[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Final Fantasy is NOT action combat!!!! It's all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 8
>"Final Fantasy is NOT action combat!!!! It's all wrong!"
>meanwhile FFXV: episode Duscae

You must never have experienced the best combat final fantasy has ever had to offer, apparently.
>>
File: finalabortion15.png (390 KB, 2665x1133) Image search: [Google]
finalabortion15.png
390 KB, 2665x1133
dead on arrival
>>
It's been a decade since it was announced and it's still not out yet. I understand it wasn't actually in development all this time, but this is still ridiculous.
>>
Im wondering how the equipment and shit will work
Im a fan of use every weapon you like, but not "just use every weapon and every skill whenever you like at the same time"
Ive not played the demo, but i havent seen equipment gameplays
>>
Even the devs admitted the combat is the worst part.
>>
The combat was alright. I found the ep fun but I'm still a turned based fag
>>
>>320070189
>using youtube comments as anything but a joke

>>320070330
>Ive not played the demo, but i havent seen equipment gameplays

I keep hoping they'll release a mainline title where you actually equip different clothing and accessories show up on your person. Black clothes all the time is the real disappointment.
>>
>>320070330
Speculating, but from the way Noctis weapon customization worked from the demo it seems like you will probably acquire new special weapons throughout the game with specific special effects you can organize through your combo list and counters. The demo gave you 5 and its unclear if those are it but I'm willing to bet there is more stuff
>>
People against active combat, but for turn based are fucking retarded moronic casuals.

Turn based combat was a product of it's time, it was a product of the limits within the console architecture that was available at the time.
They wanted something deeper than just hitting that action games offered, but with the addition of magic and multiple aggressors and such.
But the consoles couldn't handle it.
So they went with turn based combat, with minimal AI.
It stuck that was for years because it's what was easy to recreate.

But it was, and still is, brain dead simple. No actual thought goes into designing it, or playing it.
It's a skirt.

Action combat, with the console architecture we have now, allows for active AI, magic, strategy, and real time combat.
It's a step up from turn based combat, not a step down.
It builds upon it, it doesn't subtract from it.
It literally incorporates ever element of turned based combat, and then builds on and improves on them, even adding more.
>>
>>320070189
Youtube comments are half the time completely bait attempts

I can't know for sure because of how the internet works, but I can't believe people are really that stubborn or ignorant
>>
>>320070634
>I keep hoping they'll release a mainline title where you actually equip different clothing and accessories show up on your person. Black clothes all the time is the real disappointment.
Me too man, i mean cmon square, too much black.
>>
>>320069917
If Episode Duscae was the best they could offer, why did they completely change the battle system afterwards? Full version will have weapon switching on the fly and not the per-determined weapons for certain combo actions.

Stop being a shill, even the developers knew there was stuff missing with the demo combat so they changed it.
>>
>>320071115
How cuhrazy is the combat in XV going to be
>>
>>320071115
I hope square uses the demo to improve the battle system and other stuff
From what i've seen, its not bad, but it could be better.
>>
>>320071115
Duscae is the best they currently have to offer because its playable and the change made to the full game isn't. Not like it's going to make it worse or make it drastically different so I don't even get the reasoning behind posting thing familia

Of course there was stuff missing, the game is still a year and maybe even more away, you can tell there was things missing when they released a patch for the demo based on what wasn't working
>>
>>320071632
XV will be out in 2016
>>
>>320069917
>the best combat final fantasy has ever had to offer
I thought the demo's combat was alright for being so limited, but it's far FAAAR from the best in the series.
>>
>>320070834
Naw Brah Bravely Default showed that turned based combat is just as good. The monsters aren't stupid you have to think when you use the default system.

ARPGfags are fucking cancer
>>
>>320071437
>I hope square uses the demo to improve the battle system and other stuff
Like that guy said, the actual game will have manual weapon switching unlike the demo so they're already doing that.
>>
File: Screenshot 2013-05-01 07.08.36.png (56 KB, 178x210) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2013-05-01 07.08.36.png
56 KB, 178x210
>>320071735
>implying there will ever a new final fantasy game within the next 10 years

kek, nice naivete there bud
>>
>>320071940
>the actual game will have manual weapon switching unlike the demo so they're already doing that.
How do people know that? interview?
>>
>>320071115
Don't forget Noctis uses guns now
>>
>>320071847
No.
I beat Bravely Default.
It was a simple turn based RPG.
The combat was simple, predictable.
The monsters always did the exact same stupid and predictable things. There was no skill or fun involved in the combat, it was just "okay use this magic".

Turn based RPGs are the cancer.
>>
File: 1363832416085.jpg (57 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1363832416085.jpg
57 KB, 300x200
>>320072105
They confirmed it on the forum.
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/30/final-fantasy-xv-changes-up-its-weapon-switching-system/

>>320071847
>>320072160
>acting like one system is inherently better or worse than another when they're not even comparable
>>
>>320071847
Bravely Default was nothing more than decent, which is sometimes even worse than being bad
>>
>>320072384
spoonfeed me since i havent played the demo and i might not understand
Can i just use swords or just Lances, for example?
>>
>>320072693
In the demo there were 5 slots:
>one for the first hit in a combo
>one for the middle of the combo
>a finisher
>counterattacks
>aerial attacks
and you set one weapon into each slot. In the final game, there are four slots you can change between with the d-pad and 2 slots for counters and aerial attacks, which can be ignored in favour of your currently equipped weapon.
tl;dr: Yes, you can use just a single weapon.
>>
>>320069917
I don't know why, but every Final Fantasy seems to have a strange alluring power over me. Here's the list as it goes:

FFIV: Had me addicted as fuck when I was a kid. Loved everything about it.

FFV: I wen't nuts as soon as I saw the job customization system. Tinkered with it a lot, but got bored at some point... the actual gameplay didn't had a lot of novelty I guess...

FFVI: When I got my hands on a copy, I already had played Chrono Trigger and thought:"got dammit, new this is JRPG", and I think that made it impossible for me to enjoy FFVI, I never found myself invested enough to finish it, although I've played a great portion of it and found the story to be quite interesting.

FFVIII: "Played" it a friends house, I didn't had a PSX at the time, OMFG that graphix, that level of customization, that Triple Triad, this has got to be the pinnacle of video games!

FFX: Saw some kids playing it at the mall and thought: "OMFG! The characters are voiced! I have to play it!" Rushed through it and enjoyed it, but not very much.

FFXII: Played for a few hours and got bored... I don't really know why.

FFVII: Several years later, tried to play it on PC via emulator, then again on psp, then again on PS3 but jesus christ... I can't. It looks, sounds, and plays very bad and slow paced... maybe I'll be able to join the other kids in the FFVII sensation when the remake comes out.

FFXIII: Played for a few hours and got bored...

FFXIII-LR: Amazing! Had lot's of fun with it and everything, gameplay wise felt fresh.

FFXIV-ARR: World of Warcraft with Final Fantasy skin. Totally worth it! Played 400+ hours and loved every second of it.

I hope FFXV doesn't disappoint. =(
>>
>>320073553
This looks like bait, but you probably just aren't into this style of the genre or the problem may just be you haven't played the superior game that is FF9
>>
>>320073779
no dude, I swear to god that I was never really able to play FF9. I was dating a girl at the time when it came out, also I wasted a lot of time with sports too. When I got my senses back, FFX was already out. I still plan on doing it though.
>>
>>320069917
Played it recently. All they have to do is let each attack go by button -- none of that "hold square button to continuously attack." Dodging and jump-dodging can be fun
>>
>>320074846
is it combo based, anon? I mean, like DMC and Bayonetta? Where if you delay the last attack, it changes and so on.
cause if it is, I can imagine that "hold button to continuously attack" being an issue... but if it is like Kingdom Hearts where every time the combo is the same and you only tweak the output by customizing a thing or two, then I don't see a problem with the holding.
>>
Duscae's combat is really shit though, seriously.
>>
>>320070189
>the fact that they drive around in a car completely ruins it for me
Stopped reading there. Who doesn't like car games?
>>
>>320071035
I don't know, I've seen plenty of posts from /v/ that have said similar things. Maybe that says more about the quality of/v/ nowdays than anything else.
>>
>>320075663
The reality aesthetic of this game is like my favorite part so far. Seeing NPC's, outside of the plot characters of course, dressed like normal human beings or summoning Ramuh to kill a elephant/mammoth dinosaur creature and then walking a couple meters to a paved highway with cars passing by. It's surreal
>>
So Final Fantasy really made the jump from jrpg to the same mind numbing button mashing samey action game as every other series out there?

Whelp, time to move onto a new series I guess.
>>
>>320076880
>FF turn based gameplay
>not mind-numbing
>>
>>320070634
>what is lightning returns
As mainline as it gets if you're talking besides 11 and 14
>>
>>320076880
There was never anything really interesting or rewarding in final fantasy combat. It's a tolerated aspect of the franchise and for each game

FF8 was the absolute worst with what they did with summons. You want to talk about mind numbing, look no further than that steaming shit pile. Legit only good part of that game was the opening fmv
>>
>>320076880
No it made the jump from braindead turn based to engaging action RPG combat with depth
>>
>>320069917
>You must never have experienced the best combat final fantasy has ever had to offer, apparently.
X-2 was a long time ago.

15s combat is objectively fucking bad though, it wants to be Kingdom Hearts so badly but doesn't have either the fluidity or the responsiveness of it.
>>
>>320072160
>Bravely Default
>magic
Doesn't seem like you played it at all, anon.
>>
>>320079165
>le cooldown cards
kingdom hearts combat is ok but nothing to overly praise, it's not as tight or fluid as you say
Ff15 looks fluid and all that, but no way of knowing until the game releases in 2027
>>
>>320078926
Nah the FMV at the end of disc 1 was amazing
>>
>>320079315
>>le cooldown cards
I don't even know what this means

KH2:FM has the tightest Action JRPG combat to date. FF15 is not remotely fluid at all, even after the demo rework, it still handles like shit and isn't fun to play.
>>
>>320079296
Maybe he played Four Heroes of Light. theyre basically the same thing
>>
>>320070189
Holy shit it's just like /v/
>>
>>320079443
Talking about how your entire moves set and stuff is just a few individual moves with cooldowns on them
and using those is not very fluid, you just use a spell and shuffle onto the next and repeat with a heal or something I between
>>
File: monster hunter:dragon's dogma.webm (2 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
monster hunter:dragon's dogma.webm
2 MB, 800x450
>>320079057
this tbqhf
>>
>>320070189

>"That blonde chick is really hot, but Noctis looks like Sasuke taking female hormones it's making me puke!"

>"Yeah, Sasuke looks cool but Noctis almost looks Gay..."

Holy shit, these posts have to be fake.
>>
>>320079165
No XV is a action RPG with depth to it, it uses weighted weapons with weapon switching perfectly timed hits, abilities, combos with crush straight to vanquish, parries, counters, dodges, warps, knightsguard etc, not mindless mash like KH

It already plays better and is more engaging than any other FF
>>
>>320079443
XV is the most fluid action RPG ever

Everything flows together with perfect animation and it is perfectly responsive

Stop playing it wrong
>>
>>320080096
a store near me still has type 0 day one edition with the demo but it costs like $80
do I get
I've been waiting for a sale because I've already played the psp ver but I just want the demo
>>
>>320079950
>>320080096
Alright nevermind, no point trying to argue with false flaggers / shills. The game is trying too hard to incorporate things JRPGs don't allow for, play a pure combat focussed game like DMC4 or Bayonetta and realise how shit 15 feels in comparison. I'd rather my JRPGs stay turn based or like Kingdom Hearts.
>>
>>320080282
>The game is trying too hard to incorporate things JRPGs don't allow for

What is it about JRPG's that intrinsically don't allow for action combat, other than nostalgia goggle, "i'm an old soul gamer man" bullshit
>>
>>320077732
>kh action combat
>not as mind-numbing as musou
>>
I never got the complaint about "hold square to auto-attack". You can argue that it makes the combat less engaging and I can agree with that, but if you were expecting something CUHRAYZEE, I don't know what to tell you.

XV is probably better in Tabata's hands than Nomura's anyways, Type-0 is basically a better Kingdom Hearts as far as gameplay goes.
>>
>>320080282
XV isn't an action game like DMC or bayonetta nor is it trying to be you retard

XV is an action RPG with manual weapon switching with every weapon being weighted weapons with their own stats range level, attributes and abilities, it has objectively the most fluid animation an action RPG has ever had let alone most games, you use perfect timing to string from crush to vanquish, to parry and counter, to dodge roll and perfect guard, to knightsguard and warp dodge, to warp strike and follow up with a descend attack, magic allows you to use the entire environment such as setting grass on fire to harm enemies and this requires Tactics and placement, with aerial combat and phantom abilities all bringing out more skill based play etc

KH is just mindless combos, not even remotely close to having the depth XV already has
>>
can i play the demo without buying Type-0 HD
>>
>>320080613
XV plays nothing like KH tho, XV has actual depth to how you play and with RPG strategy you set up via your weapon deck and switching, parries and party coop slash-link etc
>>
>>320071847
bravely default has one of the most simplistic and overrated combat systems ever made
>>
>>320081075
does type 0 BLUR still have the motion blur
I mean the dub is shit enough but the motion blur gives me cranberry aids
>>
>>320081075
I believe they said a new demo was coming out sometime next year.
>>
>>320081232
4heroes of light combat system is better imo
>>
>>320081075
They are releasing a new free demo next year around March, you are better off waiting for that because they will be adding in more complete features
>>
>>320080613
turn based combat in final fantasy makes the combat in dynasty warriors look like a complex masterpiece
>>
>>320073553
>I already had played Chrono Trigger and thought:"got dammit, new this is JRPG", and I think that made it impossible for me to enjoy FFVI
agree with this. I don't see how anybody can play Chrono Trigger and still enjoy FFVI. They're too similar but CT is better in every way.
>>
>>320071262
noctis will essentially be this guy with guns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W59Cx458B-M
>>
File: real life in my animes?.webm (2 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
real life in my animes?.webm
2 MB, 720x404
>>320081075
Don't pay $80 for a demo

at best only pay $30 for one like ground zeroes

;^)
>>
>>320081581
Pretty much why I played FF6 about 3 times and have only gotten half way on Chrono Trigger

never got to play it first
>>
>>320081264
It was patched on consoles and is at least tolerable now.
>>
>>320081581
I'm a huge rpg fag and I honestly don't like chrono trigger
Furthest I've got trying to enjoy it was playing the DS version then just playing monster arena because the rest of the game was boring
>>
To be honest FFXV has one of the absolute best animation I have seen in a videogame, holy shit does that make my eyes orgasm, specially after the shitty animation that Fallout 4 had, I'm buying, yes, buying the game just because of the smooth as hell animation blending. fuck every turn-based faggot,
>>
so, anybody have some sick webms of this game's combat in action?
>>
File: FFXV 4.webm (3 MB, 750x420) Image search: [Google]
FFXV 4.webm
3 MB, 750x420
>>320083236
enjoy familia
>>
File: literal fucking autism.jpg (532 KB, 2068x956) Image search: [Google]
literal fucking autism.jpg
532 KB, 2068x956
>>320070189
>This literal fucking samefagging autist every thread.
>>
>>320083627
I AM THE BONE OF MY SWORD as fuck
>>
I played the demo and I felt like it was pretty enjoyable. The only thing I hate is that you can't play as any other characters.
>>
>>320069917
>reskinned KH that's even more just mash X
>good
>>
>>320073553
>no IX
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.