[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: We discuss the best possible way to play each Final Fantasy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: final-fantasy-nes-logo-73933.png (85 KB, 830x357) Image search: [Google]
final-fantasy-nes-logo-73933.png
85 KB, 830x357
ITT: We discuss the best possible way to play each Final Fantasy game. After some deliberation, I've come to these conclusions:

>I
20th Anniversary Edition for PSP (You could get this on 3DS instead if you really care about added stereoscopic 3D)
>II
20th Anniversary Edition for PSP
>III
Steam version, which from what I can tell is a slightly upgraded version of the DS remake
>IV
If you want 3D graphics (which imo aren't very good), go for the Steam edition. If you want very good 2D graphics, go for the PSP edition. The PSP version also has a remake of The After Years and an Interlude connecting IV with it, if you really care about that stuff.
>V
GBA version. That is, unless you don't mind the Steam edition's horrible GUI and sloppy environmental graphics.
>VI
SNES version + Ted Woolsey Uncensored with Bugfixes patch. The GBA version has bugfixes and a more accurate translation, but imo the patch provides both of those but with the fun of Ted Woolsey's original localization. Plus, the GBA version has an ugly brightened palette and inferior sound even with the Sound Restoration patch.
>VII
PS1/PSN. The only reason to own the PC versions is add mods including buxfixes and some updated field models, but those don't look right doing animations intended for the original super low-poly field models, plus super well-rendered polygons atop low-res prerendered backgrounds does not look cohesive at all. I'm pretty sure the PSN version has an option for a softening filter, but if you wanna just emulate on PC, make sure you have a shader to soften out the whole image and make it look right.
>VIII
I haven't looked into this much, but the PS1 version is probably better. The PC version may have low-quality FMVs, and I know for sure that you'd have to patch the (superior) original PS1 soundtrack in.
>IX
PSN, unless you'd like to emulate it on PC to make the 3D graphics look better, though that would be silly unless you like high fidelity 3D graphics atop pre-rendered backgrounds.
>>
Are the best versions of I and II really the PSP ports? They're stupidly easy, just WAY too easy, and I remember I being kind of a challenge in Origins on PSX. It doesn't really matter tho since I and II are shit.

The PSP graphics of IV are terrible, just terrible. Not clean at all, the font is a huge mess, the battle sprites are fairly generic, the shadows are horrible, it's a pretty horrible and generic game art for a port, really.

5-9, original versions are the best.
>>
Cont'd
>X
If you like the original version's sonudtrack better, you'll have to stick with the original PS2 edition. If that doesn't bother you, then obviously go for the HD version on PS4.
>XI
PC. But is this even active anymore?
>XII
PS2 is literally the only way to play it. If your comp can run PCSX2 well, play it in that for HD graffix.
>XIII
PC version with updates, or just PS3 if you don't want to bother with all that.
>XIV
Obviously, PC is the only way to play it. I think I heard this one's only good after some updates.
>>
File: 1387214194370.gif (657 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1387214194370.gif
657 KB, 500x281
>tfw playing VII on PSP
>>
>>320026136
That must be amazing, the small screen probably makes the graphics look pretty good
>>
>>320025504
XI is dead and XIV is dying
>>
>>320024716
FFIII on Steam is basically a lazy port of the Android version, just like the other old FF games, it's not "upgraded" at all.
FFIV on DS is better in my opinion. It have new stuff, the graphics are nice, and the UI is better on DS than on Steam/Android.
Playstation Classic is just a "free" emulator installed on your console/portable with paid ISOs.
>>
I thought the best version of 3 was the psp version since steam is just a mobile port.
>>
>>320025504
>>X
>If you like the original version's sonudtrack better, you'll have to stick with the original PS2 edition. If that doesn't bother you, then obviously go for the HD version on PS4.

The PS4 version has an original/remix soundtrack option. The PS3/Vita version, does not. So all in all, PS4 version is the best.
>>
>>320026312
I know on the Vita it does.
I tried emulation, anything bigger than a phone screen just makes it look so damn bad.
>>
>>320026410
IV on DS is also much more challenging with many new boss mechanics and such
>>
>>320026635
Thanks, I didn't even know that
>>
>>320025504
XI is only active on PC. Recently it got the some patches that are part of a big, final update that will give an actual ending to the story. After that the game will only get maintenance and QoL patches, but will stay active.
XIV will drop PS3 support on the next expansion, it is basically a trap at this point since you have to buy the game again to play it on a different platform.
>>
okay but what's the best way to play each Dragon Quest
>>
>>320025504
The ps4 version of ffx let's you choose the original music PLUS it has all the International version content.
>>
File: 1449900726581.png (1 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1449900726581.png
1 MB, 1280x960
Emulation is the best way to play 1 - 9. You'll want dem CRT shaders to filter the pre-rendered backgrounds of 7 - 9, and the pixel art of 1 - 6.
>>
>>320026635
> all in all, PS4 version is the best.
Aside from the awful new faces for the characters.
>>
>>320026997
GBC DS and 3DS. Fuck dqx
>>
>>320026997
Pasta from some other anon:
>Play either a fan translation or the GBC versions of these games. They are directly related
1: Play at some point if you really start getting in to the series.
2: A sequel to one with one of the most insane difficulty spikes in all of gaming, you can skip it.
3: Some people like it, some don't. Serves as, and spoilers, a prequel to 1

>Play the DS remakes of these, they are related only in the theme of Zenithians
4: I found it a lot of fun. You hardly play as the hero, though, instead doing about half the game split in to different scenarios with "side" characters that eventually form your final party. The story is fun but not too memorable.
5: Between this and 8 you have the best two games of the series and it's hard to tell which one is better. Introduces monster taming, spans the life of the hero, great story, great waifus Bianca 4 lyf and is all-around a great fuckin' game.
6: I'm just starting this one. I have no idea how good it is.

>Set aside a month or so and dedicate your life to this
7: Probably one of the longest games ever made. Can be very slow (it takes roughly 5 hours to hit your first battle), and I personally did not get very far

>10/10 GOTYAY
8: Just fucking play it

>If you have a DS, you could be playing worse games
9: Filled with a shitload of puns and accents, incredibly light-hearted. Not being serious enough is a bit of a turn-off for me, but it's still cute. Neat little class system, everyone ever is customizable, but online support is now gone IIRC.

>SIDEGAMES
>Dragon Warrior Monsters
Play 1 and a version of 2 (both GBC) in that order.
Feel free to skip DQM: Joker and DQM: Joker 2. It's just not the same.
Caravan Heart never existed, save yourself some time

>Rocket Slime
I've heard really good things but never personally played it
>>
>>320027269
Some people don't like 3? The fan-translated SuFamicom version is one of my favorite games of all time.
>>
>>320024716
>I
PSP
>II
PSP
>III
Steam
>IV
PSP/GBA
>V
Steam
>VI
GBA
>VII
Steam
>VIII
Steam
>IX
PC Emulator
>X
PS4
>>
Pretty Good list but adendums.

I+II: Final Fantasy Origins. Has the bugfixes that the original versions needed without the dumbed down difficulty of every version after it. Seriously. Not the PSP version. No.

III: It's worth noting that with the changes they made to it the original NES version is halfway to being a completely different game.

IV: DS/PC version is drastically different from the original/PSX/GBA/PSP version. I personally love the DS remake, but the differences are significant enough that I'd play both editions.
>>
>>320025168
Fuck off back to reddit.
>>
I have I, II, IV, V and VI on GBA
I, II and V on PSP
V, VII on iOS/PC
VI on iOS

>I
PSP
>II
PSP
>IV
GBA
>V
iOS/Steam
>VI
iOS
>VII
iOS/Steam
>>
What's so bad about IV on GBA? I have it and it's okay
>>
File: 1419886644794.png (50 KB, 350x362) Image search: [Google]
1419886644794.png
50 KB, 350x362
>>320024716
>recommending shitty android ports
>recommending shitty PC ports of shitty android ports
>not just playing the originals or the remakes with emulators
>>
>>320027571
I think the 3D version of IV is better.
The 2D remake is more faithful to the original though
>>
>>320024716
I like the gba version for the added content more than the snes version, to be honest
>>
>>320027757
He's one of the only informed people in the thread though
>>
>>320027756
I agree, Origins was a great remake of I+II.

OP,
As for VII I would suggest to play the version that came with Advent Children Limited Pieces.
I think that's when they started the whole Final Mix/International ver. stuff in Japan.
>>
>>320027904
It's good, the PSP and DS/Steam versions are just better
>>
>>320027904

There's a glitch regarding ATB in the US GBA release, some people are worried about that.
>>
>>320024716
>playing anything besides the originals
>being a shitter

Yeah op, you're a shitter. Only play the originals.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.