[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can a video GAME with bad GAMEplay still be a good game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
Can a video GAME with bad GAMEplay still be a good game?
>>
No.
>>
>>320115303
As long as it doesn't rely heavily on it's gameplay, then yes.

MYST, for example. Or if you're into it, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
>>
Hey fuck you, I liked how Crisis Core played.
>>
>>320115453
Uhh, okay...

*rolls eyes*
>>
>>320115303
Crisis Core had good gameplay. No worse than FFVII remake is gonna have.
MODULATING PHASE
>>
>>320115664
CONFLICT RESOLVED
>>
Is there a hack to fix the level-up system? That's the only way I'd go near Crisis Core again.
>>
>>320115759
It only appears to be random you fucking goober
>>
>>320115303
Yes, Undertale is GOTY
>>
witcher 3
>>
>>320115303
Of course, P:T is a great example. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an uneducated child.
>>
It's highly unlikely but can be possible in very rare circumstances. Now post a game with bad gameplay.
>>320115759
The game has a hidden EXP bar that increases the chances of getting a level up to the point that it's guaranteed. Are people really so blind that they didn't notice how conveniently timed levels were in the game?
>>
>>320115303
>I didn't like it so it MUST be bad
elohel
>>
File: YokoTaro.jpg (18 KB, 599x327) Image search: [Google]
YokoTaro.jpg
18 KB, 599x327
>>320115303
>Can a video GAME with bad GAMEplay still be a good game?

This guy right here has lived his life making games with bad gameplay and awful FPS rate, but people still like their games because they still fell unique and they have potential. we live in an era were people like not just the gameplay, but the media and all the content too
>>
>>320115303
Nier
Yes
>>
>>320115664
Clunky menu-based action combat with gimmicks versus fluid menu-based action combat with characters switching
You're right anon, no worse at all :^)
>>
File: ZE3never.png (446 KB, 540x786) Image search: [Google]
ZE3never.png
446 KB, 540x786

puzzles were all right, but it delivered a unique story experience that could only be done justice as a game
>>
>>320115303
People on /v/ are retarded
Everyone in this thread is retarded
What do you mean by gameplay?
If you go by retard definition and gameplay=combat, no, game can be good with bad combat if other parts of the game are super good

What people fail to understand is that leveling, level design and your movement, AI, bosses etc. are all part of gameplay, gameplay is ultimately all the core aspects in which you interact with the game and affect the world in the game. Clicking on fucking text and choosing evidence is gameplay for Phoenix Wright games, crafting and alchemy are part of gameplay in RPGs etc.

If you mean the actual definition, can game be good if it's GAMEPLAY is bad, no, because what you are saying is can game be good if all the essential elements in which the player interact with the game are bad.
>>
>>320115303
No.
Case in point - New Vegas.
>>
>>320116945
That's not bad gameplay. It's literally a puzzle game.
>>
Depends on how much of the game you consider gameplay. I enjoy morrowind, but I think the combat is pretty bad when I'm not min/maxing.
>>
>thinking CC has randomized level ups
You can't be this retarded.
Level up are literally based on a hidden Exp bar.
>>
If a game had bad gameplay but you liked it because of the story, then you could say it was a good experience, but not a good game.
>>
Any visual novel style game fits this to the T.
>>
>>320117485
well, more that the gameplay was pretty serviceable, not the best puzzles around but they get the job done
>>
>>320116541
>Yoko Taro
The gameplay in Nier was pretty bad but it's still my favourite game
>>
>>320117658
bullshit i remember just sitting in one battle hold the block button and leveling up 4 times
>>
>>320115303

Broken roulette ending made me cry. Fuck you.
>>
>>320118268

The balance was fucked and it lacked variety, but there wasn't anything wrong with the core mechanics. It was serviceable, just not good enough to hold up an entire game without some outside gimmicks.
>>
>>320115303

Everything else needs to be stellar.
>>
>>320119145
>>320116230
You got lucky or your levels caught up to you, most likely the latter.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.