[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which "Breath of Fire" sucks the least? It sounds cool,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11
File: bof4.jpg (289 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
bof4.jpg
289 KB, 900x675
Which "Breath of Fire" sucks the least? It sounds cool, but so did "Legend of Dragoon" and that sucked shit.
>>
>>319874741

Just stay away from the game that killed the franchise and you are alright
>>
>>319875135
Which one would that be, 3rd or 4th?
>>
The only BoF I played was the third one and it was great.
>>
>>319875135
fifth, right? fifth games are always worst. look at Metal Gear. look at Bioshock.
>>
>>319875210
Dragon Quarter (or BoF V if you're gonna be that guy)
>>
File: Breath fo Fire - Nina and Ryu.jpg (158 KB, 600x439) Image search: [Google]
Breath fo Fire - Nina and Ryu.jpg
158 KB, 600x439
>>319874741

I, III and IV are great.

II has it's flaws, but still good.

V is different from the others, but not neraly as bad as people say. If you want to play it, a recomend playing it first, then going to the previous titles.

I personally recomend III and the best one, but many people argue for IV. These two really are great RPG's, very well done from combat system to soundtrack, everything.
>>
>>319875135
DQ is great and the franchise was dying anyway

OP, every game is pretty good, and I say that as someone who also thinks Legend of Dragoon is terrible.
>>
I just remember spending ages fishing in 3. Loved that game.
>>
>>319875602
Does it fish better than Ocarina of Time? I spent a lot of time in that but it really sucked.
>>
>>319875602

Those damn whales man.
>>
Every game is good. BOF 5 was criticized because of it's complex battle system and a gameplay which required careful planning and urgency. Can't have none of that oh no.

Btw, best characters and Ryu was BoF 3. Has the best Nina too. Stuck to you until the end not like that kek slut Nina in 4.
>>
File: bof_dragon.png (877 KB, 2557x811) Image search: [Google]
bof_dragon.png
877 KB, 2557x811
>>
>>319875687
Honestly it's been so long that I barely remember the mechanics, also I was young and stupid so it might be rose colored goggles. I just remember loving the fuck out of that minigame. What >>319875721 said though, whales are assholes.
>>
The shitty fishing made me drop 4.
>>
1 is generic as fuck.
2 is slightly interesting, but only playable with a retranslation.
3's pretty good.
4's great.
5's unique.

Basically, you should try 3-5. 2 is only if you can deal with old JRPGs. 1 sucks.
>>
>>319875860
Nin3 is literally worst Nina.
>>
Dragon Quarter had a great atmosphere, neato story, memorable music.

It's not nearly as bad as a lot of people claim it to be.
>>
How's the yurop psp version of III? I have it on my cfw psp.
>>
>>319877339
>cfw psp
is this the new 'to be honest family' thing?
>>
>>319877339

They really didn't change anything. Shame the reason it never made it to the psn because of pixel boobs
>>
>>319877598
>pixel boobs
Name?
>>
>>319877761

Deis, from the previous games
>>
>>319877339

I recommend playing the psp one it has some neat extra features like

widescreen support and optimization

a extra fishing game in the main menu

playing through that said fishing tournament unlocks concept arts from the old and new design

a bit more options regarding text speed, background design etc

>>319877534

fuck off
>>
>>319874741

the only thing that sucks is you op

you dicksucker
>>
>>319877339
The only advantage is the widescreen resolution. Otherwise it feels like capcom just sent the ps1 iso through psx2psp and called it a day. the load ins for battles are still way too long, for no real reason considering the hardware of the psp.
>>
>>319874741
3 is probably my favorite out of all of them. Got the right mix of story, gameplay and customization with the master-apprentice system. Good choice of characters and dragon forms for Ryu.
>>
There's one BoF I read about in a magazine I had where it had a thing where you could cast two spells and they'd make a new one. Is that III?
>>
>>319878682
Nope, that's BoF 4. And it isn't limited to 2 spells, you can string up more together for some heavy damage. It's tricky to pull of though, because they have to go in order, and enemies can break the chain if they get a turn inbetween your chain.
>>
5 has the best combat system in the franchise. Ignore the haters.
>>
File: Ryu&NinaCompleteWorks.png (2 MB, 1315x912) Image search: [Google]
Ryu&NinaCompleteWorks.png
2 MB, 1315x912
Best Ryus and Ninas go

Ryus:
3>5>4>2>1

Ninas:
2>3>5>4>1
>>
>>319878956
The game is so bad, that it isn't even called 5 officialy.
>>
>>319879065
I like that tiny green haired one stomping the thing to death.
>>
File: Ryu 6.png (688 KB, 662x900) Image search: [Google]
Ryu 6.png
688 KB, 662x900
>>319879065
Oh and I forgot. Ryu 6 is probably equal to 4's

Nina 6 can suck a dick though
>>
File: Nina 6.png (648 KB, 629x713) Image search: [Google]
Nina 6.png
648 KB, 629x713
>>319879065
>>319879140
WHERE
ARE
NINA'S
WINGS

seriously though fuck this mopey nina
>>
3 is the best. Rei and Teepo are mah niggas.
>>
>>319879408
3 is my favorite as well, but Teepo is a giant retard. Honestly, his story would've been a lot better if he just didn't suddenly reappear right at the ending.
Sure, Kid Teepo is cool, but after that, what an idiot.
>>
Fifth one is the only one remotely challenging. It rewards exploration but sadly punishes one gravely.
>>
>>319879140
>>319879226

The artstyle of 6 is pretty good, tho.
>>
>>319879509

Well, you know... after thinking his two best friends and family were dead because of these ass of Balio and Sunder, he wandered until a Goddess brainwashed him with some "you're a mighty dragon that can stomp anyone you want, use that to undo wrong things people did to you".

It's kinda normal to become an ass after these experiences.
>>
>>319879140

Damn Ryu, you've come a long way boy.
>>
>>319874741
BoF3 has by far the best sprite work of the series. God damned gorgeous game. Best dragon system. Best cast. Second best story. You will not go wrong choosing 3 first.
>>
>>319876693
>1 is generic as fuck.
I dunno about that. The main premise kinda is, sure. But when you look at the scenarios, not so much.

Like, first you clear out castle of monsters, which is pretty generic, but if you come back way the fuck later everyone's partying in your honour, complete with having erected a statue of you. But after that you're solid snaking your way into a city at night (game had a day/night system) because you need to stop the source of some earthquakes by going deep underground. Then you have shit like the wizard who instead of coming up with crazy magic or summoning monsters to try and take over the land, he went maximum biological warfare with basically a mustard gas analogue instead. Or the Sky Tower where every floor had its own climate system. Or going into Mogu's dream and piecing the facets of his personality back together.

Plus it had neat gameplay stuff like how every playable character (minus Deis) had an action (in some cases more than one) out of battle only they could do. Or Ryu and Karn's transformations. It was also one of the few RPGs at the time where your end party had a bunch of beast races in it. Wolfman, Oxman, Fishman, Moleman, and Snektits. Though that's just kind of a staple with BoF to get beast races.
>>
Why are 1 and 2 considered bad? I was hoping to start a new series.
>>
>>319880337
2 isn't considered bad at all actually, it's just a couple of guys in this thread.
2, 3 and 4 are all great jrpg. Ignore 5 alltogether.
1 is very archaic and doesn't really have much to offer, gameplay or storywise.
>>
>>319880337
They're not. Play them.
GBA version of 1 (unless you're okay with a slow walk speed, then go SNES since better sound/colour), but SNES version of 2 with the retranslation patch.
>>
>>319880478

2 is infamous for ridiculous encounter rates and one really shitty area
>>
>>319880627
Yeah, and 3 is infamous for a translation fuckup in the desert that potentially can get you stuck forever unless you use a guide.
4 is infamous for a horrible ending.
5 is infamous for horrible everything, only hipsters defend that piece of shit.

What is your point again?
>>
>>319880760
>Yeah, and 3 is infamous for a translation fuckup in the desert that potentially
Link please. I'll bookmark it and keep it for later
>>
Man I must have replayed bof 4 like 5 times already, still one of my favourite rpgs from the ps1 era.
>>
>>319880864
Link to what exactly? A guide? just use gamefaqs or something.
The translation error is only in the PAL version iirc.
>>
>>319880760

He asked a question, I gave a possible answer you passive aggressive faggot
>>
>>319881080
Nothing I said was passive aggressive you imbecile. I just pointed out that all the games in the series have flaws.
>>
>>319880305
I think it's more case of BoF not coming into its own until the second game.
>>
Breath of Fire is the Lufia of video games.
>>
>>319881301
Not really, they're completely different design wise. Lufia has heavy emphasis on puzzles in dungeons, the puzzles in BoF can barely be considered obstacles.
Wild Arms is much closer to Lufia than BoF is to either of them.
>>
>>319880864

Also, you'll be missing out some stuff if you don't use a guide for BoF 3. There are tons of things hidden throughout the game, specially dragon genes (the gemstones you use to combo transformations).
>>
>>319879140
why the fuck is he so god damn good looking
capcom stop trying to make me gay
>>
File: GilliamBoF6.png (477 KB, 600x710) Image search: [Google]
GilliamBoF6.png
477 KB, 600x710
>>319882575
This will either progress the gay or cure it
>>
>>319875860
Nina was always the worst girl.
>>
>>319882738
wait ryu turns into a fucking furry?
>>
>>319874741
I like IV, the others seem too generic for my tastes, except DQ, which sounds interesting, but the whole "JRPG with a time limit" gimmick introduced with the dragon counter really puts me off
>>
File: bof6.png (822 KB, 957x559) Image search: [Google]
bof6.png
822 KB, 957x559
>>319883023
No, that Gilliam, another BoF6 character.

you do remember that BoF is full of furries right
>>
>>319883117
oh i knew, i was just worried they were doing something stupid with bof6 besides it being a mobile game.
and as for the progression of gay or curing
nah man, i ain't no furfucker.
>>
File: Exploitable Gilliam.png (180 KB, 606x377) Image search: [Google]
Exploitable Gilliam.png
180 KB, 606x377
>>319883117
>>
>>319875891
Honestly it was BoF 3 that kind of killed the series, it was so good, but the warrior form was OP so everyone used it... which made devs think that people preferred to play as gargoyle/half-man looking things instead of really awesome dragons.

Also 3 was the last game in the series to have the dragon god and to take place in the same world. So in a way it IS the last game in the series.

4 was nice, but damn if they had just had the time to finish it...
>>
>>319876693
>>319880305
Can you really say 1 is generic when it came out when that formula was stilling being created? IMO it isn't that its generic its just that so many games after it followed that path. In hind sight it comes off as generic but it was really innovative for the time.

Also I loved that dungeon where the damage was swapped for weapons, so the sword you start off at the beginning of the game is now the most powerful weapon, and the new thing you have currently equipped deals like 1 damage.
>>
>>319884191
>Also I loved that dungeon where the damage was swapped for weapons, so the sword you start off at the beginning of the game is now the most powerful weapon, and the new thing you have currently equipped deals like 1 damage.

That's not a dungeon in BoF1, what are you talking about?
>>
>>319877761
Deis the snake lady from 1 is a recurring character. In the 2nd game you can find her and talk to her multiple times. In the 3rd game she helps you after you free her. She is cursed as a statue or something and when you free her she is butt naked as a human lady. When you meet her again she is half snake and mentions that she transformed herself to something more comfortable and more powerful, and that her people get stronger the more they change.

You discover later that her sister is a monster that has changed so much she has godlike powers.
>>
>>319882854
>doesn't join your party
And then she joins your party in IV but in a metal bucket the entire time, even after you learn about her.
>>
>>319874741
bof kicks ass. play them all.
>>
>>319884191
BoF1 looks and plays like a NES game, while being on the SNES. Not surprising, considering it was Capcoms first forray into rpg.
>>
>>319884351
Was it in BoF2 maybe? I could have sworn it was 1. There was a dungeon where your weapons got swapped somehow so that the stronger weapons were weaker or something like that. I think it was in some kind of dreamworld with multiple floors.
>>
>>319886553
That's Final Fantasy 9, mate.
>>
>>319886553
The dreamworld dungeon had multiple floors, yeah, but it doesn't have that gimmick. The gimmick in that dungeon was that both bosses could only be properly damaged by mundane weaponry. The first boss had a high chance of dodging everything that wasn't non-magical (you also couldn't use your weapons if they had an element) while the second took extremely reduced damage due to a barrier that only non-magical means were unaffected by (but you could chip away at the barrier and then wail on the boss once you could see it properly, as the level of damage reduction scaled with it).

The gimmick you're thinking of is in FFIX.
>>
>>319874741
Breath of Fire 2 was the best.
>>
>>319886898
Ahh, I swapped the things in my mind, but I DID remember that there was a dreamworld dungeon that did weird things to your weapons.
>>
>>319879065
>all those Ryus

Ryu (male)
>>
File: BoF5-Lin-Thinks-You-are.jpg (44 KB, 230x192) Image search: [Google]
BoF5-Lin-Thinks-You-are.jpg
44 KB, 230x192
>>319875135
>>319875276
>>319875305
>>319880760
>>319883025
>>
>>319881051
I'm. gonna play the yurop psp version since it never came here.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.