[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do "true" gamers like God of War but not Yakuza
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Yakuza-Kiwami-1-1280x720.jpg (156 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Yakuza-Kiwami-1-1280x720.jpg
156 KB, 1280x720
Why do "true" gamers like God of War but not Yakuza even though it's better? Fallout/Skyrim/Mass Effect/Witcher but not Persona or Dragon Quest even though they're better? What happened to gaming? Back in the day, Japanese ruled the entire market and made it thrive with innovation and creativity. But now, when some of the biggest and most vibrant Japanese games and franchises are seeing a revival, you see constant hate thrown anywhere else but here when they're brought up in conversations of PS4 exclusives or for upcoming releases in general with phrases like "irrelevant trash" or "weebshit". "True" gamers that say this was one of the best years in gaming by having MGS5, Witcher 3, and Fallout 4 in 1 year. "True" gamers that unironically watch Angry Joe and basically have the same tastes as him minus PC games (primarily focus only on biggest most advertised triple a releases). Why is it that Star Ocean 5, Yakuza 6, Persona 5, Nier Automata, The Last Guardian, Ace Combat 7, FF 15, Shenmue 3, Dragon Quest XI, etc. are all coming soon but they're dismissed as irrelevant and all these "true" gamers bring up what they're hyped for and think matter are Uncharted 4, God of War 4, Mass Effect Andromeda, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Gears 4, Sea of Thieves, etc.?
>>
>>319887125
because, like with dragon quest, it covers only 1 or 2 platforms, making it unavailable for others to play. would love to play dq8 on my pc but nooo, only android rerelease. WHAT THE FUCK!
>>
Because people who refer to themselves as "gamers" are retards. Same people who think games are art and that Warhammer is for nerds.
>>
>>319887125
fuck off weeaboo
>>
>>319887510
but millions of people have those platforms. The ps2 is 1 of the best selling consoles, so that doesn't exlpain why dragon quest, persona, or yakuza are not popular compared to their western counterparts (aka god of war/gta and fallout/elder scrolls)
>>
>>319887642
yakuza is NOT weebtrash. It's the manliest and most raw emotion-powered experience I've had in a game next to Journey, Rez, FF6/4/7, Persona 2/3, etc. It baffles me how God of War has a meme following yet has a SIMPLER combat system than Yakuza. And the story for God of War is just Kratos is mad,he wants to kill everything. THAT'S IT. With Yakuza, there's depth and a far greater range of emotions. PLUS, you can do more in it than gta or god of war. Same with persona, ff, and dq.
>>
Western publishers have massively overinflated marketing budgets. Japanese games are spun as shitty by the bought-and-paid-for enthusiast press to maintain attention on western AAA.

The culture you hate is manufactured, OP. But you already knew all this.
>>
>>319887125
Jesus, i fucking hated that faggot Kratos
>huh duh me angry me kill anyone brutal huh duh look at me angry all the fucking times me hate you
>>
File: 1448589981484.jpg (37 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1448589981484.jpg
37 KB, 400x400
>>319887125
The Yakuza series really seems like something I would love, but half of it isn't even fucking localized.
>>
>>319889551
NOT half. You have pretty much the entire series to play minus 2 spin offs and a prequel. You just sound lazy af.
>>
>>319888392
Agreed.
Nothing ever changed. Western games never "overtook" the Japanese industry. The only difference is that they're better at controlling the message now.

It's not surprising that the one Japanese dev who drank the kool-aid turned out to be a hack and a shrewd businessman.
>>
>>319887125
>better
>better

That's like, your opinion, man.
>>
>>319890042
Actually, I believe what happened was Japanese games and franchises took a backseat for the entire 7th gen (which was the longest gen) wile they optimized/perfected their propietary engines, and in that timespan, a new generation of kids were brought up to love and worship dumbed down rpg's like mass effect, skyrim, and fallout 3. Then during that time oldfags also converted to liking western stuff meanwhile relegating japanese stuff to "the past" instead of future as well thereby explaining the hype around ff7 remake versus ff15
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.