[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some Art Games /v/? Like Literally Art Games, ones
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 13
File: art vi.jpg (48 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
art vi.jpg
48 KB, 640x360
What are some Art Games /v/?

Like Literally Art Games, ones that might end up in a museum?

I played passage at the Museum of the Moving Image last year and thinking it was interesting.

http://hcsoftware.sourceforge.net/passage/
>>
File: Panic_museum.jpg (212 KB, 630x290) Image search: [Google]
Panic_museum.jpg
212 KB, 630x290
This is a great museum game. You have to collect all 7 treasures by fighting your way through each exhibit of the haunted museum. Mummies, fairy tale creatures, ninja, toy soldiers, fish, all sorts of junk. When you finally escape you find out that aliens were behind it the whole time. You need to kill all the aliens and defeat the mothership in order to save the earth once and for all.
>>
I got strong hope that Voodoo Vince might end up in some museum, art style is fantastic
>>
Dwarf Fortress and EVE Online were in the MOMA
>>
Every game is art. For example, you have museums with Pac Man, Pong, Mario and ect in them.
>>
Video games as art is the worst thing to happen to video games. Even worse than mobile.

Not that there can't be good artful games, but It just opens the floodgates on all these pretentious San Fran assholes pushing their stupid political agendas and retarded opinions.
>>
>>319857742
No, fuck off. Morons who care about video games being art are part of the reason we get 2deep4u "games" with no gameplay.
>>
Passage is good. I also liked Gravity (by the same guy) and Pressure, just off the top of my head.
>>
>>319857742
Antichamber
>>
>>319860192
Antichamber was fun as fuck, and the art made it trippy, but it lacks the emotional output that I think art needs to have.
>>
>>319859314
Didnt they also have Zork, Katamari, Grim Fandango and Chrono Trigger listed?

I remember reading about how they categorize them as architecture and design, saying the behavior of the game and the space it creates are just as important as the aesthetic and message when judging them. Which is a more mature approach then what game journalists do.
>>
life is strange.
also art is shit. it doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>319860408
Art means something. Its just usually not really relevent or practical.
>>
>>319857742

why do these faggots always have such a punchable face
>>
I think a basic requirement for a game to be art is for the mechanics to drive home one or more core themes of the narrative in a way other mediums can't do

So Shadow of the Colossus would be one
>>
Art in video games is just another way to say their game is shit so they have to push it as "art" to get some suckers to believe them.

It's basically why sjw push shitty games like Gone Home and Sunset as "art". They know the game is boring and shit, but they need to find some way to promote it since it aligns with their agenda/narrative.
>>
Everything someone makes is art.

The $0.50 burrito I bought from a food cart on the side of the road is art.

The roll of toilet paper I placed next to the toilet is art.

The big, fat burrito shit that squirmed out of my asshole is art.

Video games are art too.
>>
>>319860129
Oh I meant Air Pressure

http://jayisgames.com/review/air-pressure.php
>>
File: 1375324030501.jpg (10 KB, 250x326) Image search: [Google]
1375324030501.jpg
10 KB, 250x326
I only care about video games legally considered art and protected by the first amendment, couldn't give a fuck about pretentious hipsters jacking off to pseudo-intellectual dogshit
>>
>>319860732
My cum is a work of art. My penis is an artist.
>>
Tetris, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, MGS, Snatcher, Deadly Premonition, Silent Hill 2, Dark Souls, off the top of my head.
>>
Video games can't be art in the same way an art piece in a museum is art. They're more like books than anything else, the best ones take some time and emotional investment and can't just be viewed in passing like something in a gallery.
>>
File: file.png (225 KB, 685x390) Image search: [Google]
file.png
225 KB, 685x390
but seriously
the void
i could see people arguing for tetris too
>>
Depression quest
>>
>>319860732
>adopting the shitty modernist "express urself" definition of art

Art can mean something if you give it some fucking dignity.
>>
>>319860354
Holy shit, they just judged a game by its gameplay? That's something new.
>>
anything nowadays is art, why shouldnt videogames be considered art as well?
im sure some of them are better than the litter or cum-sprayed canvas shown in museums.
>>
>>319860987
Most art is like that. Film, theater, literature - even music is best experienced live rather than through a recording. Literally the only art that's best experienced in a gallery is visual art such as painting or sculpture.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_in_the_Museum_of_Modern_Art

>Another World
>Asteroids
>Canabalt
>Dwarf Fortress
>Eve Online
>Flow
>Katamari Damacy
>Minecraft
>Myst
>Pac-Man
>Passage
>Pong
>Portal
>SimCity 2000
>The Sims
>Space Invaders
>Tempest
>Tetris
>Vib-Ribbon
>Yars' Revenge

And also their wishlist

Spacewar (1962)
Snake (1976)
Zork (1980)
Donkey Kong (1981)
M.U.L.E. (1983)
Core War (1984)
Marble Madness (1984)
Super Mario Bros. (1985)
The Legend of Zelda (1986)
NetHack (1987)
Street Fighter II (1991)
Chrono Trigger (1995)
Super Mario 64 (1996)
Grim Fandango (1998)
Animal Crossing (2001)
>>
>>319861472
Art has no dignity and it doesn't deserve to mean anything.
>>
I hope video games are never seen as art. Just imagine if that modern art trash came to video games.
>>
>>319861901
you have a good point there.
>>
Every single thing in the universe is art.
>>
>>319861901
It already has come. Just nobody cares about it, just the same as performance art.

The shame is that videogames are having their time in some dire shit for personal expression. Born in the 80s, relegated not only to business but kid/ manchildren business... At least there are games like Thief or Tetris or Mario World, but there's nothing like the kind of expansion cinema had, not to talk about other artforms. It's a medium that has been going on for nearly two decades with the rethorics of "are we art?" instead of actually creating valuable things.
>>
>>319857742
All games are art, but "art" games are all shit.
>>
To The Moon was one if they most beautiful games I've played, not really art wise, but the story was fucking beautiful. like a blues song from the byous, really gave me the chills, made me gasp and tear up. I'm a writer though, so I'm prone to that type of art.
>>
Any form of creative expression can be considered art. It comes down to perception, I think.

A game is a mixture of creative expression AND logical, necessary machinations, so I don't think a video game can be called art - but I do think many parts of one can be called art.
>>
>>319862892
>A game is a mixture of creative expression AND logical, necessary machinations, so I don't think a video game can be called art
That definition describes Design, which is a good word for games.
>>
>>319861754
museums of modern art have performance artworks like where a woman menstruate on a mirror
>>
>>319861754
Nice
>>
Super Mario Bros should be in the museum at least for being the first video game.
>>
>>319861754
An interesting note regarding the moma's collection is that they don't just get a cartridge of the game. Since museums are partially about preservation they look to acquire the hard code of the game so it's never lost.

There's likely pieces they'd like to acquire but realize are lost to time or the companies are shits who would never give it to them.
>>
>>319857742
Deadly Premonition
>>
>>319862892
>AND logical, necessary machinations
art can contain these, I'm not sure why you think it can't
>>
I think Killer is Dead, Hotline Miami, and Okami are good art games.
Not sure if KiD would end up in a museum, but the other two might.
>>
>>319865030
Museums tend to be against depicting violence unless it's portrayed in a negative or tasteful way so they don't get themselves into any shit for promoting it, so I doubt Hotline Miami or Killer is Dead would end up in anything.
>>
>>319865476
Fair enough, but I was thinking far-future, when these things would actually feel like they belong in a museum.
Hotline Miami in particular would be a good choice, to show a small trend in popular culture of neo-80's media.
>>
>>319857742
People who say that videogames aren't art just have no idea how much terrible art there is in the world.
>>
Art and entertainment mean the exact same thing, it is just the former has a stronger marketing brand in niche areas, such as millionaires who want to waste money to make themselves look good.
>>
>>319857742
>Like Literally Art Games, ones that might end up in a museum?
Not all art belongs in a museum.

Books aren't put in a museum, they're supposed to be read.

And games are meant to be played.
>>
File: Void_36.jpg (142 KB, 483x800) Image search: [Google]
Void_36.jpg
142 KB, 483x800
The Void.
>>
>>319857742
Journey
The Unfinished Swan
Flower
Entwined
Puppeteer
Ico
Shadow of the Coleuses
The Last Guardian
>>
File: dong.png (1 MB, 812x990) Image search: [Google]
dong.png
1 MB, 812x990
>>319857742
Katamari Damacy is fun as hell and is already in a museum

http://www.moma.org/collection/works/164919
>>
>>319860030
The funny thing is /v/ will insist that games are not art, just to spite SJWs

But then a game gets censored and they all flip their shit. Well if it's not art, it's just a product, and as such should be treated as a product, which only exists to generate sales, and if censorship will lead to more sales, it should be censored.

After all, we can't claim games are art, right? because then strawmen you don't like will "win" and you'll "lose" right?

Continue pushing the ideal that games are not art all you want, but don't come crying when that results in games being nothing other than a means to earn cash. You can't have it both ways you contrarian fucks.
>>
>>319866306
>games being nothing other than a means to earn cash.
that's all they are though, even with the classification of art
they're just like movies
>>
>>319866072
Places that display games usually have them playable with a screen in the wall, not just the box behind a glass case.
I do agree with your point though.
>>
Zeno Clash 1 & 2
Talos Principle
Kairo
Grezzo 2
>>
>>319866306

>Well if it's not art, it's just a product, and as such should be treated as a product, which only exists to generate sales, and if censorship will lead to more sales, it should be censored.

This point does not follow. Censorship doesn't become acceptable just because something isn't art. 99% of everything anyone will ever say is not got to have any merit, artistic or otherwise. It's still wrong to censor them. Censorship is wrong because of the effect it has not the works it affects.
>>
>>319866631
Companies can and will change their products in whatever way they feel will generate more sales. If that includes censoring content, they'll do it without hesitation. Simple as that. They don't care if a handful of autistic faggots in a forum somewhere are mad about it.
>>
>>319866306
Most art under the traditional definition is still made with the intention of getting paid for it.
>>
>>319866306
This to be PERFECTLY honest, family.
>>
File: 1365318875280.jpg (344 KB, 898x855) Image search: [Google]
1365318875280.jpg
344 KB, 898x855
>>319857742
>hairy feminist menstruates over a white pane
>ITS ART
>hundreds of artists, designers, and programmers labour over a program for years
>ITS NOT ART
>>
>>319866751

That doesn't make censorship right nor opposing censorship wrong. It's a perfectly acceptable to believe that games are not art and that censoring them is wrong. You implied there was some kind of contradiction in that belief.
>>
Who cares if its art I just want to play a fucking fun video game for once.
>>
>>319866923
might I recommend rocket league
I didn't buy into the hype at first, but the simplicity of it makes it addictive and the match times are short, so you don't have to make any big time commitments to play
>>
>>319866914
>It's a perfectly acceptable to believe that games are not art and that censoring them is wrong.

Hi Mario.
>>
>>319866147
too bad they removed the void from steam, good thing they gave everyone that owned the void a gift copy of the game
>>
>>319857742
To be fair, most of the stuff in art-museum and art-galleries doesn't fucking belong to them. But that is my opinion. And that''s exactly what art is. Opinion.
What is art to someone might not be for me and vice verca. Art is paradox, not fact or rule of nature.
>>
>>319867863
oh shit they did remove it is there a reason? also i didnt get a copy to gift
>>
>>319868040
>Art is paradox, not fact or rule of nature.
You're going to trigger a lot of autistic people speaking like that.
>>
File: u.png (2 MB, 2114x1080) Image search: [Google]
u.png
2 MB, 2114x1080
>>319868076
it's not available in the store and i suddenly had a gift copy in my inventory so i just assumed everyone got one
>>
File: ryukomatoi.jpg (10 KB, 272x185) Image search: [Google]
ryukomatoi.jpg
10 KB, 272x185
>ctrl+f nier
>0 results

the fuck /v/
>>
>>319857742
Nothing is art. Niggers are suing museums for paintings depicting Jesus as white little baby.

Art died in the name of Social Justice.
>>
>>319868239
nope i don't have anything
it's still being sold on gog aswell, how strange.
>>
>>319860354
What exactly are you saying game journalists do when they consider things art? I don't even see game journalists do much but raise a question on whether things are art?
>>
>>319861901
Every generation always claims whatever that whatever is modern/new is trash. That's not a very convincing statement.
>>
>>319868339
Spotted the /pol/ poster
>>
>>319866306
Personally, I believe any creative endeavor can be classified as art. That really doesn't mean jack shit though, and the very definition of art itself is highly subjective. As long as a game is fun, I could give two shits about whether or not other people consider it artistic.
>>
>>319862572
This.
>>
File: art.gif (304 KB, 800x463) Image search: [Google]
art.gif
304 KB, 800x463
Some patterns in Bullethells seem like they could be art.
>>
>>319870339
is that touhou?
>>
Musicians are considered artists.
Book writers are considered artists.
Artists are considered artists.

Yet when all these professionals get together to make a product, suddenly the end result isn't art. Funny how that works.
>>
>>319862290
Who is the artist?
>>
I think it's fundamentally flawed to consider a commercial work unacceptable with regards to art. The greatest works of art in history are almost universally commercial pieces done by commission.
>>
>>319866306
Shakespear made his works for profit.
Let that sink in.
>>
File: Touhou_9_5___Shoot_the_Bullet.jpg (767 KB, 1182x1374) Image search: [Google]
Touhou_9_5___Shoot_the_Bullet.jpg
767 KB, 1182x1374
>>319870556
The one on the left is from
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tz_fViahnA&t=34m5s
I think the one on the right is from one of the Dodonpachi games, no idea what the one in the middle is from.
Touhou also works as art.
>>
>>319866306
Funny that you mention strawmen.

>The funny thing is /v/ will insist that games are not art, just to spite SJWs
No, "/v/" won't.
The opinion most often expressed on the issue here is "it doesn't fucking matter."

Also, censorship does not apply solely to art. The suppression of any idea is censorship.
Of course people whose living is dependent on the development and sale of video games are free to compromise and censor themselves. It's their product. The issue is that SJWs demand compromise and coerce censorship from others. The issue is that they want THEIR values forced on others.

>but don't come crying when that results in games being nothing other than a means to earn cash
They already are, you retard. It's an industry. Passion projects seldom get exposure--"passion project" is pretty much a marketing term at this point.
And it's not a fucking bad thing. There are games of all sorts produced because everybody needs to capture a niche if they want to be successful. The industry is never going to become a sterile mass of COD-clones because few people have the means of competing for CODs market.
>>
>>319870880
we are, we are the artists of the world
>>
>>319857742
Something doesn't have to end up in a museum to be considered art.

And if you are talking about art in terms of what should be protected under freedom of expression, then yes, I believe all video games are art. In that way, games are actually comparable to films in that you have a team of people working together on a single piece. Some of these people are purely technical in nature but there is still a great deal of personal expression that goes into lines of code or managing a team of marketers whether you realize it or not. And at the end of the day, they are all trying to create a piece of fiction that every player can experience in their own way.

Literal art games though, like ones obviously trying to be in museums? Shit, I don't know. I think games like that actually miss the point when they are more concerned with trying to legitimize games as art rather than trying to exemplify what makes games their unique form of art in the first place...
>>
>>319860553
it's the retarded expresison they have to make next to the all caps titles in order to get the kids audience
>>
>>319857742
Games themselves are an artform, but shouldn't be treated as such because it lowers the quality of games
Just look at some games that try to be art. They are either horribly generic shit that tries way too hard to make social commentary (usually RPG maker looking games) or they are literal walking simulators

The closest you'll get to a game that has art of other industries is probably something like a JRPG or something like MGS
>>
File: 1449694977926.gif (3 MB, 164x267) Image search: [Google]
1449694977926.gif
3 MB, 164x267
Any creative effort results in art, regardless if it's shitty, good, fun, nice to look at, pretentious, or whatever. Art as a classification is nothing special or important really.
>>
depends. Most games are commercially aimed and use science and established art (the science thereof) to create video games. So they use art, thats for sure. Look at the music, cinematography, concept art, story writing, etc,. of games. However the end product is a commercial product with an artistic basis. In the end it's just that, a product to sell. No artistic expression in the end. Therefore it isn't really art despite being dependent on artistry.
>>
>>319871679
>The issue is that they want THEIR values forced on others.

But you want yours forced on them just as much. There is no such thing as a neutral ground, no matter what you do it is charged by your cultural politics, implicit cultural politics are involved in literally everything. The idea of "neutrality" is a myth, what it really means is "this is my norm"
>>
>>319860354
>Didnt they also have Zork, Katamari, Grim Fandango and Chrono Trigger listed?
Yes, that's the exhibition.

I also heard somewhere that some museum or other educational facility had Dwarf Fortress on display for a while, praising its world generation features and how realistic they are.
>>
>>319857742

Yes but the problem is when people say that they compare Video Games to a Visual Painting.

What people should be comparing video games is to food.
>>
>>319871002
Almost every great artist did. Every great piece of art that came from the Renaissance was done through commissions, plus they mentored, lectured, and participated in academic and technical pursuits.

Kubrick felt that a film needed to be watched so he straddled the line between art and commercial because a film that people don't watch is a failure as a film.
>>
>>319875781
They were also all rich and didn't need to actually do anything if they didn't want to.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 386x284) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 386x284
Itt: po-mos and other faggots
>>
MGS2, obviously.
>>
>>319865658
>Hotline Miami in particular would be a good choice, to show a small trend in popular culture of neo-80's media.
Not really art if it's just a rip off of a trend it didn't set.

MGS2 is the only game that should be considered art.
>>
>>319875454
Non sequitur. I'm not saying that games or developers should be politically neutral, or that I am myself.
And no, I don't want to impose my views on others. Of course, I'd like to persuade them, but there's a mighty difference between that and compelling them to act in accordance with my views.
>>
>>319868076
>>319867863
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/icepicklodge#announcements/detail/89307907203453161
>>
Nobody on /v/ knows anything about art so why ask here?
>>
>>319871679
>unironically bitching about liberals wanting games to feature ideas and concepts they like in the same post you say "The suppression of any idea is censorship." in

wew lad
>>
>>319879484
good to know
>>
>>319857742
No, video games are medium, art is what you do through the medium.
>>
>>319857742
Who gives a shit. Why do people need to prove themselves through their hobbies? I just do not understand why this is important for some people.
>>
>>319880679
That's not what I did at all.
See:
>>319879248
Also see:
Your English teacher for remedial reading comprehension courses.
>>
>>319881359
They're failures with nothing to be proud of.
SJWs and anti-SJWs are all exactly the same kind of shitstain who offers absolutely nothing to the world, so they just get mad and bitch about shit while actually contributing NOTHING beyond their worthless opinions.
If they feel they can influence how videogames get made, they can tell themselves they're "done something" when really all of these people should be learning how to make their own fucking games. But they're hopeless wasters. It doesn't take any skill or talent to complain though.
>>
>Are paintings art?
>Is music art?

They are mediums. A game can be art Games are not.
>>
>>319882594
This desu senpai
>>
>>319860030

the problem is that most people trying to parade that games are art only care about the story and ignore everything else except maybe, if they're throwing you a bone, how pretty the art style is.

The average person that tries to talk about games might mention Ico or Journey just to sound smarter, and those are good games to be sure, but they'd never give something like Katamari Damacy or LSD the time of day.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.