[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is better, USA or The Lost Levels?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7
File: SMB2.png (17 KB, 1536x672) Image search: [Google]
SMB2.png
17 KB, 1536x672
Which is better, USA or The Lost Levels?
>>
After having played both but usa way more i would say lost levels
>>
Lost Levels is ROMhack quality.
>>
>>319988236
>rethemed dokidoki panic
>or the actual sequal

Hmm...
>>
>>319989718
>actual different game
>or the same shit as the last one with wonky level design

Hmm....
>>
>>319990654
Didn't want a different game. Much like Zelda 2, I would have much preferred the Japanese version of SMB2 as a sequel.
>>
>>319989650

And SMB USA is chinese bootleg quality.
>>
File: 1380621166843.gif (497 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1380621166843.gif
497 KB, 500x375
>we will never live in an universe where the Japanese SMB2 was treated as the proper sequel, and Nintendo Hard remained popular as an idea to the modern day
>>
I prefer USA over 1 so it's not even a contest...
>>
>>319988236
Lost Levels every day of the week. An actually challenging Mario 2D side scroller vs. baby mode vertical platformer. How is this even a contest?
>>
>The japanese one was a quick cash-in for nintendo to milk some more from mario 1
>The american one is a random cool game with other people property so nintendo reskined with their property to sell overseas

At least the american one is a real game
>>
File: dokidoki.jpg (68 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
dokidoki.jpg
68 KB, 500x500
USA is a much more memorable and unique game that deserves the title of Super Mario Bros. 2.

Lost Levels is a great game and the challenge is nice, but the level design isn't as good as the first game - the amount of bullshit it throws at you that you need to solve blindly goes completely against what made the first game so perfect.

>>319991495
>pretending like you come to Mario games to be challenged
hardcore dude

>>319989718
pic related is you
>>
>>319991806
>pretending like you come to Mario games to be challenged

I like challenging games. And considering the fact the first game was moderately challenging because of no continues, and its direct sequel was much harder on a practical level, what's wrong with playing a Mario game for challenge? They started that way.
>>
>>319991976
The first game isn't very challenging.
>>
File: luigi building his street cred.jpg (447 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
luigi building his street cred.jpg
447 KB, 1200x1600
They're both really good for different reasons.

Mario 2 JP is good for having perfected physics and the best level design of any platformer I've played, and there are a lot of fucking levels. No other platformer comes close to this level of tight quality.
Mario 2 USA is good for having 4 playable characters, a brand new world to play through, different boss fights, fun new mechanics, and vertical platforming.

I know it's a cop out, but I like them both equally.
>>
File: 8574234.jpg (94 KB, 555x678) Image search: [Google]
8574234.jpg
94 KB, 555x678
>implying Doki Doki Panic wasn't born out of design documents originally meant for a Mario game
>implying Mario 2 USA isn't just Mario taking back what is rightfully his
>>
>>319992332
>he best level design of any platformer I've played
You must not have played many platformers.
>>
>>319992658
yeah you expressed that opinion in this thread already, shut up now.
>>
Super Mario Bros 2 Japan is mostly assets recycled from Super Mario Bros, but arranged into troll levels. No new music and very few texture changes. Adding wind and poison mushrooms isn't a lot. Super Mario Bros 2 USA is arguably the better game. It was made by the same team as Super Mario Bros, you can explore levels forwards and backwards, varied boss battles, and there's character selection that matters. Super Mario Bros 2 Japan isn't a bad game, but I'd rather sit down and play the original or Doki Doki panic.
>>
>>319991976
Play DKC if you want a challenge. That's how Nintendo platforms work: Kirby is Easy Mode, Mario is Normal, and Donkey Kong Country is Hard. Mario 2 being excessively difficult is the exception, not the norm.
>>
I had much more fun with USA even though it's literally a mario themed reskin of a preexisting game. I still liked LL to an extent though.
>>
>>319994334
>Donkey Kong Country is Hard
what
>>
File: campbellwhyte8.jpg (39 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
campbellwhyte8.jpg
39 KB, 400x400
>>319988236
Lost Levels didn't really do anything new. I also thing the level design is less smooth than SMB1. It's not bad but it doesn't feel like a sequel. It feels like SMB1 part 2. Or as already mentioned a rom hack...
SMB2USA feels like a new game. It has new mechanics, creatures, scenery and music.
It is just the most worthy sequel of the two...
>>
>>319995008
*think

fuck me
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.