[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Level Design
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Build.jpg (410 KB, 1024x662) Image search: [Google]
Build.jpg
410 KB, 1024x662
Why can't devs design creative and interesting levels anymore? I hate just walking through a huge ancient ruin in a game and not even being allowed to explore it. You walk into an area nobody has touched for decades and all you're going to do is make a beeline for the other side?

What modern day games feature level designs with depth and imagination, where nearly every room will have a purpose or secret? Pic related, God tier level design. Why cant we go back to the Build Engine days of vidya levels?
>>
You should specify the genre you're talking about.
>>
>>319877758
stop being so entitled! you're not entitled to compelling gameplay! besides, secret areas are an antique thing and it's not realistic anyway.

also, try indie games. yes, I said it, indies.
>>
>>319877862
Any genre. I just want a game where the devs put just as much thought into their environments as they do into every other aspect of their game.
>>
The better question is - could Duke kill Caleb?
>>
Dark Souls was the last game with good level design
>>
>>319877942
How made this a thing? I've heard it before but its absolute bullshit. Secret areas give tons more replayablility to a game, you finish a level and find out you only discovered 2/8 secret areas? Great! I get to go back and look for more content I missed throughout the level. You might not even find the other 6 on the next playthrough either.
>>
>>319878526
Secret areas take you off the path and break the narrative. You're ruining the intended atmosphere because you want to find some useless trinket.
>>
Wolfenstein: The New Order and Wolfenstein: The Old Blood both had excellent level design.
>>
>>319878307
>>319878751

These and BB were the last games I have played with good design. Dark Souls has a bunch if throwaway zones though...
>>
>>319878526
Damn, who*. I pretty tired right now so please forgive any mistakes.

>>319878695
As for this argument. Why not try to incorporate that INTO the narrative? Im not usually one for narrative games anyway. I picked up Tomb Raider like last year during a sale and it did this pretty well. The tombs arent exactly secret, theyre marked on your bloody map, but they tie into the rest of the game because Lara gives very detailed descriptions of the items you find in those tombs.

>>319878751
I've been meaning to get this for a while because I loved Return to Castle Wolfenstein, so thats good to hear, thanks.
>>
>>319878081
they would just be chill and hang out at a strip club
>>
File: 2015-07-24_00004.jpg (607 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-24_00004.jpg
607 KB, 1920x1080
>>319877758
The Talos Principle had damn good level design where nothing felt wasted and it had tons of eastereggs hidden everywhere on top of that.
>>
>>319879371
Yeah I do like Croteam for the secrets they put in their games, Srs sam is FULL of secrets but doesnt exactly have the best level design, which is understandable because they want you to utilise the openess for large waves of enemies.

That being said, they still do a better job at creating levels than a hell of a lot of other devs. Another to add to the list anyway, thanks.
>>
>>319879582
I can't help but feel that the level design for SS is actually well done for the type of game it is.
Clean maps that aren't overly cluttered with details that distract or even hinder you from fighting enemy hordes but still filled with hidden and secret stuff to not be overly dull and simple.

And hey, ever seen the alpha version?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLJDFIwK04M
Some levels were literally just a long corridor!
>>
>>319877758
Cause it takes hundreds of people hundreds of hours to make diddly squat.
>>
>>319878885
The level design for the two new Wolfenstein games are not only stellar, but jam packed with secrets to find, ranging from collectibles, letters and papers you can read to glean additional story tidbits or just amusing asides from, and even hidden Wolfenstein 3D levels re-imagined hidden in every level, along with other little easter eggs here and there.

Of the games mentioned in this topic, I'd say they are the closest to the ones you mentioned in your OP.
>>
>>319880160
Thats what I mean about Croteam. Some of their levels can be just keep moving through hordes of enemies, but they do have so moments of genius. In that video, in the Ice level, using the Sirian werebulls in a huge ice cavern; not only is it smart but its also a funny and creative way of getting the player to be more aware not only of how theyre moving but also the effect the ice has on the bulls too.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.