[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VR controllers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9
>oculus and all those "VR" headset companies are coming out with controllers
>they are all basically shit like a wiimote or an air mouse

Why are "VR" controllers so shitty a technology? We have some really cool stuff now but everyone is betting on shit that wasn't even new or novel when it came out ten years ago.
>>
Holy shit VR other than morpheus is going to be shit.
>>
>>320216924
>other than morpheus
Didin't you see the PlayStation Experience event?
It was Wii Music levels of bad.
>>
>>320216001
Consumer Oculus is going to come with a Xbone controller though.

>>320216924
Got that backwards. Vive will be great, Oculus will be okay, and Morpheus will be absolutely shit because the PS4 cannot do VR at an acceptable resolution and framerate without looking like a PS1 title.
>>
>>320217127
It'll be exactly the same as PC. Over performing tech with no software to back it up.
>>
>>320217127
>Consumer Oculus is going to come with a Xbone controller though
Yeah but they've been marketing these things. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFEMiyGMa58, and then of course there are all those stupid razer and other things that are being sold for high prices as "VR controlers"
>>
>>320216001
Because the low end of this technology isn't high end enough to not be shit?
>>
File: O6Pl8GX.png (30 KB, 506x325) Image search: [Google]
O6Pl8GX.png
30 KB, 506x325
Plug my brain into my computer to control games when
>>
Don't you need like equally as powerful PC hardware to use the VR properly?
>>
>>320217576
5 years after you die of old age.
>>
>>320217309
What are you saying? The PS4 simply isn't powerful enough to run at 1080p/90fps, which is the bare minimum for VR. The minimum recommended specs for Oculus is a gtx970, which is like 4 times more powerful than a PS4.
>>
The one major obstacle I see with VR is actually moving your character. That one low friction dish solution was neat, but no one will want to actually run around to control their characters.

I just don't see a viable solution until we get sword art online levels of VR
>>
>>320218219
Are you talking about an omni-treadmill? Because those are NOT practical for a home consumer. Pretty sure they start at like $7500
>>
>>320218219
Some sort of suspension system that allows for movement without actually moving.
>>
>>320218219
oh, also I completely forgot about haptic feedback in some situations. Like playing a sword fighting game. How would you convey the feeling of hitting the enemies sword?
I considered the possibility of wearing some sort of armgear that was capable of locking up, but that sounds kind of silly
>>
File: Using the Oculus Rift.jpg (38 KB, 425x398) Image search: [Google]
Using the Oculus Rift.jpg
38 KB, 425x398
>>320218915
Nothing wrong about getting silly playing a video game
>>
>>320218070
>The minimum recommended specs for Oculus is a gtx970,

How much would it cost to build a standard PC with those specs? I'm a console baby and have no idea about these things but I am interested
>>
>>320218219
>sword art online levels of VR
Enjoy your nerves getting chreqed by malfunction or a security breach.

It would be good if they manage to find a safe way to do it. But anything involving cutting neural activity sounds dangerous. Perhaps if it is done in such a manner that your motor activity is not hindered. So all you'd be doing is reading input sent by the brain instead.

Feedback can be introduced externally in a controlled manner without tampering with your nueral system directly. It won't be anywhere near as emersive as emulating touch and pain for instance. But it would be less likely to cause catastrophic injury or death if it malfunctions or there is a security breach.

I don't like the idea of embedding cybernetic implants either for similar reasons with few exceptions.
>>
>>320219579
>So all you'd be doing is reading input sent by the brain instead.

That's not what SAO does?
>>
>>320219576
Looking at around $1000USD without including Oculus, monitor, or mouse and keyboard.
>>
>>320219767
no, in SAO the nerve gear inhibits all motor functions and sensory input aside from vitals like the heart.

Sensation of pain and touch is likely implented, It directly tampers with the neural system to achieve all this.

Which is convenient as you believe you exist in that virtual world but it is dangerous as you are not aware of your own body.

So even if no one hacks your system or if it is operating without fault, if your life is at risk you are at the mercy of the device's ability to detect such situations and allow full control of your body.
>>
>>320220019
Erm okay, that's pretty dam steep just to play vr. How much is occulus then? Retail price? I have a keyboard mouse and small monitor already which is good
>>
File: 1336647461278.png (30 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1336647461278.png
30 KB, 300x300
>>320216001
>trying to open the zipper
all i could imagine is using it to finger my ass
>>
>>320217647
Yes. Because your rendering a two sides of the screen
>>
>>320220407
Yeah well VR isn't really for casual gamers. No one knows what the consumer price for the Oculus is just yet but I'm guessing around 300 or so.
>>
>>320220407
Well you know anon you also get a pretty gud PC to play regular non-VR games as well.
>>
>>320216001

This looks like if one of you fat /v/irgins tried to finger fuck a girl.
>>
I like my Leap Motion fine.

Haven't tried it with my Cardboard.
>>
>>320216001
I hope they're not thinking about using these to disarm bombs because honestly as a tax payer I'd rather lose a cop or a soldier than pay for a fucking robot for every bomb threat.
>>
>>320216001
>that finger slowly trying to make its way into the hole
I am considering fapping to this now.
>>
>>320221343
and I'm sure the serviceman that has to go in disagrees pretty heavily with you.
>>
>>320221343
I think it's more a proof of concept for using human dexterous manipulation over distances for any purpose, not just bomb disposal (there are cheaper robots for that right now anyways)
>>
>>320220910
Didn't palmer lucky state that the CV1 will be more than $350.

I don't know if that is with or without motion controllers though.

My guess is $400 for HMD+XBone controller, and max of $150 for the controllers. I wouldn't consider buying motion controllers if they are more expensive than that.

So around $500~550 with motion controllers is as high as I am willing to go. I hope it is cheaper than that of course, that is just my worst case scenario.

$400~450 with motion controllers would be a nice price.
>>
>>320221848
I'll ask a dude i know who just got back from over there, I can almost guarantee he'd agree though. The military already wastes enough tax money and even the soldiers know that.
>>
>>320222249
If your friend is ok with it, can be anywhere and be immune to explosions, then by all means tell him.
>>
>>320216001
I find this webm oddly sexual
>>
>>320223002
A soldier gets blown up, that's par for the course.
A military bomb disposal robot gets blown up.....thing's probably worth 100k and they paid 2 mil for it. No bueno.
>>
>>320217309
>no software

Try every game coming out.

Ps4 can't utilities vr in every game which is why they specifically have to make downgraded titles for it separate from their releases. Where's uncharted vr mate?

Think there will be gta vr, ass creeds vr, even bloodborne vr? Nope just limited to what sony shits out. Meanwhile on pc ever release can be on vr as good looking as the actual game going back to alien isolation or even system shock 2.
>>
>>320223936
Utilize*
>>
>its just a screen strapped to your face
This is going to be hilarious
>>
>>320223936
>Try every game coming out.
Source?
>>
>>320223936
That's only assuming that there will be teams of people willing to just rig all those games for VR sometime in the near future, most likely for free on their own time. That's not to say that it won't happen for at least some of the games, but you can't really state that as a positive when it's so uncertain
>>
>>320223430
lol. Training is expensive. A $100,000 Javelin missile is replaceable, they make them by the thousand. A skilled soldier is not.
>>
>>320224641
>A skilled soldier is not.
lol no.
There are plenty of scrubs signing up for free college to traumatize. The training is expensive, but not as expensive as a fucking robot.
>>
>>320223430
what's the cumulative cost of raising a child to the age of 25 and training said person? close to 2milion, cost of robot is around 2million.

Sounds like a worthy trade off, how often are there bombs that need to be diffused, and out of those diffusals how often do those robots get destroyed?
>>
>>320224882
The tax payer doesn't raise each child so your argument is fundamentally flawed. You should only take into account what the government is paying.
Cost to train a soldier, wages owed to the soldier, hush money to dead/injured soldier's family< ROBOT
>>
>>320225059
oh and also take into account that the robot only has one purpose whereas a soldier, should he not be turned into spaghetti, can be used for other things as well.
>>
>>320224428
you talking about VorpX?
Those games are not designed from the ground up with VR in mind so you could end up getting motion sick.

It might work out nicely for some, even then, the control scheme could be fucked.

For instance, you get a shooter game to work with VR but the crosshair is tied to your head movement which would suck bigtime.

Or horrible headbob, camera spazzing in third person games, frame rate dips, the list goes on and on.
>>
>>320225148
>whereas a soldier, should he not be turned into spaghetti, can be used for other things as well.
meatballs? could work as long as the spaghetti is al-dente.
>>
>>320224428

True I exaggerated but I was going along the lines of all popular releases. Like you really think stuff like fallout won't get vr if it takes off? Will the ps4 give support and vr to their older games like alien isolation and upcoming big titles? Older shit like half life 2 already has support. Euro truck sim 2 of all games also has support so pretty much any game is good to go if the interest is there.

But yea it all depends on if vr as a whole is popular but even if it isn't the pc community will keep adding it to games over the years even if it takes time. The process is being streamlined by amd and nvidia. PS5 comes out and purges its library again and the pc will still keep adding vr titles

I guess my main point was stating that the ps4 needs to make specific downgraded games for vr when the pc has the potential to run any upcoming game in vr without making sacrifices. Then that guy claims that the software is there where sony is already forced to omit a huge category of games and will continue to do so in the future realeasing only niche titles for vr.
>>
>>320225059
good point, they should assign NEETs to bomb disposal squads then. I'm sure their parents won't mind
>>
>>320226023
Or niggers, they only have one parent so the loss is only felt half as much.
>>
>>320220407

It's the same as buying a regular good pc over buying a console. The VR headsets will be price comparatively or around the same.

Also after the initial 1k investment, all you have to do is upgrade the vid card every 4-5 years or so at like 300 bucks. Though I suggest you wait until the dx12 cards are out if you're getting one since they will likely shit on the 970
>>
>>320226598
>Not waiting for 16nm gpus
Can't wait for that shit. First upgrade in 6 years from an underpowered prebuilt craptop. .
>>
>>320226941

You really want to buy old tech when we are on the brink of new architecture and native dx12 stuff? Vr isn't being released that soon either so you might as well wait
>>
>>320227292
ah no I meant ”Cant wait” as in I am excited for those GPUs to come out. It's going to be a significant die shrink and all those new fancy architecture tricks are really sounding cool.
>>
File: fed.png (34 KB, 298x279) Image search: [Google]
fed.png
34 KB, 298x279
>>320216001
>>
>>320221425
>>320223158
Robots are very sexual, I agree.
>>
>>320216001
That's way more erotic than it has any right to be.

All I can imagine is the robot doing that to my butthole.
>>
>>320216001
I think it's because you probably wouldn't see a significant return.
Oculus/VR has seen so much support because it's so easy for games to support it. It's just a display.
But what you're talking about is a whole new level of interaction that you literally could not do with a normal control scheme, it's a niche within a niche, and it's not what any publisher is going to go for.
>>
>>320216001
DNI or go home, tracing your limbs' movement is always going to be an imperfect technology with no future.
>>
>>320216001
I want everyone to look at this webm OP posted. Look at how clumsy this guy is with his VR hands.

I want you to watch.

And then I want you to realize that this technology is intended to one day be used by surgeons to operate on living people.
>>
>>320226941
I wish I had the patience, caved in and got a 980 so I could start fucking around with VR on day one.

I'll upgrade once 4k per eye VR becomes a thing. 2k per eye VR sounds more plausable in the near future.
>>
>>320228173
>And then I want you to realize that this technology is intended to one day be used by fukbois to operate on their boipussies.

FTFY
>>
File: 1439235688254.jpg (95 KB, 469x638) Image search: [Google]
1439235688254.jpg
95 KB, 469x638
>>320216001
Robot handjobs when?
>>
>>320228173
Anon even the jet airliner is descended from the first shitty plane that barely flew at Kitty Hawk.
>>
>>320216001

The problem is always feedback. I think VR will work best with games where you control a car, plane or spaceship where you can use a real driving wheel or HOTAS without breaking the immersion.

>>320220407

Being an early adopter means having to shell out a lot of money. If you don't want to just wait a few years for the price to go down and you'll be able to get a complete VR setup for less that 1000$.

I agree with the others by the way, I've worked with VR headsets (oculus mostly, some by Sony) and you need a high and constant framerate for the thing to be bearable for more than 5 minutes at a time. On consoles that will mean multiplying the computing load by something like 3 or 4 compared to the usual "not quite 1080p30Hz" so don't expect great looking games. Could still be fun though.
>>
File: carmack_jpg_0x0_q85.jpg (90 KB, 532x512) Image search: [Google]
carmack_jpg_0x0_q85.jpg
90 KB, 532x512
>use teleoperation to fingerbang girls over the internet

What a time to be alive
>>
>>320228686
imagine possibilities for the ginecologists.
>>
File: 24026291.jpg (314 KB, 1344x1402) Image search: [Google]
24026291.jpg
314 KB, 1344x1402
>>320228317
>Robot handjobs
>Not blowjobs
>>
>>320229757
Im keeping my expectations realistic.
>>
File: robotmaid.jpg (250 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
robotmaid.jpg
250 KB, 900x1200
>>320230272
>>
>>320230418
>That translated CG set
Strangely and terrifyingly arousing
>>
>>320230418
Not to insult the lady, but that looks really unpleasurable.
>>
>>320231154
that's what you get for asking a robot to suck your dick
>>
>>320231210
I guess i could get off off of the sheer cute robotic innocence interpreting the task.
>>
>>320228686
>what is teledildonics
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.