[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Resident Evil 6 is a fantastic game. >B-But it's to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49
File: RE6_The_Phantom_Pain.jpg (241 KB, 1440x673) Image search: [Google]
RE6_The_Phantom_Pain.jpg
241 KB, 1440x673
Resident Evil 6 is a fantastic game.

>B-But it's too confusing! How do I dodge? How do I slide? How do I manage my pills? How do I do gun kata? How does the melee combat work? How do I counter attacks? This game should have featured four hours of unskippable tutorials!

It's not Capcom's fault you're too retarded to read the provided manual that explains every single game mechanic in detail. http://game.capcom.com/manual/bio6/en-UK/

>But the QTEs!

Auto Action Button is available on all difficulties. It means you can't fail cutscene and/or instadeath QTEs no matter what you press. No matter how retarded you play, Leon won't get hit by trains anymore.

>It's not horror anymore!

The series hasn't been horror ever since RE4. It is exceptionally difficult to make a horror game with non-shit controls. Look at how The Evil Within turned out. It ended up borrowing ideas wholesale from RE6 just to product a workable game. RE6 empowers the player with fluid, responsive controls.

>The game's too bloated!

Indeed it is. But at least it's not 3 hours long like RE5.
>>
Who are you quoting?
>>
>I support the bastardization of a franchise because I am a cod audience this game caters to
Atleast Revelations 2 is the closest we'll ever get to a real RE
>>
>>320093319 these are exactly my opinions on this game
>>
>>320093468
>not having an argument with yourself
lol loser
>>
File: 1406929086956.gif (2 MB, 336x280) Image search: [Google]
1406929086956.gif
2 MB, 336x280
>>320093319
>But at least it's not 3 hours long like RE5.
Yeah..It's 20-30 something instead.
>>
>>320093468
>Who are you quoting?
Every whiny bitch who hated RE6 because they refused to git gud.

>>320093584
>>I support the bastardization of a franchise because I am a cod audience this game caters to
You do realise the Resident Evil series has been chasing the so-called "Call of Duty" audience ever since RE4: Leon and the 3 Minute Uninterrupted QTE Boss Battle - Backflipping Through Lasers Edition?

RE: Revelations 2 is RE6 with heavily toned down controls and maybe 1/6 of the content. I love Revelations 2. It's my personal GOTY, but RE6 has vastly superior controls and the actual presentation is far superior.
>>
>>320093319
that's fine, m8, you like cinematic linear 3rd person shooters, congratz, you belong to the average gaming audience. I'm not saying this as an insult.
But you can't expect people who actually liked Resident evil before it became a cinematic tps to be happy that the kind of games they like aren't being made anymore.
>>
>>320093981
>You do realise the Resident Evil series has been chasing the so-called "Call of Duty" audience ever since RE4:
does that make it okay? No.
Just because shit has been thrown at us for 10 years doesn't mean we have to like it.
>>
>>320093319
>Look at how The Evil Within turned out. It ended up borrowing ideas wholesale from RE6 just to product a workable game.
Remember the insane fanbois who insist that Shinji Mikami would be outraged with the direction the series has taken.

They ignore the following.

>RE was supposed to be a coop/partner AI series from the very first game. Crappy PS1 hardware limitations got in the way. It wasn't until RE0 that this ambition was finally realised.
>RE4 is a pure action game that primarily feels "scary" because your character can't walk sideways like a normal human being.
>When Shinji Mikami returned to "save survival horror" he produced his dream RE4 sequel.

That looks like RE6 graphically, but with better textures.
That plays like RE6 with less mobility.
That features RE6-style bosses.
That features RE6-style running sections.
That features RE6-style free movement and also features a dodge function, completely obliterating any resemblance to their beloved RE4.
That features a number of set pieces that suspiciously resemble RE6, from vehicles dramatically crashing off cliffs in slow motion to running down hallways as nightmarish arms reach for you.
>>
>>320093319
I don't think anyone played RE6 and thought the controls were too complicated
>>
>>320094318
>But you can't expect people who actually liked Resident evil before it became a cinematic tps to be happy that the kind of games they like aren't being made anymore.
These same people tend to pretend RE4 isn't a cinematic TPS. I have great respect for classic Resident Evil games, but the truth is that Capcom ran that formula into the ground until everyone was sick of it.
>>
>>320093319

Yeah, I liked it. Controls felt worse than 5, though.
>>
>>320094535
>I don't think anyone played RE6 and thought the controls were too complicated
A lot of people complained that the game didn't teach them mechanics. There are a shitload of people who don't know basic stuff like how the melee system works. Capcom included a link to the online manual in the game box, but apparently a lot of people didn't bother to read it.
>>
>>320094574
>These same people tend to pretend RE4 isn't a cinematic TPS.
you're wrong, partially.
RE4 is, indeed, an action TPS, but it's not a cinematic one. It has quick time events and long cutscenes, but it doesn't have the linearity, and constant action setpieces (you know, the type of "building is on fire/collapsing/submarine is sinking" stuff. Not talking about arenas, those are different).

Still this is just semantics. You say that the "same people" say that RE4 was good, but I see a lot of RE fans that openly say that re4 was the beginning of the end.
>>
>>320094681
>Yeah, I liked it. Controls felt worse than 5, though.
Howso? RE5 has awkward tank-style controls and you can't run towards the camera. Your camera is always positioned behind the character. RE6's and aiming system is extremely similar to that used by heaps of other games. Assassin's Creeed, Metal Gear Solid 5, and even Fallout 4, of all games. (Holster weapon, your character moves freely. Raise gun, they face camera direction.)
>>
>>320094858
>ONLINE manuals
fuck capcom. If they wanted people to read the manual, at least include it in the box.
Do you really expect someone playing it on console to go, turn on their pc so they can look up the manual online?
>>
File: 0015-1422163700701.jpg (24 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
0015-1422163700701.jpg
24 KB, 240x160
Simply put, people are losing their ability to adapt.

The old players who can't adapt to the new and the newer players who can't adapt to the old.

I on the other hand am a god in the digital world.
You can not face a greater threat than me.
>>
>>320094858
>Capcom included a link to the online manual in the game box, but apparently a lot of people didn't bother to read it.
That's some playonline tier mess.
>>
>>320094965
>It has quick time events and long cutscenes, but it doesn't have the linearity
RE4 is insanely linear. It just masks it with equally insane amounts of backtracking to use this key you found on that locked door back there which leads to yet another completely linear path. RE2 was very similar. The maps are superficially open, but in fact feature only a single narrow path you must follow.
>>
>Resident Evil 6 is a fantastic game.

It is, it's just not a very good Resident Evil. Dat grown up Sherry though.
>>
People who think RE4 is better than RE5 are so fucking blinded by nostagia it's out of this world

RE4 was great, and RE5 is literaly that game with

>better inventory and controls
>sweet ass co-op
>even more over the top action

PEOPLE ACTUALLY BELIEVE RE4 WAS A FUCKING HORROR GAME AND NOT AN ACTION SHOOTER
PEOPLE WHO PLAYED IT
Oh well
RE5 was great, RE6 is that but turned up to such an absurd fucking level it's mental

RE6 is an insane ride of game mechanics, nonsense over the top story, co-op and so on

It's all that re4 wanted to be
>>
>>320095201
>losing their ability to adapt
Maybe it's from playing too many homogenized FPS/TPS games in the last generation, something that classic RE fans knew to be a problem before it really began.
>>
>Sheva not back to team up with Chris
Really my only complaint.
>>
File: ada wrong.jpg (729 KB, 890x668) Image search: [Google]
ada wrong.jpg
729 KB, 890x668
>>
>>320095128
>>ONLINE manuals
>fuck capcom. If they wanted people to read the manual, at least include it in the box.
>Do you really expect someone playing it on console to go, turn on their pc so they can look up the manual online?

I do agree, anon. Capcom expected too much of their audience. They should have included the online manual inside the mobile phone menu thing while ingame. They could also have knocked together a 15-minute training course to teach the basic mechanics like cover and dodging and countering enemy attacks -- you know, like how Metal Gear Rising does. I think one reason why the PC version of RE6 has 80% positive reviews is because PC gamers are far more likely to google "RE6 manual" and find the page. Plus I think it was posted on the RE6 Steam news feed.
>>
>>320095514
This
Sheva is such a hottie, but has personality
That voice too
Those alternate outfits also
>>
>>320095267
>backtracking
having the ability to backtrack makes it non-linear.
I'm not talking about fucking getting multiple endings or having multiple, different paths. I'm talking bout the constant locking, destroying, barring, or dropping you in a way that makes it so you can only move forward.

That's the "linearity" I'm talking about.. You can't ever move back, you only go forward. Like, you can go back, search for items, look for things you missed, and so on.

Maybe I'm using the wrong word, but surely you get what I mean, right?
>>
File: 13.jpg (160 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
160 KB, 640x480
>Its a contrarian retard thread
>>
>>320093319
>excuse for the game not being a horror game like it should have been is that it controls really well

Seriously, nigger? This bait is the worst. There are plenty of great horror games with awesome controls. Talking like they're mutually exclusive is retarded.
>>
File: 1334163632.jpg (8 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1334163632.jpg
8 KB, 250x250
>>320093319
I haven't played any Resident Evil game sine Code Veronica. Redpill me on the franchise since then please, /v/irgins.
>>
>>320095669
Well maybe that's done so you can't just, you know
Skip the combat, run past the enemies to make the game a cake walk?

Also, backtracking is shit
Fuck it
>>
>>320095421
RE5 and RE6 both try to solve the fast-paced inventory dilemma in different ways. RE5's system is easier to parse. RE6's is much faster once you master it, but it is pretty confusing at first glance.

RE5 and RE6 try to solve coop item distribution in different ways. RE6 goes whole hog in online coop and drops players totally different items the other player doesn't actually see. They see pistol bullets, you see green herbs, that sorta thing. The system is so subtle, most players don't notice the game is feeding them what it thinks they need. In local coop, that doesn't work, so item swapping is supported in local coop.
>>
RE6 is a great Coop game to play with your bro.
Go in with the mindset of having fun, and you will.
No where near the best RE game, but its also not near the worse.
>>
>>320095421
>>even more over the top action
So it's RE4, but even more of the bad parts of RE4?
And cut up in pieces with short-ass chapters with even more linear maps so dumb co-op people don't get lost?
And with tons of shitty co-op gimmicks that exist solely to justify forcing you to wait for your shitty co-op partner?
>>
Reminder that RE6's brightness tutorial is totally fucked. Ignore it and set brightness to 25-30 depending on taste. Follow the guide literally, and you'll end up with pitch dark levels because there is NO WAY TO MAKE THE FUCKING SYMBOL BARELY VISIBLE. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!?
>>
File: 1315295067810.jpg (19 KB, 334x393) Image search: [Google]
1315295067810.jpg
19 KB, 334x393
>>320095772
>redpill me on x
>>
>>320095829
>Go in with the mindset of having fun, and you will.
Had absolutely no fun with Coop in RE6.
Went back to RE5 directly.

RE6 plays like shit.
>>
File: 1448438748607.png (355 KB, 661x721) Image search: [Google]
1448438748607.png
355 KB, 661x721
>>320095968
Sorry, spent too much time lurking /pol/ recently.
>>
>>320093319
>But at least it's not 3 hours long like RE5.

When has this ever been a bad thing? Mirrors Edge is 30 seconds long and it's an amazing game.
>>
>>320095669
I do get what you mean, anon. But non-linear design can also refer to actually non-linear map design. Like open world games. Like Dying Light, that FPS game that is basically Eastern European Resident Evil.

Backtracking presents huge problems with coop. I dislike the coop doors in RE6. They should have been reworked for singleplayer mode. But they serve a valuable purpose of keeping the characters in the same general vicinity.
>>
>>320095790
>Skip the combat, run past the enemies to make the game a cake walk?

I don't see why that requires the player to not be able to ever go back, even a little.

>Also, backtracking is shit
Forced backtracking is annoying, but so is the game locking the path behind you with ever more contrived reasons. (My favorite: You jump down a shoulder high pit. Can never climb back.)
>>
>>320095809
Each game after RE4 improves in some ways, to suit the games faster pace yes.
Like the inventory system and it's chance with each game

What I really disliked tho, was the revelation games
They just feel, and are I guess a step back
Revelations 2 especialy, with it's re-used areas and boring as fuck setting

People like those 2 MORE than RE5 and 6 for example, altho they're more stripped down games
I feel that even old ass RE4 was better than both Revelation games

Nostalgia fags ruin everything
>>
>>320093319
just let it go, the game is bad.
>>
>>320095756
>There are plenty of great horror games with awesome controls. Talking like they're mutually exclusive is retarded.
They are often a contradiction. Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and pretty much every classic horror game from that era suffered from poor movement or poorly designed combat. Remember the complaints that FEAR wasn't scary because you had slow motion powers and high powered weaponry? That's the dilemma horror game developers face. Shit controls are awful. But fans of classic horror games WANT shit controls. Silent Hill 2 defense force will defend that game's abysmal, awkward handling until the cows come home.
>>
>>320096143
Why would you want to go back when the game isn't about that?
What kind of complaint is this? Why does this matter?
>>
>>320096080
I guess it was just me and my friend then. We both loved the goofiness of the dialog and story, the gameplay was fun, and the instakill scenes were hilarious. The only real problem we hard with RE6 was Leon's campaign going full retard at the end.
>>
>>320095809
>RE5 and RE6 both try to solve the fast-paced inventory dilemma in different ways.
What dilemma? Just pause the game when you open the inventory.
Shit, why is inventory even limited on a fucking cinematic action game. Aren't you supposed to be on a NON STOP ROLLERCOASTER OF ACTION AND EXPLOSIONS YEAH ?

Why even have an iventory
>infinite healing items make game easy
make it so you can only carry 3 of each herb. Problem solved
>carrying lots of different guns and ammo make game easy
add more enemies, make ammo pickups more rare. Problem solved, and game is now more fun because you get to play with a lot of different weapons.
>>
>>320096080
>RE6 plays like shit.
That's because you were playing it wrong. Read the manual. Carefully. Turn on auto action buttons to fix the QTEs. Also, git good by practicing with an AI partner. Playing with a human partner is no fun if they suck at the game.
>>
>>320093319
I liked RE6 so much that I beat it twice. Once solo and once co-op with a friend.
>>
>>320096442
>Just pause the game
They're co-op games
>>
>>320096157
C'mon, anon. Revelations 1 had some really fun characters and writing. Revelations 2 was a fun game. It was a good compromise between RE6 action and RE4 atmosphere. Playing as Barry was awesome. Just look past the tell-tale signs of low budget here and there.
>>
>>320096124
Just make it so the player two can't get far away enough of player 1. Make him teleport to the other if he strays too far. No need for dumb coop doors.

Fucking halo is coop and it doesn't feel the need to add coop doors. And those games are old as shit.
>>
>>320095201
>>320095452
Yup. You see the same thing with new MGS fans.

They're so enamored with TPP because it has the same exact control scheme of every other game released this gen, and that somehow excuses the shitty core gameplay
>>
>>320096496
I'd rather not play a garbage game instead.
>>
Its a bad game because it's simple and basic. Its such a far cry from all the things that made the series great. Plus the platinum is bullshit grinding
>>
>>320096328
It matters because I was explaining the difference between an action tps and a cinematic action tps. I'm not complaining m8.
Just saying: RE4 shifts from survival horror into 3rd person action game
RE5 shifts further into full on cinematic action.
RE6 is the same but tries to add some puzzles, but still keeps all the setpieces and map design.

Do note I'm not saying any of this is bad, so no need to get mad.
>>
>>320093319
Fully agree. Resident Evil 6 has become my favorite to date. The action is great, the endings are god-tier and the boss fights are amazing. I was pleased with the game.
>>
>>320096628
Hm well I didn't say I didn't like them
I liked Revelations 2 that I actually replayed it, but man the pace and re-use of areas SUCKS

Worst part about it
Barry is a really nice character I agree
Who that loli that he follows him around is, or where she came from, I don't know
But she was fine too

I only played episode 1 of revaltions 2, are the rest good?
Might pick them up, considering I had fun

About revelations 1, PC controls were broken for me
I could not fucking enjoy it for more than a few hours
>>
>>320096442
>What dilemma? Just pause the game when you open the inventory.
This would require a totally different inventory for SP and MP. Also, it's kinda amusing how RE4 is supposed to be scary when you can sit fiddling with your grenades and ammo while the scary monster waits patiently for you to finish.

>Shit, why is inventory even limited on a fucking cinematic action game. Aren't you supposed to be on a NON STOP ROLLERCOASTER OF ACTION AND EXPLOSIONS YEAH ?
It forces the player to think outside the box. RE6 doesn't want to be a mindless shooting game. It wants the player to dodge and evade and run away and use melee combat.

Revelations 2 actually had a pretty decent inventory system.
>>
>>320096618
in that case, as I said in my post, why even have inventory management
>>
RE4s inventory was pretty much perfect
>>
>>320093319
Did anyone at any point ever complain about RE6s controls?
It was all pretty simple.

QTEs in any setting are god awful, but at least the QTEs in RE6 PC were not F+V
What fucking kind of QTE is F+V?

RE4 was the last good Resident Evil game. RE5 and 6 are good games, but are not RE.

The worst thing about RE5 and 6 is no decapitaions.
Thanks Capcom!
>>
>>320096859
Those terms are losse as hell tho
I mean, what do you mean by action tps and by cinematic action tps?
What do you mean by "cinematic"?

Do you mean how RE6 has action all over the place constantly?
Unlike in RE4 where things are calm until you get attacked?
Is that it?
>>
>>320096902
>RE6 doesn't want to be a mindless shooting game. It wants the player to dodge and evade and run away and use melee combat.
so
>make ammo pickups more rare.
>>
>>320096848
>Its a bad game because it's simple and basic.
How is it simple and basic? The gameplay depth is insane. Every character handles differently. The enemy mutation is obscene. On higher difficulties, you can shoot an enemy until it cocoons, it hatches, you attack this new enemy until it cocoons, and then mutates into an even WORSE enemy.
>>
>>320093319
Ja'vo sucks that's the main problem, they made the game a tps. Leon campaign is better just for the sake of not having retarded Chinese style bug terrorists.
>>
You're right, the game is fantastic, but only on a mechanical level. However, the game being too bloated seems like a small complaint, but when it is as bad as it is in RE6, that's a huge problem.

I am 100% serious when I say that the progression and pacing in RE6 is so completely fucked that it makes the campaigns a fucking chore to play through. It hurts even more when you remember how good RE4 was in that as aspect. It had such a good flow that its climax was you racing out of an exploding island on a jetski without it even feeling forced.

RE6 4 fucking campaigns are the complete opposite, it never earns its climaxes. 4 short games with the same basic gameplay that both start and end individually. By the time you play through them all you feel completely burnt out. I pick up RE6 now and then, play some mercs, and think "wow this is really good maybe I should play the campaigns." and then I quickly remember why I shouldn't.
>>
>>320097069
>It's not a bad game, it's just not a good X game
Nonsense, considering how similar re 4 is to both 5 and 6
>>
>>320097019
>RE4s inventory was pretty much perfect
It was fundamentally broken for a coop game.
>>
>>320097107
>cinematic
Well, the terms are vague, since they're not fucking official terms in the dictionary, but you can certainly feel a difference between RE4 and games like it and RE5 and 6 and games like it.

>Do you mean how RE6 has action all over the place constantly?
>Unlike in RE4 where things are calm until you get attacked?
>Is that it?

more or less. In RE4 you can, more or less, explore freely in your linear path. Most of the time you can walk back. There are no "action setpieces" of sinking ships, exploding buildings and so on, and usually, the game doesn't hit you in the face with a point of no return.
>>
The core gameplay mechanics in RE6 are great, but the campaign/level design is fucking garbage and ruins what could have been a godly action game
>>
>>320097327
just remove co-op
>>
>>320097293
RE4 was slow, tense and difficult to control.
RE5 and 6 are co-op shooters where you never run out of ammo.
>>
>>320097246
>Ja'vo sucks that's the main problem, they made the game a tps.
They gave the game incredible combat depth.
>>
>>320093319
RE6 is trash only mercs is good
>>
>>320097327
>for a coop game.
why does every RE game needs to be coop now?
>>
>>320097358
Nigga don't try to tell me that the statue is not an action setpiece. I'll give you a pass on the knife fight and even the lasers, but come on. The statue.
>>
File: RE COOP 001.jpg (161 KB, 1054x347) Image search: [Google]
RE COOP 001.jpg
161 KB, 1054x347
>>320097396
>just remove co-op
The entire Resident Evil series has been oriented around coop. Why do you think the early games had multiple playable characters? Leftovers from coop game design the PS1 was too weak to handle.
>>
File: 1413473029196.png (432 KB, 496x562) Image search: [Google]
1413473029196.png
432 KB, 496x562
>>320097402
>running out of ammo in RE4
>>
I don't much like RE6 because when I did try it I felt it veered too far into boneheaded action territory. I don't need shit like rolling, quick shots, and fucking gun kata in Resident Evil Capcom has DMC for this shit, let RE retain what little of its original identity it still had. And another thing,

>RE6 empowers the player with fluid, responsive controls.

Fuck that noise, I don't play RE to feel empowered.
>>
>>320097402
I agree that RE4 is fundamentally different then RE5 but don't kid yourself, you never run out of ammo in re4 either.

>>320097483
Knife fight and lasers are just QTE scenes. I honestly don't remember the statue though, but if it includes everything collapsing around you while you run forward, yeah, that's a "cinematic" action setpiece.
>>
>>320097402
>RE5 and 6 are co-op shooters where you never run out of ammo.
It is very, very easy to run out of ammo. Just try playing Ada Wong's campaign. Granted, the game is designed to give you items it thinks you need. So if you're low on ammo, it will find ways to give you ammo. But the melee system is so robust, having no ammo isn't a fatal problem.
>>
>>320097536
You may have had a level 3 handgun with 52 bullets remaining, but that guy just cut your head off with a fucking chainsaw.
>>
>>320093584

My top 3 favorite RE games are REmake, 5 and 3.

Get mad faggot.
6 was plenty fun in coop, though the sliding/drop to ground is a retarded tactic against zombies.
Revelations 2 was total shit except for the awesome Raid mode.
>>
File: 1405439012440.jpg (21 KB, 291x308) Image search: [Google]
1405439012440.jpg
21 KB, 291x308
>>320097734
>chainsaw mans dont exist in RE5
>>
>>320097358
The game does have constant action yes
But I like that
Not every sequel has to be the game, and having such an action focused game is nice
But yes, I think RE4 has better atmosphere due to it's "down time" let's call it
When you clear an area than explore it

>>320097460
>>320097396
Come on now
RE4 is many peoples favorite game of all time
Being able to play that game but with a friend is a god send
And you can play them solo anyways
>>
>>320097405
I also hated the puzzle style virus that mutates the host through clean orthogonal cuts (the final boss of Leon campaign). Re is full of retarded stuff but at least parasites and viral mutations looks made from organic material (even Ja'vos). that thing is plain stupid.
>>
File: 1431567829459.jpg (201 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1431567829459.jpg
201 KB, 1024x1024
>>320097784
We got hammer/axe man instead.
>>
>>320097460

Coop with a friend makes up for the shit gameplay.
>>
Who is excited for a possible RE6 remaster? The game is good looking, but has really inconsistent texture quality and low resolution post-processing effects. RE6 has been re-rated in Korea and Australia, so SOMETHING is coming. Also, I'm hoping any such remaster has proper tutorials and also irons out some gameplay niggles like not being able to change ammo types while taking cover.

Also, remove non-gameplay QTEs completely. Hitting a button to escape a grab? Totally fine. Hitting multiple buttons to dodge trains? Not fine. Anything Auto Action Button bypasses should be purged completely.
>>
>>320097795

>Being able to play that game but with a friend is a god send

No. Co-op is the cancer that ruined RE. I wish RE would go back to being semi-isolated affairs.
>>
Why do some people hate the vehicle sections? I played on PC, and they were a fun little change of pace. The graphics could have been better when driving, but flying the jets was badass.
>>
>>320098025
>Co-op is the cancer that ruined RE
Bullshit
If any game "ruined" RE, it was RE4
>>
>>320097930
A "remaster" would have to pretty much completely redo the campaigns to not be shit. Like you said, all that QTE trash needs to go out the window

What the fuck is the point of a remaster anyway? That better not be true
>>
>>320098090
delusion 101
>>
>>320097930

No.
Give me new Jill+Chris game while also having rev2's Raid mode.
>>
>>320097930
I agree with everything you've said. QTEs make sense in a certain context (knife fight was great the first time) but dodging trains (and lasers) is too much. Although the laser scene probably wouldn't work well if it had no interactivity.
>>
>>320097536
>Every enemy you kill explodes in a shower of ammunition and herbs.
RE4 was shit.

Also there is a magical vendor that follows you around and sells you rocket launchers and chainguns.
>>
>>320098025
>No. Co-op is the cancer that ruined RE.
Coop was the reason the series was created. Mikami was trying to make the series coop from day fucking one. Ashley in RE4 reeks of coop leftovers.
>>
>>320098090

It was the harbinger of the end, not quite the end itself. RE5's co-op emphasis was the real nail in the coffin.
>>
>>320093319
Looks boring.
>>
>>320097795
I wouldn't mind coop because lazy game designers sacrifice so much to achieve coop
>coop doors limiting game area
>tiny maps because apparently, people are too dumb to stick together
>episodic nature so you can pick up and play easier
>coop gimmicks like "hold this lever while other player has fun"

I remember when a game having coop didn't require so much bullshit. I said this in another post, but halo managed to have coop without any of that shit. Fucking open world games have coop without needing bulshit like that. Why all co-op TPS feel the need to add that shit?
>>
>>320098120
>What the fuck is the point of a remaster anyway? That better not be true
RE6 is the second best selling Resident Evil game. The PS3/360 versions ran like shit and had inferior graphics to PC. The game is begging to be given a lick of paint and a re-release.

Did you know RE6 sold 2x more than The Evil Within on PC?
>>
>>320097784
>>320097913
Chainsaw man only works in one game, same with hammer/axe man. Remember how awesome Pyramid Head and Nurses were in Silent Hill 2 because they suited the game and themes? They should never have come back.
>>
>>320097513

And it's funny that the series became utter shit as soon coop was introduced.

The last scary and fun resident evil game was r3, and that's was because of nemesis.

R4 was fun, but it was already pure action bullshit.

At the least they had the decency of making coop partners immortal in the single player.
>>
File: fps-map-design.png (37 KB, 640x516) Image search: [Google]
fps-map-design.png
37 KB, 640x516
>>320095267
Yep, RE4, 5, and 6 are literally one long hallway.

"During testing we determined that sometimes our testers had to turn around and got lost. This was frustrating to them, so to simplify things we made the maps completely linear. It is also easier for us to program so we can save time and money then focus on delivering later downloadable content to players for a fair price"
-Shit eating marketing major who works for a video game company and needs to be crucified on national television
>>
>hurr durr RE4 masterpiece
>hurr durr RE5 shit and shit coop not horror because its not constany night and we arent in medieval spain
>who cares it improved everything from RE4
>just gimme the same dark shit again
>>
>>320098385
The Village part actually has some degree of open-ness to it, but the game dosent make a big show of it.
>>
>>320098256
RE5 does co-op parts very well

The part in the mine was great, one of you needs to hold the lamp while the other shoots

Or the part where you get separated and you have to cover your partner across the street

Mind you, none of those parts overstay their welcome
They're nice changes of pace and they actually add to the game due to it's co-op nature
>>
>>320098348
Chainsaw man was a guy with a chainsaw. You can have him anywhere.

Pyramid Head is different because he's supposed to be a custom tailored Silent Hill enemy for the protagonist.
>>
The gameplay is fun but that is all about this game,, it gets stale, it's way too easy

the rest is just mediocre
>>
I'd have no issue with RE6 if it moved like RE5. The melee was so satisfying in that game. Fuck.
>>
>>320098348

You are going to get triggered but Homecoming has the best nurses.
>>
>>320098385
Man RE5 has awesome pacing
I loved it
Right as the action starts, you get to hold out in that house, than they break in, you get to run around this huge mutli level area and fight fucking chainsaw guy right away

It was great, such a great way to start the game off
That part is very similar to RE4 first segment in the village, a very nice throwback
>>
>>320098385
I'll be honest, I hated most FPS levels in the old days (Duke Nukem comes to mind) and they're just as shit in the linear style (Duke Nukem comes to mind.)

The best fps map designs take notes from platformers and give you a selection of medium sized playgrounds.
>>
>>320098440
>one of you needs to hold the lamp while the other shoots
>one of you needs to watch the other do things

Even if you do find that fun, everything else I mentioned in my post is still shitty (small maps, coop doors and so on).
The worst part is, THAT SHIT IS NOT NECESSARY.

coop doors don't need to exist
coop games don't need to all be episodic
coop games don't need all to have tiny maps separated by points of no return.
>>
>>320098648
I agree
People who think that huge, convoluted labyrinth is "good design" for an fps are fucking retards and just want to shit on modern games

Yea, having a massive area for no reason that's a maze sure is fun
Totally
>>
>>320098474
>You can have him anywhere
As long as there's trees and shit, I wouldn't mind too much. He'd have get redesigned though, even his outfit was appropriate to the setting.

>>320098519
Maybe, but they still shouldn't have been there in my opinion.
>>
>>320098440

My problem with coop is that it utterly destroy any tension or fear in a horror game like the first resident evils.

Having some faggot looming over your shoulder in a horror game instantly destroy the atmosphere, its no longer a horror game, and neither its a arcade game like left 4 dead, but something with the worst traits of both.

Imagine the disaster it would be if they added a coop partner in amnesia, or in the first silent hills?
>>
>>320097143
>Every character handles differently.
Slightly. Still got that clunky over the shoulder bullshit every other game has these days no matter what. The "differences" are minimal, and you're made to think there's more because of different weapons being available to different characters. There's not really anything "unique" about any of their changes, at least not anything to write home about.

>Enemy mutation is insane.
I'll say. "Oh hey he's changing what kind of thing is he becoming.. Oh.. A giant flesh crow." Literally the closest to anything cool in that category.

But let's talk about my true distastes for this shit.

>Story is basically fan service, but not even cleverly disguised fan service.
"Oh new threat that'll make sense for Chris and leaon to meet because that's what game fans want. We'll just make three retellings of the same events from different perspectives, and that'll be an excuse to not make the story long and engaging."

"Brilliant! But we killed Wesker and almost all the dudes from umbrella that mattered!'

"No that's the best part! Its a new corporation that's SECRETLY umbrella and their old ways. Don't worry, we'll cleverly disguise the name so it blows the fans minds when they realize. We'll add Ada Wong, fuck it two Ada Wong's!"

"Ohh I got chills when you said that."

"But it gets better. This edgy kid who plays alongside grown up, awkward boner little girl from 2?"

"Yeah?"

"Albert. Fucking. Weskers. Mother. Fucking. Son."

"Take me right here on the desk you sexy genius."

Then gay mansects. That's how I feel that board meeting went.

>I have more complaints too if that's not enough for ya.
>>
>>320098773
>People who think that huge, convoluted labyrinth
I see you haven't actually played old fps games, or maybe you just played when you were 5 and got lost because you were a dumb kid
Did you even look at the picture showing map design? It's not a fucking maze, they're just open.
>>
>>320098764
>one of you needs to hold the lamp while the other shoots
>one of you needs to watch the other do things
So?
Did you play that part?
It's short and pretty cool to do with a friend
It's literally like, what, at max it would take you 5 minutes to get past that part
And it's not just looking, one of you makes enemies visible, the other takes them down
The one shooting also has to protect the guy lighting the path
It was cool

About that other stuff
>coop doors don't need to exist
They're just a way to make sure both players are past a certain point so the game can load
And why don't they need to exist?

>coop games don't need to all be episodic
This has nothing to do with coop tho
A game being episodic doesn't mean you should or shouldn't make it coop
It just happens to be if it's made that way
How does coop make a game episodic?

>coop games don't need all to have tiny maps separated by points of no return.
True they don't
>>
>>320097913
I hate nigger humor but i cant stop laughing at this
>>
>>320099002
Further on the "cool enemies topic." I went and loaded gameplay on YouTube to make sure we were talking about the same game, and the "antagonist" just morphed into what is essentially a dog with a guard tower morphed to its back. Oh and theyre fighting atop a train. This is literally "scenes from a hat, action writers block edition."
>>
>>320099002
>Albert. Fucking. Weskers. Mother. Fucking. Son.
One of the only things I hated about RE6. That, and "I'll tell you about when we get out of this room. I'll tell you about it when we get outside. I'll tell you about it when we get to the church. I'll tell you about it-" Shit was retarded.

The secret Umbrella Corp. was typical Resident Evil though, it didn't bother me at all.
>>
>>320098985

This is what ill never understand.
Ive never found any of the RE games scary or nothing.

So coop hardly ruins anything, its a big plus and tons of fun.

Amnesia could work in coop with good sound design and with a few extra feauteres/new enemy type.
>>
>>320098985
Well it's a good thing RE4, 5 or 6 are not horror games but action games isn't it?
It's okay to change the game up and adds things if you also change other things to suit that

RE games past 4 did that, it fits
>>
>>320099331
It just felt forced to me. It doesn't flow as well as the same story being told basically a third time. The first bit to RE lore is rather natural, but it soon feels like you're just playing the same game with new "twists" that anybody whose played the games can now predict almost as soon as they appear.
>>
>>320099102
>They're just a way to make sure both players are past a certain point so the game can load
How about just trust that the players aren't fucking retarded?
Or, if you really think the worst of your audience, teleport the coop partner to the main player if he goes too far away.

>And why don't they need to exist?
Because they limit level design into tiny sections that don't interact with each other. It's like, every time you lift open a door, you go into a different world.
And they don't need to exist because there's no actual need to force the players to stick together that much. Again, plenty of games in the past had coop and didn't need coop loading doors. Why do tps coop games do that?

>coop games don't need to all be episodic
>This has nothing to do with coop tho
you're right, it doesn't. And yet, every single coop tps is exactly like that. Why? There's no need for that shit. They do it because it's another "tps coop game design" check list point
>>
>>320099524
Of course everyone knew what most of the big twists were going to be, but nobody played it for the writing. That doesn't excuse the writing, but at least there wasn't a high expectation for quality.
>>
>>320099556

>every single tps coop game is episodic

Name 10.
>>
>>320099556
>Why do tps coop games do that?
I think it has to do with resource management. I'm no expert, but wouldn't larger areas + multiple simultaneous displays = more strain on the system? I remember thinking Gears 1 looked beautiful on launch (and it's still not too ugly) and it makes sense, because the levels are a series of tiny areas with good backdrops.
>>
>>320099556
You're blowing this "coop door" thing out of proportion
Both players need to be there to open a door
Hardly makes the game any worse just for that

Also
>they limit level design into tiny sections that don't interact with each other. It's like, every time you lift open a door, you go into a different world.
Interact with each other?
How does allowed you to back track bring any sort of interaction to the game?
And how do they limit level design?
It's not like the devs NEED to put a coop door in some points, they're making the level, they can not put them if they like

The episodic comment is bullshit
I don't know of any other action tps that's coop, and also episodic except for revelations 2
Episodic games are in most cases modern point and click/visual novel games
>>
>>320093319
All I'm reading is that you love eating shit.
>>
>>320099384

Yeah, and its the reason that I no longer buy re games, the multiplayer aspect is done better by other games, the horror aspect is done better by other games, the action aspect is done better by other games, and the gunplay well....

Trying to do too many things at once will result in a bland game, at this point I think people are playing re games simply because it has the re name on the disc, not because they are good games.

Dead space died the instant it went the same route re did, some things simply don't work on action horro/survival horror games.
>>
>>320099667
That's a cop out though. Its not just the story's writing that's predictable and boring. Its every nook and fucking cranny, every level, every programmer concept artist storyboard write all of them sat in a room and were like "Ohhhh yeah, that'll be a surprise when that guy jumps out." And one guy goes "this actually feels kinda predictable and transparent." And the head is like "that's just because we're programing it, we're desensitized to the epic weight of all of it" and then they all went "Ohhhhhh yeah that makes sense" and they all chilled in a studio apartment for a year without stepping outside once.
>>
>>320099864
The game is rendered twice but in smaller resolution.
Consoles cant really handle that.

There are fps drops constantly.

Though i dont understan why is it rendered twice.
Wouldnt it be better to have extended rendering angle and just have another camera placement for the 2nd player's view?
>>
>>320099962
>Hardly makes the game any worse just for that
It doesn't add anything, though.

You've been saying "it's okay, it doesn't make the game worse" but the I'm just saying "it doesn't need to exist, since it adds nothing"
And levels being tiny and sectioned off are not good. Maybe you're fine with it, but I'm not. I played plenty of coop games that didn't feel the need to section off tiny areas every so often, and I prefer it that way.

>I'm no expert, but wouldn't larger areas + multiple simultaneous displays = more strain on the system?
are RE games nowadays even split-screen able?
>>
>>320093319
Shame ur mum couldn't manage her pills m8
>>
>>320099374

Games like amnesia only work if you keep the sensation of isolation/loneliness, adding coop would destroy the game.
>>
>>32010067

Hardly.
The biggest thing amnesia got going on is that you cant fight back.

In Penumbra you could and it still spooky as fuck, especially with all the shit you find out.
>>
Resident Evil HD highest grossing digital download in Capcom
Resident Evil 0 HD set to make a grand buck as well
Resident Evil 2 Remake in the oven with near Final Fantasy 7 levels of want

Yeap, they really played the old style into the ground...

Only reason RE5 and RE6 continued to outsell the previous is due to new user base + the previous install that grows every chapter

You want to see what the action in Resident Evil culminates?

Operation Raccoon City

And now Umbrella Corp is a literal fuckin Call of Duty clone
>>
>>320093319
RE6 looks really fun, but at the same time too overstuffed with parts you can't fully control.
>>
>>320093319
Yeah, its amazing if you learn the controls. Its only flaw is level design, way too linear and cinematics/QTE breaking actual gameply.
>>
>>320103441
No control is right

Every time a monster closet opens and belches its load in your path your forced to kill them

Run away and your met with either locked "gate" or a co-op door and your ai partner is too busy running into walls to pathfind

Older RE games gave you the choice to kill or flee depending on your health level munitions and risk factor so you can strategically eliminate few for faster game times (had to beat the game in low time to get the after game bonuses instead of them being handed to you) or just gun everything down for smooth sailing, much like newer games but actually VOLUNTARY>>320103441
>>
>>320093319
RE4 is a fantastic game that still holds ground today (no nostalgia, I just replayed the damn thing). It took the series through a fun action perspective without losing its horror content. The enemies still feel menacing and can actually be dangerous. The setpieces are fantastic, the village and the castle feel eery and even the island, the most action oriented part, still has some of the most unnerving parts of the game. The qtes were new at the time and not overly done.

RE6 captures none of those things. Chris' campaign feels like gears of War, the Leon campaign lacks a single well done atmosphere (except perhaps for the very beginning of it) and by the final parts is exactly like Chris', all action and no horror. Wesker jr is the most interesting one gameplay wise, but has the worst development of all. The qte went from being occasional, a tool to keep the player on his toes and make him feel involved in the action cutscenes, to being everywhere, to the point of being present to even turn on a fucking car. The imposed coop is terrible when playing solo; at least you could keep Ashley hidden from the action most of the time, while now your AI partners require more babysitting than her. Not to mention the diversity of the weapon system going through the window together with the enemy design...

6 is in no way a better 4. It's a ruined 4
>>
>>320103387
>Resident Evil HD highest grossing digital download in Capcom
Yet it overall sold 1/6 of RE6. Same as Revelations 2. On PC, RE6 sold 3-4 times more copies than RE HD. RE HD sold a weak 174k copies. RE6 sold 700k on PC.

>Resident Evil 2 Remake in the oven with near Final Fantasy 7 levels of want
Just wait until they realise WHY Capcom had talks with the Resident Evil 2 Reborn team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9CXf0PwSzc

This project. Capcom have been talking to THESE people. Not the ones making fixed camera angle remake projects for RE2. RE2 Remake is going to be over the shoulder. It will likely realise the creator's original vision by supporting Leon/Claire cooperative play. Mark my words, anon.
>>
>>320093319
Every campaigns that is not Leon's is shit, and his is only Okay. You have bad taste. The game has shit bosses with too much scripted health bullet sink shit. The TPS mechanics are shit and it's not like the game is hard. I started on the second to hardest difficulty and then did the next no problem. It's shit a mediocre game.

Except the Mercenaries mode. That shit is great.
>>
>>320100403
>are RE games nowadays even split-screen able?
Yes. Even on PC. Ironically, they're more likely to have splitscreen on PC than online coop, which pisses off some players and doesn't make sense. RE:Revelations 2 got online coop for PC post-release with a patch. Capcom have been rather good about patches. They even let you download the pre-Gold version of RE5 from Steam if you want it. (It's less buggy in places.)
>>
>>320094481
You are ignoring the fact The Evil Within is better than RE6 in every way but sprinting though.
>>
>>320105303
>You are ignoring the fact The Evil Within is better than RE6 in every way but sprinting though.
It's more taste than anything. TEW is so much of a RE6 clone that it's difficult to establish which game is ultimately better. I like them both a great deal. I think TEW is more casual-friendly than RE6. It's the sort of game people can blunder through fairly easily.
>>
>>320098385
RE6 has great level design. It's not a maze or anything, but you do get freedom to explore each individual section which makes the gameplay interesting. Examples being places like the village or where you meet the regenerators. "Open world" shit is just a buzzword and the castle in games like RE1 is so small and full of backtracking it's not suitable for a very long game.
>>
>>320105483
I respect you, anon. RE6 constantly breaks up the corridors with open areas. I dunno why people ignore that. Just look at Leon's campaign, and the big open area outside where you can slide under things and shoot balloons and get a grasp of the combat mechanics. And then once you reach the church, you've got the big open-ish graveyard.

Could RE6 have been more open? By all means. But people bashing its linearity have apparently never gotten past the prologue.
>>
>>320105460
How is it a RE6 clone? They play nothing alike. Not even remotely.

>RE6
>Hide and shoot in cover all the time
>Enemies all have guns and shoot at you
>Melee super strong and you can literally kung fu fight zombies
>Trick shots
>Tons of cutscenes and QTE's
>Infinite sprinting
>Super long QTE bosses

The Evil Within had basically no melee capabilities even with max upgraded melee unless you picked up a one use item. Very few enemies had guns except at one portion of the city and even then it worked differently. It also had stealth mechanics and other shit. I literally have played both of these games again in the last 2 months. They are nothing alike. They both feel like two completely different directions a RE4 sequel could take with The Evil Within having a superior everything in the end, even though it's a 7 or a 8 out of 10 at best where as RE4 as a video game is closer to a 9 or a 9.5

>>320105483
Before all the replies calling me retarded too, I misstyped RE4 as RE6.
>>
>>320105483
I think you meant to say re4 instead of re6 there, mate
>>
>>320093319
I don't think I've heard anyone ever complain about how the game is difficult
>>
>watch some Jap LP of the game
>train dodging stuff with Leon and Helena
>girl remarks how the train should hit Helena's breasts
She just be jealous
>>
>>320105628
While I did mistype RE6 and RE4, I agree with you for the most part. I did have serious issues with RE6, but it wasn't the "level" design so much as it was the enemy design on all campaigns that weren't Leon's. His was great and then you did everybody else's.

I really enjoyed Revelations 2 though.
>>
>>320093981
>You do realise the Resident Evil series has been chasing the so-called "Call of Duty" audience ever since RE4:
>Chasing an audience that didn't even exist at that time
Jesus Christ anon.
>>
>>320105704
>>Enemies all have guns and shoot at you
No, they don't.

>>Hide and shoot in cover all the time
Only if you choose to.

>>Tons of cutscenes and QTE's
Evil Within also has them.

>>Super long QTE bosses
Such as? I don't recall QTE being a big part of RE6 bosses unless you count combat QTEs?

>It also had stealth mechanics and other shit.
RE6 also has stealth. It's not GREAT stealth, but it's there. Walk slowly up behind enemies for one hit kill attacks. This is especially important in Ada's campaign. (Odd how RE6 and TEW both have female-led bonus campaigns with a bigger stealth focus.)
>>
>>320106350
>>Chasing an audience that didn't even exist at that time
>Jesus Christ anon.
What part of "so-called" was unclear to you? RE4 was chasing the action-happy Western game audience that nowdays gets called the "Call of Duty" audience because people love to overgeneralise.
>>
>>320106495
>No they don't

On everybody but Leon's campaign they do. Especially Chris's.

>Only if you choose to

Did you play the hardest difficulty?

>Tons of cutscenes and QTE's

The Evil Within has a lot less so it's a lot less bothersome with the QTE's. I actually can't think of one.

>Super long QTE bosses

I meant scripted bosses, as in you can't kill them until the 16th time you "fight" them in your fight.

RE6 does not have steal. You one hit kill all enemies with melee from the back regardless of if they see you or not. If we are really going to say the games are the same because a tiny portion of Ada's campaign then that's retarded. That is the ONLY part of the entire game anyway like that and it's very short.
>>
>>320106495
>Such as? I don't recall QTE being a big part of RE6 bosses unless you count combat QTEs?
RE4 had the QTE bosses. Most bosses involved hamming a single button to stab it or pressing random, illogical button combos to dodge attacks and that sort of thing. RE6 tends to be "shoot enemy/counter its attacks/use C4/illegal ninja moves until it falls down, and then kick it in the face with a single QTE prompt that is basically impossible to fail".
>>
>caring about RE after RE1
lol...
>>
>>320106742
>I meant scripted bosses, as in you can't kill them until the 16th time you "fight" them in your fight.
TEW's Keeper filled this role nicely, for what it's worth. It just kept coming back over and over and over again. Same goes for Ruvik. Same goes for Reborn Laura.

TEW is a more polished game than RE6. It has a more focused design. I don't think that's worth disputing. But I think it's much closer to RE6 than RE4. I remember being struck by the similarities when you reached the church in TEW - which was way more like RE6's church than RE4's church, complete with underground catacombs.
>>
>>320105231
>The game has shit bosses with too much scripted health bullet sink shit.
There's usually a trick to fighting bosses. For example, a lot of players in Leon's campaign waste all their bullets on those big, bloated zombies when all it takes to kill them is a single C4 charge. That can be planted by equipping it and sliding past the zombie. In fact, look at Ada's final boss battle. Most players waste their time shooting the eyes, when the real weakness is the face itself. Shoot explosive crossbow bolts to destroy the flesh. Before it regenerates, shoot the liquid nitrogen tanks in the room beyond. RE1, RE2, RE3, RE4, and RE5 are games where most bosses can be beaten by firing wildly in their general direction, or by hitting nonsensical QTEs.
>>
>>320105186
And inherently co-op isn't a bad thing
The co-op introduced in RE 0 was perfect

One person could be solving a puzzle while the other, not battling for their life on a completely different area

We don't need both characters attached to the hip. We don't need two people to open a single door, and if Revelations 2 shows anything asymmetrical co-op is viable

Also resident Evil HD was best selling DIGITALLY DISTRIBUTED game

That 700k is irrelevant when it's a cumulative number of digital AND physical copies, there's also the fact that many people felt that Resident Evil
Resident Evil Directors Cut
resident Evil Deadly Silence
REmake. Did they really need to drag this zombie back out for another go? And DIDN'T buy
>>
I give no fucks about RE4/5/6 (as much as I enjoyed the first thing mentioned) and just want more tank control games.

Dino Crisis and old RE please.
>>
>>320107545
>We don't need both characters attached to the hip. We don't need two people to open a single door, and if Revelations 2 shows anything asymmetrical co-op is viable
That's a good point.

>That 700k is irrelevant when it's a cumulative number of digital AND physical copies
That is a fair point, anon.
>>
>>320107706
Give this guy a medal. Shiny one with pulsating light

And cinematic camera angles
>>
>>320107706
>I give no fucks about RE4/5/6
>just want more tank control games
Two of those are tank controls games.
>>
>>320107954
Only one actually, they put strafing in the alternate controls in RE 5
>>
>>320108103
>Only one actually, they put strafing in the alternate controls in RE 5
Actually, that's still very close to tank controls. It only stops being tank controls when pressing right makes your character walk right. Not walk sideways -- actually walk sideways. You know, like Mario 64. Croc can walk sideways in the Croc games, but he still has tank controls. Non-tank controls move the character relative to the camera in the direction the buttons/stick is pressed.
>>
>>320108236
To clarify, holding "down" makes your character turn around and face the camera, and then walk towards it, you don't have tank controls. RE6 does this. RE5 doesn't. Your character just awkwardly waddles backwards, facing forward the whole time.
>>
>>320107954
You mean, shooters with over the shoulder camera angles where you're gunning down black Africans with tentacles in their heads.
>>
>>320108345
Even if the traits were mutually exclusive, that would be 3 shooters with over the shoulder camera.
>>
>>320108482
Well, whatever. Point is that claiming RE1-3 have the same (or even similar) control scheme as RE4-6 is fucking retarded.
>>
>>320108482
>Even if the traits were mutually exclusive, that would be 3 shooters with over the shoulder camera.
RE6's camera is only "over the shoulder" in the modern TPS sense when you're aiming. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and MGS V are the same.

>>320108579
>Well, whatever. Point is that claiming RE1-3 have the same (or even similar) control scheme as RE4-6 is fucking retarded.
RE4 is "classic" Resident Evil movement viewed from behind. RE2 N64 introduced independent camera-oriented 3D movement -- in many ways, it was RE6's precursor.
>>
>>320105048
You're honestly retarded if you think RE4 was a horror game in any way
It is not a scary game
At all
Don't delude yourself
>>
>>320108579
The point is you can't express yourself well with terminology you don't understand. RE4 movement is literally identical to RE1-3.
>>
File: 1447849254461.jpg (16 KB, 447x444) Image search: [Google]
1447849254461.jpg
16 KB, 447x444
>>320093981
>>320093319
Im aware this is a troll thread, but as someone who liked Resident Evil, even having an ok time with RE5, this game is a insult. Sega put so little effort into this shit that Im getting Deadspace 3 flashbacks

The simplicity of the controls aside the game is bad in most categories
>lower overall graphical fidelity than RE5, abysmal texture quality
>utter garbage plot
>Content is so diluted and the characters so haphazardly thrown into situations the game is closer to a boring themepark ride than a single player focused game.
>Sewer level within the first 5 minutes of the game
>constant "black out, wake up" gameplay segues because god fucking help us there isnt an explosion every 5 seconds
>Babies first, wait a minute that card puzzles
>extremely lazy prop and level design, suffering from a particularly bad case of "Levers to control everything"
>Complete disregard to the Survival Horror genre
>>
I know people say Evil within was good, but I couldn't get into it
The game felt too stiff to me
>>
>>320108974
is this bait?
>>
>>320108236
Gears of War series
Several action MMO
Non rebooted late tomb raider
Siphon Filter series

Semantically EVERY fps in existence
As well as a great majority of tps

You don't categorise them as tank controls
>>
>>320108974
Pretty much. There's a lot of bad design choices in the game. Another notable thing is that the camera would constantly switch to some shit like a switch or whatever while you had zombies on your back. And the gameplay works for the mercenaries mode but it's just too much stuff for the terrible story modes.

RE6 defenders don't know shit about video games.
>>
Only thing this game did right was the intertwining storylines (every set of characters has their own story but sometimes they meet at some points in time)

And that's only because that shit gets me hard as fuck
>>
>>320109047
Sega Capcom mixup might be idiocy
But otherwise valid and agreeable opinion
Doesn't look like bait
>>
>>320108974
>>lower overall graphical fidelity than RE5, abysmal texture quality
This is untrue. There's more to graphics than textures. RE6 switched to deferred rendering for more complicated lighting and shading effects. RE6's skin shaders are far beyond RE5's for example. Plus deferring lighting means you can have two characters using flashlights without slowdown like RE5 would have experienced. The side effect of deferred rendering is less memory for textures on PS3/360. Also, MSAA doesn't work properly. That's why modern RE games only support post-processing AA methods.

People who claim RE5 is graphically superior to RE6 know nothing about graphics.
>>
>>320109197
>Pretty much. There's a lot of bad design choices in the game. Another notable thing is that the camera would constantly switch to some shit like a switch or whatever while you had zombies on your back.
They patched the game to fix players dying while the camera is showing you something, by the way. I dislike the "lookie here!" camera stuff. Metal Gear Solid V did it too, during its prologue that plays a quite a bit like RE6's prologue.
>>
>>320108974
>>Sewer level within the first 5 minutes of the game
The Evil Within also has a sewer within five minutes. There's nothing wrong with sewers. Sewers are fun. Sewers are an excuse to show off RE6's dynamic lighting effects via the head-mounted flashlight-thingies.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1 MB, 1167x800) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 MB, 1167x800
>>320110447
The game looks worse. It really doesnt matter if some technical aspects were used to improve console performance, as someone who can max both games out on a PC, RE6 managed to look worse. Part if this is the constant repetition of noticeable objects and use of objects out of place. The game has a very jumbles disorganized look to, just about everything stands out as an object and nothing seems to fit particularly well. RE6 comes across as being very amateur compared to other games released around the same time.
>>
>whenever someone doesn't like the same game as me its because they are bad at it

creamy meme dude
>>
>>320110720
>It really doesnt matter if some technical aspects were used to improve console performance, as someone who can max both games out on a PC, RE6 managed to look worse.
RE5 is a game where everything is usually lit by a single light source. That's why the game looks so flat and bland. Deferred rendering is one of the only practical ways to solve the massive overheads of dynamic lighting. It doesn't matter whether some people prefer the "look" of RE5. Outside of fancy cutscenes, RE5 resorts to very simple lighting, has no real draw distance to speak of, and it also has a shitload of noticable sharpening on textures to mask low resolution ones.

>Part if this is the constant repetition of noticeable objects and use of objects out of place.
Be more specific. RE5 uses the same cracked tile wall every five minutes. The same bunch of crates. The same table. Over and over.
>>
File: worm2.jpg (35 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
worm2.jpg
35 KB, 380x380
>>320093319

I r8 your b8 an 8 m8.

If you aren't b8ing you are a milenial and RE4/5 was your first RE.
>>
>>320095201
>Simply put, people are losing their ability to adapt.

Yes, because you have to adapt to simpler dumbed down version of what you are used to with a higher skill level.
>>
>>320111213
>If you aren't b8ing you are a milenial and RE4/5 was your first RE.
RE2 N64 was my first RE game. You know, the one without tank controls.
>>
>>320111334
>Yes, because you have to adapt to simpler dumbed down version of what you are used to with a higher skill level.
What are you referring to? RE6 replaces RE4 and RE5's repetitive QTEs with actual gameplay. Complex, adaptive gameplay.
>>
>>320105048
>RE4
>Horror

RE4 stopped being horror once you reached the Castle - some would argue earlier - except for certain segments.
>>
File: 20679811.jpg (108 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
20679811.jpg
108 KB, 400x400
>>320111493
>RE6 replaces RE4 and RE5's repetitive QTEs
>Complex, adaptive gameplay.

RE6 had way more QTE than 4 and 5.
And complex gameplay, u wot m8?

>>320111435
RE1 was my first RE back in 1996 when it first came out in the PS1. I have been with the series since it began and played all the main games.
>>
>>320110720
>The game looks worse.
Not him, but as he said it RE5 looks worse in certain aspects. The pre-baked lighting is a good example of it and RE6 looks infinitely better in dark areas / night time.
>>
>>320093319
RE6 is only okay with a friend.
If you're playing offline, good fucking luck with the AI that picks up your mines, wastes your supplies, and is more than willing to lure a very pissed Jill back to your fight with Wesker.
>>
>>320105048
>The qtes were new at the time and not overly done.
RE4 uses QTEs for everything. Almost every major boss encounter feautures a "tap this button repeatedly" QTE. Krauser's introduction is a three minute non-stop instadeath QTE. Rocks falling. QTE. Enemy attacks from below. QTE. From above. QTE. From a distance. QTE. When you're riding a minecart. QTE. When you fall out of the boat. QTE. QTEs of this type are a cancer. RE6 replaces them with ACTUAL DODGING. Instead of a random QTE to dodge an attack, you JUST FUCKING DODGE IT BY DODGING SIDEWAYS.

At least Resident Evil 6 lets you practically disable all instadeath QTEs, leaving only the normal gameplay ones.
>>
>>320111794
Oh wait. I completely misread that as RE5. Whoops I am goddamn retarded and sleep deprived.
>>
>>320093319
I agree. I fucking love this game, and I hope the rumors of a PS4/XboxOne edition are true. My PS3's about dead, and I hate how long it takes to load on PC.
>>
Resident evil 6 is one of my least favorite games ever. I like every other numbered RE, but 6 is genuinely boring. It's just a long rooty-tooty-point-and-shooty with zero love.

It's been a while since I played it, so I don't remember exactly why I hated it, but it wasn't for any of the stupid arguements the OP set up for me. All I remember is the dread and begging my friend to turn off the game.
>>
>>320111794
You just described RE5 though.
>>
>>320111681
>RE6 had way more QTE than 4 and 5.
Auto Action Button makes non-gameplay ones automatically succeed, so you can just ignore them. And unlike RE4 and RE5, RE6 doesn't use QTEs for every single dodge because the game has an actual dodging function.

>And complex gameplay, u wot m8?
Have you read RE6's manual? Pushed the game to its limits? The sheer amount of gameplay depth is astounding. No other Resident Evil game can really compare.
>>
>>320093319
>it's not bad you simply didn't git gud
No, the story mode is just an unpolished mess. It's all of the small shit like not being able to shoot corpses before they get up and the like. The entirety of RE5 felt polished as fuck and the campaign was entertaining enough for me to complete it with someone on professional without any upgrades. The only thing I liked in RE6 was the mercenaries mode since you actually get to use the new mechanics properly.
>>
>>320111936
>Oh wait. I completely misread that as RE5. Whoops I am goddamn retarded and sleep deprived.
RE6 is a much more enjoyable game singleplayer than RE5. RE5's AI is utterly retarded, and you have to babysit it constantly. RE6 also tries to solve some of RE5's coop problems like greedy players refusing to share items.
>>
File: 1449374423610.png (730 KB, 713x778) Image search: [Google]
1449374423610.png
730 KB, 713x778
>>320111794
>>320112031
>tfw I have yet to have a problem with Sheva

people who complain about her just down know how to use her tbf, probably the same retards who give the the same weapons you do so you're always sharing ammo
>>
File: 1310337958084.jpg (61 KB, 294x294) Image search: [Google]
1310337958084.jpg
61 KB, 294x294
>>320112082
>Have you read RE6's manual? Pushed the game to its limits? The sheer amount of gameplay depth is astounding. No other Resident Evil game can really compare.
>>
>tfw I see 1-3, CVX, REmake, and RE:0 as a completely different game to 4-6
You can't even compare them, so just get on with it and enjoy each for what they are.

I love RE5+6 because of coop, same with Revelations and mercenaries modes. But I also love the originals because of the survival horror and isometric cameras.
>>
>>320112193
>Personal anecdotes

Sheva was a genuinely shitty mechanic for SP that was fixed in RE6 with separating the resource system for each player.
>>
>>320111984
>I agree. I fucking love this game, and I hope the rumors of a PS4/XboxOne edition are true. My PS3's about dead, and I hate how long it takes to load on PC.
What are your PC specs, anon? It runs beautifully on my PC, without significant load breaks, and my PC isn't exactly new.

I'm hoping two things.

1: That this rumoured remaster comes to PC.
2: That this rumoured remaster fixes the design problems without totally fucking up the game to pander to the people who couldn't be bothered taking the time to learn how it works. For example, I'd love it if they made it so you could pick up dropped weapons from enemies you kill. That'd be awesome. But removing the dodge system and replacing it with generic RE: Revelations 2-style dodging? That'd be really annoying. I remember certain RE6 reviews complaining that RE6 didn't have "normal" dodge roll.
>>
>>320112145
>It's all of the small shit like not being able to shoot corpses before they get up and the like.
That's a legit criticism, and I agree wholeheartedly, but I'm pretty sure it only applies to a few parts of Leon's campaign. It's not like the game tosses not-actually-dead enemies at you every five minutes.
>>
>>320093319
>complained that the game didn't teach them mechanics. There are a shitload of people who don't know basic stuff like how the melee system works. Capcom included a link to the online manual in the game box, but apparently a lot of people didn't bother to read
I think the RE6 is shit because, there are no situations that I have encountered that would benefit the new quick shot, dodging mechanics and the gunkata style.
>>
>>320112338
>>tfw I see 1-3, CVX, REmake, and RE:0 as a completely different game to 4-6
You're completely right, anon. I see RE1-3 and RE4-6 as two different trilogies with totally different design approaches. I don't get why some people are so butthurt over it. Is it envy because the classic games get remasters and the new games get actual new entries? Because I hate to say this, but most people don't actually wanna play NEW "classic" RE games. No, they want to play the EXACT SAME games as "classic" RE games. It's like how hardcore FFVII fans want the remake to be EXACTLY THE SAME as the original game right down to map layouts and gameplay.
>>
>>320112576
Actually, tons of situations benefit doing CUHRAZY gun-kata garbage. It's just that you don't *need* to do all of that shit to beat the game - it just makes your life a lot easier.

If you want to be competitive in mercs though, you need to know how to do it.

I'm sure some people have webms of it.
>>
The story was a God Damn nightmare. I played 6 way more recently than the other 5, and I barely rember anything, other than being angry about it at the time.

There was that girl that hung out with Leon, and she had a naked sister boss fight. And I remember blood filling out into an umbrella logo. and piers dying. Oh yea and Chris meeting Leon but that was way really unsatisfying.

Who were the bad guys? I know the plot was never particularly good, and got real messy with 4, but I liked it just fine up until 6. Six's story was just so God Damn unmemorable that I can't even remember why I hated it.
>>
>>320112576
>I think the RE6 is shit because, there are no situations that I have encountered that would benefit the new quick shot, dodging mechanics and the gunkata style.
Quick shot is beneficial whenever Leon is surrounded. Switch to double pistols for even more effective crowd clearing. Remember that RE6 encourages you to run into crowds of zombies. It's not like RE4 and RE5 where you're supposed to run backwards frantically.
>dodging mechanics
C'mon, dude. The dive dodge is fantastic and versatile. For example, when on your back, you're temporarily immune to any horizontal sweep attacks. Really crucial during boss battles, where bosses tend to do that. Diving sideways means you can avoid fast enemies coming straight for you. And the slide allows you to move under things, breaking pursuit, without losing momentum. Remember that when sliding, you should briefly tap the aim button while running to drop and slide. Holding it too long will cause you to slow down too much.
>>
>>320112351
>Personal anecdotes

its called gitting gud
>>
>>320113015
If you really git gudded, you would've done a knife only run on the hardest difficulty.
>>
>>320112710
RE6's story can be summed up as follows.

Zero/Simmons is the head of The Family/XOF, and he has a subordinate Skullface/Carla Radames. Anyhow, Simmons uses the C-Virus to turn Carla into a copy of his waifu, Ada Wong. And she develops a LUST FOR REVENGE, and wants to destroy the world using VOCAL CORD PARA-- BIOTERRORISM. Her first target is, of course, Ze-- I mean, Simmons.

Okay, so I'm just being retarded. Long story short, fake Ada Wong forms Neo-Umbrella. "The Family" want to use bioterrorism to ensure global stability. But fake Ada Wong goes behind their backs and fucks shit up for lulz. Also "The Family" inject Helena's sister with concentrated C-virus because they think she's hot and want to see what results the virus would have on someone so hot.

The result is an intelligent, naked monster that straddles Ada, Leon, and Helena if she gets a chance.
>>
I've been playing REmake recently and whilst it's one of my favourite games in the series I'm actually pretty bored of it. Might be due to how many times I've played it and the original.

Whereas RE6 is more fun to play, especially with a bro.

This is coming from a fan of the series since playing the original as a kid.
>>
File: 1441990498860.png (635 KB, 869x721) Image search: [Google]
1441990498860.png
635 KB, 869x721
>>320113049
>>
First of all, nobody complained about the controls. OP is clearly a fag, I'm sure everyone can agree on that.

The combat was the one decent thing about 6, which is why mercenaries mode is still good. What people didn't like about it was pretty much every thing besides the combat, and rightly so, as it was all quite shit.
>>
File: EYES.jpg (89 KB, 1440x674) Image search: [Google]
EYES.jpg
89 KB, 1440x674
I JUST KNOW IN MY HEART THAT THERE'S NO WAY LIGHT UP DARK IN HIS EYES.
>>
>>320113650
Ada's butt
>>
Best gameplay of the series.
Worst everything else.
Its good if you play it with a bud, like every other coop game
>>
>>320113592
>First of all, nobody complained about the controls.
How wrong you are.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/resident-evil-6/user-reviews

Review after review of plebs pissing and moaning about the "confusing" controls.

READ.
THE.
FUCKING.
MANUAL.
IT'S.
RIGHT.
THERE.
IN.
THE.
BOX.
ON.
A.
PIECE.
OF.
PAPER.
WITH
A.
WEB.
LINK.
>>
>>320093319
I like some of 6, like different scenarios for characters. But other then that, there isn't much to love. I had more enjoyment with Revelations.
>>
>>320113747
Gameplay is a dumb meme that tells absolutely nothing about the game. Like the word "fun".
>>
File: hrr.jpg (9 KB, 163x193) Image search: [Google]
hrr.jpg
9 KB, 163x193
>>320093319
I can't say anything regarding it effects to the whole Resident Evil franchise, but RE6 does have a solid combat mechanic that only shines in Mercenaries No Mercy
A shame. If they put it in a completely new game with proper campaign level design, people would probably like it more
>>
>>320113932
>A shame. If they put it in a completely new game with proper campaign level design, people would probably like it more
What constitutes "proper" campaign design? I think RE6 would benefit from some tweaks, but what exactly should RE6 do to "fix" its campaign without turning into Dead Rising 3? Which was a cool enough game, but not what I want from modern Resident Evil?
>>
>>320113923
You can do more shit and it feels good when you do those things.
Skill ceiling is higher all around.
Are those more concrete for you anon ?
>>
>>320113650
Leon is basically the Paladin of the RE franchise.
>>
>>320114049
Not talking about level for Resident Evil part of the game, I mean proper enemy numbers and less corridors for the combat system alone.
You barely need to do all the slides and counter as it is
>>
>>320113650
I wish Durante had done something for RE6 to improve the resolution of shadows and various special effects. Notice the low resolution halo around the gun barrel? Notice the weird artifacts around Leon's ear? The game looks really sweet at times--the character models are exquisite--but those ugly effects keep clawing their way back.
>>
only thing this game had going for it were its controls and mercenaries
>>
>>320114243
>You barely need to do all the slides and counter as it is
That's a problem, though. You can't FORCE players to use the fancy combat system. Same as RE4 didn't force you to use melee. So you're saying rework the way the game presents enemies and try to "loosen up" the map designs to allow for more player freedom? I can totally agree with that. I think RE6 would benefit from more robust stealth mechanics in all campaigns. Remember walking up behind enemies in RE4 and killing them? RE6 has that, kinda, but it's rare, since enemies see you. Also, the partner AI is too trigger-happy. It shouldn't start shooting until you shoot, or the enemy is alerted That would go a long way.
>>
>>320114480
>only thing this game had going for it were its controls and mercenaries
I never understood this attitude, but I've hated Mercenaries mode ever since RE4. I also only played Raid mode in Revelations 2 because the music was amazing. Killing waves of zombies in an arena is so... pointless. My idea of Resident Evil is driving the story forward, exploring, discovering, and in recent entries, interesting banter. RE6 had great dialogue as you walked around. Jake bashing America, Ada breaking the fourth wall constantly, etc. (I mean, at one point, Ada scornfully remarks, "Style over substance," and in another section, she is annoyed at the idea of having to track down three passwords for a single door. And then she criticises the monsters for not staying dead. And then she criticises the other characters for needing her to drop in and save them constantly.)
>>
File: SherryShake.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
SherryShake.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
Only good thing about RE6 is pic related.
>>
>>320114662
I loved that prison chapter. I loved being Sherry and electrocuting people. Plus the constantly changing environments in RE6 was a huge plus. I didn't like how the game spent so much time in generic, neon-lit China, though. It needed more stuff like Leon aboard the airplane and the prison.
>>
>>320114485
>rare
Yeah, there was only a handful stealth moments

I'm mostly saying the game had great system for a more action-oriented game, but I think the team had to restraint themselves because they "know" they were making a "horror" game. Just saying it's sort of wasted potential.
Even in action-heavy Chris' campaign, most of the combat happens in medium range since they have guns so you don't really get to do all the cool tricks

I hope Capcom would revisit this system but I don't have my hopes up since lots of people hate RE6
>>
RE4-6 Mercs mode was more fun than any RE game I've ever played.
Don't get me wrong, the first 3 were great, but Mercs was just a special gift from above that we may never see the likes of in many years again.
>>
File: uc.jpg (122 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
uc.jpg
122 KB, 1280x720
>>320114792
>Mercs was just a special gift from above that we may never see the likes of in many years again.
>>
File: 1439012909339.jpg (37 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
1439012909339.jpg
37 KB, 400x386
>All these Capcom shills unironically defending RE6
Even Dead Space 3 was more enjoyable than that bloated pile of trash.
>>
>>320114771
>I hope Capcom would revisit this system but I don't have my hopes up since lots of people hate RE6
I wish we had some way of determining how the general audience feels about RE6, because internet fanboism shits everything up. Drowns out any attempt to have a show of hands. It's probably gotten worse. If RE4 were announced in 2015, we'd have an internet petition to cancel it because the TRUEFANS are offended by its betrayal of the sacred game formula. And unfortunately, Capcom is the sort of company that is likely to get scared of making a flop and pander to what it thinks the fans--whoever shouts the loudest--want instead of trying to make something bold and innovative. For all his faults, Kojima was great at shitting all over the fans of his games by ignoring what they wanted and pursuing his own vision.
>>
>>320114967
Snark aside, we shall see how Umbrella Corps turns out. I'm not really interested in an MP-only game of its type, but it may not be terrible. I see nothing wrong with games set in the Resident Evil universe experimenting with different kinds of gameplay.

>>320115036
No matter how much you and other haters whine, it won't change the fact a vast majority of people who bought Resident Evil 6 didn't hate the game. In fact, a lot of them LOVED the game.
>>
>>320095421

>better inventory

No fucking way

Sure, not having to pause to select a weapon is good, but the inventory space is so limited, it was ridiculous
>>
>>320115216
>Sure, not having to pause to select a weapon is good, but the inventory space is so limited, it was ridiculous
It's not THAT ridiculous when weapons only take up one slot.
>>
File: RE-Origins-Collection-Ann.jpg (87 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
RE-Origins-Collection-Ann.jpg
87 KB, 600x338
>>320115210
>Snark aside, we shall see how Umbrella Corps turns out.
It already looks terrible and I'll probably end up buying it on sale some time because I'm a sucker for anything RE related.

I'll be purchasing the Origins collection though.
>>
>>320115059
Did RE6 even got good reviews? I know this is lazy, but I checked Metacritic and it got an average of 70 on all 3 platforms

Yeah, sometimes devs and pubs need to take a step back from the internet. Being close to the community is good, but don't let them impact heavily on your products. Then again, sales numbers could easily scare off the publisher's stakeholders too
>>
No, it's an action game instead of horror, keeping elements and some of the feel of the classic gameplay, meaning it's a shit action game.

That's all 6 is. An action game, and it's shit because of it.
>>
>B-BUT IT'S A GOOD ACTION GAME
No, it really fucking isn't.

The controls are really bad whether you use M&K or a controller, the inventory management is complete dogshit, the 'puzzles' and 'scary' segments are boring and insulting wastes of time, and Mercenaries is the only actually good thing in the game.

Even the fucking story and characters suck, aside from Chris's campaign all the stories are pretty terrible, especially Leon's and Ada's.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.