[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on the new UT? Seems fun to me, has the spirit of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: unreal.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
unreal.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
Thoughts on the new UT? Seems fun to me, has the spirit of the old ones.
>>
>>320126121
It's pretty good, reminds me more of UT99 than the other ones, which is just as good.
I'm still assmad that there won't be a proper Unreal 3 though, even a remake keeping the original level design would be enough.
>>
>>320126321
I do miss double jump, and the movement system seems a bit wonky sometimes, but I never played UT99 much.

What was so good about the unreal games?
>>
>>320126121
It's interesting. Shame it will never go anywhere big and will only be played by a handful of dudes.
>>
>>320127010
Why do you say that?
>>
>>320127214
Because the audience isn't really there.

All the normies are content with playing stuff like CoD and things with no real learning curve.

And all the "why can't more games be like Quake and UT" people are both minuscule and similar to the "we want classic wow" people. They don't actually want it.
>>
Hella fun.
Unfortunately, no one playing.
Best I can find is a server with two others in it at any given time, and they're usually Italians playing on NA servers for whatever goddamn reason.
>>
>>320126891
>What was so good about the unreal games?
Only the original Unreal and to an extent the expansion (although that was quite a bit worse).
It's probably quite subjective, but I've beaten the game like 10 times at least, it's my favorite FPS of all time.
It did most of the things HL is now famous for half a year earlier and a lot better.
Let's compare it to something like Quake or Doom.
Unreal doesn't have the same feel of levels as those - you journey through half the planet, but you are never just teleported between locations (well once, but you actually step into a teleporter). Instead you take the journey every step of the way, with wildly differing locales that miraculously fit together - you go through lush valleys, underground mines with lava, ancient temples, human and alien spaceships, castles, floating cities in the sky and more and never once is this cut in any jarring way.
For it's time it had insanely amazing graphics (think Crysis tier) and incredible soundtrack which holds to this day.
Combat is a bit different to Doom - there are fewer enemies, but more cunning - dodging and weaving around, taking cover, flanking you, feigning dead.
It almost feels like a dance sometimes - you have to be always moving, dodging and shooting at the same time.
And it has a minimalist, but interesting story and fluff that you are at a total freedom to either seek out or ignore. There isn't a single cutscene bar the outro, all the little details are scattered as textlogs that you are at liberty to read.

Unreal 2 on the other hand is a shitty Halo clone.
>>
>>320127565
Shit son
I gotta play this now
>>
>>320127565
To be fair. Nobody really played the first UT games.

The series pretty much started with Tournament as far as most people are concerned.
>>
>get on
>less than 100 people playing
>the only populated servers have passwords

If Epic wants this game to succeed, they need to fucking advertise it.
>>
>>320126121
New Unreal please. I don't care about the wars, the mining corporations or the holocaust.

Prisoner 849.
Unknown planet.
New native aliums.
Skaarj may or may not be involved.
Nice rooty-tooty point and shooty singleplayer campaign.

pleas and thank
>>
>>320127928
>spending money on advertising a free game with no current money making model
>a pre-alpha at that
Uh
>>
>>320127928
Their advertising budget is limited, they'll start putting ads probably when the game is almost finished. No reason to blow your budget on advertising when the game is in alpha, that way people will come and see it's pretty shit and never come back.
>>320128181
>no current money making model
But it does, they sell hats
>>
>>320128259
Wrong. The players sell the hats. Money goes to the players.
>>
Vehicles and assault when
>>
How's the announcer? Is it still like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dWPPgHj8rM
>>
>>320127876
>I am very young
>>
>>320127405
''no learning curve''
>only learning curve that can exist is le moving fast sonic maymay x-DDD
Go kill yourself
>>
>>320128440
It's the classic
>>
>>320128310
>Wrong. The players sell the hats. Money goes to the players
Are you a fucking retard? Do you think they just let them sell stuff made in their engine and sold on their platform without taking a cut? The game does have a money making model.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.