[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We all rag on pokemon for being a rehash, but how much can it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 8
File: 1439490397931.png (148 KB, 496x686) Image search: [Google]
1439490397931.png
148 KB, 496x686
We all rag on pokemon for being a rehash, but how much can it truly change?
>>
Schwoop
Nipp nipp
>>
thats for the game developers to figure out. yknow, cuz thats their job.
>>
No people rag on pokemon for being to easy and literally handing you legendaries and other good pokemon repeatedly in later gens.
>>
>>320100301
What is May gonna do with that egg?
>>
Semblence of challange
>>
>>320100301
Remove Masuda
>>
>>320100508
Ride with it on a bike.
>>
>>320100301
Theres been a bunch of ways it could have gone honestly. Part of the issue has been that the motivation for every one of the games has been the same formula of go to gym, get badge, rinse repeat, but with a different map and even MORE pokemon.

I kinda feel overall it would have been better if they tried something different with each game, and if they had to add a new cast of pokemon, remove the last batch entirely.
>>
Honestly, I felt lik gen 6 is a good eexample of how they can change stuff up, it had tons of new features.

The problem is just A: it was super casualized and B: They won't carry over thee good new shit to next gen because GF is dumb like that.
>>
>>320100301
Drop the 8 gym garbage.
Make a decent combat system.
Actually make the "gotta catch em all" tagline make sense by making it possible and giving players more tools to achieve it.
Realize that "wow 100 new pokemon" is not innovation.
>>
>>320100301
basically anything about it, I think it's a big reason why a lot of people only played the first few games. On the surface level, basically everything is the same.
>>
>>320100772
This is the most retarded genwunner shit I've ever heard.
>>
>>320101192
My first Pokemon was Emerald and I never played any of the preceding ones later on.
I just think there's a lot of room for improvement.
>>
>>320100301
There's no way to change it without making it stop being Pokemon, I'm fine with the main series staying the same and the spin-offs being different.
>>
>>320100452
>>320100662
>>320100990
Nice discussion idiot.
>>
>>320100691
But then it would become Sticker Star.
>>
>>320100772
>Actually make the "gotta catch em all" tagline make sense by making it possible and giving players more tools to achieve it.

How easier can it be made?
>>
>>320100691
>I kinda feel overall it would have been better if they tried something different with each game, and if they had to add a new cast of pokemon, remove the last batch entirely.
They tried this with black and white to an extent.
Like the core gameplay was still the same but they attempted at a more involved campaign and also made you use nothing but new pokemon until postgame.
They weren't perfect - theres a good deal of handholding and railroading that felt like you were getting dragged through the plot and the region was entirely too linear. But BW2 addressed all of those issues plus added more things to do around the region. I'm a fan of gimmicky battle shit like the movie studio and blakc tower/white hollow.
But the biggest complaint about BW was that people got turned off from not being able to use old mons till postgame and I feel like that's why gen 6 is so heavy on old mons to the point that none of the actual new mons feel relevent or hold any presence in their own region.
>>
File: ss (2015-12-12 at 03.37.47).png (1 MB, 1062x596) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-12-12 at 03.37.47).png
1 MB, 1062x596
>>320100301
A lot, really.

>make breeding a lot less troubleworthy
Nigga, I just want to PLAY. Why should I spend an entire day doing RNG chores just to make one competitive Pokémon?
>think strategies for the Pokémon movesets beforehand
>actual good online interactions
Not MMO bullcrap, the XY PSS was a great addition but it's not "good".
>Touch screen Pokébank for the love of God
>>
>>320101438
>Being a faggot
disregard this faggot and continue to dump
>>
>>320101253
>Drop the 8 gym garbage
Nothing wrong with it.
>Make a decent combat system
As in, make it not turn-based?
>Actually make the "gotta catch em all" tagline make sense by making it possible and giving players more tools to achieve it
It's not hard to do it, and it's easier on every generation.
>Realize that "wow 100 new pokemon" is not innovation
>implying the actual fanbase doesn't like new Pokémon
>implying that's all they add on every generation
>>
>>320100301
As much as they want to change it. The real 'problem' is that it still sells a ton, so they really have no reason to change the winning formula. Like don't fix it if ain't broke. We'll see when the sales start going down enough to start hurting them.
>>
Easy as shit, a fucking depresed as shit dude that went feeling sjw made a much more interesting pokemon game demo than the pokemon franchise ever did.

No, really, fighunter website, pseudolonewolf, beast signer.

Make normal pokeballs infinite by default, make grinding a lesser part of the game, reduce linearity and incorporate real time elements into the game for things like breeding and growing, make it so consumables are afordable and cities reachable if in a pinch before flight, screw the breeding system, add real tech pokemon, no porygon shit, and for fucks sake, make a fucking decent story that does not sound or play like just some cringy as shit kids game.

And just a thing, a single fucking overleveled pokemon should not be all you take to go up to the elite fucking 4 damit.
>>
>>320101492
Yeah I'm not too surprised that people got turned off by it. The big changes like that wouldn't go well received after several games where they just continually built on the previous generation.
>>
I feel like it should turn into something similar to what mario does with side games as well as the main "super mario brothers" Pokemon already has mystery dungeon and maybe pokemon ranger idk i haven't kept up on that, but maybe make games similar to the original pokemon games while keeping things fresh and new. The main series would be the entire "8 gyms 100 new pokemon" deal while the other titles would have something different while still be similar
>>
>>320102076
Grinding isn't part of the game, anyone that fights wild pokemon is an idiot.
>>
File: 1339730785126.jpg (27 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1339730785126.jpg
27 KB, 300x300
>Thinly veiled May thread
>>
File: 42141231.png (54 KB, 962x724) Image search: [Google]
42141231.png
54 KB, 962x724
>>320100301
Take a few pointers from this game
>>
>>320102076
>play like just some cringy as shit kids game.

Pokemon is a kids game anon.
>>
Changes to Pokemon? There is no need, it's perfect.

Oh, perfect for the core audience I mean. You? You're out dated. Pokemon is a kid's game. It was a kid's game when you were a kid and that's why you liked it. It's still a kid's game now but you aren't a kid anymore so you don't like it.

You think there's a problem with the game but you're wrong. The problem is with you. You grew up, you grew out of Pokemon.

For the current generation of kids, Pokemon is better than ever.

There's no need to make it harder or have a more serious story because it's Pokemon doesn't give a shit about you. You're old news, you're the previous generation.

Just give up on Pokemon and admit you've grown out of it.
>>
Stop making the story about the player's character being the chosen one that stops some huge disaster and go back to focusing on the rivalry with a single rival character.
>>
>>320100301
They've already made a jump to 3D, which is a graphical accomplishment seeing how to franchise had been 2D for 20 years. All they need to do now is actually improve upon the graphics.

Next we need less hand-holding. Players shouldn't be given any free items unless if it's during the beginning of the game, or if we completed a task. An example of this is in RBY we had to catch a certain amount of Pokemon until we could get the Exp Share. In XY, they just hand you the thing. Rewards are always better than hand-outs, the feeling of accomplishment can be very strong while playing a game.

Also, make the game less-linear. We should be able to fight any gym in any order. Depending on how many badges you have will determine the set team of Pokemon the Gym leader will use. This allows the players to actually explore the game world, without having the game stop your momentum. One example of this is you HAD to beat Brock in RBY in order to progress through the rest of the game. That's not how it should be. Also, more exploration and hidden rewards.

More focus on Pokemon. Pokemon Amie was great. It was a nice way to actually feel like you were bonding with your Pokemon. Having Pokemon follow you was a nice addition, along with having the PokePark area in Pokemon DPPt.

Tasks/Quest. The gameplay could get pretty stale from just battling and talking to NPC's. Why not give the players tasks to get money to buy furniture for our rooms, or clothes, or food for our Pokemon? Make some tasks have optional awards to choose from.

Make the Elite Four challenging. For the final stretch of the game, some past Elite Fours have been pretty embarrassing considering they are supposed to be the finale of the overall main quest.

More minigames. I personally liked the PokeContests. And I loved collecting ribbons in Diamond. My Eevee had a bunch.

And give more options for multiplayer. After all, that's why they sell two versions of the same game.

Oh and less focus on story.
>>
File: 1437624670978.gif (348 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1437624670978.gif
348 KB, 640x480
>>320100301

I wonder what that egg smells like

haha
>>
A unique STORY with a small cast of unique CHARACTERs that doesn't follow the FORMULA.

Tie in or kill off nearly all the bad guy groups bar 1 or 2

Make legendaries unobtainable outside of some rediculous time oriented lock out system. Maybe even force a system where a group of 5,+ can only obtain 1 legendary amongst them.

Also give us open ended mysteries so we can hypothesize , like ho oh in gen 1 and pikablu.

Also destroy all mega stones and give rhydon magmar and ekectabuzz seperate line evolutions.

connect people better.. let them chat.. and feel comfy with each other with some sweet as hang out joints

When they release an mmorpg people should be able to buy and customize their own homes, stores and gyms and there should be an elaborate system that allows people to join gyms as subordinates and fight each other for ranking in the gyms ladder
>>
>>320102273
But can I fuck it?
>>
Make the battles play like an action RPG.
>>
>>320104352
Turn-based suck, it makes battles excruciatingly slow and random battles near painful
Back then there were a lot of games that were turn-based, that is because the hardware couldn't handle all the action. There should be no reason now not to switch to action-based.
>>
>>320104561
>>320104352
>There should be no reason now not to switch to action-based.

Other than that action RPGs don't have over 700 playable characters of a huge variety of shapes/sizes like Pokemon that's not to mention the different forms and mega evolutions.

Do you guys even realize how ludicrous some of these suggestions are?
>>
>>320104180
Any mystery would be ruined by data miners.
>>
>>320104180
The eon ticket system worked really well I thought. They should re use that.
>>
Talking about the pokemon games is fine but if you want to dump pokegirls that belongs on vp
>>
>>320105970
>find a flaw

She spawns annoying Pokegirlfags and RPers who can't stay on /vp/.
There I found a flaw.

Anyway, it'll probably be the same game for a long time, because otherwise trading wouldn't work well anymore if the battle and stat and moveset system was different.
>>
Habbo hotel pokemon edition online mode

Make legendaries 10x more scarce and entirely untradeable

Smash all those damned mega stones

Fuck the story, give us an asshole rival
>>
You can go freely to everywhere and challenge the gyms in any order you want. If you want to go to the lvl 40 gym first and get your ass handed to you, that's okay. Even more bonding with your mons so that they really feel like your friends rather than just a team you use. Less previous gens' mons around. Less megas. Seriously i wish megas had never even happened. I want more new mons not new forms that aren't even evos, to old ones. More story and more challenging rival(s). More secrets to discover and fun sidequests. I'm pretty okay with turn based combat, but sometimes I think about a pokemon game with a combat like pokken.
>>
>>320105358
Ni No Kuni did it well enough. So did Digimon World 2 decades ago.

Even the Pokemon Rumble games lie the basic groundwork.
>>
JUST
MAKE
A
POKEMON
MMORPG
AND YOU CAN BATTLE LIKE THEY DO IN THE ANIME

THAT'S LITERALLY ALL YOU HAVE TO DO
>>
>>320102273
I came here to actually post this. It's scary how much I felt, while playing this, that Game Freak should play this.
>>
>>320100301
If they actually kept the features they add into future games instead of dropping them, that'd do a world of fucking difference.

>trainer customization added
>dropped
>battle frontier added
>dropped, added back, dropped again
>PWT
>dropped
>following pokemon (this one is a bit unfeasible, but still)
>dropped
>pokemon contests
>added, improved upon, dropped until ORAS where it was piss easy and half-assed
>pokeathalon
>dropped
>ball capsules
>dropped
>not gamefreak's work, but Battle CDs
>not really dropped but would be neat if they had them anyway
>even something as fucking basic and a non-brainer like trainer and gym leader rematches
>dropped

Hell, I'm sure they're going to drop DexNav and the Lati@s flying in the next game, too.
>>
>>320106895
>Lati@s flying
Let's be honest, it was cool but it was nothing game changing.
>>
>>320102076
>needing consumables
how bad are you?
no really just how fucking bad are you at pokemon?
>>
>Bigger world to actually EXPLORE
The towns and roads are fucking small. I want the feeling of exploration.

>Good day / night cycle
Have buildings locked up, no one on the streets during night. Make the world feel more alive.

>Focus more on strategy than levels
Have areas auto jump to the same level as you - gym leaders too - so you have to use some fucking strategy in an RPG to win
>>
File: 1418161033665.png (561 KB, 880x924) Image search: [Google]
1418161033665.png
561 KB, 880x924
It can't and won't change from it's established formula

It's a pretty good formula and they usually change enough in each game to make it worth trying

Newer ones are starting to get on my bad side ORAS in particular.I dislike mega-evos (in a story way) and the anime story line they tend to have. I hope they change gears.
>>
>>320101586
Baby mode breeding don't be a bitch play the damn game.
>>
>>320107024
>day/night cycle exists
>no wild Pokemon show up only during certain hours
>>
>>320102535
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LLJT9yzPao
>>
Make it an ARPG
Let the player change moves freely when outside a battle
Make it non linear
Give a good reason to do stuff (like completing the Pokédex)
>>
File: pomf.png (707 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
pomf.png
707 KB, 1024x1024
May is cute

CUTE
>>
why do people want to change the turn based system?
pokemon actually is one of the best turn based multiplayer games around, improving upon an existing well made system seems a lot more logical than trying to make it something completely new which will more likely than not fail, especially given that the games are intended to be played on mobile devices
>>
>>320101586
The only way they could make breeding any easier at this point is just handing you a 6 IV foreign Ditto and telling you to go wild. It's infinitely better now than it was even just a gen ago.
>>
>>320107561
We just want it to be like it is in the anime.
>>
>>320107725
the anime is like, really really fucking bad
>>
You know what we need? Organised team battles. It always annoys me that I can't control one mon to go before/after another mon in double/triple battles. If there was more control then people could stratagise more.
>>
>>320107863
Not because of the battling though.
>>
Keep the current battle system but tone down the power creep. Basically stop releasing shit like Mega Rayquaza.

Make IV breeding much, much easier or remove it entirely. It should be AT LEAST 10 times faster than it is now.

Make the single-player harder or at least make a higher difficulty available.

Make sure there's a post-game, with content that goes all the way up to level 100.

There, it's perfect.
>>
>>320108183
I wish they'd try making more megas that tried to give good Pokemon alternate uses like Mega Garchomp giving up speed for more power and bulk instead of making them straight upgrades. Straight upgrades are only okay on shitmons and even then they manage to fuck up by giving them awful abilities sometimes.
>>
>>320102076
the only RTEs should be in minigames and shit
they can make berry growing a minigame but if i have to start paying attention while breeding then i will be upset
>>
remove revives
>>
>>320102273
What game is this anyways?
>>
>>320108183
>Keep the current battle system but tone down the power creep. Basically stop releasing shit like Mega Rayquaza.
Are you aware the power creep existed since day 1?

>Make IV breeding much, much easier or remove it entirely. It should be AT LEAST 10 times faster than it is now.
Sure.

>Make the single-player harder or at least make a higher difficulty available.
Pointless. You can do two things: bump up levels makes for a shittier experience overall and it's not how you balance a game. Or you can give enemy Pokemon good moves, items, etc. That's how you balance Pokemon difficulty. While this would be awesome, it does nothing if you grind or trade a Pokemon to your game.

>Make sure there's a post-game, with content that goes all the way up to level 100.
To what purpose? You can just have a stronger Pokemon than the CPU, and the level 100 wouldn't have meant anything. Postgame facilities work perfectly because:
1)levels are balanced
2)teams and options are limited
3)no usable items outside the ones the Pokemon themselves hold
4)if you fail, you have to restart from the beginning of the challenge instead of like the previous save

As long as Pokemon doesn't follow the online/Stadium/Battle Revolution way of battling, which has no leveling, no items and no trading, it will NEVER be difficult.
>>
>>320107908
>Not because of the battling though.
AIM FOR THE HORN PIKACHU!
>>
>>320109998
>implying a battle system where you have to aim your attacks to the enemy's weak spots wouldn't be the shit
>>
>>320100301
Redo the whole battle system, rebalance all the monsters and tone down the power creep.

>>320109557
>To what purpose?
Leveling up, duh. Speaking of which, it'd help a ton if you got experience from multiplayer battles.
>>
>>320110121
that already exists, it's called any FPS ever
>>
>make game open world
>make the player start in a random city and progress from there
>automatically level up wild pokémon and trainers based on where the player has been
>remove random encounters
>make battles action based
>let the player choose which moves to give to each pokémon
>>
>>320100301
At least change up the story a fucking little bit. It's always some kid going out, collecting badges, fighting whatever gang(s) is in his region, collecting some legendary Pokeshits along the way and defeating the Elite 4.
>>
>>320108386
Straight upgrades on shitmon are also terrible, considering they most likely won't be as good as the megas given to Pokemon who weren't hot garbage initially and you can only use one mega per team. I'd much rather they give evolutions to old Pokemon than megas, because then they could possibly have some relevance on their own rather than being thrown aside and forgotten about because they're worse than Mega Blaziken, Lucario, Mewtwo, Rayquaza, etc.
>>
>>320110349
A pokemon fps or action game sounds fun though
>>
>>320110349
First
>implying you have to aim for weak spots that aren't the head in FPS
second
>implying only FPS have you choosing where to attack
>>
A Pokemon game where you can marry your waifu is my dream
>>
>>320110516
Alright then, Monster Hunter is exactly what you're asking for. Now keep your retarded fucking idea away from Pokemon.
>>
>>320110538
This.
Unluss your waifu is a Pokémon, in which case YIFF IN HELL FURFAG
>>
>>320110516
First
>implying you have to attack weak spots in pokemon either
>second
>implying anyone would have understood if I'd said nthPS
>>
>>320102273
Any key changes you can list?
>>
>>320107024
>Have areas auto jump to the same level as you - gym leaders too - so you have to use some fucking strategy in an RPG to win
Would work well if they let you explore the world and take on what you want, when you want instead of having a linear path through the gyms.
>>
>>320110508
what would make it any more fun than already existing action games?
>>
>>320110709
pokemon
>>
>>320110623
First
>you can't but it would be better and more fun if you could
Second
>implying only shooters let you choose where to attack
>>
Real time fighting game. 3rd person over-the-shoulder. You have 4 moves for every pokemon, and same moves are slightly altered (range, damage, aoe size, etc.) between pokemon. You could have 1v1 online matches, or team battles. Hell, you could make it an RPG and have world bosses and shit. Make it sort of like Monster Hunter, with lots of rolling and dodging.
>>
>>320110729
you can target pokemon weakness though
>>
They should take the rpg element out completely, turn based attacks or whatever you might call it are outdated when we can have first person action. I think we should have it were you can challenge pokemon in battles but then you can fly around yourself and control the pokemon first person style.
>>
File: 1441002313011.jpg (370 KB, 1362x942) Image search: [Google]
1441002313011.jpg
370 KB, 1362x942
I just want to be May.
>>
>>320110776
>Make it sort of like Monster Hunter, with lots of rolling and dodging.
Fastest Pokemon wins 100% of the time.
Amazing game.
>>
For one thing they could move for actual goddamn worlds that aren't just the same routes and towns we've seen for two decades. Even if Coliseum and Gale of Darkness aren't exactly perfect, I wouldn't mind if Game Freak went the genuine world design route. Everything in the main games just feels too.. clean and symmetrical, even with the move to greater detail in X/Y and OR/AS.
>>
>>320110894
She's a fine girl to be.
>>
>>320100301
The closes Pokemon has gotten to being new and amazing again was Pokemon Black and White

They just completely dropped old pokemon in favor of new ones, and it really pays off. You get really attached to the new Mons and they gave them really good designs (for the most part)
Plus there's 150 of them! Doesn't feel like a lazy rehash like X&Y with only 69 new mons if you don't count megas, and even if you do that's not much better.

5 gen had the advantage of getting rid of so many archaic design choices from previous games. Your mon's HP doesn't drop from poison when you walk around in the overworld, TMs are reusable and actually make you experiment more often, they got rid of most HMs and basically just requiring you to have Surf and Strength which are good moves to begin with and lots of other little touches

There will never be another game like Black and White. They changed just enough to make it fresh, but the game was still challenging enough and fun.
Not like fucking X&Y where you're 20 levels over the fucking elite four. God X&Y where so bad on so many levels.
>>
Not use chibi models. Have Animal Crossing gameplay elements that can bring other players to your world. Battle or explore with them, etc.

I'd really like to see another core game made by a different team like Colosseum.
>>
>>320100301
>How much can it truly change
add a nuzlocke mode instead of having it be self imposed.

When moving to a new region for a new game change up the formula, instead if knowing everything about pokemon why don't you play the professor, your exploring and finding the pokemon, its your goal to learn everything you can.

Pokemon has also proven to be really good for spin-offs, mystery dungeon is successful and its basically a dungeon crawler, pokemon snap was a fucking "on rail shooter" where you take pictures of pokemon. there was also a final fantasy lite game as well if I remember on the ds(?) With the pokemon tekken game coming out as well only further proves this point,

Pokemon can evolve to become something more then just capturing monsters and making them battle, I'd love city builder revolving around pokemon or a civ game. I'd also love more games with just pokemon, humans at this point feel thrown in just because they need something that can speak instead of "saying its name"
>>
>>320111071
If anything 3D made the cleanliness worse because the whole world looks like it's still set on a grid.
>>
Remove IVs
The average Pokemon player doesn't care that their Pikachu has slightly higher attack than their friends, and they serve as a needless timesink for people who want to try competitive battling, in fact they push more people AWAY from the multiplayer and reinforce cheating.
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.