[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gaming...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: psychiatrist.jpg (39 KB, 617x416) Image search: [Google]
psychiatrist.jpg
39 KB, 617x416
Gaming in 2000
>Get a CD for $30
>Comes in a box with a booklet, has some interesting things about the development of the game in there
>Might come with some extras
>Usually a single player game with online co-op play
>If a game was shit, the orders flopped and the company would go broke
>There wasn't all these companies around to hype up shit games for money and review sites were genuine
>Games are created by young and passionate developers just trying to make really cool games

Gaming in 2015
>Game is $60 and is a digital purchase with no extras
>The booklet and other stuff is the "deluxe" for $80-100
>You can pre-order or get "early access" for $60 plus a bit extra
>The game will be broken into a sequel for $60 a piece instead of one game
>There will be micro-transactions for cosmetic shit at least
>Games only come with online play now
>Reddit will defend the game no matter how shitty and how shady the financial part is
>People will continuously keep buying the same companies games every year
>9.5/10 IGN "MINGBLOWING!"
>Games are made by CEOs and directed by board members/investors
>>
>>320135664
you just described xcom 2
>>
>>320136424
It's every major game now.

>Starcraft 2 is announced
>Fucking finally
>It's going to be a three part game for $60 a piece... what?
>Robert Kotick (CEO) wants to add in-game advertisements
>UMS feature is butchered and turned into shitty arcade
>Last expansion finally released
>Now they're going to start selling DLC pack missions
>>
>>320135664
actually it was back the same shit pretty much the only thing that changed is we used to have x-packs and now we have DLC-s

Review sites where never genuine.

Source I am 28, also I remember Final Fantasy 8 costing 61.40 euro (120 DM at that time) when it came out and, so the base game was actually even more expensive.
>>
File: 61e.png (95 KB, 537x416) Image search: [Google]
61e.png
95 KB, 537x416
>>320135664
ITT: Delusional nostalgia thread
>>
>>320135664

You're completely off on game cost. The average price for vidya in the late nineties was equivalent to 75 dollars in today-money
>>
>>320136761
UMS feature?
>>
>>320136825
>>320137012
>>320137175
Are you guys really that attoned and used to today's current state of gaming that you've forgotten how it used to be?
>>
>>320137747
A single NES game used to be $60
A single N64 game used to be $70
Adjusted for inflation that's around $100 per game
There were no real reviews except for a handful of very shady magazines that were basically advertisements so you often bought games just on the box art and blurb on the back hoping it was good, which is a big risk to take for $100

Things weren't always peaches and cream
>>
>>320137747
nope but I remember I had to pay for every new game 100 to 120 DM thats now 52 to 62 euro

x-packs used to be from 30 to 40 euro, sometimes 20 euro

DLC where non exist-ended and if you didn't have internet or fast net you had to buy game magazines who have a CD with demos and patches.

God I remember how much I hated Fallout 2 , the game was full of broken quest a and bugs when it came out and when you installed the patch it made your old save files unusable.

I am 28 now and when I was a kid money was a problem now its more about using time efficient so I value time over money now.
>>
>>320137012

>It's delusional that i have to spend far more for games people used to pay far less for
>It's delusional that a third of content is purposely left out to be behind a pay wall so it can be downloadable content
>It's delusional to even so much as speak out against this nowadays

Jesus Christ, don't be a fucking moron.
>>
>>320138681
but you have been debunked by 2 guys above you how much the games costed.
>>
>>320136761
I agree with most of this thread, but you guys are fucking autistic sometimes.

Starcraft 2 has a proper campaign for each expansion. I have played both starcraft 1, warcraft 2 and warcraft 3 recently. I'll take warcraft 3 as an example because it's the most recent one.

> WC3 - 37 missions and ~20 hours of playtime
> WC3: frozen throne - 22 main missions and 3 for rexxar, main missions are less than 15 hours of play time. rexxar campaign is 3-5 hours depending on how relaxed and completist you are

> SC2: WoL: 22 required missions, 1 optional and 3 alternates, at least 20 hours of gametime
> SC2: HotS: 18 missions, most of them pretty long, 15-20 hours of game time
> SC2: LotV: 25 missions, again, at least 20-22 hours of game-time

Not to mention tons of cinematics, interactions and customization. The story is bad and cheesy, yes. But the gameplay itself is still very good.

I bet that if Blizzard had two expansions with ~8 missions each like they did with WC3 you guys would still have sperged online.

And also, it's the only remotely competitive RTS out there with proper balance.
>>
OP status
> #REKT
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.