[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
would /v/ be interested in a complex game that looks like a visual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: vb-gui-sized-s.jpg (38 KB, 216x190) Image search: [Google]
vb-gui-sized-s.jpg
38 KB, 216x190
would /v/ be interested in a complex game that looks like a visual basic GUI application?

I want to code a complex game about NPC interactions, maybe in some rpg town with history, personality, mood and all that fancy human behaviour shit, while fighting hordes of monsters and sieges but I don't want to waste time on fancy graphics or art beyond some drawings.

Are there any example of some popular game that looks like microsoft office?
>>
>>320130930
Dwarf Fortress is all that comes to mind
>>
Even if it's entirely a UI-based game, surely you could make it look more interesting?
>>
>>320131038
I know, but I don't want to make a copy of DF.
more like AoEII + SIMS + gnomoria
>>
>>320131192
graphics and art are what takes really long time to make.

even a basic roguelike need stuff like fog of war and A* and polish any bug they may have.
>>
>>320131315

just get some colour in there, god damn
>>
if you can make a product that is complex and allows a lot of freedom for the player then you'll definitely have a great game regardless of the graphics

graphics are generally for a more casual audience to enjoy a game, the kinds of people would even be interested in a complex game probably don't care about graphics that much in the first place

a visual basic GUI is preferable if you don't want to work on graphics at all, as you can represent all the data and inputs you need in the forms available for those programs
>>
File: ss13.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2111) Image search: [Google]
ss13.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2111
>>320130930
make a single player space station 13 management sim
>>
File: stars.png (160 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
stars.png
160 KB, 1920x1080
>>320130930
Not popular, but Stars! is the granddaddy of the 4X genre. Very deep game. It's a 16-bit application though so you'll need an emulator to run it on a 64-bit machine.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/27002/Stars!.html
>>
>>320130930
Do you actually have any programming and design experience or are you just an idea guy?
>>
>>320132404

There's another game like this but what's it called? Aura or something?

>>320131315
>>320131489

You could use something like Unity2D for its UI system. You could make the same thing, but get some colour in there, nice borders, different shapes, rounded corners for buttons, fonts, etc.

You could even get some basic sound and "juice" for extra appeal.
>>
>>320130930
Who cares?
You're not going to make it.
>>
Presentation is still important with games. Choosing to have a shit looking UI doesn't make any sense to me
>>
>>320132862
Aurora. From what I've heard, it's a great game with an absolutely awful UI. Even DF players struggle to get into it.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.