[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
steam mobile autenticator
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: 361231.png (82 KB, 950x114) Image search: [Google]
361231.png
82 KB, 950x114
why is steam shilling this thing so hard?
>>
>>319996154
Because they can sell your mobile number along with your other contact information if you use it.
>>
Another layer of security in case somebody has both their steam account and their associated email compromised.

Literally no way to lose your account to those thieving Russians unless they fly over and mug your phone from you.
>>
>>319996473
This.
Paranoid kids from too much weed cry botnet on this while posting from windows 10
>>
>>319996154
underage retards like you are losing their acc because of dota and cs go so they had to make YOU responsible for YOUR shit and fuck ups. If you read the article they have like 75k reports of stolen accounts monthly
>>
>>319996154
because their support is so shit because they have to deal with 50000 "help I just got hacked" requests every day
>>
>>319996963
and the famous "windows 10 in bad and other windows is good" meme. continue
>>
>>319997170
Gentall instoo
>>
who cares
>>
>>319997107
>underage retards like me

Nigger please. I have this account since 2007.

Don't be so aggressive, friend.
>>
>>319996287
There are tons of ways to get your data without using weird black market sales that you think exist. Because they are sure not selling it officially. Not to mention mobile number wouldn't really give them as much info as official steam application
>>
>>319997605
You do know it's perfectly legal to sell contact information?
>>
>>319997670
To fucking whom, you bloody retard? All their research is open data, contact information on steam don't mean shit
>>
>>319997883
Phone number isn't public on steam you stupid fuck.
>>
Enforcing more security, which pays off in the long run because it makes it easier and safer for people to hold steam accounts, less work for supports, less potential lawsuits
Also, to market their steam app and make more people pick it up
>>
>>319996154
because hundreds of retards get their accounts hijacked every day>>319996154
>>
>>319996154
I honestly haven't heard of anyone getting his steam account stolen.
>>
>>319998542
Idiots who get scammed, there's plenty of them
>>
File: 1432119142509.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1432119142509.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>319997107
It blows my load how people manage to get scammed despite so many retard proof counter measures Steam has added over the years.
>>
>>319998542
http://store.steampowered.com/news/19618/
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/318046154
>>
>>319997117
>>319997981
>>319998328
This is the actual reason, as they have stated somewhere.
They are improving their support. And while they train retarded monkeys to answer the emails, they are also targetting the most requested support tickets they get.
If less people lose their accounts, this actually saves them money
>>
>>319996154

To cut out their 75,000 steam support "HELP I GOT HACKED" tickets. The same reason any company that isn't bank related uses authenticators.
>>
>>319997925

And your phone number isn't revealed to apps without your explicit consent on either iOS or Android, you stupid fuck.

This board is coming full of brain dead /x/ leftovers who don't understand technology in the fucking slightest but still act like experts on it.
>>
>>319996154
Because your account could possibly be worth a a decent sum and this would make it more secure and less vulnerable to retards getting their accounts stolen.
>>
>>319996154

>Nag me to add an authenticator
>Punish me for using one by locking market access for 7 days after adding authenticator

Valve.
>>
Glad to see Valve is putting in more security measures for their employees.
>>
>>319999494

Yes, because it's not security for the user at all to be completely unable to get their account stolen unless the thief mugs you for your phone as well.
>>
>>319997117
This guy gets it. To anyone screaming about selling phone numbers, this has nothing to do with the text message confirmation that requires your phone number
>>
>>319999262
>brain dead /x/ leftovers
shouldn't this say /pol/?
your handbook is outdated
>>
I'm always fearful of Mobile Authenticators. In the off chance I lose my phone, or it's damaged, I am completely locked out of my account and have to jump through support hoops (and potentially still get denied).

I know it's not as safe since email could be comprimised, but at least with email authentication I can access my email from my desktop, laptop, anything, if my phone is out of commission.
>>
>>319999720
You know you get a recovery code when you first set up the authenticator, right? All you need to do is keep it safe and not leak it, which shouldn't be very hard to do as you don't use it for anything else.
>>
>>319999720
You get a backup key that you can use to recover your account in case of theft, but this is why I prefer the email version of the authenticator, it's pretty much the same thing, except that my email is ubiquitous
>>
>>319999841
>You know you get a recovery code when you first set up the authenticator, right?

Yes, and now all I need to do is get the app on my pho... oh wait, that was the issue to begin with.
>>
>>319999841
>You know you get a recovery code when you first set up the authenticator, right?

Which he needs to restore on his phone, which is lost or broken, causing this issue in the first place. Since the app is mobile only and doesn't have a desktop version.
>>
>>319999720
>I am completely locked out of my account
You can request a new card you brain damaged fuck.
>>
>>319999903
>>319999950
My mistake, I did not know that if his current phone breaks he will go without a mobile phone for the rest of his life and will never replace it.
>>
>>320000229
>New card

Does card relate to phones where you're from? SIM card? Nothing to do with apps.

Lets do this step by step since you're seeming to have trouble.

If you need magic number from authenticator to log in
And authenticator is only on phone

But phone go bye bye!

You can't login in without restoring your authenticator, on a phone.
But phone went bye bye, remember?
Now you can't get magic code form authenticator until you replace phone
Uh oh! No account until new phone
>>
>>319996154
>why is steam shilling this thing so hard?
To cut down on the number of stolen accounts, it is actually for your own good. Steam get nothing out of it and they are also giving you a discount on market place items for doing it.
>>
File: rsz_1434481056018.jpg (261 KB, 486x460) Image search: [Google]
rsz_1434481056018.jpg
261 KB, 486x460
>>319996154

holy shit this is getting worse

eventually they will just flat out demand your number or you don't get your account

how fucking awful, I just want to play video games, why is that so hard?
>>
Steam now has so many layers of protection around fucking virtual pixels, that the support article for "I got hacked and lost my account" should now read "Well sucks to be you, idiot".
>>
>>320000551
>eventually they will just flat out demand your number or you don't get your account

Except they addressed in their blog why they won't.

A large portion of users through either age, economic situation or country of residence have no access to mobile phones. They are encouraged to use the email based Steam Guard that's been around for a while now.
>>
>>320000646

well, that's good to hear. I just hope they stick by that statement.
>>
>>320000747

They have no reason not to. They're just trying to eliminate as many hacked account reports as possible, but locking out users without phones is not going to do them any good, neither by cutting user base or by the negative publicity.

If they can get all the users with phones to get the authenticator, that should do a good enough job covering bases.
>>
>>320000429
>for your own good
Stop projecting. You'd have to be 12 years old or a complete retard to lose your account.
>>
>>320000953
Yeah, that is what people say until they get their account hacked.

Why are you acting like this is a bad thing? It is nothing but an extra layer of security.

Fucking google uses the same 2 step verification, Origin uses it, not sure about uplay. So does my bank and my credit card, many other things also use it as well. It is the most secure way of protecting your account.

Stop acting like it is some kind of a bad thing and that Steam are trying to scam you.
>>
>>319996154
because 90% of steam users is still retarded enough to get their accounts stolen despite Valve adding shitzillion safety measures
>>
>>320000551
They don't need your number, you can use the Authenticator and that's it.
>>
>>320000000
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.