[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
One of the things that makes Souls games enjoyable is the sense
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: 546345375675.jpg (375 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
546345375675.jpg
375 KB, 1600x900
One of the things that makes Souls games enjoyable is the sense of accomplishment and progression. When you beat a boss or find a secret, it feels like something significant.

So - are there any MMOs that offer the same sort of feeling? Like you can actually feel like you've accomplished something when you play?
I'm guessing "no", but I thought I'd ask anyway.
>>
File: FFXI2007.jpg (272 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
FFXI2007.jpg
272 KB, 1280x800
Pre-WoW MMOs were like this. They've all been updated to be more casual, though
>>
EVE maybe?
>>
>>320075690
Xenoblade, probably.
>>
>>320075690
Well EVE has some pretty great stories since most of it is player driven.
Like some guys were hired in game to bring down a player ran corporation, so they slowly rose through the ranks of the corporation until they were high ranking members, one of them was like number 3 in the company.

And then in one fell swoop they assassinated the leader and destroyed the entire company.

That actually happened.

But chances are you personally won't experience those crazy things.
>>
While not really an MMO since there can only ever be 32 players in one area at a time, Elite Dangerous is like this.

>Be in my tiny little Vulture
>Fully upgraded
>Just flying around the System I chose to be my "Home"
>See a player jump in
>This is weird, this system is like right on the edge of civilized space
>Take a look at him
>Fucking Python
>Fucking pirate (Pirate paintjob)
>I fucking hate pirates. Even NPC pirates.
>Knock him out of supercruise
>Immediately open fire. I don't negotiate with pirates
>Somehow I knock his cargo hatch open
>FUCKING SLAVES
>Now I'm pissed
>Half hull
>He's trying everything he can to get away, but I keep tracking him down once he jumps from the fight
>Kaboom mother fucker
>Two fucking million credit bounty
>Spend the rest of the day going to each system cashing that shit in.
>>
With the right people ff14. I remember the feeling of clearing t7 and t6, and it was glorious
>>
Monster Hunter in a way.
>>
>>320081104

>monster hunter in a way

>in a way

There's a reason why the Souls games are called "baby's first Monster Hunter"
>>
>>320081104
Monster Hunter is just a bunch of big health sponge enemies. There's no challenge there, just tedium.
>>
>>320081267
No, it's not. Fuck off.
>>
File: 2015-12-13 01_47_56-Vindictus.png (440 KB, 584x704) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-13 01_47_56-Vindictus.png
440 KB, 584x704
Vindictus. lvl 60 raids and up are genuinely challenging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt_WBAWilx4
>>
>>320081745
if your garbage.
>>
>>320081267
Lmao no one says this
>>
>>320082054
>Vindictus
lol :)
>>
>>320082054
>vindictus
>challenging

its shit pham
>>
>>320075690
>le dark souls is challenging meme

>>>out
>>
>>320082528
But it is you fucking faggot

But I'm sure you're ASSFAGGOT that thinks defending towers is the bee knees
>>
>>320075690
>One of the things that makes Souls games enjoyable is the sense of accomplishment and progression. When you beat a boss or find a secret, it feels like something significant.

Why do people talk as if this is something that is rare in videogames? Whenever I see reviews or talks about the Souls games, people always say variations of what you said. It's as if videogames before Souls have never had any sense of accomplishment or progression.

What kind of games do these Souls fans play aside from Souls? Did they only play casual cellphone games before they played Souls? Is that why they've never felt any sense of progression or accomplishment before they played Souls? Is that they constantly gush about progression or accomplishment in these games?
>>
>>320081797
>>320082171

Everyone says this. Dark Souls has artificial difficulty which comes in the form of "hurr durr you lose your souls if you die twice!"

It's tedious and retarded. Coupled with cheap boss abilities that are meant to frustrate instead of providing a challenge it's basically baby's first Monster Hunter.
>>
>>320081745
That means nothing if you're competent at the game and have at least two people fighting while using a fraction of their brain cells.
>>
>>320083647
>Losing progress when you die is artificial difficulty

God forbid you ever play Contra or Metal Slug, fucking casual.
>>
>>320075690
wildstar has that feeling. then when you get better gear you can go back to previous content and kill everything with no effort, also like dark souls.
>>
>>320083847

>losing progress

>solved by grinding for 10 minutes

Yeah it's not losing progress if all you do is have to sit there and reset the fucking game to fix what was lost.

There is no penalty to dying in Lost souls, in all honesty. You lose souls? Whoopdefuckingdo. You can grind them back in less than ten minutes.
>>
>>320080172
That's actually kinda cool anon, I may try this.
Did you get the addons too?
>>
>>320083647

Monhunfags are the new soulsfags in terms of being annoying idiot manbabies
>>
>>320084104
What are you even trying to coma in about right now? Weren't we fucking talking about how what you're saying has nothing to do with MH?
>>
>>320084104
Player level still increases making mobs harder and you become under funded if you continue to lose
>>
>>320084104
>You can grind them back in less than ten minutes.

It's funny, really, that people call the Souls games punishing. It's not really all that punishing when the game allows you to do things like this. It would be punishing if enemies in the game stopped giving you souls after a certain point. Dying often would be punishing in this sense. But it doesn't happen in the game. You can lose 100,000 souls and all you have to do is grind it all back.

Punishing would be games like the original Devil May Cry 3 on the PS2. You die? You return all the way back to the start of the level. No mercy. You used up your item? You don't get it back again. You used up an item that was found in the level and died? Well, once you return to that part of the level, you can't find that item again. Purchasable items also become more and more expensive. Not to mention the games don't actually have a level-up system, so no falling back on RPG stats as crutches. The game forces you to get good.
>>
>>320082054
Started playing yesterday. Level 16 shield lady (Fiona I think). I'm enjoying it so far. Is shield lady good? I recently learned I can grab enemies and break their backs on my knee, was pretty excited.

Also, I was in my first group today and everything melted before I could do anything, there was 3 others, it was not fun and it was on hard difficulty.
>>
>>320083647
>Not dying two times in a row is tedious

Christ
>>
>>320084916
They made the game incredibly easy all the way up to level 70 pretty much. The game just isn't fun until you reach the more challenging things quite frankly.

Also, the shield is best, and later on in raids if you're good you'll pretty much be the last man standing every time. Counterattack is too op. Don't use large shields.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.