[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vietnam War Vidya
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: RisingStorm2.jpg (89 KB, 392x500) Image search: [Google]
RisingStorm2.jpg
89 KB, 392x500
Why are there so few good Vietnam games?

Are you looking forward to pic related?

General Vietnam game thread as well, I suppose. Was Battlefield Vietnam any good at the time?
>>
Optional thread music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdqbjmrelTQ
>>
Anyone ever play Mud & Blood: Recon?

I remember enjoying M&B: 2 ages ago when I was into flash games and was looking forward to it but then just completely forgot about it.
>>
File: M&BR.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
M&BR.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
>>320245693

Forgot pic related
>>
I really wish they would have finished Red Orchestra 2 first.
>>
>>320245356
It was pretty great. Well, once they patched it and fixed how insanely OP the US' assault (or was it support? It's been a while) class was. You started with both an M60 and a LAW. There was no reason to play any other class.
>>
Also, thread theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0acN2v6aIc
>>
File: the-vietnam-war-in-picture-01.jpg (131 KB, 1200x780) Image search: [Google]
the-vietnam-war-in-picture-01.jpg
131 KB, 1200x780
>>320247919
>not the vietcong menu music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuYL-keoGvU
>>
>>320247743

How does it compare to the expansion for Bad Company 2? I had fun in Bad Company vietnam but it was lacking in a few areas.
>>
>>320249482
It did some very cool things with asymmetrical warfare and encouraged each side to play like you'd expect forces backing the north or south would. It also had heaps of personality. I remember being able to sit around for an entire round listening to the radio broadcasts on US bases. The North Vietnamese propaganda speakers on some maps were great too.
>>
>>320245356
Goddammit I want muh Red Orchestra 3
>>
>>320245356

Well, Vietcong was pretty damn good.

Problably aged like shit though. Remember several extremely frustrating sections.
>>
The first Black Ops was a good game.

I think we don't make games about Vietnam because the only people interested in it really would be the US and it was an unpopular war not supported by the public or by Congress for that matter. You can make a shitload of WW2 Sims because it was "our finest hour" and make AU clones of Gulf/Afghanistan/Iraq because nobody cares about brown people and they're easily defined villains.
>>
File: 1446751282291.png (59 KB, 442x768) Image search: [Google]
1446751282291.png
59 KB, 442x768
>>320245356

>Inb4 the inevitable "Because America lost and that somehow is the reason no games are made" post
>>
>>320251098
Ausfag here, I'm plenty interested. You weren't the only country with people there, you know.
>>
Because it was unjust

We only play wars that involve heroics. Ro2 and bfbc2 had Vietnam because they're mostly multiplayer

But single player games require a heroic story where the player is the hero. It works only for ww2 and fictional modern wars against Russia. Look at black ops, it's basically the same time period, but with Russia instead of nahm because no one likes that war
>>
>>320251751
Damn, this top pleb. Guess games like spec ops: The line don't exist.

Also, your story doesn't need to be heroic or some big bad. It could just be you fighting to survive with your friends like Vietnam was for so many men (Especially those that were drafted)

The player can draw a conclusion as to if it's just or not. You don't need some forced "This is how it is!" shit in the story.
>>
>>320245356
>Why are there so few good Vietnam games?

Because America lost.
>>
After KF2 I hope they go full cod on the new vietnam game.
>>
>>320252343
>Helmet with a peace sign and cigarette pack only $3
>>
File: namlighter.jpg (100 KB, 481x640) Image search: [Google]
namlighter.jpg
100 KB, 481x640
I wish I was in 'nam
>>
>>320251937
One example, oh boy

What I said is 100% true as to why there are few Vietnam games. America is ashamed of it culturally, and AAA shooters are in the business of heroism

Spec ops isn't about Vietnam because kids and young adults don't care about it, they care about modern shit
>>
>>320252772
You know, A lot of people feel the same way about Afghanistan and Iraq as they do Vietnam, right? Yet we get many games with those settings.

I don't think you actually play many AAA shooters. Games like COD have you playing as terrorists killing innocent people, playing as soldiers being forced to kill Russian troops who aren't actually the bad guys.

There's a mission in Black ops 2 where you help the Mujaheddin kill people.
>>
File: 340.jpg (24 KB, 240x340) Image search: [Google]
340.jpg
24 KB, 240x340
>>320245356
[IT AIN'T ME PLAYS]
>>
>>320252772
>America is ashamed of it culturally

Lefties are ashamed of anything that their country will do.

And you can say that about any war, since in any war innocents supposedly end up being killed. But the facts are that, there aren't many games about the Vietnam war simply because that there'd be too much thinking involved, not like a WW2 game where you play as the good olive-wearing guys shooting the bad germans wearing gray.
>>
Cant wait to kill some gooks
>>
>>320254394
>Gooks with golden AKs they bought for $2.99 (Plus tip)
>>
IT AIN'T ME
>>
>>320248448
That is pretty much identical to yellow ledbetter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs8y3kneqrs

ONACEELEHONAPORSALEEDDAAAAASEEY
>>
>>320254378
Yeah, communist subversion of our press, media, and civilian political establishment led to the massive outcry against vietnam. It was a for profit war predicated on a contrived scenario, but what war isn't?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.