[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just realized they're going to use the retarded 'Aerith'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 11
File: FQljA.gif (16 KB, 467x397) Image search: [Google]
FQljA.gif
16 KB, 467x397
I just realized they're going to use the retarded 'Aerith' name in the remake instead of Aeris (see crisis core).

>Buh, buh anon, in Japan they don't have a sound for -

I don't fucking care. Aerith sounds retarded.
>>
this topic sounds retarded
>>
>"I don't fucking care"
>why post?....

>why live?
>>
>>319951795
did you just draw that because its awesome and funny at the same time
>>
>>319951795
I've always thought this too.

Aerith just sounds like an unfinished word
>>
>>319951958
>>why live?
This one can easily be answered, weakness and fear.
>>
>I just realized
Based on what? Your shitty speculation isn't proof of anything.
>>
We'be had sis sread a sousand times aready. Sere's no reason to be sis sickheaded about it, sank you bery much.
>>
>>319952475
Every piece of released material after the OG game calls her Aerith.
Crisis core calls her Aerith.
The press releases call her Aerith.

>No proof shitty speculation!

You're a special kind of retarded aren't you?
>>
>>319952716
That doesn't work because you replaced every th, instead of just the ones at the end of words.
Try again?
>>
Both names sound retarded, just change it entirely.
>>
>>319952952
Don't fuck wis me, I'b done se mas and wakked se pas, and I'm not afraid to drag you to se depss of se ocean.
>>
>>319952828
So basically it's shitty speculation.

Trashed.
>>
For all intents and purposes, does it really matter?
>>
Aeris is what I go with because its what I grew up with, and Aerith sounds retarded mainly because I'm used to the former.
>>
>>319951795
>being this autistic
It was an error. Get over it. I bet you call Tidus, Tide-ess
>>
>>319951795
Not only will they use Aerith but all the spells will use those fucking atrocious suffixes
>>
>changing it to Aeris
>supporting censorship
>>
>>319952985
Yeah just call her, Ipermadielater
>>
>>319952278
Aerrythmmia
>>
>>319954060
Exactly.
That's why I always rename Sabin to Mash, Kefka to Cefca and Cloud to Kurou.
>>
>>319951795
You just NOW realized?

God DAMN you're a retard. That pic is a drawing of you wearing a wig & dress, innit.
>>
Aeris sounds better. This is fact.
>>
>>319953996
Aerith is bordering it but Tee-dus is absolutely unacceptable, sounds retarded.
>>
>>319953996
>calling him tee-dus
He has strong ties to water not golf, nerd.
>>
>>319954248
Its actually Kuraudo
>>
>>319954602
Gotcha!
Weeaboo test!
>>
Cloud is a shitty name, they should change it to Claude because that sounds better.
>>
File: Tifa tight.jpg (340 KB, 550x1000) Image search: [Google]
Tifa tight.jpg
340 KB, 550x1000
E A RI SU
エアリス

Is her Japanese name.
Each syllable.
ay-uh-ri-su
when saying su, the u sound is typically "dropped"
ay-uh-ris

tl;dr
Its Aeris.
>>
>>319953957
Shut the fuck up Onsokumaru
>>
>>319954720
Thanks, moon sage.
>>
>>319954060
>basic translation is censorship
>>
File: Aerith_ultimania_omega_scan.png (2 MB, 1051x1500) Image search: [Google]
Aerith_ultimania_omega_scan.png
2 MB, 1051x1500
>>319954720

Yeah, Aeris.
>>
>>319952828
And yet everyone older than 12 calls her Aeris
>>
>>319951795
Aerith sounds like Earth, as in the element.
Earth wind fire etc.
>>
>>319953996
So why not call her Alice in the remake?
Oh wait, i guess you didn't even know that's what her name was meant to be and you're one of the fucking retards who fell for them shitting out the "i earth" anagram so it looks somewhat deep.
>>
>>319954964
Oh. That makes sense.
So it's like SeFIREoth.
Cid HighWIND
Aerith
WATERuai
>>
>>319954525
Nah, Aerith sounds retarded in. every language, because the only way to pronounce it is the English way.

Tidus in the other hand only is a problem for English speakers because they don't fucking know how letters are pronounced, unlike the rest of the world.
>>
>>319954026
>shitting on the RaGa system
Can nostalgiafags sink any lower?
>>
>>319955135
I was thinking more like Cloud in the sky, they're probably better in Japanese. It's just a theory.

A Game Theory
>>
>>319954564
Tidus comes from tida, the okinawan wors for sun.
Care to remember what sigil and mark you needed for his final weapon?
>>
>>319954720
Actually, her name is Alice.
>>
>>319955442

The fact that people in these threads always try to state something as subjective as whether a name "sounds retarded" as fact is hilarious.
>>
>>319955582
Oh I always thought it was supposed to be like tide as in tidal.
>>
>>319955462
it's fucking stupid and nonsensical
>>
>>319955442
How's that, exactly? I'm genuinely curious, in which what other languages using Anglo script does Tidus lend itself to being pronounced "Tee-dus?"
>>
>>319951795
Aeris has always been a mistransliteration, and your nostalgia doesn't make it correct.

>>319954720
SE FI RO SU
セフィロス

Is his Japanese name.
Each syllable.
seh-fee-roh-su
when saying su, the u sound is typically "dropped"
seh-fee-roh-s

tl;dr
Sephiros

>>319954759
For once in his life he's actually said something rational and correct.

The only people who want her to stay Aeris are those who can't get over the fact that the name they knew her as was incorrect.
>>
>>319955923
It takes all of two seconds to figure out, and is consistent across the spectrum of spells.
Sorry that you need a pre-school number guide to keep your power-levels straight.
>>
>>319955901

Nope. There's a reason why his crest is a Sun, same reason why Yuna's is a Moon.
>>
>>319956009
Literally anyone except English, anon. And maybe french, but they are gay.
>>
>>319955860
The fact people have different aesthetic tastes is weird to you? What world do you live in, one where every opinion is dismissed for being an opinion?
>>
>>319955098
>>319955685
エアリス Aerith
アリス Alice

There's a whole other syllable in her name, that's why she isn't Alice.
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 538x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 538x500
Anyone who says Teed-us either played dissidia before ten or has a brain hemorrhage.
Tide-us sounds infinitely better.
>>
>>319955685
エアリス
Aeris

アリス
Alice

Nope, definitely not.
>>
>>319956290

Did you miss the part where I wrote "as fact"? Or can you not read?
>>
>>319956348
>I don't like how something is, so I'm going to pretend it's something different!

Literally putting your head in the sand.
>>
>>319956026
Does that mean Alice is really Alith?
>>
>>319956101
you know what else is consistent and doesn't sound fucking stupid?
2, 3 and 4.
>>
>>319956232
the fuck are you talking about? It was Aeris in Spanish, French, Polish, even German. You can check her Wikipedia page in different languages to see
>>
>>319956348
I will always say Tide-us. Don't care how its pronounced. Teed-us sounds so stupid.
>>
>>319956576
So you do need a pre-school number system.
>>
>>319956436
the guy you were quoting wasn't stating it "as fact." He was giving an opinion. Can you not read?
>>
>>319956026
Sephiroth is a real word, dude
>>
>>319956232
Fair enough, I suppose, but checking this out for myself it seems like all those other languages are inclined to pronounce the "u" as a long u- that being, pronouncing it "tee-doos." And that's certainly not correct.

Really what I'm getting at is every language has its own unique nuances that make attempts at standardizing spellings a pain. Anyone slightly familiar with Japanese ought to know that "i" is always pronouncing "ee," but Tidus isn't exactly a Japanese name, and mispronunciations of Japanese loan words are already heavily ingrained into English. It's not really a point worth dwelling on.
>>
>>319956534
I just ain't trying to sound retarded
>>
Ket-shee, not Kate Sith
>>
Dr. Eggman Robotnik
>>
>>319956549
No
Firstly because it's an English name.
Secondly because "su" can still be an S sound.

The problem with Aerith's original translation is that whoever did her name didn't even bother to check for accuracy.

It was already translitered in the game files and in the manual for the JP copy.

They also fucked up her last name but nobody seems to care about that.

"Aeris" is a no-context translation where context existed.

>>319956794
The word is Sephirot, which would be セフィロト in Japanese. They changed the last syllable, possibly just to make it sound better as a name.
>>
>>319956026
You're wrong, actually.
Why? Because there' no Aerith or Aeris name and the way Japanese works makes it more than obvious the name should have been Alice.
Though this little fuckup isn't so bad as Aeris actually sounds ok. In Berserk there's a girl called Silke, but because japs can't into English she's called Shierke (no si, only shi in japanese; no l, shared with r).

Now the thing on Sephiroth you have wouldn't be ao wrong, except that the refernce obviously were the Sefirot of the Kabbalah. But again because the japs can't into any language that isn't there own the thought that it should be pronounced with an 'th' sound at the end, instead if a hard 't'. And because they're actually unable to pronounce a 'th' they say Sefirosu.

tl;dr translators back then and japs evem to today are fucking retards.
Aeris/th is supposed ti be Alice.
Sephiros/th is supposes to be Sefirot.
>>
File: 1449977820767.png (3 MB, 1051x1500) Image search: [Google]
1449977820767.png
3 MB, 1051x1500
>>319954876
Get outta here with your shitty photoshop
>>
File: aerithCindy.png (486 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
aerithCindy.png
486 KB, 720x540
>>
>>319957050
>and the way Japanese works makes it more than obvious the name should have been Alice.
Let me show you something.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/不思議の国のアリス

Check out the way "Alice" is rendered in kana.
Now check Aerith's name.
>>
>>319956727
>Nah, Aerith sounds retarded in. every language

Is what was said. Which is clearly stating an opinion as fact, unless you're illiterate.
>>
>>319956895
Cat Sith
>>
>>319956661
"Tide-us. Like Tides. Ya know, since the game is all water based and shit."

That's how I view it, and that's how it stays.
>>
>>319957336
And you think they actually caref about that?
It's ONE way to write i, not the only one. Japs generally write shit in katakana like they're pronounced.
>>
>>319956978
What context?
>>
File: titus.jpg (29 KB, 490x232) Image search: [Google]
titus.jpg
29 KB, 490x232
>>319957529
Or the like the old Fox show.
>>
>>319957460
the fuck are you talking about? That's clearly stated as an opinion. You've got brain problems if you think an opinion must always be prefaced with IT'S JUST MY OPINION AND EVERYONE HAS ONE BUT or some shit
>>
File: 4197bb1c.jpg (89 KB, 713x700) Image search: [Google]
4197bb1c.jpg
89 KB, 713x700
>>319957184
>Can't even put the s on level with the rest of the letters

Get better at photoshop.
>>
>>319951795
I just always associate the character with the name Aeris, doesn't matter if they use the Aerith version or not.
>>
>>319957624

You're right, someone stating that something is factually bad in every language is clearly an opinion. What was I thinking?
>>
>>319957580
Anyone who says "its Alice" if objectively wrong.
Theres at least debate between Aerith and Aeris.

Aerith and Aeris have the same written from in Katakana, Alice does not.
>>
>>319957727
You're adding the word "factually", retard. Saying something is bad in every language is an opinion and it's presented as an opinion.
>>
>>319957585
The context of the game files and JP manual which already had her name translated.

>>319957580
>It's ONE way to write i, not the only one.
No, it's the only one. Japanese is a phonetic language. There is only ONE way to write everything.

>>319957624
You didn't phrase it in a way that presents it as an opinion.
It definitely looks like a statement of fact.
>>
>>319957867
I didn't phrase it, I took it as an opinion.

I swear you kids, people can't even state an opinion anymore without the PC police deciding to remind you that it is, in fact, an opinion.
>>
>People seriously arguing this
it's autism, isn't it?
>>
>>319956629
We're talking Tidus here you illiterate moron.

>>319956815
Well, I speak german, know how the italian and spanish pronounce their shit, as well as how the japanese do it.
In all that languages you would pronounce it Teedus unless there ar accents on some letters. Most other languages in Europe wouldn't be too far of either, most have very similar pronunciation of the letters.
>>
>>319957867
>No, it's the only one. Japanese is a phonetic language. There is only ONE way to write everything.

I mean, I agree that it's obviously not Alice, but I don't know if that's really true. Or rather, that that's really true when it comes to transliterating English words. English can be a pretty screwy language, both because of the multitude of sounds not present in Japanese, and also simply because its phonetic rules are all over the place.
>>
>>319957978
>PC police
If anything it's grammar Nazism

Saying "X is Y" does not present the idea as an opinion. It's a statement of truth.
This is linguistics 101.

Obviously the idea presented is an opinion, but whether the speaker himself is aware of that is up for question when they state it in a way that implies otherwise.
>>
I don't see what the big deal is.
Aerith sounds fine. Aeris sound good too. Why do so many people argue over such a small thing. If it was voice acted, it would have mattered how it should actually be.
Like how silly Tidus is pronounced, Teed-us. It sound wrong
>>
you retards wanted your remake and here it is enjoy it lol :^)
>>
>>319958163
>Saying "X is Y" does not present the idea as an opinion. It's a statement of truth.

I seriously hope you don't believe this. How can you have an opinion if you can't state that X is Y? Say you believe in string theory. You say "string theory is real." That's an opinion, you don't need to preface it with "in my opinion" in order for it to be an opinion.
>>
>>319958057
>I don't know if that's really true. Or rather, that that's really true when it comes to transliterating English words
It is.

There is one way (most of the time) to pronounce any given word.

Even if there are multiple ways, when you port it to Japanese it becomes one way, and that's the way it's spelt, and that's the way it will always be pronounced in Japanese.

That's just how the language is. The beauty of Japanese is that it's never a question how you say something.

>>319958418
>How can you have an opinion if you can't state that X is Y?
You use qualifying phrases such as "I think" or "I feel that" or "I believe."

This is not rocket science.

>You say "string theory is real." That's an opinion
In the context of an unproven scientific theory, this is an assertion.
>>
English is weird to me because vowels have completely different sounds depending on the word. It's like you guys pick pronunciation out of a hat.
>>
>>319958551
>You use qualifying phrases such as "I think" or "I feel that" or "I believe."
>In the context of an unproven scientific theory, this is an assertion.

Both of these are opinions expressed in the form of "X is Y"
>>
>>319958649
>Both of these are opinions expressed in the form of "X is Y"
No, they are both opinions expressed as factual.

Is English not your first language?
>>
>>319958037

Yes.

Remember, Square is literally making this to appeal to oldfags and new, and they'd be crazy to change Aeris at this point.

There's no way they don't know what a hot button for autism it will throw everyone into.
>>
>>319958723
I should ask the same to you. Those two things are not mutually exclusive, though you're wrong that they're "opinions expressed as factual".
>>
>>319951795

Air + Earth = Aerith
>>
>>319951795
When they translated the game, they knew damn well it was "Aerith". However, they were smart, and realized this name sounds absolutely retarded in English, and so they made the wise decision to call her "Aeris".

Sometimes, 100% accuracy isn't a good thing. Or else Castlevania would have the Belmondo clan.
>>
>>319958809
>though you're wrong that they're "opinions expressed as factual".
I'd like to know how, if you can even possibly prove this.

"X is Y" is a statement regarding the state of things. It's meant to convey a truth.
The sky is blue.
Raccoons are mammals.
Wood is porous.

You need a qualifier of some kind to change the certainty of the statement.
>>
File: 1400016046027.png (297 KB, 469x361) Image search: [Google]
1400016046027.png
297 KB, 469x361
>>319958798
>at this point
>>
>>319959073
Is English really not your first language? You could also phrase a sentence like "the Republicans are right", "kittens are cute", "this song is good." Those aren't "stated as facts", they're opinions. You use the context of the sentence to determine whether it's an opinion or a fact.
>>
>>319959052
>Sometimes, 100% accuracy isn't a good thing. Or else Castlevania would have the Belmondo clan.

And Terra would be called "Tina".
>>
>>319959052
>Sometimes, 100% accuracy isn't a good thing.
See Ted Woolsey's FF6 and Chrono Trigger localizations
>>
>>319956361
They are calling her.
>Eeee, Alice, come over here.
>>
File: Untitled.png (44 KB, 1259x892) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
44 KB, 1259x892
>>319959336
why can't I get off this garbage website
>>
>>319959729
No but for real, you're saying that every time somebody says "this movie is scary" they should preface it with "IN MY OPINION" so nobody would be confused that, as a universal law of nature, the movie is scary?
>>
>>319959571

See also:

>Metal Gear Solid
>All of Jeremey Blaustein's localizations

The dialogue in MGS has a more natural feel to it than the other MGS games, which feel more awkward.
>>
>>319959336
>Those aren't "stated as facts", they're opinions.
They are opinions and they are stated as fact.

This could be defined as a claim.

"Aerith sounds retarded in every language" is a claim, an assertion of an opinion as fact, capable of being scrutinized and challenged.

An opinion flat-out cannot be challenged because it's entirely subjectived. But a claim has to have backing and reason.

Compare to "I don't like 'Aerith.'"
This is an opinion, but it is also a statement of truth. It cannot be challenged.
>>
Who fucking cares, you god damned autists.
>>
>>319959947
"I don't like Aerith" and "Aerith sounds retarded in every language" are functionally equivalent. Neither is a claim, they are not an argument because neither can be scrutinized or challenged. It's clear that it's the author's opinion that he doesn't like "Aerith"
>>
>>319951795
the japanese are saying "aerith" though, just with really limited phonetics. if you want to use what they say, it's エアリス. that's "earisu", not "aeris".
you want it to be "sephiross" too?
>>
>>319959947
also see >>319959903
>>
>>319955860
Ok, listen here, dipshit. I know that the only language you're capable if speaking is English so pay close attention or your retarded brain mightiss out on the point again.

There is no 'th' sound in literally any language except English. Meaning that if the name would be Aerith almost everyone who doesn't speak English would pronounce it Aerit, because they wouldn't know how to pronounce it other wise. And Aerit is a fucking retarded and bad name, even more so for a girl. There also was no voice acting in games back then that would have people shown how it's pronounce it.

It worked for Sephiroth, because it's actually meant to be pronounced with a hard 't' at the end, but it simply wouldn't work for Aerith.
>>
>>319960669
>There is no 'th' sound in literally any language except English.
it's not common, sure, but other languages have the sound, or similar voiceless dental whatever-they're-called... anyway i don't really think commonness is any proof myself. since japanese has such limited phonemes or whatever, they seem (as i've observed, at least) to actually care less about the accessibility of pronunciation because in the end it just gets pronounced their way, to them.
>>
>>319956026
Shut. The. Fuck. Up. Onsokumaru.
>>
It'd be cooler if they kept it as Aeris and change'd Sephiroth to Sephiros
>>
Ok thread be honest, how did you pronounce Celes as a kid.
>>
>>319960669
>There is no 'th' sound in literally any language except English

>Anonymous bullshitter finds neat trick that has lexiconographers baffled! Find out how he cured lisping for the entire human race (anglophiles excepted) by clicking this bullshit post!

Also for the record: Voiced (thursday) and unvoiced (Thailand sissyboy) dental fricatives exist commonly in at least Spanish and Welsh, and apparently according to my shitty notes several North African languages with a common Egyptian origin.

Man you thucked me off anon.
>>
I always changed her name to Beth. She looks like a Beth.
>>
>>319962150
"thursday" is unvoiced though
"this" is voiced
it's the same difference between "f" and "v"
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.