[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
With the exception of the original Wii, every Nintendo console
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 9
File: rtr.jpg (47 KB, 652x370) Image search: [Google]
rtr.jpg
47 KB, 652x370
With the exception of the original Wii, every Nintendo console has sold less than previous ones.

Why do you think this is?

I believe it's because the following reasons

>Longer Japanese workdays/long rides on public transpot limit potential time for console use in comparison to mobile gaming

>They're not kind to 3rd parties

>They still focus on the family friendly image when fucking 5 year olds play CoD now, a decent online system is more important than protecting little jimmy from internet weirdos

>Hardware, they used to be fine on this but not anymore. They insist on making hardware profit when they have so many first party titles that could easily relieve selling at a loss day 1. Not to mention Constantly using a weak and well documented PowerPC means easy hacking/emulators, CEMU will be playable in 6-12 months because of this
>>
N64 failed because lack of cds.
Gcn failed due to lack of third party support.
Wiiu failed because it can't play modern games.
>>
>>320210309

gc failed because it didn't play dvds. It had decent 3rd party support
>>
>>320210309
Gamecube had decent 3rd party exclusives til it lost em.

Gamecube failed not because it was bad, but because the PS2 was a juggernaut, not to mention the lack of playing DVDs
>>
Also what do you think could save the NX?

For me.

>Release within a year(before or after) of PS5/Xbox4
>No more than 10% different in power
>Sold at slight loss to be competitive with pricing
>ASK 3RD PARTIES WHAT THEY WANT IN A CONSOLE
>BUILD A GOOD ONLINE/ACCOUNT SYSTEM, FOCUS ON GAMEPLAY AND COMMUNICATION AND NOT PROTECTING KIDS
>>
>>320210995
no fucking gimmick controllers or at least make them optional.
i really do think the wii u would have done better (not good, just better) if it had shipped bundled with the pro controller instead of the gamepad.
>>
>>320213521
I like the gamepad, it's a good idea.

But it's too expensive, they created a system JUST AS EXPENSIVE AS A PS4 with half the power.

Bad idea.
>>
>>320213763
Wait, they are the same price in your country? That's shit.
>>
>>320214013
PS4 is $300

WiiU is $300
>>
>>320210995
3rd parties can't even make a good game. Why do you think they know anything about good hardware?
>>
>>320214073
Difference being that PS4 is sold at a huge loss, the Wii U is not. I'm afraid Nintendo might have to start going that route.
>>
>>320214073
Wrong.
PS4 is on sale for 300 dollars, regular price is 350.
Wii U is regularly 300 dolllars, but went on sale for 250 on black friday. You can still get Mariokart bundles at gamestop for 250 right now.
>>
>>320210131
Each gen since the Super NES has been behind the curb in terms of raw power and graphic capabilities. It hinders their image and makes them look like a peddler of children's toys.
>>
>>320213763
The gamepad, like the DS and 3DS before it, has been massively underutilized by devs in general. Most games only use it for basic menus if it uses it at all.

The best uses of touch screens in games, as far as I can remember, are still
>The World Ends With You
>Kid Icarus Uprising
>Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Still just for menus and quick selects and maps and shit, but it's super customizable which is nice)
>>
>>320214215
PS4 is sold at profit, has been since launch.

How do you think Sony had their first profitable year in like a decade?

Made like close to 2bil.
>>
>>320214136
PS4 was made with 3rd party dev input.

Devs are very happy with the PS4.
>>
>>320214373
That's wrong.

N64 had more power than PS1 but carts held it back.

GameCube was stronger than PS2 but dumb minidiscs held it back.

the minidiscs were used to reduce load times, but killed DVD compatibility.
>>
>>320210131
>With the exception of the original Wii, every Nintendo console has sold less than previous ones.
You mean like every console brand?
>>
>>320217135
PS2 sold more than PS1

PS4 will likely sell more than PS3.

Xbox 360 sold more than Xbox original.
>>
>>320217306
Sure thing, microshill.
>>
>>320217493
I'm a microshill for saying truth?

Nothing I said was false, not to mention I only play JRPGs(nothing else) so MS platforms are generally not to go to platforms for me.
>>
>>320217609
Why do sales matter more than profit?

Microsoft has been considering cutting their console division for years because it's their biggest loss, and sony has been losing money for years.
>>
>>320217792
The PS3 was losing money for years, it cost them billions.

PS4 is honestly such a success it gave them their first year of profit in like a decade.

And I am aware Xbox has bled money for it's entire existence, I have no idea why they dont' try to sell the brand for semi cheap.

But Nintendos profits have been growing smaller with their shrinking market share, they've even experiences losses for the first time in decades.

Sub 20m selling consoles are hurting them and they need to fix it.
>>
>>320210131
N64 failed cause of the storage medium and sony paying for exclusivity
GCN failed because of black pr, and them being dicks to many third parties. That and sony marketing machine combined with microsofts pr and nintendo's too little too late marketing.
WiiU? We all know why it shat the bed.

By the way, THIRTY FIVE year olds play fucking CoD. 5 year olds watch those thirtyfive year olds who act like five year olds on youtube.
Those five year olds are all playing minecraft pokemon whatever muiltiplayer kid friendly game they can find and other stuff.
This kids playing cod over everything else is a stupid fucking line started by activisions marketers.
Know what else kids do? Get bored of shit. Meaning that even if they do play cod they'll just get sick of it after a while and go play somethin...oh that's right there's fuck all else to play outside of cod and cod clones. Might as well pick up that tablet that costs just as much as the a new copy of cod and play freemium games.
>>
>>320218130
>Sub 20m selling consoles are hurting them and they need to fix it.

Because you said so?

Whoa man, you're like so smart, why aren't you workign as their market analyst.

>make mor muney lol

Such a fucking amazing strategy, how did they not think of that?
>>
>>320218427
>This kids playing cod over everything else is a stupid fucking line started by activisions marketers.

My nephew is 9 and plays CoD with his friends, that's not quite 5 but it's still young.

He ironically does not play Minecraft though, so many kids his age do though.
>>
>>320214875
>forgetting entirely about trauma center
>>
>>320210131
>>They're not kind to 3rd parties
Can we stop this meme? Why can't any one admit that third parties have been fucking over Nintendo since the n64?

Also FYI all consoles have been steadily declining in sales.
>>
>>320210131
None.

It is due to nonexistent marketing by Nintendo and excessive shitflinging because retarded reasons.

>Hardware is shitty = is not like the others.
>Is for kids.
>Lack of third party so I can't play my shitty games on a Nintendo too.
>Not the kind of gimmick casuals like.

And so on.

GC and Wii U are better than the others systems of their gen, except for DC; DC is superior.
>>
>>320219137
>Why can't any one admit that third parties have been fucking over Nintendo since the n64?
Because Nintendo don't care about them.

Sony literally let them help design the PS4.

They don't wanna massively downgrade their games to run on underpowered hardware too.
>>
File: scout laugh.jpg (69 KB, 540x390) Image search: [Google]
scout laugh.jpg
69 KB, 540x390
>>320219309
>Third parties
>Don't want to downgrade games to run on underpowered hardware
So why do they develop for modern consoles?
>>
>>320210995
Release next christmas.

Cost around 200 bucks

Backwards compatibility

Have 500 gig plus hard drive

Can play DVD and Blu-Rat and a whole host of CD rom type games.

Controllers are basically just souped up stylized DSs with cheap little cameras built in and screens that are better then cheap sprawlmart android phones.

Will release entire games and DLC on amiibos and pay for cross game compatibility with them.
The possibility of going to mcdonalds and picking up an amiibo that will give them a cheap little game is ridiculous.

Also said handheld will basically have full access to the DS game library and get new games as well as have really good digital streaming and strict net surfing.

Don't do the install to hard drive before playing the game thing.

Nintendo IPs released out of the gate.
Buy capcom and become a silent partner, and buy all of konami's unused IPs.
Start making budget games for around 30-20 bucks and selling amiibos with games for 10-20 bucks to children.

The few titles and genre fillers that always sell on nintendo consoles
Minecraft, sims, just dance, any oldschool jrpgs, racing games, basically any multiplayer games, etc etc etc.
Titles that could sell on nintendo consoles.

Stay the course with free online mulitplayer games.

It can, right now, be as if not more powerful then the ps4 and xb1 and still be sold at a far cheaper price.
Advertise advertise advertise
>>
>>320219309
>help design the ps4
>some games need to install
>games are 50GBs each
>Facebook and integrated meme buttons
>TouchPad that's useless
>led light that's useless
>same shitty inwards sticks instead of outwards like wii u 4 gens in a row
>paid online

What a fucking joke.

>>320214136
Look at this post. AAA devs only want a system where you can sell DLC and restrict playback of used games.

There's also statements that devs are excited for the NX, so maybe your meme wishes will come true.
>>
>>320219493
Because software DRM doesn't work as well as hardware DRM.
>>
Doesn't matter. Iwata basically sold his soul for the company and made the Cellphone/Mobile deal happen before he died. It was almost literally the last thing he did for Nintendo. They'll never want for money again.
>>
>>320215345
Then why the fuck does it have no goddamn compelling games?
>>
>>320223185
Because it takes YEARS to develop games now?

HD games are a lot more tiem consuming to develop than older SD games.

I mean PS4 has the best looking line up of future exclusives, but games take too long to make now.
>>
>>320223335
And they had more than enough advance time. Do you think devs start working on next gen after it comes out? The majority of games start before the next gen consoles are ever announced to the public.
>>
Why do people act like huge games corporations are "problem children" and need to be fixed by white Americans who somehow know better than multi-billionaire Japanese programmers?

I think they can do their job a bit better than you can. Sure, the Wii U sold like shit. How did your console sell?
>>
>>320223443
They had kits for maybe a year.

Also Western devs don't make exclusives unless they're paid extra.

And Japanese devs, the only ones who really make exclusives now are TERRIBLE at HD development.

It takes them even longer.
>>
>>320223185
I know we discount and ignore multiplats around here, but I don't see why a developer would do a PS4 exclusive unless paid by sony or something.
>>
>>320223509
>>I think they can do their job a bit better than you can. Sure, the Wii U sold like shit. How did your console sell?

I think those white people opinions do actually matter, simply for the fact that Nintendo is trying to make potential customers of said people.
>>
>>320223575
According to you or some other anon, the PS4 is exactly what devs wanted therefore it should have more and better games. Clearly that is not the case, in your own words.
>>320223734
Which is why asking devs' input on designing hardware means fuck all in terms of getting good games.
>>
File: 1449380994683.png (86 KB, 870x748) Image search: [Google]
1449380994683.png
86 KB, 870x748
NO FAIR
>>
>>320224114
>Which is why asking devs' input on designing hardware means fuck all in terms of getting good games.
"Good games" aka exclusives don't matter.

THEY DON'T MATTER

THE AVERAGE GAMER IS RETARDED AND WILL NOT BUILD A PC
>>
>>320224282
>"Good games" aka GOOD exclusives don't matter
ftfy
Yes they do matter. They're the whole selling point of getting one console over another. Maybe you could argue a case for multiplats looking or running better.

My point is they're gonna make the same shitty games regardless of asking their input in designing hardware so why fucking bother.
>>
>Videogames are no longer a new thing and seen as kids only

>Nintendo constantly releases underpowered hardware at the worst of times

>Shits all over their customers frequently

>Desperately tries to cling to their family friendly image even though culture has shifted to shun things that are 'for babies"

>Doesn't try anything new and relies on their old IPs to keep selling units

>Outdated business practices/clings too hard to tradition

>Over reliance on gimmicks
>>
>>320210131
Because with the exception of the Wii, Nintendo consoles don't appeal to 20 year old men who dress like girls.
>>
>>320210309
Gamecube was pretty decent with its 3rd party. Some multiplats even ran better on the Gamecube compared to the PS2 or Xbox.

What the Gamecube lacked was DVD support and online functionality for most if not all its games.
>>
>>320223335
Years that are wasted because those games are being developed by third parties.

Third parties are awful doing games with a few exceptions.

The only good devs can make good games are the ones who makes exclusive games.
>>
>>320224572
>>>Doesn't try anything new
Demonstrably false. Everything else I can agree with.
>>
>>320214215
Nope, not this gen. PS3 was sold at loss, PS4 is apparently super cheap to make (no custom chip, hw comminly found on PCs). Xbone.is the same.
>>
>>320224854
Not really.

I only play JRPGs too, and first party JRPGs don't really exist.
>>
>>320224854
That's why Knack is GOTY and TW3 is shit, right?
>>
>>320225068
Wrong thread?
>>
>>320224936
What else have they done besides Splatoon and trying to infiltrate the free to play market give years after everyone else?
>>
>>320225172
Yep, my bad
>>
>>320225047
>Few exceptions.
>>
>>320225321
I have yet to see a good first party game from Sony or Microsoft except KI, and even that has a lot of issues.
>>
>>320225394
>I have yet to see a good first party game from Sony
>Ico
>Dark Cloud
>Shadow of the Colossus
>Wipeout

Not that many but they have some gems.
>>
>>320225394
Microsoft and Sony are unable to do real first party games. Specially Sony, see Crash Bandicoot.

The only one is Nintendo and by looking how things are today that's not really a great message.
>>
>>320225179
Wii alone has Splatoon, W101, Wii had Sin and Punishment and Endless Ocean, 3DS has the Pushmo series, those are off the top of my head.
>>
>>320225606
I'm pretty sure it was implied I was talking about current gen what with mentioning Knack, KI, and TW3.
>>320225667
They both have had plenty of good first party games - years ago. Microsoft had Crimson Skies. Fable. Mechwarrior. All their good studios are dead and it's a damn shame too.
>>
>>320224712
Nintendo console does not appeal to anyone over the age of 15 (16 in murrica).
>>
>>320225394
why? they don't need to. they have pretty much ALL of second/third parties currently on the market.
>>
>>320226205
>why? they don't need to.
Yes they do, to compete with each other. At least PS4 has the advantage of not having shit hardware.
Unlike most of /v/ I'm not content to just see console sales numbers and tech specs. I want to see good games from those IPs they're sitting on. Actually move the industry forward instead of stagnating by releasing the same shit in a box with sharper corners.
>>
>>320226005
That's because Sony and Microsoft business model comes from hardware sales.

This is why Sony damaged game industry selling it to the highest bidder.

They made a console; not even a good one. They bleed money and they need an assload of games so it can sell and they can get profit... And not even good games.

Those games are made mostly by third parties, because Sony don't care vidya so they won't own any ip and make the game by themselves.

The biggest franchises associated to the PS brand were FF and MGS, but they didn't own them. And let's not go to the interactive movies.
>>
>>320225768
Wonderful 101 is Platinum, not first party Nintendo. Although it was originally supposed to be about Nintendo characters. I don't know whether to count that or not.

Still a very good game
>>
File: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.jpg (123 KB, 808x805) Image search: [Google]
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.jpg
123 KB, 808x805
>>320210131
CAUSE STUPID FUCKS WOULDN'T KNOW A FUCKING GOOD CONSOLE IF IT SMACKED THEM IN THE FUCKING FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111
>>
>>320226531
A Nintendo IP developed by another studio is still a Nintendo IP anon. Capcom developed Minish Cap, guess that isn't a Nintendo game anymore.
>>
>>320226531
Oh. And I guess the Donkey Kong Country line of games doesn't belong to Nintendo either.
>>
File: 1440879796037.jpg (367 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1440879796037.jpg
367 KB, 1366x768
>>320210131
The Wii U was already sold at a loss originally.

They sell awfully because there's no room for a 3rd console. The market is saturated, and the Wii U is just a paywall to games that would sell much better on PC, where the marketing campaigns can reach the 900M+ user base and promote the simplicity of sharing the OG Nintendo games with those which have yet to play them.
>>
>>320226713
Holy frick calm down.
>>
Nintendo don't have the appeal amongst kids that it had back in the 80s, Nintendo is sustained mainly by nostalgic adults, Wii was an exception that even damaged Nintendo's reputation, and this despite the console itself had pretty damn good games
>>
>>320227452
Where does this kids don't like Nintendo meme come from?

I work at a public library and our Wii U playtime is one of the most popular events, it's right up there with Minecraft playtime.
>>
>>320210131
>Longer Japanese workdays/long rides on public transpot limit potential time for console use in comparison to mobile gaming
I guess that affects every console out there.
>They still focus on the family friendly image when fucking 5 year olds play CoD now, a decent online system is more important than protecting little jimmy from internet weirdos
You're giving the general consumer too much credit, outside of gamers I don't think normies can tell why one online system is better than the other.
>>
>>320210995
Well, supposedly Sony and MS did that, two years into the generation and the consoles get shoddy ports already as if they were running out of gas early, hell there's even their own IPs with shitty games like Halo 5.
>>
>>320227971
Consoles are not modular, no matter what they will always show their age with time.

Not to mention no one wants to pay more than $400 maximum.

The PS4 turned out the best it could have in the price bracket demanded I feel.
>>
>>320227347
>900M+ userbase
>only 5 games this year managed to sell more than 1 million on pc
>not a single one reached 3 million
Yeah i am sure pc is a viable platform for not indies.
Not.
>>
>>320228085
>no one wants to pay more than $400 maximum
It still blows my mind that people actually bought PS3s at launch.
>>
>>320228191
I did, I only had DMC4 and PS1/PS2 games for years.

I just had hope for a billion JRPGs like with PS2.
>>
>>320228451
I mean, you did get them. Eventually
>>
File: Like i give a fuck.jpg (307 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Like i give a fuck.jpg
307 KB, 1280x720
>>320228191
I bought the launch model 60gig PS3 at the first price drop to $550CAD.

No regrets.

At least I was able to mail in for 5 free Blu Rays, of which I watched maybe 3 of them
>>
File: 1397292875571.jpg (68 KB, 300x315) Image search: [Google]
1397292875571.jpg
68 KB, 300x315
>>320210131
I strongly think that 3rd point is what impacts Nintendo the most. They have to cut it out yet they're just getting more and more into it, even worse than in the past. Look at all the colorful blocks in SM3DL/W, recent Mario Party, Smash's generic theme and Pokemon's even more casual approach, see http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pokemon-director-explains-why-series-is-becoming-e/1100-6422945/

I hope this is just because their current hardware this gen makes these vibrant atmospheres pop out more than past gens and now that it's been done they can move back or move on to some other style in the coming generations. But one thing's for certain, Nintendo is doing the polar opposite of what they SHOULD be doing to gain trust from audiences, who now form opinions of game companies and hardware through the internet as a majority, and attract 3rd parties as they mostly work with what's most effective and efficient for them.
>>
>>320229225
So become edgy for the sake of being edgy. That's not gonna cut it either.
>>
>>320210995
Not pander to autistics and casuals
>>
>>320210995
Region free, for fuck's sake.
>>
>>320229446
It doesn't have to be the polar opposite or even changing the style of games at all. Franchises play a big part in this, and Nintendo trying to do things differently is almost like a massive "fuck you" to people longing for some sequels. The Amiibo Festival and 3DS Metroid reception speak for themselves. Also censorship and region locking put people off from buying their consoles if they want to play their nippon games or games not months after they came out in another country.
>>
>>320229753
Censorship I can agree with, region locking, I don't think the majority of people who owns a console can tell if theirs is region locked or not, that and the majority can take adventage of it, yet I agree it's stupid. And Metroid is a niche as fuck franchise and Metroidfags should get over it already.
>>
>>320210131
Japan is running out of kids.
>>
>>320230060
If they weren't pretty much owned by America, they could just turn women back into property to fix everything.

Men aren't fucking because woman want too much from them and would leave them for a bigger wallet at the drop of a hat.
>>
File: gamesrevenue.png (676 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
gamesrevenue.png
676 KB, 1920x1080
>>320228148
>>
>>320224992
>first party JRPGs don't really exist.
Nintendo has lots of them.
>Bravely Default
>Fire Emblem
>Rodea
>Xenoblade
>Zelda
You'd know if you only play JRPGs right? Fuck off, poser.
>>
File: 1440617042205.png (474 KB, 705x485) Image search: [Google]
1440617042205.png
474 KB, 705x485
>>320230925
>Zelda
>JRPG
>>
>>320230925
>BD
Not first party, only localized by them. also censored shit
>FE
Censored shit
>Rodea
Plain shit
>Xenoblade
2nd party
>Zelda
Not an RPG
>>
>>320231159
It's about to be, with the open world game coming out next year.
>one example off many
Again, fuck off.
>>
>>320230925
Bravely Default belongs to Square-Enix and Rodea to Kadokawa Games and isn't a JRPG.
>>
>>320231256
You're an idiot.
>>
>>320230228
>Men aren't fucking because woman want too much from them and would leave them for a bigger wallet at the drop of a hat.
Then why aren't the rich men spreading their seed like crazy?

Oh that's right, kids cost money. Fucking yellow jews.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.