[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Blacksmithing mechanics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 300x220) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 300x220
Hey /v/, I'm creating an indie rpg and was woundering about which games with blacksmith mechanics were good/which were bad and so on. Pic semi related.
>>
>>320156174
O shit, this was a flash game with furries, right?
>>
>>320156443
The pic is from sims medieval and furries are even worse than traps so no thanks
>>
>>320156174
Fable 2 didn't have a good one but I still spent hours playing it
like, 5 hours at least in the longest single sitting
>>
>>320157241
How did it work?
>>
>>320157493
you know the 2 second long minigames in final fantasy for ultimate attacks where there's a bead moving along a bar and you have to hit a sweet spot?
like that except doing it for 5 hours because you have a chain going
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>320157636
>>
If I'd ever implement crafting in my game it would be inspired by the atelier games where basically every ingredient has random attributes to it and you have to combine them in certain ways to be able to effectively use them on your equipment.
>>
>>320157636
Ohh. Seems interesting, but i think I wanna go with something more intuative.
>>
>>320157846
Tried looking for it online but everything was in some ching chong languag. Could you explain moar.
>>
>>320157163
I just looked it up, it's called Jacksmith. It's technically just cartoony anthropomorphic animals, not full blown furshit. The gameplay is mostly based on multitasking and mouse precision, so I doubt it'd be of much use to you.

I think when it comes to crafting, everyone should take a look at TW1's alchemy. You could just get a recipe and have it auto-filled with reagents to get a basic potion, but if you took the time to look up ingredients with similar secondary characteristics, you could brew potions with bonus effects.
It's not a disgusting time sink like FO4's crafting, but it still rewards effort.
>>
>>320158362
No you did not, Its from the sims medieval still.
Interesting idea regarding The secondary characteristics
>>
>>320158292
Bro, the whole game is crafting. Since it's an alchemy game you can craft like 100 items or so, all of them with different traits. Traits all stick to different things like liquids, ingots, bombs and other shit so if you want to create stuff with the right traits you have to do it the right way. Here's a video guide on how to create supplement which is a basic ingredient with the right stats to give it a high amount of crafting points. Crafting points are required to pay for the traits on the stuff you craft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6t20CRs3eg
>>
>>320158362
Fo4's crafting isn't a disgusting timesink though; you just grab all the junk you see as you rush through
>>
>>320156174
>I'm creating an indie rpg
Was it really necessary to specify "indie" there?
>>
>>320156174
Weapon Shoppe de Omasse
entire game based on being a blacksmith, it had some good ideas with the rhythm based crafting but the actual crafting was a bit wonky
>>
>>320156174
you do get to fuse weapons together right? and you can also concoct potions and bombs and even poisons to put on your fused weapons too?

brb making an rpg
>>
>>320158968
was it really necessary to ask an autistic pointless question?
>>
>>320158805
and you're forced to return to Sanctuary every 30 minutes unless you're using some kind of infinite carry weight mod. plus you're still short on adhesive all the time.
first thing i did when is that i player.additem'd 9000 units of every ingredient, and it still felt like i'm wasting too much time on crafting.
>>
>>320159025
Yeah I want to be able to add different attributes to weapons, and you need to collect different gems and such to get the attribute you want, and fuse two weapons attributes together to one.
>>
>>320159000
I was thinking about adding rhythm based crafting, I will definitely check that out
>>
>>320156174
>I'm making an indie RPG

Nope. There's a 95% chance you'll never make it and a 4.9% chance you'll actually finish it and literally no one will play it.
>>
>>320159772
why did you even respond then
>>
>>320157846
What this guy said.
>>
>>320160058
Because I'm fucking tired of these threads.

>hey guys, I'm making an XYZ game, what are some things you'd like to see?
>nothing ever happens

Show me a finished game that started as a 4chan /v/ thread, and I'll never return to this website again.
>>
>>320159772
Yeah you are probably right, I usually never finish them. But I find joy in making such games and basically that's all that matter.
>>
>>320158796
This game is as autistic as EVE online
>>
>>320160274
pretty sure yandere simulator is going to be finished
anyway thats pointless because this isn't a "dumb tripfag idea guy says 'lets make vidya!' and the project collapses 2 weeks later", its a discussion about blacksmithing in video games
to answer OP's question i kind of liked the crafting system in Overlord where you sacrifice a certain amount of extra valuable resources in order to make the weapon stronger, but they arent required (the valuable resources in this case being minion souls)
>>
>>320160738
I haven't played EVE. Here's a list of traits that you can find in the game.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IoDJqkrAD0m5hhTjjz8fn8AdxwO4z4X9MdR9oNI6EMw/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0
>>
>>320157779
>pulling your entire kingdom out of debt simply by playing a fuck ton of Lute Hero in Fable 3

i think of the time i wasted and it hurts physically
>>
>>320160940
Thank you, appreciated
>>
>>320161274
>Not just setting your clock forward to collect a ton of rent money
>>
I love blacksmithing in video games. I always exploit it as far as it can go.

That said, don't make it so the person breaks even if they're going through the trouble.
>I can make an iron sword with 2 minutes of work and 50g of materials!
>I can buy an iron sword with 50g!
makes it super gay.

On the flip side, if you can craft shit that you can't buy, such as
>Managed to kill a feathered dragon
>can use feather to create mega-faggot-feather bow that makes the game trivial for the next 10 hours
Then you're doing it right.
>>
>>320156174
looks like oblivion to be honest fami
>>
>>320161548
This is exactually the direction I wanted to go. Thanks!
>>
Despite it's many problems, I liked the idea of FFXIV's crafting mini-game. Re-balance the skills, make the equations for how craftsmanship and control (and some other things) less bullshit, and it would be pretty good.
>>
The smiting in Dark Messiah was pretty comfy and immersive. Even though it was ridiculously simple.

I like that having to tinker with a lot of stuff and not just "click craft, a whole sword appears" but also stuff like attaching a hilt.

Here's a shitty video of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_zIgTWWQJM
>>
File: 34-image034.gif (273 KB, 640x448) Image search: [Google]
34-image034.gif
273 KB, 640x448
Legend of Mana's equipment, golem, and instrument crafting were superb. Even the instruments could be customized to an extent.
It took hundreds of steps to create the strongest possible equipment.
Look at the FAQs for an example:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/256525-legend-of-mana/faqs/10806

Also the crafting theme was amazing like most everything in the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d75q_i1FggE
>>
>>320162296
Yeah this definitely has some aspects that I want to ad. Like srsly this is perfect. Thanks
>>
>>320162296
Should I play secret of mana or legend of mana first?
>>
>>320164082
The Mana games don't have any connecting stories.
Legend of Mana itself is more of a series of short stories while SoM is a more traditional game.
Play which ever, really. You'll need a guide for Legend of Mana if you want to see every quest, though.
>>
>>320156174
Rune Factory had simple throw shit in recive item forging but it also allowed the player to toss in other various items such as claws, gems and monster parts to add various effects like more attack or paralysis.

Mabinogi's blacksmithing required a blacksmithing scoll of the item you wanted followed by more tossing items in, at the end however, you had to do a small mini game and hammer small spots for the finishing touch.
If you were forging a weapon and had extra pieces, you could toss in a silver/copper or gold ingot to give the blade a finishing color just for taste.
>>
>>320164082

sword of mana is the best.
>>
>>320156174
>indie
Crafting items is not important right now. In fact, you'd better off not making that feature right now. If you use scamstarter, add crafting/blacksmithing as stretch goal and ask your backer what kind of crafting system that works for them. That way, no one can complain that your game crafting system is flawed because they asked for it themselves.

Now go out there and jew those gullible idiots out of their money. Make them pay for their idiocy. Harvest their money. Make your dream comes true.
>>
>have similar idea
>too much of a lazy piece of shit to follow through
I'm going to be super butthurt if you make bank OP shine on you crazy diamond
>>
>>320165776
Tbh I think there's a risk that I wont follow it though either
>>
>>320165472
Kek
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.