[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The year is 1994. Sonic 3 & Knuckles were decent successes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: YDIlnfb.png (302 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
YDIlnfb.png
302 KB, 640x480
The year is 1994. Sonic 3 & Knuckles were decent successes earlier in the year, and SEGA is gearing up to release the new SEGA Saturn very soon. You get put in charge of a team of competent developers to make a new, 3D Sonic game for the system.

Bearing in mind, Sonic hasn't had a truly shit mainline game yet, and the Saturn hasn't had time to flop. The future of Sonic and maybe even SEGA as a whole rests upon the fate of this game.

What kind of game do you make?
>>
bamp
>>
>>319964754
A racing game with a kickass soundtrack
>>
>>319965617
Not going to lie, I'd play the shit out of a Sonic R that had half decent controls and the draw distance of the PC version

A man can dream
>>
Sonic Adventure
>>
>>319966215
This.

Honestly Sonic R is one of my favorite racing games, it doesn't play like a generic "mascot racer" and feels like a 3D Sonic.
>>
>>319964754
2D game on the whole with 3D bosses and some 3D landscapes.

Bonus Stages utilize 3D environs (good way to experiment with the new tech).
>>
Sonics big score

I just copy san andreas and reskin it to be a sonic game
>>
>>319964754
sonic the hedgehog first person shooter

worked for metroid
>>
>>319964754
Fuck! I almost forgot about Sonic xtream.
I was hyped as fuck for that game only for it to be canceled ;_;
>>
>>319966572
Sonic CD already did that.
The correct answer is a Crash style game but with more control, while retaining the fixed camera to avoid any issues.
Give the game some good music, good level design, a nice feel for acceleration and a proper speed up maneuver like the spin dash and you're golden.
Sadly sonic team was/is a bunch of fucking retards.
>>
>>319964754
Instead of making one game, I use my resources to
>Finish Sonix X-treme with a less retarded title and story
>Fix Sonic R character balance and controls
>Get Sonic the Fighters ported to the Saturn with a bit more dev time to iron out mechanics and make Honey unique
>>
Keep it playing 2D for the most part. Some stage sections and bosses can switch up to 3D, but only enough so that we can manage it and have it still play well.

Or just go balls out and make it sully 3D with ridiculous max speed and acceleration on Sonic.
>>
>>319966750
There is a guy who got hold of a build of the game and is working on porting it to PC
>>
File: Sega_Saturn_Free_Fall.png (834 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Sega_Saturn_Free_Fall.png
834 KB, 800x600
Ooooh boy, I've had ideas for this one for quite a while
>Isometric gameplay like Sonic 3D Blast, but with a more traditional A-to-B structure and longer levels instead of the Flicky collecting gimmick bullshit
>A similar visual style and models to those used in Sonic World/Sonic Jam instead of prerendered stuff
>Playable Tails and Knuckles, along with other staples from Sonic 3 and Knuckles like mini-bosses and the different shield types, Hyper Sonic, etc)
>At least 12 zones with 2 acts a piece
>The Special Stages would be 2.5D acts with the same physics and gameplay as the Genesis titles
>There would be Bonus Stages too, like in Sonic 3 & Knuckles
>One of them would be the Sonic Pool bonus stage they were working on (see: http://info.sonicretro.org/images/7/71/SonicSaturn_4.jpg)
>The other would be the tunnel bonuses from Sonic 3D Blast Saturn (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np76lPXKfCo)
>Music by Richard Jacques and TJ Davis, the composer and singer responsible for Sonic R and 3D Blast
>Awesome promotional art like pic related
>Re-use of some Sonic X-Treme concepts, like bosses and enemies and environment concepts (see: https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_X-treme_enemies)
It's a damn shame when you think about it, because they clearly had the resources to make a great Sonic game. Literally everything in my list aside from playable Tails/Knuckles and more zones had already been achieved in that era, but they couldn't get their act together for one solid main Sonic game because of all the company politics and infighting. SEGA are retards and they deserved to crash and burn given how incompetent they acted during the 32X/CD/Saturn era.
>>
>>319967236
>Finish Sonic X-treme with a less retarded title and story
Really? That game looked like it was on a collision course to being a complete disaster. It had a few solid concepts but the gameplay, engine and the development team were all falling to fucking bits and had no solid sense of direction. If Sonic X-Treme as we know it actually got finished, it'd just end up being another mediocre pseudo-Sonic game, like 3D Blast was
>>
>>319969267
I actually thought 3d Blast wasn't too bad
>>
>Sonic 3D Blast is a bad Sonic game
This meme needs to die. It's a pretty good game by its own merits.

What Sonic X-treme needed in order to succeed was for Sega not having scrapped the game several times during development.
>>
>>319970209
Sonic 3D Blast was ruined by the Flicky collecting mechanic imo. It had all the staples of a good Sonic game translated into a 3D (well, isometric) environment, but then they had to dick it up and turn it into a Knuckles' treasure hunt tier borefest. If it had the exact same graphics, exact same physics and exact same music, but it was a simple A-to-B platformer with longer levels and maybe Super Sonic thrown in for good measure, it'd have been a thoroughly decent title
>>
File: 1320429318374.jpg (15 KB, 148x234) Image search: [Google]
1320429318374.jpg
15 KB, 148x234
Take Knuckles Chaotix and port it to the Saturn. Sonic 3D Blast? Keep it on the Genesis, focus on X-treme. It won't age well, but it will do what it's supposed to do for the time being. Maybe do a second Chaotix game, along with Sonic R.

Sonic Jam will be the second main Sonic game, think Adventure but with the classic designs. Jam was almost just that.
>>
>>319972051
makes you wonder. considering the timeframe in which Chaotix was released, why wasn't it on the Saturn in the first place? I mean, for that matter, why did they bother with the 32X at all, but that's a topic for another day
>>
>>319972837
>but that's a topic for another day
No, we'll talk about that now.

See, SEGA of Japan hated that SEGA of America was competent and doing all the work for them, and doing so in droves. So, what do they do as a response? Develop the Saturn in secrecy and then tell the US branch to focus on the 32X, when the Saturn was already known. Even worse, in an attempt to compete with the PS1 and later the N64, they added a 3D module onto the console. What was supposed to be an easy to develop for 2D console with more 3D-ish effects was now an unneedlessly complex console that was hard to develop for(Said complexity is why Saturn emulation is still a pain to do to this day).

In addition to that, people who went to the 32X got ripped off and swore off SEGA entirely, with a surprise announcement of the Saturn. Retailers even refused to sell it in their stores because of it. The games that did get developed either didn't make it outside Japan or weren't good. Not to say that the Saturn was a flop, but it was. The Sonic game that we were supposed to get? Yuji got mad that it used the NiGHTS engine without his approval, and he threw a fit. Eventually, X-Treme got cancelled, and we lost our potential console seller. Japan kept it going with Segata Sanshiro, but the losses in the west was what killed it, and eventually SEGA itself. When the Dreamcast came along, it was already too late to fix the damage.

tl;dr SEGA Japan ruined Sonic, even when they got it right. Sorry, I got caught up in posting this.
>>
>>319964754
I'd start development on two games. The first of these two games would be a mostly 2D sonic with a few 3D gimmicks like springs that can send you into the foreground and background (scaling sprites) and true 3D special stages.

The purpose of this game would be to quickly release a quality Sonic game using a formula known to work to buy time and instant satisfaction while the unproven 3D game is still in development.
Boom, Saturn is saved.
>>
>>319966536
sanicball is the SHIN sonic R
>>
>>319974102
this is pretty much all they needed to do. Sonic 4 (a real one, not the shit we got), and then Sonic Adventure with worse graphics, less emphasis on story and without big or amy as playables.

It would have been so easy. I blame Yuji Naka letting the fame get to his head. He didn't want to work on another Sonic because he thought he was too good to work on sequel after sequel (instead making NIGHTS), which is fine except that he also wouldn't let any of his work be used in Sonic X-Treme. He was a kid throwing a tantrum, effectively. He didn't want to make Sonic, but he didn't want anybody else working on his precious franchise so did all he could to sabotage it. What a dick.
>>
The fact that SEGA put me in charge of the next entry is a highly possible one considering how fucking stupid the publisher is
>>
I'd tell Yuji Naka that his NiGHTS game is getting pushed back until the next Sonic game is out in time for the Saturn's launch.

You can experiment AFTER I have my system seller you dumb fuck.
>>
>>319975151
>Yuji Naka
Hows the 3DS Rodea?
I'm still pissed they didn't put out a demo
>>
>>319975612
does anybody actually give a fuck about that game?

Naka is clearly a programmer not an ideas guy. Everything with his name on it since NiGHTS has been average-to-shit
>>
something like the robo blast doom mods
>>
>>319964754
Controls like adventure
levels often have most of their distance on the Z axis (front to back of the starting camera) with some Y axis (up/down), about as much as a good Sonic 1 or 2 level. X axis (left to right, width) can usually fit on two screens. basically the levels would be streamlined, but with the vertical "layer" design of Green Hill or Emerald Hill, levels will feel fleshed out due to having multiple paths.
Camera like adventure
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.