[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>it takes a strong man to deny what's right in front
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (150 KB, 1280x914) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
150 KB, 1280x914
>it takes a strong man to deny what's right in front of him

All I had to do was stop playing but I wanted to be a fucking hero...

Are there any other games that'll mind fuck you like this game did?
>>
MGS2 I guess but not in the way Spec Ops: The Line did.
>>
>>319989956
I see alot about this game, is it really that good?
>>
>>319990102
no.
>>
>>319990102
It does some very interesting things.

Gameplay itself is mediocre.
>>
>>319990102
Yes and no. Gameplay is just okay but everything else is good. It's unique experience if you give it a chance,
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 232x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 232x300
>>319990030
Yea I never got into the MGS games at first, they were just too slow paced for me. I went in to play Spec Ops thinking it'd be another shooter but I got something completely different. I feel likes its the only game of its kind out there.
>>
>>319990102
It's one of those games like Undertale that can leave a really cool impression on you when you just stumble into it but the more you're pushed to it by other people the less it works.
>>
>>319989956
It's a game that tries to do something different with its story, but fucks it up by having atrocious gameplay that makes you not play the game.
>>
>>319990102
It's not. You don't even get a choice in the matter. Even Memetale lets the player be a jerk or not by choice.
Still worth a playthrough but don't expect it to be what it's hyped up to be.
>>
>>319990117
>>319990161
>>319990171
>>319990250
>>319990305
Seems like you either hate it or love it. Thanks for the feedback guys.
>>
>>319990301
Meant for
>>319990102
>>
>>319989956
Game is bland as hell, I managed to avoid spoilers and was still let down, it barely go's further than some of the COD games and it plays worst to.
"All I had to do was stop playing but I wanted to be a fucking hero"
Is PR still shilling.
PS Gone Home was better because in that games case you could get it all over and be disappointed by the twist in a shorter amount of time.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBbVnuDvFqA

Obligatory
>>
>>319990708
>Fan of the army
These kind of people exist
>>
Pretty good game. TPS mechanics are a little faster and a step up form something like Gears of War, still not great and very generic though. Atmosphere is really good, some good technology, and the non-meta aspects of the story are good.

It stumbles big time with it's message though. And no, not because it forces you to make certain bad decisions, but because it's fundamentally wrong that "war is hell" themes make war unappealing. It's supposed to be a criticism of games glorifying war and not showing the more damaging aspects of it, but there's no merit to it beyond the entertainment value. For all their effort making it more brutal, the killing more personal, the conditions more miserable, and the protagonist darker and conflicted, they've accomplished only making it more entertaining. They ironically made Walker the most glorified and iconic military badass of the modern shooter.

If all of the anti-war and anti-soldier shit had been done tongue-in-cheek, if the game had just a little more self-awareness, it would have be a fucking masterpiece.
>>
Undertale and NieR both have similar ideas that will fuck with the player directly through the story. Undertale is shit though, but you should play Nier. Just don't look up anything about it and remember to get all the endings.

If you're simply talking about breaking the fourth wall, even if it's not story related, MGS and Eternal Darkness do it best.
>>
>>319990972
Its a troll.
>>
The problem with this game is that the only reason to play it is for the twist in story in relation to military dude-bro shooter status-quo.

The effect is dampened when you know where it's going. I'm sure a few people bought it due to "meh I'm bored, this looks fun" and had thier expectations turned on thier head.

But the only reason to play this is the story, and it didn't have the hype behind it to properly do its purpose of subverting the expectations of the average gamer who mindlessly shoots virtual people for fun. The people who did actually play it where the people who wanted that, thus the effect was lost.

If this had been the campaign to MW3 (but in first person I guess) it would have been insane. Instead it was in a game with no other reason to buy it than the parts of its story that are meant to be a surprise.
>>
>>319990250
This. I heard the hype, played it, and merely liked it. Probably would have been better if I stumbled on it, as I'm not mucj into military shooters.
>>
>>319991583
i disagree

how does that make you feel?
>>
>>319995974
This is me. I meant to say that I wouldn't have played it if I hadn't heard hype because it didn't look like my thing.
>>
Saw the twist coming from miles away.
I just kept playing because I wanted to see how deep in shit Walker would end up in.
It was entertaining, seeing him make bad calls over and over again, until there is nothing left to lose.
>>
>>319996306
which twist?

on a separate not

this game is like the silent hill of war games
>>
>>319996420
The fact that it was all Walker's imagination.
>>
I actually enjoyed it equally for it's setting, art design, music and atmosphere than for its story. I feel like those aspects of the game are under-appreciated
>>
File: willyousee.png (75 KB, 366x413) Image search: [Google]
willyousee.png
75 KB, 366x413
>>319989956

>Are there any other games that'll mind fuck you like this game did?

Pathologic, kinda.
>>
>>319989956
>Executions get more ruthless as the game goes on
>Walker sounds angrier when he gives his men order
>All those hallucinations that never get explicitly addressed
>Dying late game instead sometimes cuts to a white flash with Walker standing at the last checkpoint clutching his head
This game was neat.
>>
The idea of the game doesn't go hand to hand with its mechanics. Like stated millions of times, the game forces you to do the atrocious things in the game and then holds you "responsible" for it. This is made worse when the character acknowledges this lack of choice with the whole "I was forced to do this stuff" which kind of makes the whole experience an exercise of victim-blaming from the game onto the player.

Saying that "you could simply turn off the console" is probably the most patronizing essence of "choice" ever placed in a game. Yeah, like I am going to waste money to purchase this game only to be told I need to stop playing in order to prove to no one that I am a "good person". It's lazy meta, and to be honest, calling it meta is really a stretch based on the fact that the story and mechanics are in such conflict with one another.

This game reeks of pretentiousness. There have been better adaptions of Heart of Darkness and there will be in the future. Ultimately, this whole experience feels like the developers watched an arthouse movie, looked up an armchair definition of meta, and tried to build a game around the ideas spawned from that, all without the understanding of how to effectively apply said concepts and what makes it work.
>>
File: specops - handsome profile.png (3 MB, 1361x1119) Image search: [Google]
specops - handsome profile.png
3 MB, 1361x1119
> tfw i got the good ending
>>
>>319998310
I wanted to save Walker's life, and did, but I'm not convinced that's a 'good ending'.

>filename

10/10
>>
>>319998270
>This is made worse when the character acknowledges this lack of choice with the whole "I was forced to do this stuff" which kind of makes the whole experience an exercise of victim-blaming from the game onto the player.
Yeah, or it's meant to reinforce Walker's complete denial towards having committed atrocities. Possibly coinciding with his guilt-driven hallucinations and increasingly shut-out personality, no?
>>
you kept playing the game when you could have shut it off, ur a monster
>>
>>319998729
>or it's meant to reinforce Walker's complete denial towards having committed atrocities
If we're going down the whole "meta" route of the game, in essence, he didn't even have the choice to do anything about anything at all. It really depends on how much of the story is inherent to the gameplay, because as it stands, there is literally no option other than to do those things, which makes the whole ordeal come off as victim-blaming.

This game does not work a single bit from the meta standpoint. It is shallow and a complete failure in that regard.
>>
>>319990102
Nah. It's a meme rip off of a book. Wow you were the villain all along. So ebin.
>>
>>319998913
walker makes the decisions and the player get's to deal with the circumstances

and his choices do matter

like the ending for instance
>>
>>319998913
>If we're going down the whole "meta" route of the game, in essence, he didn't even have the choice to do anything about anything at all
If all you think of a meta narrative is a character actually being the puppet of a player, you have an extremely narrow, convenient view of what meta actually means.

There are multiple meta aspects of the game that, having actually played it, are completely obvious. Player expectations, the attachment/detatchment a player can have with a character, events as pictured through another lens or in another context and typical mindsets are all different meta aspects of the game - but you're only focusing on player agency. Considering the 95% linearity of the story, the meta aspect of it is NOT about player agency.
>>
>>319999237
The ending is the only choice that matters. It's the only choice that alters an outcome. But I like that - in that moment, the player may detach from Walker and become his judge.
>>
>>319989956
>Playing on hard
>Last mission
>Fighting uphill against those turrets
>Gotta use that RPG to blow up the bunker
>Drop the 50.cal sniper I had with full ammo
>Blow up bunker pick sniper back up
>Take out turrets and all enemies I can see easily
>Run up the hill and get killed by a stray enemy
>Checkpoint returns me to where I had just blown up the bunker with the RPG
>Sniper is not on the ground next to me because the level resets with each death
>FUUUU-
>Endlessly die for about half an hour trying to do this section with the SCAR and no fucking secondary weapons
This really pissed me off. Guns carry over from previous levels which I fucking loved. Because you can keep a gun for a situation and plan ahead. I had kept that 50.cal sniper for just the situation I was stuck in and got fucked over by the retarded checkpoint. I enjoyed the rest of the game though
>>
>>319999405
>but you're only focusing on player agency
I'm only focusing on player agency because meta from a video game standpoint can only really focus on the idea of player agency. This is inherently what separates video games from other media. The issue with the meta you're trying to get across is that it would of been better suited for a film who's design is an emphasis on story and an audiences attachment/detachment with the protagonist.

But video game meta has to take the essence of gameplay into account, and there is a large disconnect between what the player from a game standpoint can actually convey as demonstrated in the story, which rides home to my idea of victim blaming.
>>
>>319990102
Its good at baiting a reaction out of you. I like it
>>
>>320000492
>those turrets
>those FUCKING turrets
>>
The game's actual gameplay is fairly dull TPS fare. It has executions, pretty sure you had the pat on the ass for team mates to wake em up but I could be wrong, two gun limit and gritty so real visuals and audio.

However the story is decent for a shooter, the aesthetic of Dubai was good and the sand was phenomenal considering where the game came from. In fact, i'd have been much happier with a game focused entirely on their sand tech and just fucking around in a shooter setting with that.

But hey, if you can grab it for cheap, do so. Not worth 40-60, tentatively 30 if you REALLY like TPS, worth 20 if you're a fan of the genre and ten if you want to see the 'hype'.
>>
>>319989956
>Are there any other games that'll mind fuck you like this game did?

Nier.
>>
>>320000572
>I'm only focusing on player agency because meta from a video game standpoint can only really focus on the idea of player agency. This is inherently what separates video games from other media.
But that's completely wrong. Just because a story is in a video game, does not mean it has to tell a completely video game-exclusive story. A good story told well cannot be considered bad simply because there are other formats which can tell the story similarly. Additionally, you're ignoring the game-only aspects the meta does focus on, such as the desire to continue on to see the end even at the expense of the characters.

>The issue with the meta you're trying to get across is that it would of been better suited for a film who's design is an emphasis on story and an audiences attachment/detachment with the protagonist.
That would have undermined the innate attachment a player has with a character they play as, rather than watch separately. There would have also been a significantly cut story, which would have diminished the quality extremely due to how densely packed it is. It would have completely removed the feeling a player gets from how a level is designed - there are multiple segments of levels devoted to claustrophobia, fleetiness, distraction and entrenchment.

>victim blaming
Who is this victim you keep going on about, anyway? The game makes it obvious towards the end that Walker and the player turn out not to be completely in-sync ideally. Walker is a delusional, denialistic fuck-up whom it is obvious should have stopped 3/4 of the way through the game. Either you haven't played the game and are just parroting shit you've seen on /v/ or you've completely missed the point and have gone and put yourself in Walker's shoes all the way through the end and then felt hurt because the game is attacking your feelings, or something.
>>
>>320002326
Pretty much my opinion.

Nice story, regardless of its 'deeper meaning' that's talked about years after release. The aesthetic and visuals are goddamn delicious.

The gameplay is really solid. But like concrete solid. Really regular kind of solid. Nothing special solid.

Cool voice acting, neat references to Heart of Darkness, the ebin cinematic scenes are pretty awe inspiring, especially considering you get to directly play through most of them.

My favourite part is how the entire journey involves Walker battling on an environment decline, representing his descent into lunacy. Not being pretentious, that's actually it and it's cool okay?
>>
>>319989956
When will you sheltered retards stop posting cringey shit like this?
>>319990102
No
Personally I liked it, I thought it was neat to watch his fall but people praise it way too much
>>
>>320002918
I think it deserves its praise. It's not like it's heralded as a godsend of video game narratives to the bigger audiences, it's just a nice little game that did something (comparatively) unique for a change.

But that's a good way of recommending it. "Neat but not amazing".
>>
>oh gosh I'm so surprised war is bad for you who knew
>ohoh gosh this isn't at all just apocalypse now, journey to the end of the night and fight club in a blender
>oh gosh I'm a basic bitch that saw less than three war movies
>>
>>320003186
Video games lag far behind cinema in dealing with complicated subjects. Spec Ops: The Line is noteworthy.
>>
>>319990102
I just played it because whatever when it was free on PS+ without knowing anything about it.
10/10.

Now if I knew everything before because of /v/ I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have bothered finishing it.
>>
I don't really understand the games that get meta and chastise you for playing them when the whole point is to hope you do.
>>
>>320005664
What games are like that?
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.