[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpI lShZ2tEI >With Final
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8
File: Miku Hatsune.png (2 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Miku Hatsune.png
2 MB, 1600x900
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpIlShZ2tEI

>With Final Fantasy VII Remake abandoning the Active-Time Battle system for a more action-oriented approach, the time has come to discuss whether or not traditional JRPG battles really are "dated."

>Are they dated, or is it just something the industry decided one day? What exactly is wrong with Active-Time and turn-based combat systems? I, for one, can't say I see what makes them so distasteful.
>>
what are we supposed to discuss in here? I don't like the guy but some times he says some actual decent opinions
>>
What a disgusting creature.
>>
Systems are just tools. Why would you abandon any of them if they generally work just fine? Who would argue in favor of having less to pick from?
>>
>>320146414
he's just a huge faggot who makes click bait
nothing to see here
>>
>>320147867
Nah, his videos are pretty entertaining and most of the time he's right.
>>
File: pizza.jpg (54 KB, 395x527) Image search: [Google]
pizza.jpg
54 KB, 395x527
>>320149686
Fuck off Jim you fat fuck.
>>
>>320149996
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
>>
>>320146414

flagged for not vidya and the absence of c.uck trigger warning.
>>
How is it possible he looks in the mirror and decides "nah, I look fine"
>>
Not watching that video, but Bravely Default sold like hotcakes, and it's a turn-based system. I think the question is whether or not companies are willing to risk it for a "AAA" game
>>
>>320150776

he is fucking a short blue haired whale.
and he loves to be kek'd

he has literally no self respect
>>
does he not have a point
don't turn based game obviously have a sizable market who will buy them still
why are we convinced that action is the objectively better way to take ffviiir

though i would guess the reason ffviir is action based is because nomura has been doing action games for the past 15 years and since he's the director he's decided to take the game in that direction.
>>
>>320150954
Grow up
>>
>>320151247

no u
>>
>>320146414
When did Jim let his wife start doing the videos for him?
>>
>>320146414
And I still understand how ATC is turn-based, when its obviously a hybrid, turn-based is not dead at all, ATC can go to hell for all I care.
>>
Why is he wearing a Sona wig?
>>
>>320150808
This. The notion that turn-based systems are somehow "obsolete" because they require very low tech requirements to function is bizarre. I mean, for fuck's sake, XCOM literally just came back in a huge way.
For better or for worse, Final Fantasy 7 had a variant of turn-based combat, and changing it for a more action-oriented approach seems like a totally unnecessary, arbitrary change to appeal primarily to hypothetical "new fans" instead of the established fanbase they already know exists in huge droves. I don't understand why they would waste so much time and money making such a huge change.
>>
The problem with turn based combat is shitty random encounter trash mob fights consisting of pressing x to attack and watching fight intro scene and victory scene before taking another few steps and doing it again.
>>
>>320146414
>Not Miku Fatsune.png
>>
>>320152317
FFX-2 ATB was really good.
>>
>>320146414
Stop posting this literal kuck
>>
>>320154695
Stop using words you dont know the meaning for
>>
>>320146414
Not vidya, saged.
>>
BRAVELY DEFAULT

Christ almighty, these people always try to speak for the masses and then are wrong.
>>
They're far from dated, they're 2 entirely different systems.

In an ARPG if you have a party no matter what they will be AI driven

>BUT CHARACTER SWITCHING
There will always be AIs fightign with you.

I like TB more because I like haviogn absolute control over everyones action.

The FF7 ATB is indeed dated, but TB itself is.

Games like Grandia, later Wild Arms, and Eternal Sonata show there is many possible evolutions for turn based combat.

It's just a shame when people do TB systems they make them overly basic and without depth, but that does not mean TB itself is without depth.
>>
File: 1428246692587.png (746 KB, 567x1024) Image search: [Google]
1428246692587.png
746 KB, 567x1024
Breaking news

JRPG combat systems are stagnant as fuck and haven't changed at all since the mid 90's because Japs possess no innovation when it comes to fighting mechanics in video games.

>b-but don't f-fix what isn't broken, r-r-right?

Keep fooling yourself....
>>
[X] hate music
>>
>>320155839
Grandia and Wild Arms on the PS2 were pretty innovative and turn based.

But once the PS3 hit it was all ARPG and TB was thrown into the realm of handhelds and low budget.
>>
>>320155839
>>JRPG combat systems are stagnant as fuck and haven't changed at all since the mid 90's because Japs possess no innovation when it comes to fighting mechanics in video games.

>What is Tri-Ace?
>>
It's an appeal to a larger market. I don't watch e-celeb faggot shit, so fuck off with it.

The FFVII remake being nothing like FFVII from what we've seen of it so far other than very basic similar themes, is entirely to appeal to a larger demographic as squeenix isn't stupid enough to believe in fanboy squealing that "everyone would buy an FFVII remake". They're going into this as a company trying to make it as palatable as possible.

Turn based RPGs/menu RPGs aren't at all "dated". The issue is older ones were made for kids, so they're not difficult. People don't know how to make a difficult menu RPG where you need to buff, and allocate equipment properly because most of the more popular series, kiseki, FF, DQ, etc feature largely linear progression of weapons with maybe sidegrades down the line for blood swords that lifesteal, or what have you.

What we need an RPG that features a little bit more customization, it doesn't have to be the last remnant levels of cryptic or deep, but a basic stat allocation would go a long way. Breath of Death VII was an excellent system. It was literally two choices, you can either upgrade magic or physical, generally. Just that would allow for harder bosses, because unless you balance your party you may run in to a resistant boss, and although you have powerful attacks in one category, you're fucked in the other. BoD7 didn't do that though, it was just standard "throw more health on everything".

Cosmic Star Heroine looks like an example of a new age turn based RPG, with newer elements in it. But the story will probably be ass.

people don't know how to make menu JRPGs so they get thrown by the wayside, that's how it works. They're too difficult to make hard without being bullshit OHKOs, and when people try something new (TLR) it's either too cryptic or it's riddled with bugs (Both in the case of TLR, PC version fixed it but who the fuck buys JRPGs on PC? Nobody besides faggots buying that absolutely trash tier VN nonsense like HDN
>>
Report and sage SJW e-celeb threads.
>>
I don't get it. They made some of the most successful games of all times with this system, and ow they're seriously taking the stance that it's not viable for market appeal.
>>
>>320156358
GRANDIA, GRANDIA, GRANDIA

WHY DOES NO ONE LEARN FROM THE FEW INNOVATIVE TURN BASED GAMES

WHY DOES NO ONE EVEN TRY, FUCK I HATE AI PARTY MEMBERS SO MUCH THEY LITERALLY RUIN GAMES FOR ME
>>
File: Goober Grape.jpg (97 KB, 265x383) Image search: [Google]
Goober Grape.jpg
97 KB, 265x383
>>320156467
Go back to containment chan goober
>>
We all know who squeenix is because of this very system they are now denouncing. The ATB isn't just for a niche market. If it was, SQUARE ENIX WOULD BE KNOWN ONLY BY A NICHE MARKET.
>>
Jim is right pretty often with this sort of thing even if I disagree with him a lot elsewhere.

Turn-based combat clearly still has a large audience, and the only reason it's not used anymore is because the industry just decided it wasn't cool. Not helped by a vocal minority of ADHD shitters in games journalism or general internet discussion who hate turn-based combat just for being turn-based, because it's "boring" or some other equally vapid complaint.

It's particularly ridiculous to think the audience for JRPGs/Final Fantasy wouldn't like turn-based/ATB combat because virtually every classic game in the genre was built on those systems. Saying JRPG fans don't want turn-based combat anymore is like saying fighting game fans don't want 2D combat anymore, it's ridiculous.

With all that said I'm not specifically against the FFVII remake going for a different approach and my opinion on the entire thing is basically "wait and see." The original FFVII still exists and is still fun, so whatever the remake does won't really bother me. I'll just play it if it's good when all's said and done.
>>
>>320156785
SE wants FUCKING NORMIES to play this.

They want Chad and Tyrone to buy this.

It's not happening, I don't know why they try so hard to get the western ADD FPS playing audience.
>>
>>320146414
Isn't he too much of a mature progressive gamer to discuss Japanese games like Final Fantasy or Project Diva?
Is he trying to regain subscribers or something?
Fuck that fat piece of shit and his misguided crusades
>>
>>320156559
Grandia sold well, then when they needed to update, it turned to absolute trash. Same with suikoden, both were absolutely magnificent turn based games that had abortions of sequels.

SaGa, Wild Arms (4 5 and XF all tanked horrifically), too.

They all just didn't succeed, and when that happens, the market assumes they fail because of their innovation. And they're not entirely wrong. Look at the Lunar series. It was dying a horrible death after blue so they tried to reboot it in every way and it just never worked so it died. That DS game was awful.

Then there's Lufia, won't even bother explaining that one, Legend of Dragoon was another excellent, absolutely magnificent tweak to the traditional ATB menu system, and here we are almost 20 years later with no sequel. Parasite eve too. Did you SEE third birthday?

My point is innovation doesn't sell well, you have to conform or you won't make money. That's how the world of video games work. And it sucks.
>>
>>320156620

Pretty much every chan is a containment chan for 2ch
>>
>>320146414
>With call of duty releasing their latest installment soon, it's time to ask ourselves: is the racing game genre truly "dated"?
>>
He... he already did this exact video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOi5aDQKrYc
>>
I think Bravely Default handled turn based RPGs really well. I typically dont really like turn based games but Bravely Default was incredibly fun for me.
>>
>>320157091
I should clarify, I didn't mean grandia 2 and suikoden 2 were abortions, they were excellent top tier refinements of systems in the originals, that ended up having nowhere to go because they'd refined the raw, plain systems in those games to a mirror fucking sheen. You can't improve what's literally fucking perfect any further, so you have to innovate, and that spells doom.
>>
File: DisgustedUMR.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
DisgustedUMR.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>Playing a remake of a JRPG that isn't a JRPG
>People defending neo-Square
>>
>>320157608
is it made in japan if so its a jrpg
>>
File: 1437175388971.jpg (73 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1437175388971.jpg
73 KB, 600x900
>playing japanese games
>>
File: 1449273235981.png (169 KB, 335x393) Image search: [Google]
1449273235981.png
169 KB, 335x393
Unless the game actually requires strong decision making then there is literally no reason for it to be turn based.

If you want to make turn based games that will actually sell then make them more like srpgs, or put some actually interesting mechanics into the game like negotiation and monster management.
>>
>>320157812
>strong decision making
Doesn't have to be. Could be about positioning and timing/time management as well.
>>
>>320147867
>he's just a huge faggot who makes click bait
But his discussions always match with the topics presented.

It's pretty much the exact opposite of click-bait.
>>
File: mx sterling.jpg (193 KB, 1023x652) Image search: [Google]
mx sterling.jpg
193 KB, 1023x652
>>320154869
>>320156620
>CIDF
>>
>>320159931
haha what the fuck, this is ridiculous, gamejournos are literally cancer
>>
>>320149686
His entertainment bits of his videos are fucking awful. I'd rather he write articles so I don't have to hear his stupid voice and see his retarded outfit. I agree with some of his points, but fuck I hate the guy.
>>
>>320146414
>jimquisition

irrelevant
>>
>>320146414
Traditional turn-based systems suffer from being too simplistic. If it added a grid movement system so it has more chess-like elements or even if it merely had more complicated effects for the turn-based system that made it harder to make decisions for what to do next rather than just attack or heal, then it'd not be so shit.

Since devs are dumb as fuck or rather being forced to cater to an audience that's dumb as fuck, it's easier to make real-time simple shit seem better than it really is.

Anything decent will only be a niche game because the casual masses are pigs.
>>
>>320159931
So you quite literally dont know what the word means?
>>
>>320159931
Swinging and cucholding are not the same thing you poor sexually repressed child.

Even if he was into cucholding calling him a cuc would be like calling someone with a foot fetish a foot lover.

But feel free to post more random screen caps proving you have no clue what you are talking about.
>>
>>320161293
That guy blew you the fuck out, kid.
>>
>>320161773
whatever it is, enjoy finding AIDS: the degenerate killer
>>
>>320146414
Fer fucks seyk
It's still an atrpg it just has pretty graphics to go along with it. I knew from the first thread for the remake this was going to be the back and fourth thing everyone would be talking about.
>>
>>320161832

>Blew him the fuck out

Sterling is a moron, his wife is ugly and I think open marriages are goddamn stupid, but he's still no kekold.

2/10
>>
>>320149686
Anyone with an IQ over 120 could do what he's doing. In no way is he some sort of messiah among the people because he rants about video games and makes videos out of them. You could literally go onto /v/ research the biggest argument and copy the points from one side or the other then make a video out of it. His whole wardrobe getup is absolutely awful on top of everything else.
>>
>>320159931
Just asking, but has anybody ever seen both Jim Sterling and his "wife" in the same room before?
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.