[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do so many people seem to have irrational hatred for this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 23
File: Ff10_logo.jpg (781 KB, 1775x1152) Image search: [Google]
Ff10_logo.jpg
781 KB, 1775x1152
Why do so many people seem to have irrational hatred for this game, despite it being one of the best Final Fantasy games?

X-2 is fun too
>>
Tidus wasn't edgy enough.
>>
But its my favorite FF game.
>>
>>319992832
I like it, but I have rose colored glasses because it was my first real final fantasy. X-2 is really divisive because I think its the tightest mechanically as far as skills and job system but the story is the fattest pile of dog shit known to man.
>>
>>319992832
>HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

I love it too but fuck me that cringe is thick.
>>
I think Tidus is pretty annoying and Blitzball was boring/bad as hell. I think the soundtrack is pretty shitty. I also don't like the combat system.
>>
>>319993009
First time playing through it I didn't even think it was that bad. It wasn't until the internet told me that I thought about it.

Maybe it's because i'm not a native English speaker
>>
My only real gripe with this game is the trial chambers, but with a guide they're quite painless
>>
VII, VIII, and X are the most popular Final fantasies, and fans of all the other titles will never forgive that.
>>
>>319993206
>mfw those are the only FF's i've finished
12 and 13 were pretty bad
>>
>>319992832
I really enjoy it. One of my favorites in the series. I can understand people not liking the linearity of it; even though other games in the series are also linear they at least had a world map you could roam around to access a sidequest or two rather than the sidequests being in the areas you were already passing through in X.
>>319993009
This is the other complaint I don't get. There are TONS of places where the dub gets funny and/or cringe-worthy but that scene was supposed to be forced and cringey so it worked. I never hear people bring up shit like how the VAs would try to speak some lines really fast just to fit them into the same frame as the JP dub. No one ever brings up other awkward moments like
>The wind... it's nice
either.
>>
i didnt liked it because it was too linear.

Then 13 got released and now i think x is fine. Man standards in gaming have gone low.
>>
>"10/10 GOTY" :^)
>"Truly an artistic experience. The equal of a Michelangelo."
>"The greatest game ever made."

buy it
>story written by an 8 year old
>repetitive mechanical gameplay that plays itself
>pretentious cutscene every few minutes
>>
>>319993327
you could easily be talking about any final fantasy after like VI here duder
>>
>>319993327
We're not talking about FF12 here, familia
>>
X-2 is one of the most mindnumbingly boring games I have ever played, despite the alright premise.
>>
>>319992832
good battle system (switching out charactes, manipulating the turn order), neat summoning system, but no overwolrd or flying around in the airship sucked
I liked the characters and the story too
Good game, but it was the beginning of the end IMO
>>
>>319993009
shut the fuck up you fucking idiot.
>>
>>319994495
Whaaat, it's easily one of the most fun FF games in terms of battles
>>
I really want to play it, but I only got the PS3 version.

I'd rather wait until the PC version is released so I can play with a stable framerate
>>
I have never really invested a lot of time into FF before.
Seeing as they are all pretty much separate stories, which is a good start point? I was thinking of going with 7 but I kinda don't want to blow my load on one of the best entries straight up.
I'm liking the look of 10 though.
>>
>>319995498
You can start wherever, really.

All the games have different systems and stories
>>
>>319995546
I guess what I meant to say is, which game is the most essential? The one that really defines the series.
>>
>>319995687
7, 8, 9 and 10 are the core games in my personal opinion.

They are pretty much what defined Final Fantasy
>>
>>319995687
I can't realy answer that but don't start with II nor VIII
>>
>>319995498
If not 7, try 6, 9 or 10
all of those are pretty good entry level FFs
I like 8, but your mileage may vary on that one
get tactics as well
>>
>>319992832
>despite it being one of the best Final Fantasy games?
It was barely a Final Fantasy game, you fuckhead.

I hate it from a pure gameplay perspective though I can't imagine it's hard to hate the narrative, jilted voice acting, or overall aesthetic.
>>
>>319995687
IV. Started ATB which lasted for six games, and the focus on characters and narrative the series is known for. Very simple, but also quintessential FF.
>>
>>319993249
I'd give 12 another chance
>>
A lot of people hated Tideus. While incredibly obnoxious at the beginning of the game, I felt he had a lot of character growth, and the whole "fish out of water" aspect allowed the player to learn Spira's lore at the same rate the character did.

Speaking of lore, Spira is one of my all-time favorite settings in a Final Fantasy game. I didn't mind the linearity because the journey was so goddamn fascinating. Seeing these varied locations, the history, how deeply the religion tied into everything....I love going back to it all every so often.
>>
>>319996000
There are also many cool small details in 10 that makes it more interesting
>>
>>319995498
10 is a good starting point i think, since it's fairly easy and pretty linear
>>
I liked X but it marked the beginning of the end for the FF I loved growing up. No overworld map for instance. Nothing gamebreaking but it's all downwards from there IMO.

I really enjoyed the combat system of X-2 but 90% of the environments are copy-pasted straight from X, it's a bit lazy IMO.
>>
>>319995996
Currently playing XII, and I'm really digging it so far. Great characters, great setting, pretty good story so far (about 10 hours in atm)

Is it me, or is XII one of the more challenging FF games? I'm getting buttfucked by some of the bosses and the hunts.
>>
I loved the post game sphere grind in X
>>
File: 1450006678451.png (124 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1450006678451.png
124 KB, 420x420
>>319992832

>tfw got Wakka out of retirement for 1 gil and won the blitzball league every season
>>
>>319996248
>Great characters,
I like XII a lot but i'm not with you on that one
>>
>>319996248
It's the game just Vagrant Story 2, but they changed it to FF12
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (219 KB, 920x518) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
219 KB, 920x518
>>319996248
Get to this nigger yet?
>>
>>319996248
I felt like I had to grind a lot back when I played it, which made me hate it

Also the story is convoluted and dumb I think.
>>
>>319996426
Wich is good?
>>
>>319996426
Fuck, I wish we WOULD get a Vagrant Story 2
>>
>>319996248
>Great characters
>Vaan, Penelo, Fran
eeeehhh, I think they were pretty bad, the otherthree had potential but still needed development
>great setting
>start off in a fucking desert
I thought most of the areas were kinda boring and reused some areas too much (that area before the tomb, the great crystal, the wood etc.)
>one of the more challenging FF games?
the only boss that I had problems with was that dragon inthe forest, I grew bored of the hunts pretty fast (the rewards mostly suck)

also, the bazaar sucked ass
>>
>>319996610
I wasn't shitting on it, I was legit asking a question. It's like Grandia and Grandia 2, right? Connected world but different exposition.
>>
>>319996440
Nah, I can't even kill the Cluckatrice near that villiage, which I think is the first Epic hunt. Need to git gud, or grind like hell.
>>
>>319996426
>Vagrant Story 2

No, VS is a fucking masterpiece, as is FFT
FF12 is mediocre as fuck
>>
>>319992832
my fav ff game 2bh
>>
>>319996729
>Vaan, Penelo, Fran
Yeah, but Balthier, Basch, and Ashe. And at least Fran is nice to look at.
>Start in a desert
Those cities, though!
>>
>>319996426

I enjoyed FF12 but VS is a much better game. And gameplay-wise it's not even really comparable.
>>
>>319992832
>Awful characters, Auron is the only tolerable one
>Sphere grid is linear as fuck and has way too long animations
>Battles are boring and there's never really any strategy to them
>You meet the same kind of enemies over the entire game, and enemy models are reused constantly
>80% of the game is cut scenes and dialogue, no gameplay
>Did I mention you can't skip cut scenes
>Once you're allowed to move the map is completely linear and you can basically only move from A to B
>Chests only give you hi-potions and other worthless shit
>No world map
>Horrible voice acting. People keep complaining about the laughing scene because it's a meme, but EVERYTHING is bad
>The romance with Yuna comes out of nowhere and is not believable for a second
>Music is dull
>THOSE FUCKING SPHERE TRIALS WTF
>The boss battles are awful and often take wayyyy to long (some Seymore battles, the Sin fins etc.)
>dat final battle after all those cut scenes
>Once you beat Sin you can't even save and start again, it literally makes you SWITCH OFF THE PS2

Want me to go on?
>>
>>319996947
>Those cities
those were nice, although they looked kinda samey

Also, every action RPG with multiple characters should just rip off the gambit system to program your allies' A.I.
>>
>>319996062
>Yuna leaves Besaid
>Everyone is very solemn, contemplative, taking their time.
>Villiagers are sad to see her go
>Tideus is all COME ON GUYS WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
>Later learn that Yuna's mission is supposed to be a suicide mission

Didn't even catch that shit until my second playthrough.
>>
I know it has issues, but to me it's still one of the comfiest games to play, if only because it was one of the big games of my childhood.
I seriously want to try doing a LP one day, but I don't think I have the charisma to pull it off.
>>
I have a bias against it since I hate tropical settings.
>>
>>319997474
Only two locations are tropical, though.
>>
>>319997307
This

Every location and the OST is so comfy
>>
I don't understand why people have such a hard on for an overworld map. It's literally just tricking you into thinking the game isn't linear since areas are always closed off.
>>
>>319997074
I agree with many of your claims, but you can't describe that OST as anything less than stellar.
>>
Is it just me or does the journey from Besaid to Zanarkand roughly correspond to if one was to travel from a minor indonesian island to Samarkand?
>>
File: FFVI_Artwork_Amano.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1404) Image search: [Google]
FFVI_Artwork_Amano.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1404
6 and 9 are the best FFs by far, followed by 4, 7 and 10, all for different reasons though.
>>
>>319997074
>Awful characters, the edgy gary stu with barely any character development (if any at all) is the only tolerable one
Really anon?
>Sphere grid is linear as fuck and has way too long animations
>Battles are boring and there's never really any strategy to them
There are just flat out wrong.
>>You meet the same kind of enemies over the entire game, and enemy models are reused constantly
So like literally every JRPG ever?
>80% of the game is cut scenes and dialogue, no gameplay
>Once you're allowed to move the map is completely linear and you can basically only move from A to B
Okay I'll give you these.
>Chests only give you hi-potions and other worthless shit
Again, no point singling out FFX when literally every other JRPG does it too.
>No world map
Didn't you already cover this? But you are right.
>Horrible voice acting. People keep complaining about the laughing scene because it's a meme, but EVERYTHING is bad
Well at least we can agree the laughing scene being a meme.
>The romance with Yuna comes out of nowhere and is not believable for a second
If you think that's bad you should see the romance with Rinoa.
>Music is dull
It's quite possibly the best in the whole franchise.
>THOSE FUCKING SPHERE TRIALS WTF
It's not the game's fault you're too stupid to solve them.
>The boss battles are awful and often take wayyyy to long (some Seymore battles, the Sin fins etc.)
Git gud
>dat final battle after all those cut scenes
Yes we get it already.

Look, FFX isn't even my favorite of the series that honor belongs to FFVII but most of these complaints are nitpicky just for the sake of being nitpicky.
>>
>>319995498
Just follow this.
>>
>>319997074
>The whole game is the same shit over and over again
>I want to keep playing after I defeat the last boss

i think you're retarded bro?
>>
>>319992832
I hated the unskippable cutscenes and the sphere grid system, otherwise it was GOAT.

>>319993206
Replace VIII with VI then yes.
>>
So is FFXII HD going to be the International Version?
I always really liked that game except for the license board system, and I think that the Zodiac LB system will be enough to remove that barrier.
>>
>>319998464
Sphere grid is nice
>>
This is probably maximum pleb but 6, 7, and 10 are my favorites.
>>
>>319998509
I hated that it encouraged grinding more than any other FF system to date, and that by the end of the game everybody was the same character.
>>
>>319992832
It just has a really poor story, right up there with FF8's, but also much more annoying characters. It's a good game otherwise.
>>
>>319998575
that's pretty standard
>>
>>319995687
start with 8
>>
>>319998575
I'm the same, except I've never played 6. In fact 10 might have been my all time favorite if not for the godawful level design.
>>
>>319998617
>but also much more annoying characters

Okay let's not say anything crazy now, anon.
>>
>>319998495
If you really want, you can find a translated iso of IZJS
>>
>>319993009
It's less than 1% of the game you autistic memeshitter.
>>
I don't care why others don't like it, here's mine:

1/2:

I replayed X after XIII for the first time.

I remembered hating it strongly for linearity, character design (party + non-party), sphere grid, sub-par story, stupidity of the protagonists (especially Tidus), no real airship, temple puzzles and a vague sterility of the world in my mind.

I played a little and was originally happily surprised, Tidus wanted to save Yuna before he knew she was a girl and saved a girl from a collapsing hut in Kilika (Maybe he was nobler than I remembered?), the battles were turn based-ish and the voiceacting wasn't quite as horrendous as I remembered.

But no, I hated it more than even I expected.

The worst thing by far was the cinematic approach of the game and it hit me like a ton of bricks that I had disliked this initially but had forgotten. You can't move anywhere without a cutscene, "cool" camera angles while walking around, battle animations are long, grandiose and repetitive, especially the summon animations (At least you can shorten them in the options, but they're such a culmination of the game being a movie instead of a game that I have to mention it.) and every place or situation is high strung with pathos and drama, which breaks immersion. There are no points where characters just are, they either perform feats or talk about said feats and the plot just isn't strong or surprising enough to keep a player engaged.

Oh and the world was much more sterile than I remembered. Every place is "too perfectly" beautiful, coordinated and at a movie type distance from the player, which makes it feel unreal and breaks the immersion of it not being man made. One can see behind the curtain. The fact that the world has no imperfections makes it feel like no one lives there, aggravated by the fact you run into the same people all the time in your travels (how did they get here?), who proceed to do the same thing whereever they are as though... they are acting their part in the play.
>>
>>319998495
If it's actually happening I would assume so, like how KH HD used the Final Mix versions.
>>
FFX is the GOAT
>>
>>319998230
>>Battles are boring and there's never really any strategy to them
>There are just flat out wrong.
Not the anon you're replying to but he's ight on that one. Combat is barebones as fuck. Literally just a simple puzzle. Have a flying enemy? Usa Wakka. Machinas? Rikku. Wolves? Tidus. Sheild enemies? Auron. Flans or other physical resistant enemies? Lulu. Kimari and Yuna are the only kinda useless ones.
>>
>>319998783

2/2:

The world was also smaller than I remembered. The pilgrimade felt much shorter. I remembered Quado-Salam being later and I was especially surprised with Yuna accepting marriage at the very next area Thunder Plains. After that Al-Bhed home and Bevelle just flew by. The latter half of the pilgrimage was half as long as I remembered. I was astonished. Perhaps I was really bored the first time. The new pace felt less like a pilgrimage than the first time for me, but perhaps that's an improvement.

Oh and the battles. I used to like the battles. This time it was obvious they were just Simon says puzzles and there were some cinematic parts to them like activating the crane in Luca. Not to mention boss battles require you to play a specific way as though they're cutscenes and they somewhat actually are, since they have built-in scenarios like Seymour summoning Dagon that Yuna has to summon Shiva to kill.

Linearity cripples the experience in the world, in exploring (The map has a small protrusion in the linear path just outside of camera view... Ooh, a chest.), in story [Almost everything is obvious, Seymour is evil, Yuna's gonna die but won't, Yevon is bogus (Blitzball win prayer) etc.], in fun (no side quests to take your mind off the main quest, blitzball is horrible) and in replayablity because of the sphere grid that basically turns every experience the same.

This truly kills Final Fantasy.

-

X-2 was very good. I don't understand why you like X's music by the way. It's the first time Hamauzu started plaguing the series. It's a long step down from before.
>>
File: 1446017921880.jpg (101 KB, 600x847) Image search: [Google]
1446017921880.jpg
101 KB, 600x847
>>319998575
You call that pleb? My mainline favorites are VI, XII and II XIII and VIII tied for 4th place.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n8i99zVz1f1rhr41c.gif (897 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n8i99zVz1f1rhr41c.gif
897 KB, 500x281
>>319998935
That already sounds much more strategic than 90% of JRPGs.

>>319999024
>that spoiler

Pic very related.
>>
>>319992832
X-2 is a heaping pile of garbage.
>>
>>319999024
But VI is universally regarded as the best FF (rightfully so in my opinion), what are you talking about?
>>
>>319999195
>That already sounds much more strategic than 90% of JRPGs.
C'mon, you're joking right? X-2 alone proves that X is shit tier regarding gameplay. I do agree that bosses were pretty fun in X though.
>>
>>319998230
>>319998230
>>>319997074 (You)
>>Battles are boring and there's never really any strategy to them
>There are just flat out wrong.
Did you play it after being 15 years old
>>>You meet the same kind of enemies over the entire game, and enemy models are reused constantly
>So like literally every JRPG ever?
>>Chests only give you hi-potions and other worthless shit
>Again, no point singling out FFX when literally every other JRPG does it too.
M
Yes JRPGs suck, I agree
>If you think that's bad you should see the romance with Rinoa.
OK?
>>Music is dull
>It's quite possibly the best in the whole franchise.
Some tracks are alright, but that battle theme gets on your nerves after only like 50 battles
>>THOSE FUCKING SPHERE TRIALS WTF
>It's not the game's fault you're too stupid to solve them.
:^)
>>The boss battles are awful and often take wayyyy to long (some Seymore battles, the Sin fins etc.)
>Git gud
Its got nothing to do with that. The game FORCES you to grind for a lot of these battles, which is something especially jrpgs do that gets on my nerves. You're supposed to put hours into grinding instead of finding a good strategy. Play the bosses again, you'll see that they're almost always immune to any stat changes or status ailments, so all you can do is just attack them until their HP drops. This would be acceptable if the bosses didn't have like 300 000hp every time and they take an hour to beat.
When a game forces you to grind for no reason I lose all interest.
>>dat final battle after all those cut scenes
>>Did I mention you can't skip cut scenes
>Yes we get it already.
Good. This is a huge deal.
>Look, FFX isn't even my favorite of the series that honor belongs to FFVII but most of these complaints are nitpicky just for the sake of being nitpicky.
These things I brought up were just parts of why I thought this game is awful to play, but they're a big deal to me
>>
>>319999268
One thing is VI, the other is XII and II which divisive as fuck. Heck, I personally hated II until an years ago when I actually seat down and gave it a fair chance.
>>
>>319998783
Basically this. After not long into the game you'll start begging it to let you play, but it just farts out more cut scenes with bad dialogue at you.
>>
I dislike that you can't skip scene you have already seen it if you try to load to an earlier section of the game. I failed multiple times to get Jetch shot because I'm not quick enough at timing and I just got frustrated so I decided to just continue without it.
>>
>>320000000
>>
>>319998783
>Every place is "too perfectly" beautiful
Holy fuck, what a ridiculous comment, anon.
>>
>>320000259
?
>>
>>320000351
I was just curious, thread has nothing to do with my post
>>
>>319993327
Agreed. Also, the dialog was shit because the VA salary caused square enix to cut back on the length of spoken dialog.
>>
>>319992832
because you insist it's one of the better fantasys. when the love story was horrible, the two just fell in love out of no where. yuna was a terrible character, tidus was just as bad. you know it felt like the main couple was shoe horned into a story they don't belong or didn't fit. no matter how they were both apart of the world they were put there just to get teenagers to like the game. think about it, X would have been so much better if tidus and yuna didn't exist. take them out of the story all together, you probably have a much better game. aside from the lack of exploration.
>>
>>319997074
Agreed with nearly every point. I'd only add that Tidus is probably the least intelligent FF protagonist ever invented. At least Vaan in FFXII had an "older brother" foil in Balthier.

Tidus was never reeled in by Auron and slapped around.
>>
>>320000915
>At least Vaan in FFXII had an "older brother" foil in Balthier.
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but Vaan in Revenant Wings was actually a pretty decent protagonist.
>>
>>319998959
x 2 was horrible in character and story wise. sickened me.
>>
I never manage to increase Lulu's Overdrive fury magick, like nothing works.
>>
>>319998345

>tfw youve played and beat that entire image

why have i wasted my life
>>
>>320000269

Okay. In previous Final Fantasies (even VIII to a small degree sometimes) the world had imperfections like rust, things that were painted funny, broken or brought in from another place. In X everything is uniform. This thing belongs here and is seamlessly part of the environment. Nothing looks accidental. Human touch is nowhere to be seen. This is the most beautiful post-apocalypse constantly under threat I've ever seen, everything looks like a paradise. Moreover since you can't interact with it, it aggravates the dissonance even more. No one within the game world has touched anything in decades. Because it's not real.

The opposite you wish to accomplish. Also the camera keeps a uniform distance from set pieces. Artificial.
>>
>>320000915
I liked Vaan if only because he wasn't the chosen one or some bullshit (unless I missed something). He was just a kid caught up in events way way larger than him.
>>
Haven't played the PSone trilogy, what am I in for lads? V, VI and XII best games. Cecil best protagonist.
>>
>>319992832
FF died and stopped at IX though, anyone with taste know that.
>>
>>320001796
You mean that IX was the cause of FF dying, right? Then yeah, I agree.
>>
>>320001467

I didn't much care for those either. I think the longing in the story and the Bad Ending fit together pretty well. But yes I think it's good for reasons outside its characters, main plot and heavy asset reuse. I'm a gameplay kinda guy. I could tune the rest off.
>>
File: piq_101759_400x400.png (15 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
piq_101759_400x400.png
15 KB, 400x400
>>319994676
>>319996134
>>319994676
>>320001796
>it stopped fanwanking my expectations so it's bad
>>
It's an existentialist masterpiece. Every character has a great ammount of development. I mean every single one of them.

People didn't like Tidus because it wasn't edgy, stereotypical. I think he was THE BEST written main character in any FF game. Also every single character had some vice-arc that was VERY dynamic, it change with Spira. Sociopolitical situation of Spira was great.

Soundtrack was godly. Battle system was great. It had the right ammount of customization and restrictions.

One thing that really bothered me was how probably different the translation was from the main game.
>>
>>319997824
I know right
>>
>>320001634
I've only beaten 1 and the XIII trilogy. I'm going to make it my goal to beat this entire image.

I know I'm not breaking new ground but I hated the XIII trilogy, XIII was meh, XIII-2 started alright but fell apart by the end and LR I only played just to get this shit over with
>>
>>320002575
I don't know if you're trolling, but this makes me think of how especially badly the kimahri character was.

They make yuna and kimahri talk about how much they experienced together and funny situations they were in.. like that weird story about yuna falling off a shoopuff.
Even though they're supposed to have had this relationship since childhood we never know anything about kimahri. How old he is, how he met yuna, why he is yuna's guardian, why he is willing to die for her, why he is okay with her doing the suicide mission (why isn't he even emotional about it?), and so on. He's just a really half-done character.
>>
that's so fucking wrong in many levels

IX was the only game since V that didnt have edgy mechanicals and or modern environments (u can also say X isnt, but idk, with the al bhed and shit its arguably), so u cant actuallly argue that it influenced any games foward or was influced by the 3 previous games

>the edgiest memer character it has would be amarant, and even then u cant even compare it with most of the characters edgyness since VII and foward

and it not only has a solid combat system that was honed from the previous games, but also a big open world with some sidequests and minigames, that werent necessarely for completing the game, but were fun and added dept, and also had a simple story that was both charming and decently long, with enough character develepmont, to not become boring but to not also be too bland, awsome OST too

long story short, ur a faggot for trying to justify the bad games foward with a game that had nothing to do with them, and for trying to imply its a bad game
>>
Shit characters.
Shit leveling system.
>>
>>320001828
>>320003452
>>
Nostalgia fags. There was a time when >FF6 was the best game ever
was actually the norm.
>>
>linear as fuck
>Temple puzzles
>only good party members aren't main characters
>endgame is the grindiest of the franchise
>Sphere Grids turn everyone into a blank slate
>Sphere GRids were so bad they had to try to fix them in the HD port by moving everyone closer together
>weak story
>weak twist ending
>Yuna's plight about killing herself to appease a religion that may or may not be corrupt is upstaged by Tidus's daddy issues
>Tidus's daddy issues
>literally everyone elses story is more interesting than Tidus's but the plot follows him because THIS IS MY STORY
>the japs adore this game

The only standout things about this game are the graphics at the time were amazing and kind of aged okay, the OST beign great, and the battle system.
>>
>>320000259

it wasn't a squid masquerading as a kid in a school uniform so no one fucking cares
>>
>>320003452
>characters
Personally, I hated all the characters from IX except for Vivi, but that's subjective as fuck so whatever.

>not only has a solid combat system that was honed from the previous games,
What? IX is as easy as VII and VIII but the gameplay is slow as fuck. They didn't hone anything with IX, they basically made it almost unplayable for someone who goes directly from VII or VIII while maintaining the near braindead difficulty.
>>
>>319993009

It's supposed to be cringe
>>
>>319993009
>FFX: Awkward laughter Scene
>Anon: I don't follow. Man that was awkward
Joke flew above your head. Well to be fair the awkwardness was delivered effectively.
>>
10 is a great FF game. It's in an actual fantasy world unlike the shit that is FF7, FF8, FF13, and FF15 with their scifi tech garbage.
>>
>>320003424

>How old he is, how he met yuna, why he is yuna's guardian, why he is willing to die for her, why he is okay with her doing the suicide mission (why isn't he even emotional about it?), and so on. He's just a really half-done character.

I never payed attention to the game.jpeg, they explain all of it. How he met with Braska, how Auron asked him to protect Yuna after he confronted Yunalesca when Kimahri was searching for his pride, his backstory, why he left the mountain.

I accept that his character isn't written like others but that's because he is a Ronso.
>>
>>320003736
I'm at the Macalaina temple, I have no idea what to do with the destruction sphere, I got the treasure chest and reset the pedestral but after I have no idea.
>>
File: 1433946338352.jpg (54 KB, 324x289) Image search: [Google]
1433946338352.jpg
54 KB, 324x289
>>319992832
X-2 is always fun. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>320004616
It has one of the most fun combat systems
>>
That guy that used to just use Yojimbo
>>
File: 100_8594.jpg (81 KB, 1061x941) Image search: [Google]
100_8594.jpg
81 KB, 1061x941
>>320004431
>>
>>320004616
Literally the best FF games are sequels or spin-offs. X-2, LR and Tactics are basically the best FFs you can play.
>>
>>320004791
>>320004431
Just use guides for these

Makes the game more enjoyable
>>
File: 1427746824599.jpg (145 KB, 712x767) Image search: [Google]
1427746824599.jpg
145 KB, 712x767
>>320004639
Why do you think I have a boner for that game.
>>
>>319993037
You put too much b8 on your hook m8
>>
>>320004856

Because rikku?
>>
>>320004694
I played FFX when I was about 10-12 I think.
When I got to the final boss (Jecht, not Yu Yevon), I summoned Yojimbo and unwillingly made him use the 1-hit kill move.
It was a bit anticlimactic.
>>
>>320004108
the slow part is true, but it wasnt that much slower compared to the previous ones to be branded "unplayable", and as for the easy part, like u said its as easy as VII and VII, and while i havent played VI, V was also pretty easy and the X and foward in my opinion were even easier than the previous ones, so i dont see how u are u using it to complain
>>
>>320004851

>using guides

ishygddt
>>
File: 1442855800199.gif (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1442855800199.gif
3 MB, 320x240
>>320004836
My fellow oldfag.
>>
>>320004851
I'm sure I'm close to finish the trial but I don't really know what I am missing.
>>
>>320005027
>Not using guides for trial chambers on replays of FFX
>>
>>320004957
That too.
>>
>>320005071
the only thing you can miss are the destruction sphere treasures. there's one in each trial
>>
File: 1438048875663.png (80 KB, 318x470) Image search: [Google]
1438048875663.png
80 KB, 318x470
>>320005003
It felt a LOT slower when compared to VIII at least. Unplayable is stretching it yeah, but it really feels awkward.

>easy
Fair point. Although I was expecting Square to actually give a damn about difficulty and try to bump it up somehow.

>>320005028
I'm just stating a fact. People go on and on about mainline games when almost every sequel and spin-off are better. It's stupid.
>>
Now that I'm not a child and have actually played JRPGs that require a bit of thought other than just casting haste on your entire party then attacking over and over again, pretty much all Final Fantasy games are shit as far as the gameplay goes.

X at least required a little bit of working out what your supposed to do, rarely, certainly better than the XII route of just giving everything a variation of Bad Breath to fuck your shit up. Some decently challenging bosses that you could still luck out on and beat because they all have no HP (Yunalesca for example would actually be tricky if she had maybe 100,000 more HP, upping your chance of getting caught in a mega death). The Dark Aeons were kind of disappointing because they just required you to massively overlevel to point where everyone has filled the sphere grid and the only differences between characters are their overdrives (meaning Rikku is easily the best character in the game at that point kek).
>>
>>320005316
I got the treasure but I need one more pillars/pathway to be able to cross the entire room above.
>>
>>320004108
unplayable to an ADHD ridden child maybe.
If you couldn't play this I don't know how you were able to play tactics if you did.
>>
>>320002020
>abloo bloo bloo pls don't criticize my fave FF or I'll cry ;_;

get some thicker skin, you manbaby
>>
>>320005809
I played and finished every single FF except for IV TAY which is just fucking terrible. I still feel like IX's combat is one of the slowest combat systems I've played, even outside of the FF games.
>>
>>320005957
any one can play all Final fantasy
doesn't mean you aren't a child riddled with ADHD
>>
File: 1428147140374.jpg (43 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1428147140374.jpg
43 KB, 500x500
>>320006136
Ok then.
>>
>>320005957
>IV TAY
You saved yourself some serious self doubt and rethinking. Better than you finding out the truth about FF4's world.
>>
>>320006980
What do you mean? Does it end up being anything decent plot-wise? I really liked the gameplay tweaks but the story and characters felt kinda "meh". I gave up around 10 or 15 hours in, I think. Does it get any better later on?
>>
>>319992832
Despite: how fun it was, the setting, the world design, the awesome soundtrack, the cool leveling and battle system and the graphics, (for the PS2 era) the game has quite a few flaws. The stories pacing and dialogue is pretty mediocre. The battle system doesn't require thinking until Mt. Gagazet (and that is pushing it because the monster arena and onward were the only hard battles), the sphere grid is incredibly linear aside from a few treks back to a level 2+ sphere to get that +4 STR and some of the characters just fell flat toward the end. I love FFX, but it is not some juggarnaut in the Final Fantasy series. Hell, none of the ideas from this game even carried over to other guys except FFXIII's leveling system (which is just as fucking linear).
>>
>>320007405
Major spoilers.
Someone drops sperm on planet. Evolves into things. Moon is planet insemination pod that launched it. Beat boss. Find out you're the first to survive the approval test. Planet seeder moon leaves for good. To create another numbered FF game world. or maybe not, maybe its just 4's world.
>>
File: tidus.gif (319 KB, 350x174) Image search: [Google]
tidus.gif
319 KB, 350x174
X-2 was better.
There. I said what everyone else was thinking.
>>
File: 1436509908037.png (532 KB, 1214x1082) Image search: [Google]
1436509908037.png
532 KB, 1214x1082
>>320007574
Damn, that's actually a pretty fucking decent twist. Color me surprised. Maybe I'll end up picking it up again one of these days.
>>
I actually liked X, until you reach Macalania. Then, it's just continual bosses every 2 small screens until the end of the game. Multiple bosses even had separate forms and came one after the next. The worst offender had to be Bevelle but, it never got any better. It felt so rushed and boring.
>>
>>320007678
>X-2 was better.
Anyone who actually played X-2 will never disagree on this. The only problem is the boring sort of post dungeon Bevelle Underground. They really neede to actually bother with map design on that instead of recycling the same 6~8 layouts for 99 floors.
>>
>>320008570
>Bevelle Underground
I meant Via Infinito.
>>
>>319992832
I got bored in the first 15 minutes.
X-2 was good right away
8 was a bad game but it's so broken it's kinda fun to play anyway
IX I gave quite a chance to but it was boring. I think I got up to this part with...three black mages after me?
>>
>>320009134
>IX I gave quite a chance to but it was boring. I think I got up to this part with...three black mages after me?

so you gave up at the beginning of the game
>>
>>320009314
Well after I had 4 characters and a few battles and Steiner learned a fire sword move. It was really homosexual. They should have just made IX a VII remake.
>>
File: 1446486438116.jpg (82 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1446486438116.jpg
82 KB, 1280x720
>>320009429
I'm not exactly very fond of IX, but this whole post is completely retarded.
>>
I'm a retro RPG that still has my cartridges for ff2 and 3 on snes and has played every FF game released in the west.

FFX is my second favourite final fantasy after 3 )or 6 if youre gay)
>>
>>320012243
>ff2 and 3 on snes
Triggered. It's been fucking decades, can't you fucking just type out IV/4 or VI/6?
>>
File: 1422209258193.png (212 KB, 300x305) Image search: [Google]
1422209258193.png
212 KB, 300x305
>>319992832
You ask why people hate it, well I'll give my account.

It's hard to explain this feeling unless you were there and experienced every FF sequentially up to that point, at least the ones that had been released in the US. I was a true square fan and would buy all their shit. I honestly thought the ride with them would never end.

I read every snippet of info that came out about new final fantasies/square games that were being released. The point is X was no different I was hyped as shit. I remember X in one fond memory I have of it seeming like the first game that really looked good as 3D on a console coming off the muddy shit of PS/N64 era. I thought this game was going to be the best shit ever. Then a lot bad info.. I remember lying to myself and saying "it will be good when it comes out they're never bad," but the problem anon was that it was bad and not only was it bad, but collectively it was everything that was wrong about Square and everything that would continue to be wrong about them.

The game was super fucking easy, you cant fucking die in the game unless you're a moron. You cant get lost because X was the start of corridor cinematic gameplay. It's not as bad as some games today but the contrast between square games before and Square games after is startling. The characters are just awful. The story was lame, and I'll grant you some of the previous stories in FF weren't great either but this really felt like a new low in quality in that regard. I wasn't particularly fond of the art direction and the music. I hated blitzball and the sphere grid system. Other than the fact that it looked nice for the time, there really isn't much good I can say about it. Even worse than just being a bad game it pretty much became the template game for them and continued to be for a long enough time that I haven't trusted them in nearly a decade and a half. I hate this game because it was the end of good Square as I see it and the start of nonsense.
>>
>>320007678

Oh god, I had forgotten about X 2.5

Please tell me it's not canon, right?

Right?
>>
File: Wisdom.png (240 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
Wisdom.png
240 KB, 853x480
>>319998345
>most popular 2d ff game
>4
>this entire guide overall
this is some retarded ass shit
>>
>>319992832
I don't hate the game, /v/. It's just not as good as previous games. But the only saving grace is that the combat system was solid and the sphere grid is really nice.

>>319992875
No, he was just a complete idiot with the cringiest lines in any video game instead.
>>
>>320015007
I'd argue that IV would be the most popular 2D simply considering the number of ports and remakes it had, compared to I, II, III, V and VI..
>>
>>320014675
Cool story faggot
>>
>>320014675
The god honest truth. It's like how RE4 (although being really good for its type) was the beginning of the downfall of Resident Evil. After RE4 they focused on the wrong aspects of what that game to make the latter ones. Should have taken some of the combat (kept it limited) and stopped with the partner bullshit. Then they should have moved back to exploring being a pertinant and required task all with horrifying surprises and maybe some sequence breaking. But instead we ended up with RE5 and the clusterfuck known as RE6.
>>
>>320001668
This is an idiotic comment. There's no imperfections? There's ruins everywhere, they're melded into the earth their so old. You can see ivy reclaiming even some of the newer buildings. Did you stop playing at Zanarkand? And uniform distance? What? Did you even reach the calm lands?

This is pants on head retarded.
>>
>>320016303
The guy made 2 posts dedicated to criticizing X. It's your fault for even take the bait seriously.
>>
>>319997248
>Didn't even catch that shit until my second playthrough.

You must have skipped rikku's home country your first playthrough
>>
>>320016492
I think he means that a lot of the moments where Tidus' cheerful demeanor doesn't mesh with the group make more sense if you know that Yuna's going to die.

Which is totally true. Replaying FFX, there's a lot of really well done irony there.
>>
>>320004379
It wasn't supposed to be a joke or hard to follow at all.

It was a guy and girl who let their guard down and shared and awkward silly moment together that brought them closer together. Most of /v/ has trouble comprehending this scene because they're virgins who have no experience with girls.
>>
>Ive forced myself to smile when I'm feeling sad
>Now you try
>forced laughter

was I just more into literary themes than you guys when I played this because I understood it was SUPPOSED to sound dumb and forced immediately.
>>
>>319999368
Most jrpg are literally nothing more than

1.Use strongest attacks
2.Heal
3.Repeat.

The fact that FFX battles were like mini puzzles automatically makes it more interesting and puts it in the upper echelon of jrpgs when it comes to battles.
>>
>>319995498
I'd say start with IV because it was the beginning of what Final Fantasy is known for today. From there just work your way up.
>>
File: 1443634893256.jpg (69 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1443634893256.jpg
69 KB, 300x300
>>320017632
>upper echelon of jrpgs when it comes to battles.
>FFX
>Average to mediocre combat
>upper echelon of jrpgs when it comes to battles.
>>
ITT: why do people disagree with my opinion guys xD

X is shit you're shit X-2 is shit you're shit

enjoy my hatepinion
>>
>>320018030
>thinking shitposting and memes counts as an argument.
>>
File: 1439736532678.gif (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1439736532678.gif
3 MB, 320x240
>>320017632
this poster is a retard and obviously has never played any legitimately difficult turn based RPGs

and i'm sure if i gave examples he'd retort with LE WEEB TRASH AGEZM NOT DIFUCLT U CAN GRIND
>>
>>319992832
I don't think I've replayed this since I was in middle school. My brother did get the HD version, think I should give it a go? I thought it was a great game at the time, but that had to be ten or eleven years ago at least.
>>
>>320018536
Do you really think that saying that FFX is even near being a good game much less on the "upper echelon of jrpgs", isn't shitposting? Even by FF standards, X is average at best.
>>
I finally beat this game last year. Heres what I didnt like:

The cast, it seemed like everyone but Auron and Lulu were constantly screaming and wiggling around like fucking crazy people. They all need to calm the fuck down. The cutscenes were at times unbearable.

The sheer linearity. I know that no FF games have ever been nonlinear, despite what idiots say. 6 has some sidequests that dont follow a specific sequence but its just right before the main plot ties up. This game however is just a straight path, with branches for treasure, it is exactly what people say about 13, only more excusable because this was in development before ps2 was out, and 13 took 90 years to develop.

The plot wasnt all there. From the get go we should be enticed by the world threat that is Sin, but only like 2 major things happen between leaving besaid and fighting him. Lulu/Wakka added almost nothing, it disappointed in the same way 8 did in that regard really cool side characters who dont ever go beyond that role and serve mainly to further the development of the duotagonists nobody seems to like.

But the world was cohesive and interesting, the sound design was great, the battles are some of the best turn based ones this side of grandia, expert sphere grid is great, and lulus tits.

I started x-2, and while the actual plot is goofy as fuck I really like how the world is expanded upon, dress spheres are fun as fuck and it is probably the least linear FF ever.

10 isnt a terrible game, but it definitely foreshadowed the decline in quality we got in 13. 12 had problems but also soul, and none of those guys are involved in main titles anymore. I am really nervous about 15. It seems to be trying to hard to be the antithesis of 13 and 10 that I fear a lack of direction will dampen longterm interest and enjoyment in the game.

Just my 2 gil
>>
Tidus is a bit of a whiny cunt, but overall the game is fun and all the protagonists have their ups and downs.
The Sphere grid in X-2 was a fun system, too, though I just can't get into Fan Service games.
>>
>>320014675
You're just saying "I didn't like this" and "I didn't like that" with giving any actual reasons. Lots of people loved the music, setting and story.

Also FFX wasn't any easier than any of the other games since IV. When I

The only complaint I can really understand is the lack of world map, but even then, the dungeons are about the same as they were in the ps1 games.
>>
>>319992832

Terrible characters, writing, voice acting, plot, setting, mechanics, mini-games... Basically there is nothing good about it, except above-average graphics (for the time).
>>
>>320018656
just let me know when you want to borrow it bro
>>
It was placed poorly.
X is good, but it isn't as good at IX
VIII is good, but it isn't as good as VII
XIII is good, but it isn't as good as XII
>>
>>320019294
Justin?
>>
>>319995490
the ps3 version is fine
>>
>>319992832
>"This is my story"
>terrible dub with meme VAs like tara strong and bender from TV's futurama
>super, super, super easy battle system that holds your hand the whole time
>99999 damage limits
>fucking bullshit like lightning dodging and chocobo obstacle course
>I mean seriously, the endless fountains of rage that come from that fucking chocobo race. At least lightning dodging is just repetitive action and Blitzball is just a time sink
>other dumb shit sidequests that are basically "BUY THE ULTIMANIA STRATEGY GAIDU HONORABLE OKYAKU-SAN TO INPUT ONE WORD INTO WORLD MAP"
>Seymour is pointless to the plot
>>
File: 1443969319638.jpg (271 KB, 970x646) Image search: [Google]
1443969319638.jpg
271 KB, 970x646
Is Ivalice Alliance ded?
Love their character races, settings, basically all of their designs.
>>
>>319992832
>irrational
I'm sure being turned off by the worst story, characters, and writing in the entire fucking series is 'irrational'. It's not like older FFs, where you can conceivably mash through everything story-related and not care, this one's voice acted and the only way to skip the cutscenes is to leave the room while they play.

If it wasn't for a great post-game it would be the worst FF of all time.
>>
>>319992832

People don't want to admit it's better than 7, but it is. Takes the whole game to go from hating a character to sympathizing them, pretty good bruh.
>>
>>320017632
FFIV and V already did this and they blow X out of the water when it comes to this.

Also, that's the standard for other JRPGs. Nobody cares about the opinion of some faggot who's confined themselves to FF only.
>>
>>320021072
Me too, but SE has left the whole thing to die in a ditch. I still remember the hype that FF XII FORTRESS thing when it was leaked or something.
>>
>>320014675
>The game was super fucking easy, you cant fucking die in the game unless you're a moron.
Started with VI.
>You cant get lost because X was the start of corridor cinematic gameplay.
Started with Mystic Quest.
>The characters are just awful. The story was lame
That's the case more often than not with the FF series. X does have the worst of both to the point where even XIII does both of those better, though.
>I wasn't particularly fond of the art direction and the music.
Agreed.
>Even worse than just being a bad game it pretty much became the template game for them
I'd argue that FFX was merely following off of the template laid out by FFVI.
>>
>>320021431
And don't forget that it is the most linear FF game outside 13.
I'm convinced that you have to be profoundly retarded to like FFX.
>>
>>320022204
>>The game was super fucking easy, you cant fucking die in the game unless you're a moron.
>Started with VI.
You mean started with IV, right? The only slightly hard part of IV is the beginning of the Moon.
>>
>>320022332
Play it yourself before comparing it to a hallway simulator retard.

The fact that you can return to every location and every location has something to offer later on makes it superior to 13 in terms of world.
>>
>>320022515
No, I don't. FFIV is more difficult than any FF that followed it.
>>
>>320016303

[I'm leaving self damning parts in this post in full disclosure.]

>they're melded into the earth their so old.

That's precisely what I said. "This thing belongs here and is seamlessly part of the environment." For instance the Mi'hen road ruins are a pleasing combination of brown/copper and green. Downright from a painting. It's not a ruin that has just collapsed and is in disarray like Trabia Garden. A thing that makes you uneasy. Instead it has fallen in place into "perfection."

And you know full well I've played through the game twice (or more, but actually not more). No need for that.

Calm Lands is not a set piece and neither is the Bevelle in the distance at some points. For example a set piece is the camp in the middle of Calm Lands. No wait this is somewhat bullshit, because actually they are, even if they left no impression me, since the arrival scene on Calm Lands focuses on the party. What is true is that I felt that places were choreographed like a movie, where I would say the way the places and the party are positioned was repeating most of the time. This sounds like bullshit as well, but the truth is somewhere out there and I have a hard time piecing together what the 2011 me must've thought. I know something deeply troubled me about the "movie type distance" some sort of artificiality, too perfectly placed and controlled camera. That something about it was wrong, too non-game, too rigid. Something that made every scene look the same on some level.

>>320016473

>bait

I don't approve of your close-mindedness. People have opinions. My hate has been genuine since 2002, when I first saw Mi'hen road and realized that the build up to the moment in tone when a world map would appear, it didn't and it was just a road in the middle of a wide open space, which according to any logic you could walk on, but couldn't. It was a betrayal.
>>
>>320022675
>FFIV is more difficult than any FF that followed it.
You serious? Why? I don't remember it being hard outside of the first parts of the Moon, unless you're talking about the DS version.

>>320022676
>
I don't approve of your close-mindedness. People have opinions. My hate has been genuine since 2002, when I first saw Mi'hen road and realized that the build up to the moment in tone when a world map would appear, it didn't and it was just a road in the middle of a wide open space, which according to any logic you could walk on, but couldn't. It was a betrayal.
Point taken. I don't particularly liked or like X but I still think your hate for it is a little extreme. The whole doomed paradise setting and aesthethics actually fit the game though. And the music was also kinda melodramatic and sober most of time but still had rhythmic, giving away a feeling of living in a doomed world but still feeling that there's hope for renewal. This whole part was the most positive thing about X for me.
>>
>>320023601
>You serious? Why?
Go play it again and find out. It's not a hard game, but you can't autopilot through the game like you can with FFVI and later.
>>
>>320023913
>Go play it again and find out
I played the DS remake just last January. It was hard, sure. I also played the PSP version more or less an year and half ago and found it piss easy compared to the DS version and barely different than V or VI (SNES versions), how different is the IV SNES version?
>>
>>320024287
The PSP version is seriously nerfed compared to the original SNES game. It's more comparable to the US release of FF2 than it is anything else.
>>
>>320024557
>The PSP version is seriously nerfed compared to the original SNES game.
Ok, that explains it then. I'll give IV SNES a go these holidays and see just how hard it is.
>>
>>320024765
It's significantly easier than the DS game, but it's still much harder than games like FFVI where it's easy to hit the damage cap and easier to break it.
>>
>>320025285
Yeah, the DS IV really gave a fight. And the whole Augment system was awesome. Normal IV is way to "on rails" for me. Almost no customization whatsoever and you can't freely change up your party.
Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.