[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If your friend spent MONTHS doing nothing in his free time but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
File: the-beginners-guide.jpg (39 KB, 620x355) Image search: [Google]
the-beginners-guide.jpg
39 KB, 620x355
If your friend spent MONTHS doing nothing in his free time but creating simple variations of the same "game" where the character is always trapped in a prison, wouldn't you too be worried for him?

Where does Coda get off acting like he's the victim because he has friends who worry about him?
>>
im not worrired because it's a "game" written about a fake character and features nothing but sophomoric ranting while you pace through some unity corridors
>>
The game was WAY too obviously fake
>>
>>319909460

Well, obviously, but I'm not asking why you're worried or not worried, I'm asking about the motivations of the fictional character.
>>
>>319909734

Wait, people actually thought it wasn't fiction?
>>
>>319909309
the game is meant to illustrate that making seemingly dark or unhappy art doesn't reflect the artists state of.mind. Which is a common problem artists face ( i once wrote a story where the character was a stranded astronaut and it ends with him killing himself, everyone thought i had issues)

they overdramatize it though, its usually.a small problem. coda.mainly gets pissed cause he starts spreading rumors and sharing his private games.
>>
>>319910091

And modifying them, adding lamp-posts to create the illusion of achievement and "You've reached the Goal!" where there is none.
>>
>>319910453

I didn't interpret that scene as Davey literally going in and placing lampposts, but rather as Coda feeling that he had to place them in to please Davey, who was pressuring him to give the games closure.
>>
>>319911092
>I didn't interpret that scene as Davey literally going in and placing lampposts

I'm not sure how else you're supposed to interpret "Will you please stop adding lampposts to my games?"

He literally spells it out.
>>
>>319909835
If you sell something as the real thing from the very beginning, people tend to think it's real.

>lmao do you also think found footage films are real?

Completely different thing and you know it.
>>
>>319911848
>If you sell something as the real thing from the very beginning

When was it EVER stated that it was "real"?

Do you think that because Call of Duty games start out with "Russia, 1944" you think what's going on in them is real?
>>
>>319911965
The whole psuedo-documentary thing is what got me interested in it
I wanted to take a peek at an actual person, maybe get a look at the game development process and how different people can take different approaches to it
But then shit gets way too melodramatic for me to take any of it seriously
>>
>>319912280
...I thought it was good.
If I would change anything though I would have stretched out the last scene and leave the player in silence much longer to bring attention to the loneliness that the author feels
>>
Davey and Coda are the same person.

C is the creative side, D is the dickish side more concerned with fame and money than "Art"
>>
>>319911092

Even if it was Coda adding Lamp posts to appease Davey, Davey still admits that he's the one who changed the house-cleaning game, because that one actually looped forever.

Davey was the one who added the "end"
>>
>>319912629

It was a very well polished hallway simulator.

But it was a still a hallway simulator.
>>
>>319915480

>It was a very well polished hallway simulator.

Really? Even compared to most hallway simulators it was still less polished, and even worse it gave you some small glimmer of potential gameplay, only to snatch it away and say LOL FUCK GAMEPLAY JUST KEEP LISTENING TO MY COMMENTARY
>>
Coda's troubles with Davey wouldn't exist if Coda would even mildly comment on past work, rather than leaving it entirely up to interpretation; given the content of the last few games, (in particular, The Machine (assuming that game is being presented honestly)), any reasonable person would be concerned for a friend who was working on this kind of art.
>>
gay
>>
>>319916743

He shouldn't have to nor should anyone assume things about his personality because of his work.
>>
>>319914050
This, of course this is the thing. From early on in the game it's clear that Coda doesn't exist.

It's the first game I know that is like a piece of art in the sense that it's self-conscious and it's used by the author as a way to express their feelings, like with a song or a poem.

You might hate it or think it's gay, whatever. But I don't know of any other game that is used as way to look inside the author in such a way.

Whatever we think about this, I think it's interesting.
>>
>>319917951
Coda doesn't exist. Davey is talking to himself, is exploring his own feelings. Gay or not, pretentious or not, at least we should agree that the guy instead of doing a song or a painting to express and understand how he feels he made a videogame.
>>
http://livestream.com/accounts/6845410/gamesnow/videos/83818176
Davey gave a lecture during the development of the beginners guide which really details his motivations for creating it - its a good watch if you liked the game
>>
>>319918590
That's actually extremely interesting. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>319916753

But at least it makes me feel something.
>>
1) It's all fake. Coda is fake. Davey, although the name of the developer, is also fake. This means that the entire story has no ground for any real emotional impact. You establish your interest in the character on the basis that Stanley Parable was influenced by all these games made by Coda. You want to pass around this game so it can "reach" Coda in real life, except these are all fictional characters.

2) Coda is Davey. Davey represents himself in real life. This makes no sense because then Davey's narrative that he knew nothing about how Coda coded his games would be a lie. If it's implied that Davey has split-personality disorder then why would he want Coda back?

3) Coda is real. Davey is an asshole for selling the game and showcasing games Coda distinctly told him not to show anyone.
>>
>>319920505
>This means that the entire story has no ground for any real emotional impact.
So when you watch movies or read books do you not get emotionally invested because it's fake?

I really liked the beginner's guide and even if it's all fake I enjoyed it for what it was. But I'm not autistic.
>>
>>319920062
Probably because you're gay.
>>
>>319920856
>I'm not autistic.
What are you doing here then?
>>
>>319920856
No, but it's like watching a documentary about Bill Gates and then the guy telling you "oh yeah, everything I told you about Bill Gates was false"
>>
>>319921221

But you felt those emotions.

Those were REAL emotions you felt.

Why does it make a difference if what elicits those emotions is fictional or not?
>>
>>319922180
thats assuming a lot

I felt something in the beginning but once you got to the space ship level where there was voice acting for a specific part, it became obvious that Coda was fake and the rest of the game became less impactful because of it.

Why did the "developer" release the game to get to Coda? How is it going to get to Coda? What was the point of including that end bit where Davey runs away from the mic if hes fake?
>>
>>319922180
the game's story is told in a way that makes it rely on the suspension of disbelief, but it then continuously breaks the suspension of disbelief with melodrama and questionable details like >>319922487 said
>>
not /v/idya, take it to /art/
>>
>>319923369

But there is no /art/, unfortunately.
>>
>>319923191
>the game's story is told in a way that makes it rely on the suspension of disbelief

I disagree entirely.

I went in knowing it was a work of fiction and still enjoyed it greatly.

I was quite moved by the ending bits of the Tower level especially.
>>
>>319918323
>I don't know of any other game that is used as way to look inside the author
You need to play more games.
>>
>>319923731

I'm open to suggestions
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.