being poor.
>>
>>320247797
> using KB&M because I don't want to shill out $60 for a controller
you can just buy DS2 and adapter
>>
>>320246387

I'm 7 hours in and trying to decide why anybody likes this game and why it ever got popular.

Is it the cartoonish ragdoll corpses? The roll a dice and see if you kick or soft attack? The "idiosyncratic" hit boxes? The ledges that you sometimes get stuck on or sometimes slip off of with barely a twitch of the L-stick? The camera that's proving to be the most persistent "challenging" thing gameplay-wise? Perhaps a mixture of all of the above? It's certainly not the swing, roll, roll, step-back swing, jump attack, repetition is it?

>hurr hurr git gud XD

yes, wonderful, so I have been told.
>>
>>320248839
OP here, I've played only a bit, but I'm extremely interested in the game.

The art style looks great, the lore is cryptic and interesting, the atmosphere of oppression is stimulating. I like the feeling of utter hopelessness, the anti-hero theme, the "lesser evil" trope.

Plus, I've been looking forward for a 3rd person ARPG with tense combat.

Then again, 10 minutes so far. So maybe rolling around will get tired eventually.
>>
>>320248839
People like it because it's fun to play, it has a really compelling world and lacks the usual handholding modern games give us.
Its difficulty is greatly exaggerated, I will give you that. But that's because a lot of people followed From's retarded marketing of "hurr the hardest game ever".
A rough gem, as I like to call it.
>>
>>320249176
>Big pilgrim's key flavor text
>Key to the inner door of the Undead Asylum
main hall. Big key belonging to a chosen
Undead pilgrim.
>But this chosen Undead knows not what
this pilgrimage has in store.
>>
>>320246387
get x360ce

customize the controls to your autistic needs

I roll with the left trigger for example, and it's wonderful.

You're going to need both heavy and strong attacks so having them on right trigger makes sense.
>>
>>320247239
You can just customize the controls so you don't have to claw.
>>
>>320246890
>camera

That's all well and good but you'll be locked on to your enemy and strafing around them 95% of the time.
>>
>>320249964
It's better to be able to use the camera freely since it controls your attack height.
>>
>>320250028
I really can't think of many instances where your attack height actually mattered...

I think you'd just be making the game harder for yourself.
>>
>>320250557
Yeah, it's not really important, but you can't lock on to players if you want to dead angle them. There's plenty of reasons to play unlocked.

The reason lock on is there is because it works as a work-around for not being able to strafe. I'm good at PvP but I'm not going to pretend the game's control scheme is very good.
>>
>>320250981
>I'm good at PvP
>Will circle you until I can rubberband your ass
>Repeat as soon as you stand up

Bullshit, Anon
>>
>>320251740
Backstab fights are the boring and easy ones, those I leave for the beginners. I was talking about deadangles.
>>
>>320251740
>>Repeat as soon as you stand up
They can't do that unless you're spamming roll or other movements. If you let the animation play out normally, you can't get chain backstabbed.
>>
>>320251740
That anon was talking about dead angling

dead angling and toggle escaping are the "pro/expert" techniques in dark souls

dead angling lets you attack a player or enemy behind their shield without actually having to go behind them, it requires you to not lock on to the player
>>
>>320248839
>The roll a dice and see if you kick or soft attack?
confirmed bad
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.