[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why are all the sea-warfare games i've seen shitty WWII
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
File: stonewall.jpg (95 KB, 690x652) Image search: [Google]
stonewall.jpg
95 KB, 690x652
why are all the sea-warfare games i've seen shitty WWII ones where all the ships are identical or boring 1700s line battles?
Ironclads had tons of variations and differing tactics/battle roles; it was by far the most interesting period in ships.
Also general sea-warfare games thread
>>
>>320007740
There aren't many navy games because naval warfare is fundamentally boring. It boils down to two sides bringing their ships and the side with better and bigger ships winning. In a naval battle that can fit in the scale of a video game, there will not be any strategic points to fight over, or any way to surprise or flank anyone.
>>
File: Shogun 2 Fall of the samurai.jpg (296 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Shogun 2 Fall of the samurai.jpg
296 KB, 1280x1024
>>320007740
>>
File: sh.jpg (121 KB, 1024x636) Image search: [Google]
sh.jpg
121 KB, 1024x636
>playing surface ships
>>
>>320008778
>battle begins
>enemy's first shot strikes your boiler
>KABOOM
>crushing defeat
>>
File: combatscreenie02.jpg (152 KB, 1611x906) Image search: [Google]
combatscreenie02.jpg
152 KB, 1611x906
Sunless Sea is a pretty interesting sea warfare game, although maybe not what you're looking for
>>
File: 1336696359318.jpg (2 MB, 4500x2681) Image search: [Google]
1336696359318.jpg
2 MB, 4500x2681
>yfw you have hundreds of ship images dating 1850-1918

They really need to make a Victoria: Total War game.
>>
>>320007740
>Ironclads had tons of variations and differing tactics/battle roles; it was by far the most interesting period in ships.
It was also the period most lacking in interesting naval battles.
>>
>>320009607
top tier taste right there
>>
Pro tip, naval battles have been boring as shit forever. The last time they were actually exciting was when triremi's were fighting on the Nile.

That said, Sid Meier's pirates is a great game.
>>
>>320014117
>tfw no modern remake

I can still remember british ministers screaming 'imbriglicated' at me, and 'shoovahn' after getting someone to surrender. weird how little things stick with you sometimes
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.