[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.pcgamesn.com/quake-live/ quake-live-is-no-longer-
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: q.jpg (32 KB, 430x290) Image search: [Google]
q.jpg
32 KB, 430x290
http://www.pcgamesn.com/quake-live/quake-live-is-no-longer-f2p

>For five years, Quake Live has been free-to-play with subscription options. That changed suddenly when, yesterday, all subscription options were dropped and the game sprouted a price tag on Steam.

W-what the fuck? What is happening?! Is this the end of id?
>>
I've been wanting to try it out.

I guess nothing of value was lost.
>>
But this happened over a month ago.

The shittiest thing is that everyone who had moved to the Steam version prior to this were given a copy of the game while the ones who stayed playing through the QuakeLive website received nothing and lost their accounts. That makes no sense.
>>
>>320019662
Id died when the Johns left.
>>
>>320019662
>Now it's just an ordinary P2P game

Good
Just like Quake 3 now

Why is this a bad thing?

>>320020173
Well, that is shitty.
>>
>>320020353
>P2P

You're using this word wrong.
>>
>>320020669
>p2p
>Pay 2 play

It ALSO means peer to peer, but we're talking payment models.
>>
>>320019662
id has been shit for over a decade now
>>
>>320020849
He means the term pay2play refers to subscription-based games.
>>
>>320020849
p2p means subscription model. QuakeLive WAS p2p if you wanted the premium features. It's no more so. It's a single purchase.
>>
>>320021127
What were the premium features?
>>
>>320021370
More maps, ability to create your own servers and maybe something more, don't remember. I didn't use it myself.
>>
>>320021370
>>320021910
had to pay to play on premium servers which was anything that ran maps not in the monthly rotation or premium gamemodes. or you could be invited by a premium player. that was added the last couple of years. they might have gotten rid of it at some point
>>
The funding methods for QuakeLive were all a disaster.

Back before the alpha release when the game was still known as Quake Zero, id planned an ad-based funding model where ads would be placed inside maps. The placements would've been where the QuakeLive banners are located now. As far as I understand the ad content could be anything.

However id was acquired by Zenimax and once the game went from alpha to release the only ads were of Zenimax own games. That didn't work out as a funding model so the funding was moved to p2p premium which I guess sustained the game for some time until now. So they moved away from hosting the servers and letting the players take the load.
>>
>>320020280
Exactly this. Id isn't Id anymore, its just a dead company that keeps getting paraded around by Zenimax to see if they can get anymore money out of it.

You'll be better off playing Xonotic, Warsow, or wait for Unreal Tournament 4 if you want a free to play arena shooter.
>>
>>320020280
>>320024171
>>320020947
I bet that 80% of the id team have never even played Doom 1 or Quake 3
>>
>>320020353
>Why is this a bad thing?
even less players
also they probably won't change the gameplay or something
>>
Quake Live must be a really important game to you, if you only just notice a change they made months ago.
>>
>>320024171
don't get me wrong, i think warsow is a cool game (xonotic is shit though) but they're still niche mods. as a game quake live is such a well crafted source port with the most complete set of customisation, features, maps, modes, tools, etc. the only thing that arguably beats it is quakeworld. the way it was completely mismanaged commercially by the publishers is what made it fail and what caused the community's ire. see
>>320020173
>>320023746

>ut4
rather play unmodded, unpatched q4 than that turd
>>
>>320019662
just pirate q3a and play
>>
It's great for me because I installed it on pc, then immediately uninstalled it because I'm not going to play the fucked up abortion version (I was high when I installed it). I never even played it through steam and now I get it for free.
>>
I've seen many good old companies getting their corpse raped by shitty publishers, but id's demise hit me the hardest. To top it off, Carmack is off making stuff for Facebook, while the rest of the old team either has disastrous kickstarters for shovelware programs, or they are more or less retired from the field.

Fucking hell.
>>
>>320026735
you either work as a cog on huge franchise blockbusters, phone games, f2p games sponsored by shady chinese venture capital, or a kickstarter or early access copycat and/or nostalgia shovelware. its a great time to make and play video games
>>
File: hub3aeroq3.jpg (44 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
hub3aeroq3.jpg
44 KB, 640x480
I gave up on quake when they didn't give me a way to get the game for free on steam after I had a pro subscription for almost 3 years.

Now I guess I'll play q3 or one of the quake spin-offs if I get the craving.
>>
File: v_likes_good_games.jpg (334 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
v_likes_good_games.jpg
334 KB, 1024x768
Quake live was one of the few games where I had fun playing with /v/
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.