[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Itt games that are true art.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 17
Itt games that are true art.
>>
>>320123653
I agree, the framerate is quite cinematic. I'm glad PC cukkholds didn't ruin it by 'improving' the framerate like they did with Dark Souls.
>>
>>320123728
>Unironic false flag wojak post
Kek
>>
File: PK_Out_of_the_Shadows.jpg (87 KB, 640x908) Image search: [Google]
PK_Out_of_the_Shadows.jpg
87 KB, 640x908
>>320123728
>Shitposting
I hate neo-/v/
>>
>>320123653
>Pic unrelated
>>
How do you define what is true art?
>>
>>320123728
>>
File: Bethesda2.jpg (319 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Bethesda2.jpg
319 KB, 1600x900
>>320124286
the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

sounds like video games fit the bill.
>>
>>320124286
Some games transcend the vidya medium to become high art. Bloodborne is the best example of this. It is the mona Lisa of video games
>>
>>320124498
So tabletop games are art too right
>>
File: 1437009041594.gif (131 KB, 285x287) Image search: [Google]
1437009041594.gif
131 KB, 285x287
>>320123905
>>320123969
>>320124494
OP knew what he was doing. Like a slut wearing nothing but heels and the tightest, skimpiest dress while walking into Detroit at night.

Stop whiteknighting OP when he was asking for it
>>
SILENT HILL 1-4
>>
>>320124667
This. Games aren't art. Especially bb.
>>
>>320124498
everything fits it that's the problem.
>>
>>320124624
>>320124786
Did either of you actually read his post?
>>
>>320124624
Why would they not be? They are the application of design, storytelling, and visual art (in some cases even with sculpting). I give you one point for making me reply.
>>
File: sotc.png (1 MB, 1189x823) Image search: [Google]
sotc.png
1 MB, 1189x823
>>
Video games can be art but they don't need to be.
>>
File: Andrei Tarkovsky.jpg (51 KB, 320x696) Image search: [Google]
Andrei Tarkovsky.jpg
51 KB, 320x696
>>320124596
>Art is born and takes hold wherever there is a timeless and insatiable longing for the spiritual, for the ideal: that longing which draws people to art. Modern art has taken the wrong turn in abandoning the search for the meaning of existence in order to affirm the value of the individual for his own sake. What purports to be art begins to looks like an eccentric occupation for suspect characters who maintain that any personalised action is of intrinsic value simply as a display of self-will. But in an artistic creation the personality does not assert itself it serves another, higher and communal idea. The artist is always the servant, and is perpetually trying to pay for the gift that has been given to him as if by a miracle. Modern man, however, does not want to make any sacrifice, even though true affirmation of the self can only be expressed in sacrifice. We are gradually forgetting about this, and at the same time, inevitably, losing all sense of human calling.

If a video game expresses the eternal transcendental ideas which man unconsciously compares himself and the world around him to, then yes. It is art.
>>
In all seriousness Bloodborne is pretty awesome.
It's like playing through a masterpiece of fine art
>>
>>320125332
This. Its fucking unreal. God I love the look sound and feel of the combat and how it meshes so perfectly with its incredible one of a kind world. Game is a fucking trip, everything about it from the atmosphere to the lore
>>
I think some games can be art but graphics always get better and older games start to look like shit. Vidya most of the time ages bad. Movies and music and all kinds of other art never have this problem.
>>
File: arcanum.jpg (40 KB, 248x300) Image search: [Google]
arcanum.jpg
40 KB, 248x300
>>
>>320125672
>graphics are literally everything
If the art style is good it doesn't matter in the slightest. I hate that I share a hobby with people like you.
>>
>>320125756
This is modern /v/, where graphics is all.
>>
>>320125098
Based Tarkovsky and /v/ dont get along, fedorafag.
I would say he might hsve liked Journey though
>>
>>320125826
Nah, people care far more about frame rate than actual visual quality.
>>
File: 1450105181627.png (22 KB, 1125x873) Image search: [Google]
1450105181627.png
22 KB, 1125x873
DELETE THIS THREAD
>>
Pic related, then.

Games aren't art because they are games. A game is an arbitrary set of rules.

I don't call Texas Hold Em art.
I don't call the United States Tax Code art.
I don't call my employee handbook art.

Take away all the artistic elements of a game -mute the audio, change all graphics to empty wireframes - and look at what is left. What remains is a system which will still respond 100% the same way to your controller inputs as if all of those components were restored. What remains, unaltered by those omissions, is as much of a game as the game was with those elements.

Games use art. Games, as being nothing more than a set of rules, are not art.
>>
pic related
>>
>>320125756
Thats just how lots of people see it imo. I don't put graphics on my must be good or i wont play list.
>>
>>320123728
In the world of gaming wouldn't console fags be the keks? You're forced to watch as the master race enjoys your exclusives.
>>
>>320125672
>older games start to look like shit

They can't start to look like shit if they look the same as when they released you fucking moron. Only a real idiot would compare old games with new games and complain that they don't look as fancy when there is a perfectly fine reason for that.

People like you are driving a sentiment that stops people from playing old games. The gameplay design doesn't change. It's still the same game as when it was released, and still just as playable (barring faulty hardware etc.)

>Movies and music and all kinds of other art never have this problem.

At least make your posts make sense. Movies and art use the technology of the day, they can suffer the same issue as games. The thing is that people can look at the time it was made and appreciate it based on that. Retards like you don't seem to think this applies to video games as well.
>>
File: 12514.png (383 KB, 600x530) Image search: [Google]
12514.png
383 KB, 600x530
these threads are so cringe inducing

it is appropriate to refer to a video game as a work of art yes, in this language

the question doesn't matter in any way
>>
>>320125956
take away the paint and you get a canvas. huge surprise.
>>
>>320125841
>he might have liked Journey though

Possibly, but he was very insistent on art having the human experience as its center.

Ico or SotC might be better choices.
>>
>>320126250
I don't call a blank canvas art.
>>
>>320125956
>Take away the words in a book and you're left with empty pages

Literature confirmed for not being art.
>>
File: 1449488971403.jpg (58 KB, 474x548) Image search: [Google]
1449488971403.jpg
58 KB, 474x548
>>320126014
>90 metacritic score
JUST
>>
>>320126362
So by your logic, paintings aren't art.
>>
>>320124667
Not what whiteknighting is at all.
>>
>>320126371
I don't call a blank journal art, no.
>>320126438
A blank canvas is not art.

A blank canvas with a single alteration to its original state is art, because it has taken some kind of human expression to place that alteration there, and was done so without any particular rule about how that occurred.
>>
>>320126362
exactly, It's only once the paint is masterfully applied that it is art. You wouldn't call a barebones prototype of a game art. But by definition, once the lush visuals and music are applied, a video game becomes art.This argument makes no sense. Video games are art, sure you can strip away the artistic elements, but you can do the same thing with 'real art'
All of these arguments would be the same as saying art does not exist. Obviously underneath the art is going to be the absence of art.
>>
>>320126689
So a game with a single artistic alteration is then art.
>>
Are we stuck in the dark ages of Post-Modernist Cynism and self-loathing?
>>
>>320126874
>once the lush visuals and music are applied, a video game becomes art.
>Obviously underneath the art is going to be the absence of art.
Actually if anything, a blank canvas is closer to a game than art, because it dictates impositions and limitations on what the artist can do with it. It is of a certain size and texture and is intended to be hung on a wall; therefore, this puts limits on the dimension and materials which the artist can use to create art upon it.

The application of artistic elements to a game does not alter the game. The game remains the same.
>>320126976
A game, as a set of rules, cannot be artistically reinterpreted.

If you were to say that you were going to make an artistic rendition of baseball by requiring four strikes to make the batter be called out, then that is no longer what baseball is.

You cannot consider an altered set of rules to be equal to the original rules.
>>
>>320125332
It's great. The details, the buildings, every piece of furniture looks like it could easily be part of a fine painting
>>
>>320127635
>a blank canvas is closer to a game than art

So a painting is thus artistic elements added unto a game.

Thus a painting is not art.

>The application of artistic elements to a game does not alter the game. The game remains the same.

Then the applications of artistic elements unto a blank canvas does not alter the canvas.

What is your point even?
>>
>>320127991
>Then the applications of artistic elements unto a blank canvas does not alter the canvas.
Basically yes.

To assure the segregation, I would write it to say "not alter what the original state of the canvas was", but the overriding point remains.

>What is your point even?
For you to write that statement and see how the separation of artistic elements from game rules is both possible as well as what needs to be done to understand that games, as a set of rules, are not art.

Thank you for coming to that understanding.
>>
>>320128443
So a game is not art, but a video game is.

Is that your point?
>>
>>320123653
Why does a massive bridge have a church on one side and a cliff drop on the other side. What is the point in building it if it goes nowhere?
>>
>>320128537
Which bridge are you talking about, the Cleric Beast bridge?
>>
>>320128521
The video part of a video game is art.
The game part of a video game is not art.
>>
>>320128847
>The words part of a work of literature is art.
>The book part of a work of literature is not art.

So is literature art?

If it is, so is video games.
>>
File: 1409247707418.jpg (44 KB, 200x254) Image search: [Google]
1409247707418.jpg
44 KB, 200x254
>>320123653
>false flagging
>>
>>320128847
The video part of a videogame is the paint
The game part of a videogame is the canvas

As a whole is the painting, it is art.
>>
File: 1441427430280.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
1441427430280.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>320123653
Not a single game made such a profound impact on me as this one. A true work of art. Bloodborne is also great, but it's more of a toy than art.
>>
File: wheres the gameplay.jpg (80 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
wheres the gameplay.jpg
80 KB, 640x427
>>320123653
Oh yes, plenty of art on the PS4 :)
>>
>Faggots that think something is either top tier Art or it isn't art at all. Can't differentiate as good or bad instead.
>>
>>320129184
Artistic literature is art.
Literature is not a game.
>>
>>320129582
As a whole, it is an artistic creation which utilizes an unartistic element in its creation.
>>
File: Master_TetrisLogo_R_700x4562.png (54 KB, 700x456) Image search: [Google]
Master_TetrisLogo_R_700x4562.png
54 KB, 700x456
>>
Are there other games with a mechanic like insight? Or rather some other Lovecraftian games
>>
>>320125756
But art style is almost never good enough for game to hold for much long, not to say most old games have shitty obsolete mechanics which don't add any value to the game as of now, only hinder experiencing what's good left there, good designer practices for accessible while not dumbed-down gameplay are only beginning to set, really only a very few people have an idea how to make a complex game now, field is still very infant. Game designers and developers usually have a limited number of tools and limited by hardware, literature authors never had this problem, artists and musicians only in the slightest degree, even moviemakers are much more free with what they could actually do, and for a game designer to deliver his vision is a rare thing when all you have is a bunch of programmers of varying qualification (usually not that good, good ones don't go for vidya industry), and all that bunch of programmers has is some not-perfect tools most of which were non-existant just a few years ago, then they have to keep in mind the hardware on the consumer end and allowed complexity of the whole thing based on said hardware and fucking timeframes. Not much time to think about how your game will look in a few years when no one will bother buying it anyway, not much time to think through how this game will actually play and what flow will it have. So the games that are actually still enjoyable today despite being released few gens ago is a rare fucking thing and most of those are known by everybody by now. Most of those games that you or me enjoyed as kids are nothing special by todays standards, you can boot em up and check yourself if you didn't yet.
cont.
>>
>>320130501
cont.
Games aren't made to age, not now at least, when there is insufficient resources everywhere you look in the process of making games. You don't go to a museum and stare in awe at some stone age cavern wallpainting, no one had the right techniques or tools back there, it took some thousands years for those to appear. Really good shit will start coming out in at least decade or two considering the industry won't be ruined by the lowest denominator in it's audience (it probably won't, don't worry), "games is art" meme now is something that is laughable at by any sane person, because no one who knows two shits about his art would say that.
>>
>>320124667
I wanna fuck nyanpasu.
>>
>expecting le never ever and sickdark silky smooth 2 fps thread
>get a civil discussion on videogames' credibility as art

Pleasantly surprised
>>
>>320130162
Yes, but it is not different from other art mediums. Sculpture is an art but the rock used in its creation is not an artistic element.
>>
>>320129582
What is Half Life
>>
>Shrouded by night, but with steady stride. Colored by blood, but always clear of mind. Proud hunter of the church. Beasts are a curse, And a curse is a shackle. Only ye are the true blades of the Church.
Did anyone else love that? Reminded me of game of thrones.

Bloodborne really needed more npcs I'm glad the old hunters added more
>>
File: 5TwYp.png (561 KB, 1250x1250) Image search: [Google]
5TwYp.png
561 KB, 1250x1250
>>320130501
>>320130578
most music and movies also doesn't meet the complexity of modern standards, but at the same time those standards were set by a cultural preservation of previous works. Half Life, Silent Hill 2, Portal, Limbo, just to name you a few examples, are games that show how mechanics and gameplay desing can stand the test of time not by having the most updated features, but by being a reminder of good craftmanship with the tools and technology of their time. Just like classic masterpieces, such as, Metropolis, Citizen Kane, The Seventh Seal, or albums, like most 60 psych rock, feel "dated" by now yet they're still regarded as masterpieces that influenced a whole new generation.
Games are not respected as an art form not because of the games themselves, but because of the way they're marketed and the fact that you have to go through a lot to play (for reference), all of the games listed on pic related.
But with movies or music, all you need is a record player, DVD player, and that's it. Most classic albums are so respected or valued, that they get republished often, same thing with movies.
>>
>>320130578
>You don't go to a museum and stare in awe at some stone age cavern wallpainting
allow me to quote what you said:
>no one who knows two shits about his art would say that
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.