[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What game genre would work best for The Thing? Besides a dating sim.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: maxresdefault.jpg (84 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
84 KB, 1280x720
What game genre would work best for The Thing?

Besides a dating sim.
>>
>>320082868
Horror/stealth, sort of like Alien: Isolation.
>>
File: hahahaohwow.jpg (40 KB, 562x437) Image search: [Google]
hahahaohwow.jpg
40 KB, 562x437
>The Thing dating sim
nice
>>
File: the-thing-game-front-cover.jpg (197 KB, 747x931) Image search: [Google]
the-thing-game-front-cover.jpg
197 KB, 747x931
third-person shooter/psychological horror
>>
Was there an old game like The Thing for DOS or something from that era? I remember an opening cutscene with stomach surgery onto someone, and there was a working eye that looked all around and teeth scattered in his body cavity.
>>
>>320082868
Dead Space
>>
>>320082868
>The Thing dating sim
>There is only the Thing
>Every girl is actually the Thing in another girl's form
>It still has enough difference and consistency between characters that it's impossible to tell until the reveal

That'd be spooky.
>>
>>320082868
there was a WC3 map that was pretty spot on.
8 players, you each had a guy, one of you was the thing, find and kill the thing/ infect all others , glhf.
>>
Something like Until Dawn could work, where you have to follow the clues to figure out who's infected/possesed.

These clues and the infected would change with every play through.
They could be very obvious things like colors schemes, or really subtle like changes in idle animations.
>>
Some sort of dynamic mystery game.

Bunch of people stranded together somewhere and you have to wander around collecting clues trying to figure out who is still who human and who isn't. Who isn't human changes with every play through and you are in constant danger, not being around others is dangerous but being around infected others is equally dangerous.
>>
>Besides a dating sim.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAH YOU'RE SO FUCKING FUNNY OP LIKE LE EPIC ALPACA DATING SIM / JOHN CENA DATING SIM AMIRITE HAHAHHAHAHAHUAHAUHAUHUAHIUAHDUIASHDIUASHDIUASHDIPOUSAHEDWP
>>
Telltale
>>
>>320084308
OP put that part to deter shitposts like yours
>>
A TRUE survival horror game. You're given a room to sleep, like every other person/The Thing. Ammunition is scarce and usually makeshift with items. Add hunger and even needing to use the bathroom, to prevent you from just sitting in your room. Food can also be laced with Things, so canned items are the best to have stockpiled.
You can interrogate others for suspicious behavior or clues. Make barricades for your windows and door, in case of all-out attack (usually if one is found out, of Things outnumber humans). The ability to commit suicide to prevent becoming a Thing.
>>
OPEN WORLD
>>
>>320083852
That game was the fucking best. But every faglord just wanted to meme it up with Dota. Jesus Christ I spent thousands of hours playing footman frenzy, uther party, pyramid escape, tower defense, pest control, real life. And it all got sucked into the dota void. God damnit fuck all you moba faggots. Competitive gaming ruins everything. Can't you shitfaces just have fun?
>>
File: games-3923-GR_shot2[1].jpg (46 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
games-3923-GR_shot2[1].jpg
46 KB, 640x480
Hire Wadjet Eye Games to make it with similar look to Gemini Rue.
>>
>>320084308
Somebody actually devoted time out of his life to type this out.
>>
Action/Slasher style (clocktower?) Adventure game.
Horror elements and overlying feeling of peril.

Set in a small environment you get used to and familiar with,and a cast you can get attached to, that makes you learn the area layout so when the thing gets loose and amalgamates with your.. uh, mates, you need to learn to find the best way out.

Maybe consequences depending on who dies and shit, make it hard to know who really IS the creature.

Oh and lots of awesome body horror morphing and shit.
>>
Survival horror like resident evil with a fixed set of characters and a fixed setting but aside from that a very dynamic experience where the uninfected characters struggle to keep the base operational while the things try to destroy it or infect everyone. Characters would have to eat and sleep or perform key take to keep the station going. The game would also possibly prevent you from doing anything super aggressive before the things presence is actually known so you can't just kill everyone before the thing shows up. Even the manner in which the thing shows up could be random.

No saves or very little saving like a rogue like.
>>
>>320083054
That would be awesome if they could recreate the movie so well in game form like they did with isolation. They'd definitely need a setting much bigger than the outpost though if it was going to have any length to it.
>>
>>320082868
A TellTale game like The Walking Dead.
>>
>>320085765
I don't think you recreate the movie, but take the general concept and expand on it to make it at least an 8-10 hour game.

I'd go the generic route of years later the government has set up a large facility at the crash site to study it since well the government would likely want to study an alien spaceship under the ice. Obviously some get's infected and the situation from the original film takes place, but at a larger scale where there are more people to be worried about. Seems cliche, but that's what made the original film so great. Taking horror concepts and perfecting them such as Isolation, paranoia, "the infected" and "human are the most evil animal" and gore visual effects.

I'd envision a some sort of RNG that determines a seed of which characters are infected and eventually become one of "the thing" through contact with other characters. You could ally yourself with different NPCs if you believe they are not infected or a replacement and that would change the story in some way and potentially help you defeat whatever happens once "the thing(s)" reveal themselves.
>>
>>320082868
>Not Dating the thing

Could have prevented all those deaths
>>
>>320087018

>your choices determine if you survive and what state of repair the station ends up in
>your choices also determine who lives and dies and which characters are bros and which will kill you on sight or flee from you
>finite resources and the cold mean that you can't lock yourself in a room for the whole game
>last mission or the end of the game revolves around the fact that you've accepted if you don't let the station fall into the Antarctic ice then all of humanity is doomed. The characters will help you or hinder you based on your choices and the thing will redouble the effort to stop you
>it's possible that everyone you meet is infected
>it's possible that none are infected
>>
>>320084997
And you replied to it
>>
>>320087593
In this scenario I think you are designing some sort of rogue-like. Which would be replayable with the ultimate win condition being rescued along with all non-infected members of the crew, but maybe not the "true" ending. I think it would be pretty cool to think you have made it and then once you reach civilization you find out one or more of the crew is actually a "thing" and basically the infection spreads, humanity doomed and you get a game over screen even after being rescued. Having multiple endings would also make you want to replay it.

The other route is a set story that can change slightly based on who is infected, but have a set plot. For instance say the communication engineer gets infected and sabotages the communication equipment, that would slow down your rescue and if they aren't infected it could speed it up by an extra day or so. Same with other crew. Say you find out that one of the two people in charge of the food supplies is infected, then more people than you expect could be infected at the beginning of the game and you have to assume everyone could be infected and not just those who came into contact with infected characters.
>>
>>320082868
Space Station 13 if, either everyone isn't a cunt, or something like it where you can beat people over the head with hard limits on abilities ALA the fucking clown and mime.

Clowns frequently shoot themselves in the foot if they try to use guns. Mimes cannot talk, and if they do lose the one unique ability they have.

Impossible, sadly, because people are sort of cunts, meta game a lot, and you would need to mod and beat the game engine and assumptions with a stick to abuse it into a shape supporting "THE THING", really.

But taking people down a notch in terms of what they can easily perceive (field of vision) and having some characters being blithely incompetent at some things, would help. But people like being sues and doing everything. At best, maybe one or two "good" non antag roles should have cross competency at one or two things, and be sort of good at everything.

This would change.

Everyone else is varying degrees of "pure shit", and maybe it would vary from round to round which job got stuff. But definitely, the fucking cook would probably suck eggs most of the time. Unless you got your "cook" ability, but could also elect to be competent at GUNS because you are an Ex-Marine.

You would have blown your whole load on that though. you would have the same blanket special case "WHAT THE FUCK AM I READING?" with science and advanced technical stuff specialzed to other roles.

I like the idea of making it hardcoded so wise asses can't overstep easily.

I mean, it's done in special case roles anyways. Monkies can't really do some shit even if they can shank you with a kitchen knife and wear hats, drones/mommies can't throw things, and various other things variously can't wear stuff, or use certain items, etc. Like how Zombies are dumbtarded and cannot into switches.
>>
what about like an online game where all players start as human, at the start of the round each players would be given the task to collect items to help survive in the cold climate, flame thrower flares gas whatever, at some point in the round one player would become infected without altering the rest of the team. The goal then is for them to kill off or infect the other players while sabotaging the environment like cutting the power destroying things.

gameplay would be similar in a sense to that GMOD gamemode trouble in terrorist town where the whole team is guessing who is infected, suspicion would lead to random accusations and killing of people suspected, even those not infected. Game ends when the Thing or Things are killed or the team is killed
>>
File: Ice.jpg (14 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
Ice.jpg
14 KB, 400x266
>>320082868
>What game genre would work best for The Thing?
co-op TPS with a 'infection mechanic' where a player can become infected, but only THEY know they are... and as they progress, the infected player needs to keep it secret (otherwise the team have to turn on them), but will also have to 'feed' their alien selves (i.e., undertake some unique tasks), which could give their secret away

they all have to continue to the same goal -- getting out of the base and away from The Thing, but unbeknownst to the team, one (or more) of its members is already The Thing

there can also be a 'testing' mechanic that can be undertaken, but perhaps a 'lab' of some kind must be found in order to do this (no something immediately or easily doable)

weapons should be based only loosely on actual firearms, with flamethrowers, molotovs, improvised weaponry being the order of the day

player's should take persistent 'damage' -- if they're injured severely (e.g., a limb incapacitated), they lose whatever abilities are tied to that particular body part

no music per say, only that Ennio Morricone theme when events reach a crescendo; otherwise only eerie silence, wind, creeks etc, punctuate by ungodly, otherworldly screeching if / when The Thing is confronted

the game should not be some 40-hour grindy adventure with developer obtruded narrative, rather a for the nonce experience; like a death match, only longer (2-4 hours).

characters should be fully customisable in appearance and stored as the player's avatar

cold should play a factor (assuming an Antarctic / Arctic setting), perhaps in encumbering players with respect to speed, agility, stamina etc

fire, obviously, should be incorporated heavily -- being the effective life source it is in extreme cold environments
>>
>>320091427
I'd play the shit out of this game.
>>
>>320091427
also, no one 'has to' becoming infect in any given game... that's the hook -- you just don't know if and when someone might become so

infection should not be some RNG bullscat -- instead, something in the environ (inc. The Thing itself) can infect them (e.g., stepping on an infected syringe in a lab or drinking from an infected canister of water)

persistent progression could be used, allowing players to slowly improve stats: running a lot increases overall stamina; climbing -- strength

the game may also be class based, with there being limits to how many of a given class can be in any given party (e.g., only one medic, only one 'leader')
>>
>>320082868
Survival horror mixed with visual novel's dialogs (ala Danganrompa or some shit).
>>
>>320091828
The Thing has so much potential that only an abject retard developer (or E.A.) could fuck it up... all that's need is the love of the source material and to not fall into the trope trough like a money-hungry swine... then the game would [eventually] sell millions (think: Vampire Bloodlines)

I actually cannot believe they haven't remade this license as a game since the Ps2/XB/PC... it's like modern devs are all gen-Y autists who haven't been exposed to good material or are simply under the thumb of games corpora$tion$ who want as little investment as possible for the quickest possible return
>>
>>320083135
Came here to post this.
>>
>>320082868
Jrpg, fighting game
>>
>>320084431
>>320086220
You people are cancer
>>
>>320083135
Do you mean survival horror?
>>
>>320092285
sadly, it's the latter anon. Instant gratification, they want money as quick as possible. It's all become about the money; think of it like a business. How can you minimize effort and maximize profit?
It's fucking sad. You hardly see anyone produce games solely from the passion in their hearts. No Man's Sky is the latest game I've seen where a developer actually cared a great deal about their game.
>>
>>320093445
fuck off Sean
>>
>>320091427
Reminds me of Morbus.
>>
There is gamemode "infected" in garrys mod. It's not bad but game is way too fast for you to be actually terrified.
>>
>>320092285
The Thing as a ton of potential, but in order to do it right it would take a ton of money. Even getting the license itself is probably something only a major publisher like EA could swing, and they won't do it because it's not really a viable guaranteed money making move.

I'd love to see it but the reality of the situation is it's a business. Nothing gets AAA money if it's risky and making something radically different from the norm. Especially something with 35 year old source material not called Star Wars.
>>
File: 1320300796683.jpg (5 KB, 170x213) Image search: [Google]
1320300796683.jpg
5 KB, 170x213
>>320084882
I remember I played an horror game in the same engine, you were chased by some kind of Jason in a space ship.
Not sure if it was made by them though
>>
>>320093715
shit, their onto me.
say what you will about the game, regardless if it's shit i like that they actually give a damn about the game aren't just shitting out some unoriginal bullshit for money.
>>
>>320082868
probably not a straight up dating sim but i think you have something going for a thing VN
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.