[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>you had one job Just finished the game, big disappointment.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 13
>you had one job
Just finished the game, big disappointment.
That being said, disappointing crossovers thread?
>>
>>320115083
I only heard good things about it. What did you dislike?
>>
>big disappointment.
What didn't you like? I thought it was a perfect crossover.
Puzzles were a bit easy, but that's it.
>>
First of all, crossovers are hard to make without pissing people off from one of the sides

Second, you probably hated whatever side you didn't actually play
>>
>>320115310
>Second, you probably hated whatever side you didn't actually play

This. Fuck quick google search tier puzzles. I cannot understand how people pay $40 for Layton
>>
>>320115083
>implying this isn't the GOAT crossover
>>
>>320115254
>>320115175
>>320115310
Nah, I like both of them, bit more inclined to AA though. My beef is with the story though, the ending in particular.
Espella was a pretty weakly written character for once, furthermore,
What happens to Barnham after he gets arrested?
Did the whole Gold Layton thing became forgotten while Maya made strides to hide her identity?
>>
>>320115175
The game isn't disappointing as a whole, like OP makes it out to be.
But the ending really is a big disappointment.

When "it's all been just a dream" is a better ending to a game than the actual ending, you know there is a big problem.
>>
File: laytonphoenix.png (266 KB, 849x464) Image search: [Google]
laytonphoenix.png
266 KB, 849x464
>Rated E for Everyone
>>
>>320115083
>start game
>hear this shitty ass english dub and see this shitty fucking americanization

In to the fucking trash.
>>
File: 1390807597548.png (215 KB, 650x902) Image search: [Google]
1390807597548.png
215 KB, 650x902
>>320115735
>americanization
>>
>>320115587
Everybody who knows Layton should expect an M Night Shammy ending desu
>>
>>320115910
This is an insult to Shyamalan. I actually liked his films.
>>
>>320115808
>my sides

>>320115587
The ending really killed it for me. I mean, Layton games have a tendency to have some outlandish endings but PWvsAA really cuts the cake. Still, I do appreciate everything else.
>>
>>320116137
PLvsAA, sorry.
>>
>Played for an hour without saving because the game only lets you save every once in a while

>Bump the cartridge for the first time in my fucking life

Dropped
>>
>>320115587

It's a Layton game so it wasn't that surprising.
>>
>>320115083
Actually, making Professor Layton work and Phoenix Wright work in one game is more than one job.
>>
>>320115175
From what I've played so far it seems like a half-assed Ace Attorney game and a half-assed Professor Layton game glued together, rather than an engaging combination of the two.
>>
It's just a Professor Layton game. The Ace Attorney part is a little addition.
>>
>>320116634
>Phoenix Wright
He's fucking called Ryuuichi Naruhodou.
>>
>>320116652
The gameplay of both parts got watered downed substantially, in, what I can guess, an attempt to not scare off the players who only tried either one.
But in reality it was just disappointing for both fanbases. Although, I can't say that low difficulty of puzzles and courtroom sessions turned me off anywhere near as the ending did. It's still an enjoyable AA game or PL game overall.
>>
What if there was a story where both parties were actually on different sides, fighting for what they perceive to be the truth? Have some Maya and Luke mingling but keep a honest to earth rivalry between Phoenix and Layton. Phoenix more or less played second fiddle to Layton in the game plot wise anyways.
>>
>>320115587
>his first Layton game was PWxPL
>>
>>320119445
Admittedly it was. But I've played through the first Layton game shortly afterwards, I honestly didn't find its ending bad.
>>
>>320116265
>the game only lets you save every once in a while
You can save pretty much anytime you want.
>>
File: 35086393_p3.jpg (326 KB, 512x768) Image search: [Google]
35086393_p3.jpg
326 KB, 512x768
Game has a great amount of characters
>>
File: phoenix-document(a).gif (88 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
phoenix-document(a).gif
88 KB, 256x192
>>320116939
Hello, everyone! My name is Dragon Isee, and with my assistant Evening Village (who loves burgers and who I met after her sister, Thousandfathoms Village, was killed), I investigate crimes and defend clients as a defense attorney! My rival is the prosecutor Clever Swordedge, who I was in primary school with (together with my first client, Youknow Forsure). He was mentored by Fromhell Demon, a famous prosecutor (who is now gone, but his legacy continues with his daughter, Dark Demon).

These days I've taken proteges myself, like Surprise Lawboy and Moon Heartnoise, and adopted a daughter, Seethrough. Life is swell here in Japanifornia.
>>
>>320115083
The in-between cases were great, it was the ending that was a huge disappointmenr. The trap reveal was great though, the Golden Turnabout may be one of my favourite cases.
>>
Yeah the ending was pretty disappointing, I guess it probably was because Takumi wrote the plot and he tried to go full retard with the Layton style twist.
>>
File: professor faggotry.png (323 KB, 1039x407) Image search: [Google]
professor faggotry.png
323 KB, 1039x407
>>320115175
>>320115254
>>
>>320120789
Didn't he work together with a Layton writer? They divided the parts of the game, even if Takumi is credited as director.

>Broadly speaking, LEVEL-5 was responsible for the programming, while Capcom were in charge of art direction. Both companies were responsible for parts of the story and the music.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Asks/Iwata-Asks-Professor-Layton-vs-Phoenix-Wright-Ace-Attorney/Professor-Layton-vs-Phoenix-Wright-Ace-Attorney/4-Things-Like-That-/4-Things-Like-That--850437.html
>>
>>320120165
You owe a new pair of sides family.

On another note, didn't the creators of PWAA imagined the English localized like a Man In The High Castle or Big Hero 6 scenario, where the Japanese win the war?
>>
>>320121428
One thing I can't complain is the OST, not one bit.
That Mob Testimony Allegro is a slice of heaven.
>>
>PLvsAA literally first game I played on my 3DS
>get used to the 3D models in PLvsAA
>love the game itself
>play Dual Destinies later
>3D models now look like shit
>Dual Destinies is shit too
>>
>>320121463
Not quite, it's more about the enmity between Americans and Japanese not existing and there being a large group of Japanese immigrants

>When I took over the series’ localization direction starting with the second game, one of the first things I had to deal with was what to do with Maya’s hometown and all the mysticism surrounding the Fey clan. It was then that I created a little headcanon for myself (which I suppose is actually real canon now for the localized version): while “Gyakuten Saiban” takes place in Japan, the Los Angeles that “Ace Attorney” takes place in is an alternate universe where anti-Japanese sentiments and anti-immigrant laws were not enacted, and Japanese culture was allowed to flourish and blend into the local culture in the same manner as other immigrant cultures.

>Not counting budget and time restraints, this little headcanon has pretty much dictated what I would keep as Japanese and what to completely localize. For example, anything related to Maya’s clan and the Kurain Channeling Technique is pretty much guaranteed to stay Japanese because that’s her heritage while Japanese foods that are not commonly known in the West will probably be localized in the interest of keeping the game from needing a 50-page explanatory booklet.

>By the way, random facts: I adore the fandom name “Japanifornia”, and imagine my surprise when I first saw the “Big Hero 6” movie trailer! No matter what anyone says, Japanifornia will always be THE ORIGINAL San Fransokyo to me. *grin*

http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobjections/blog/2014/11/21/localization-and-ace-attorney
http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobjections/blog/2014/10/31/ace-attorney-trilogy---surprising-tidbits-you-never-knew
>>
>>320121759
They're just different, mang. I like the crazy range of expressions that the DD models allow, the PLvAA ones don't ever go as far as people like Means or Rimes.

DGS's sprites blow both DD's and PLvAA's out of the water, though, they're like the best of both worlds and fucking gorgeous.
>>
>>320121808
>Japanese foods that are not commonly known in the West will probably be localized in the interest of keeping the game from needing a 50-page explanatory booklet.
I want to kick those fuckers in the faces repeatedly now even more than I did before reading this.
>>
>>320115395
>have to use google for puzzle
holy shit what a fucking retard
>>
>>320115579
>with the story

The story is a Layton story, there's nothing out of the ordinary with it when looked at it in that way.
>>
>>320121759
Man this is terrible taste.
>>
File: 1448823313381.png (483 KB, 529x747) Image search: [Google]
1448823313381.png
483 KB, 529x747
>>320115395
>Fuck quick google search tier puzzles
>>
>>320121808
this just in : big 6 and AA takes on same universe
>>
>>320121920
>They're just different, mang.
First impressions I guess?

But I don't like that DD is trying to pretend it's still sprites. It's like a bizarro form of uncanny valley.

In PLvsAA they were 3D models and they went ahead with a smooth 3D theme, which did make sense and felt natural.

>DGS's sprites blow both DD's and PLvAA's out of the water
Translation fucking never.
>>
>>320121979
They defend that pretty well, honestly. Remember that this series is played by kids, too.

>Case in point: What is this?

>If you answered, “A kindergartener’s name badge!” then congratulations! You know a thing or two about Japanese schools! If you answered, “Oh wow, that reminds me of kindergarten!” then congratulations! You probably went to one in Japan and are feeling nostalgic now! If you answered, “Tofu on fire!” then congratulations! You probably have no idea what this thing is and are probably not Japanese. As these articles point out, Japanese netizens had a good laugh at the description “tofu on fire” for this simple emoji that they took for granted to mean a kindergartener’s tulip-shaped name badge, with some people expressing nostalgia at just seeing a picture of one.

Point is that people have a different response to familiar things across the world, and there's a kind of "emotional localization" to have the same reaction. Yes, noodles/hamburgers is a pretty silly one, in that regard.
>>
>>320122201
>First impressions I guess?
>>320121759
>Dual Destinies is shit too

Are you saying you never got used to it or never finished DD or what
>>
>>320115083
playing it now actually. not a fan of "magic being real" but that's what I get for buying the game blind because I liked PL and PW games before. The puzzles also suck. Court cases are ok. It's not the mesh of both series that I wanted. it kinda just makes me wish i was playing either a professor layton or a phoenix wright game, and not the mix of the two that i actually am playing.
>>
>>320122261
>play videogame as a kid
>see foreign element you don't know nothing about
>use your dial internet to altavista the foreign element
>I learned something new that day
Only American hate learning foreign things, is part of their culture
>>
>>320122593
So they should just have kept the setting in Japanese, leaving the original names and such like Persona? It would have a completely different audience, then.
>>
>>320122261
I just find it as bad as turning Macross into Robotech, except that maybe made vague sense 30 years ago when people had no idea about Japanese pop culture.

Now they take a Japanese game with the target audience consisting of maybe 90% fans of or people familiar with Japanese pop culture and they bowdlerize it for the 5 people left in the world who never heard of sushi.

And this is the bullshit reason we don't get to see AAI2 and DGS officially released, or a physical release of DD.

Without writing an essay, fuck them and their excuses and everything they stand for.

>>320122328
I finished DD, never got fully used to the 3D style, and I was wholly unimpressed with the game. AJ was a drawn-out snorefest at times, but at least it didn't irritate the fuck out of me.
>>
File: Ologiedead.jpg (60 KB, 630x480) Image search: [Google]
Ologiedead.jpg
60 KB, 630x480
>>320115702
Never played a Layton or PW game but as far as i know they're not afraid of showing violence.
>>
>>320123256
>Never played a Layton or PW game
why are you even in this thread?
i just dont understand you people
>>
>>320123256
Layton Brothers was so mediocre
>>320123395
He played the phonetrash cash-in
>>
File: 200 mad.jpg (15 KB, 152x216) Image search: [Google]
200 mad.jpg
15 KB, 152x216
>>320115083
>no interaction between Gumshoe and Chelmey
>>
>>320123176
>And this is the bullshit reason we don't get to see AAI2 and DGS officially released, or a physical release of DD.

No, it's not, don't make shit up. AAI2 especially doesn't have any more difficulty getting translated than any other game in the series, it was released at a shitty time and was of an offshoot series (AAI got forever to get localized and then didn't release everywhere, too). AA as a series just doesn't seem to be selling well enough to make up for localization costs. I'm guessing that's the same with DGS too, as it's technically a "spin-off".

And the sushi or noodles shit is by far the easiest to localize out of any of these games. Read those blogs, they specifically go on about torikawa, grilled chicken skins, which would just sound really weird in English. There's just a lot of associations and references which you simply can't transfer easily to English without keeping the whole setting the same and just banking on people who are way into Japanese culture already. Some of that stuff came back to bite them in the ass because there seems to be zero cooperation between various Capcom branches, but that's how it is.
>>
>>320123395
why not?

>>320123425
i didn't. My experience with these is The Eternal Diva for one and the DD demo for the other.
>>
>>320123893
god the music in that movie was top tier
>>
>>320115395
...are you serious? is this post satire? they're not quick if you don't google search the solutions.

though in PL/PW they're not the same kind of puzzles as in the other layton games. they're more mazes and moving things than word and logic puzzles, and I much, much prefer the logic type puzzles from the first few layton games to the actual mazes and shit they have in this one.
>>
>>320123176
>Now they take a Japanese game with the target audience consisting of maybe 90% fans of or people familiar with Japanese pop culture and they bowdlerize it for the 5 people left in the world who never heard of sushi.

i don't know how you got into the series, but I bought the game as a 14 year old knowing next to nothing about that, only thinking to pick up a cool point n click

don't overestimate the amount of people who actually know japanese culture well, it happens way too much, especially on 4chan
>>
>>320115702
its rated T though
>>
>>320116265
the only time you can't save is during scripted cutscene dialogues. wtf are you talking about? literally just press start and save.
>>
I wasn't expecting it be either the best Layton game or the best AA game, and I quite enjoyed it for what it was. I appreciated all the little subtle ways they incorporated the tone/style AA into the Layton parts (and vice-versa)... I especially liked that part where Layton passed the puzzle-solving job onto Phoenix because of how it played more to his strengths.

The story was good for the most part. I thought the magic tome was a clever way of incorporating Layton-style puzzle elements into the courtroom segments. I didn't mind the ending so much because it suited the flavor of both Layton and the AA series pretty well.
>>
is there any lewds of rouge or kira?
>>
>>320116998
id agree it's an enjoyable AA game, but it falls completely short as a PL game
>>
>>320125686
I dunno m8, the ending made me rage and think "I'm fucking tired of your bullshit, Layton", just like the endings of every PL game
>>
>>320125686
>an enjoyable AA game
It only has one good case.
>>
>>320117524
yeah and why was it called PL Versus PW they were on the same side
>>
>>320125597
Maybe.
>>
>>320117524
>What if there was a story where both parties were actually on different sides
It actually started that way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpxEQIe5jdw
>>
>>320126050
The only ending out of the Layton series I could stomach was Unwound Future. All the other endings killed what was a stellar gaming experience for me. Haven't played Azran Legacy though.
>>320127693
Sorry mate, I'm in China, what is the gist of the video?
>>320125316
Nah, but the ending did a terrible job of tying up subplot points and then throwing a weak twist in the plot in an attempt to link up events. >>320123608
This triggers me as well.
>>
>>320121759
Literally objectively wrong.
PLvsAA 3D is universally accepted as shit compared to DD's. DD models and animations aren't GG Xrd tier good, but they're miles above PLvsAA's.
DD had much better story too.
Both games had ridiculous amount of handholding though.
>>
>>320128193
>Sorry mate, I'm in China, what is the gist of the video?

It's an early trailer of the game. Layton and Wright seem more like rivals than friends like in the final game.
>>
File: AJ_Ema_Skye_Smug_2[1].gif (212 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
AJ_Ema_Skye_Smug_2[1].gif
212 KB, 256x192
>>320128650
>personal opinions
>personal opinions
>personal opinions

>universally accepted
>>
>>320129162
Teen Ema >> adult Ema
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.