[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've just finished this gem. Comparing the combat to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: Edgy.jpg (142 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Edgy.jpg
142 KB, 800x450
So I've just finished this gem. Comparing the combat to xillia and zestria the gameplay was much smoother and fun.

Besides the annoying kid and cat the rest of the characters are ok and the story was pretty interesting.
Was Faize ending real? And the Crowe ending was beyond asspull

The Star ocean 5 hype is real.
>>
File: 1449127391754.png (113 KB, 241x255) Image search: [Google]
1449127391754.png
113 KB, 241x255
I fell for the premise.
The game started really good, as a science-fiction RPG with a codex that tried to explain everything in the most detailed way possible.

Then it went to shit in the second planet, with typical fantasy RPG creatures and suddenly fucking magic because symbols and shit, no more explanation about how the fuck does magic work.
I grew increasingly mad during the god awful alien lizard mothership and finally gave up when you go to alternate past Earth.
>>
Grats OP. You have terrible taste.
>>
>>320031337
>Then it went to shit in the second planet, with typical fantasy RPG creatures and suddenly fucking magic because symbols and shit, no more explanation about how the fuck does magic work.

What if they called them artes would you be ok with it then? Does it matter what its called?

>>320031553
Ok
>>
>>320032172
Would be irrelevant. Magic, symbology, artes, any name is irrelevant if it's still fucking magic with no explanation beyond "you use symbols".
>>
>>320030001
I don't know how you can say that the combat is better than Xillia and Zestiria. It feels like complete shit compared to those two. Your basic attack is slow as shit and you're locked into what's pretty much the "semi-auto" mode of Tales games. Not only that but you can only equip 2 skills for instant use. Blindside is also a pretty shitty mechanic, because of how easy it is. You literally just have to hold circle and then move in a direction when the enemy decides to so much as look at you. Take a look at Jude's snap pivot from Xillia and that's exactly what blindside should have been. Jumping also has a delay to it so you can't use it to dodge out of the way, you can't block attacks either as it's done automatically. The combat also has these strange pauses and framerate drops. Like when you use Edge's Rising Slash the game just sort of pauses, for the longest time, I thought it was some kind of framerate drop, but no, it's intentional. Barring the character models though, the game itself does look pretty, way nicer than any Tales game at least.
>>
>>320032314
Why does it matter though. Magic is fiction anyway. What would be the point of explaining it anyway?
>>
File: 1413862782023.png (136 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1413862782023.png
136 KB, 320x240
>>320030001
>Gem
>SO4
>Good combat
>>
>>320032397

Every single action has a billion windup and recovery frames that you can't cancel out of or do anything about. In a more competent game it could be to make you commit and think carefully about your moves, but the enemies are braindead and the game is piss-easy anyways so all it does is make the shallow and spammy combat feel even more like garbage.
>>
>>320030001
SO4's story was fucking horrible

1-3 were good. 5 will be good.
>>
>>320032556
>implying SO4 has bad combat
You can sit on a lot of things about SO4 but the combat is one of the best shits ever.
>>
>>320033137
>Give the enemies the same rage system you have, making them stronger and immune to flinching, effectively punishing you for trying to kill them

Its not a good mechanic as it drags battles out for fucking ever, what fucking game PUNISHES you for ATTACKING the ENEMY?
>>
File: Star-Ocean-5-E3-2015-28.jpg (96 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
Star-Ocean-5-E3-2015-28.jpg
96 KB, 1200x675
>>320030001
How did we go from OP's pic...
...to this abomination?
>>
>>320033137

What's good about it? Its slow and clumsy, there's no depth to it, enemies are braindead, the only thing keeping you from stunlocking bosses to death is the game haphazardly making them go into super armor mode after three hits.
>>
>>320033362
If I hit you, Im sure you would get mad.
>>
File: 1448925998926.png (274 KB, 438x671) Image search: [Google]
1448925998926.png
274 KB, 438x671
>>320033470
>Those lips
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.