[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am i the only one who gets pissed about how games are being overrun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: big friend.jpg (36 KB, 371x275) Image search: [Google]
big friend.jpg
36 KB, 371x275
Am i the only one who gets pissed about how games are being overrun by generic anime trash? I am talking about fire emblem, pokemon, final fantasy, etc. Where are the real video game characters at? Where did the cool protags go? I get mad everytime my weeb friends talk about these shitty anime games and I see the games industry continue to pander to the anime crowd rather than non anime shit. I don't even hate jap games entirely I just want more metroid or mad world or duke noukem even and less GOD DAMNED BLUE HAIRED SWORDSMEN.
>>
You sound triggered
>>
There were WAY more anime inspired games last console gen. Anime shit is on a downswing.
>>
>>319978650
Anime culture/mentality took over the world.
Every girl wants to be an anime princess, every guy wants to be a modern anime hero.
Look at all the hair color and dress trends, especially in the trendy game and modern internet culture. Look at movies, bands etc.
Its not happening only in games.
>>
>>319978650
Where have you been, there are fewer popular Japanese games than ever
>>
>>319978739
I am man it's 20 fucking 15 and these niggas still play pokemon like it was ever a good rpg with any depth.
>>
>>319978925
People like what's familiar to them. Nostalgia is powerful, familiar childish things grant them the feeling of security and contentedness they had in childhood. It's a form of escapism and escapism is the whole point of video games. I'm going to guess your tastes have changed and theirs haven't and that's what makes you mad.
>>
>>319978650
>generic anime trash? I am talking about fire emblem, pokemon, final fantasy, etc

Okay. Name 5 games that came out in the past 5 years (for console, since that is what the real issue is) that involve Fire Emble, Pokemon and Final Fantasy.

Hand helds and PC do not count because this is a bait thread and bait threads never try to argue fair.
>>
>>319978650
>pokemon
>cool protags
Pokemon has shit protags

The only cool protag is Hilda
>>
>>319979208
I dunno I never really liked anime at all as a kid. Not to just meme, but I always felt like it was cringey. I wouldn't even watch anime-ish western shows like Samurai Jack and Avatar. I have actually really opened up to more eastern shit as time has gone on and I realize I was too close minded in the past. But I still can't bring myself to see the draw of what seems like generic cash grab anime games like persona or final fantasy. I still like the same games I did and I have always played both eastern and western games. I just always preferred more superstar saga than tales of symponia.

Can someone explain to me why people like these games? Pokemon is pretty much eastern call of duty where it is the same shit shovelled out time after time year after year.

I just cant get into the mindset here and I am tired of not being able to enjoy things the people I enjoy hanging out with enjoy.
>>
>>319979520
This is getting a little too bloggy, but I think either I didn't type things well enough or you misread what I meant to say. I was trying to say that those were examples of bad protag games.
>>
>>319978650
Fuck you I love Trumpets: The Game and you can't stop me
>>
>>319979590
It's just what you prefer man.
>>
File: 1440269955868.jpg (34 KB, 400x376) Image search: [Google]
1440269955868.jpg
34 KB, 400x376
>>319978650
>walk into gamestop
>check 3ds section
>it's 90% poorly localized weeb trash with ridiculous names that don't make any fucking sense like "bravely default," "stella glow, "legend of legacy," etc.
>look them up, they're all really highly rated
>turns out they have more depth, content, and refinement than xbox/ps shitter games and they only cap out at like $40
>mfw i almost bought a console
>>
>>319978650
>I am talking about fire emblem, pokemon, final fantasy, etc
L M A O

You know nothing.
>>
I have and always will recoil in disgust at the anime art style. It's just so... bad. Like I could see Japanese people liking it because of it being their pop culture or whatever but why do faggots in the west pretend to find it appealing?
>>
>>319979950
feminine is beauty
>>
I forgot to mention it, but the king crowner of the shit pile for me is kingdom hearts. Why do people jizz themselves over stiffly animated 3d renders of disney characters fan ficcing about with final fantasy oc's.

It fucking hurts me that that shit can exist at all but franchises like megaman and bomberman are essentially fucking dead forever.
>>
>>319979950
It's standardized over there, meaning there's at least a bit of standard to uphold. I personally can't stand how 90% of Western games model women's faces.
>>
>>319978925
People don't play games based on their depth sperglord. They play games to unwind and relax. It's a hobby not something to autistically obsess over.
>>
>>319979950
nice copypizza
>>
>>319980143
I play it because of the Disney, which is kind of the exact opposite of anime influence.

Mickey having the starring role he deserves, Goofy and Donald having some actual character to them that hasn't been seen since A Goofy Movie, getting to go through some of my favorite western movies as a kid like Aladdin, Lion King, etc.

It's all in good fun.
>>
File: Bravely Default.png (111 KB, 622x378) Image search: [Google]
Bravely Default.png
111 KB, 622x378
>>319979747
Bravely Default makes sense, it's literally what the protagonists do for half the game.
>>
>>319980423
I could probably get into it more if i didn't have to play as fuckpants sora. he just looks so lame. And I have tried the games before, they just seemed very simple and repetitive. and with half of the crossover characters being uninteresting to me I just couldn't stick around.
>>
File: japan.jpg (501 KB, 1600x1016) Image search: [Google]
japan.jpg
501 KB, 1600x1016
>>
>>319980856
Therein lies the problem with the western world's compulsive obsession with science and realism in every aspect of life and art
>>
>>319979590
I agree with you that pokemon has oustayed its welcome but the first few were genuinely good games.

I like JRPGS but I'm not super into the cookie cutter ones like Tales and Atelier and all of that either. I liked the more 80s and early 90s styled anime stuff where you had less of the little girls doing cute things borderline pedophilia thing.

People like that shit because it's clean and predictable and pleasant and has waifus. How formulaic they are is actually a virtue to some people, it's like a TV tropesers dream.
>>
>>319980856
That picture works until you realize that Grigory is pretty much the most perfectly designed classic western dragon and the only thing putting Kalameet out of that is his cyclops eye. The Skryim wyverns look like MMO garbage.
>>
>>319981219
This, please explain this. I feel like you are close to what I am looking for as a way for me to understand this.

I enjoy me some tvtropes, but I do not enjoy just repeating the same actions over and over willingly in games. I get that its good for a laugh or two, but why not just watch a good or even bad movie if you just want to passively experience a laugh?
>>
File: 2000px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png (343 KB, 2000x1200) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png
343 KB, 2000x1200
>>319980856
What?
>>
>>319981367
Remember how when you were a kid and you were able to watch the same cartoons over and fucking over again and they never got boring, or you wanted your parents to read the same story to you all the time?

Some people want that in the entertainment as adults, but with the necessary bare minimum of changes to satisfy their adult brain's need for variety.

Think about it, this is basically what all legal and crime dramas are, and they're the most popular kinds of shows overall on television.
>>
>>319982187
I can get that I guess, thanks anon for the help.
>>
>>319978925
like you enjoy complaining about what OTHER people do theres other people who play games like normal people
>>
>>319981614
>being this dense
>>
>>319978739
trigger meme epic dude real epic man high fives all around dude :--DDDD
>>
Is Op just complaining about Japanese games in general or is he genuinely pissed that art has shifted to Kirito clones and moeblobs?
>>
File: 1436527383549.jpg (59 KB, 658x960) Image search: [Google]
1436527383549.jpg
59 KB, 658x960
>>319978650
It must suck that japan isn't literally catering to your tastes, but rather mine.
>>
>>319978650
It's easy.
>>
>>319985390
pretty sure the latter.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.