[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it a bad idea to buy a new 3ds if all I'm interested
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 1000x1000
Is it a bad idea to buy a new 3ds if all I'm interested in is Pokemon and smash? What else is there?
>>
File: Kid-Icarus-JP-Box-Art.jpg (211 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Kid-Icarus-JP-Box-Art.jpg
211 KB, 1000x1000
>>
File: bravely-default.jpg (850 KB, 1500x789) Image search: [Google]
bravely-default.jpg
850 KB, 1500x789
Comes with a wonderful soundtrack too.
>>
If you have an old 3DS, don't waste your money. If you don't, get the New 3DS if there's a negligible price difference. It has no exclusive titles worth mentioning, but the 3D effect doesn't break as badly if you tilt the screen.

>What else is there?
There are a dozen or so really good 3DS titles. Kid Icarus, 3D Land, Virtue's Last Reward, and all the Ace Attorney games are all good. If you have a modern PC, you may want to wait for emulation instead. Citra is coming along nicely.
>>
>>319850467
>Turned based RPG goodness

Action RPG a shit

Also

Shinmegami Tensei 4
>>
File: wpid-wp-1425536584591.jpg (1 MB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
wpid-wp-1425536584591.jpg
1 MB, 1200x900
I didn't even know other games on the system existed.
>>
Xenoblade 3DS
Rune Factory 4
Monster Hunter
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
Etrian Mystery Dungeon
Etrian Odyssey
Shovel Knight
Fire Emblem Awakening
Puzzle Dragon
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3DS
Soul Hackers
Stella Glow
Lord of Magna
Miku shit
SMT games
Hyrule Warriors Legend

just get a vita m8
>>
>>319850718
This
>>
>>319849992
Can I get a second opinion on Smash?

I love it but dont want to get a wiiu just for it, how good is the 3ds one for multiplayer?

At least with that theres a few other games that look p good to justify it
>>
>>319850830
Multiplayer is better on it online wise imo. Local is just fine but unlike the console version, all your friends need to have their own 3DS and copy of Smash to play with you. I bought it the day it came out and immediately stopped playing it once the console version came out. I personally just don't like playing fighting games on a handheld.
>>
>>319850830
Alright, here's a story. I have the original 3DS. I put off getting SSB because I hoped my roommate would get a Wii U, but he ended up moving back with his folks instead.

I visited my folks and, what do ya know, they have a Wii U and Smash 4. I gotta say, I really love the gamepad. It's range is a bit short, but it made it to the room I was staying in so I could do some practice rounds before bed.

Now, Melee and Project M are another story, but I definitely think Smash 4 is way better than Brawl. I got a Wii for that game and if it wasn't for PM I'd wish I bought a Wii U and pre-ordered 4 instead of Brawl.

I had so much fun that I decided fuck it, I'll get the 3DS version. I've enjoyed it enough that I've been saving up for the DLC. I have Ryu, Mewtwo, and the stages, and will be able to get Roy and Lucas soon.

So, the game is tiny and it's hard to see what you're looking at, but it's not as bad in 1v1 no item matches. Framerate is silky smooth, and it really does look A LOT better in action than it does in blown up screenshots, just like every other 3DS game. It's kind of surreal seeing Wario, ROB, Ike, a bunch of Brawl mainstays on the small screen in 60 fps with respectable character models. It feels like I'm playing a tiny Brawl, except with much better gameplay and a nicer, more colorful artstyle. No more gliding, swimming, and tripping, revamped characters, but presentation-wise you almost forget you're playing on a handheld.

In some respects, the 3DS version is actually better! The Wii U version can be a bit of a clusterfuck, while the 3DS has the traditional four characters maximum. I really wish Delphino and Smashville was here, but Magicant, Corneria, Paper Mario, and 3D Land are really nice.

It's very playable on the original 3DS, but I'd appreciate the bigger screen, and the c-stick would add that competitive advantage.

As far as multiplayer goes, there's more action than I expected. I guess there are several people without Wii U.
>>
You might as well wait for emulation if you only care about Pokemon and Smash out of the giant library of games the 3DS have.
>>
>>319853157
con't

The 3DS version is surprisingly not much of a compromise at all. The worst part about it is the controls, but a New 3DS XL and a grip would solve much of that.

While many of the exclusive stages are really great, it feels a bit lacking in stages. But even worse than that is that it's very lacking in music.

But on the bright side, every stage has a flat omega version. Unlike in previous SSB games, if there's a stage with a theme and music you love, but you loathe the actual stage itself, you can still enjoy the theme and the songs that come with it, without any of the gimmicks. And if you play purely competitively, it keeps you from being locked to a tiny handheld of the stages the game has to offer, and you can enjoy stages from all of the represented series.

If you pick it up, be warned that you're looking at up to a little under $30 in substantial DLC at the moment. Cloud should be coming soon, and he and his stage will likely be $6 on top of that. It can be an expensive game, but whether it's worth the full ~$80 price tag or just $40 or so is up to you. Here's the page for dlc:

http://www.smashbros.com/us/dlc/

Mario Maker is a really awesome stage. The N64 stages speak for themselves. I had to get all of them, but what is Smash Bros without Dream Land 64? Characters and stages you buy will show up in Classic and All-Star and random matches once you have them, so it adds a little variety there as well.

Ryu can be tough, but if you like your quarter-circles and shoryukens, it's really neat. You can do well without that, and sometimes it can be hard to execute a "True" special in the hectic environment of SSB. It's often easier to up-b for a shoryuken or side-b to recover with tatsumaki, but when you're more confident, you can always execute the commands manually for more powerful versions. I can't really speak for how good the characters are in competitive play now or in the future, so I'll leave that to you.
>>
>>319849992
It's why I got mine. I just got Xenoblade for it and its pretty fun (N3DS). I did a trade in for a N3DS because my old shoulder buttons broke, for good, after doing some diy care for it.
>>
File: 1432267905803.jpg (596 KB, 1400x1887) Image search: [Google]
1432267905803.jpg
596 KB, 1400x1887
>>319854103
>>319853157
>>319851349
thx lads i appreciate it
>>
>>319850830
I play the 3ds version everyday, it's very enjoyable and there isn't much of a difference between 3ds and wiiu version besides graphics and game modes. Totally worth it
>>
Get a N3DS if you want to use the 3D effect
Get a 2DS if you don't want to use the 3D effect
There's literally no reason to get an O3DS unless you can get it cheaper than a 2DS
>>
>Buy 3ds
>TN panel
Fuck me.
>>
>>319850718
MH4U is the game to get, play it casually or deep dive into the grind, up to you.
Only downside to it is the controls.
>>
>>319854801
One thing I forgot to mention is that I don't know about how DLC stages work in multiplayer. I only got them the other day, and I've only had the game itself for about two weeks.

I know you can face off against Roy players without owning him, of course. I've done that plenty. But I haven't had the stages long enough to know if the N64 stages or Mario Maker will show up. I've never happened to play them online, but I've only done about two hours of online play. I never ended up playing on a stage I didn't have unlocked or purchased, but then, there were plenty of starter stages that I haven't played online yet either.

I'm really not feeling Smash Run. It's better than Smash Tour, and I loved City Trial in Kirby Air Ride, but this just feels so unfulfilling.

Target Test and Board the Platforms are not here, and with large rosters like we have now, I don't expect they'll ever come back. At least, not in a form like Brawl, which wasn't much better than not having them at all.

The Multi-Man and Home Run Contest modes are just like they ever were. If you liked them before, you'll still enjoy them. Target Blast has grown on me a little, but I definitely won't miss it if it leaves. It does feel redundant like you'd expect, but it's not so bad, really. It's a dumb little mode that changes up Home Run Contest enough to require different tactics.

If you're solely in it for multiplayer, and I wouldn't blame you, then it doesn't really matter. The single player offerings aren't as robust as Adventure and breaking your times in the individualized target/platform challenges, but there's still plenty of addictive trophy collecting and "great for relaxing short bursts" score breaking to be had. Trophy Rush is also kind of dumb, sadly. But far from unbearable. I played enough coin shooter in SSBB that I wouldn't want to play it again, and it's not like the trophy catcher in SSBM, but it's pretty easy trophy collecting.

Unlocking characters and stages is very quick.
>>
>>319855867
>If you're solely in it for multiplayer, and I wouldn't blame you, then it doesn't really matter.

you mean getting it on 3ds doesnt matter? because its pretty good?

clarify famu
>>
>>319856316
I think he means you shouldn't care about missing game modes when most people are in it for the muultiplayer
>>
>>319856316
I meant "the single player content doesn't really matter" if you literally only care about multiplayer. Unlocking all of the characters and stages can be done in a day. 120 matches will unlock every character if you ignore single player. None of that 700 matches or 20 hours stuff. Flat Zone 2 can be tricky though. I believe you need the first challenge panel of 35 challenges completed even after you've unlocked Mr. Game & Watch.

As far as multiplayer goes, like I said earlier it's surprisingly active. I shouldn't be surprised, what with how popular SSB is and how unpopular the Wii U is, but you shouldn't worry about the multiplayer experience much. I was worried about that myself when I got the game. I knew I was going to be playing entirely online when I got the 3DS version, because I only know one other person with a 3DS, and that's my folks who have a Wii U and Smash 4 already.

The primary factor for me was being able to practice for when I visit my folks, though most of them just play casually my aunt's boyfriend and her older son both like 1v1 no items stuff. I hoped single player and online would be nice, since I didn't have plans for any kind of local play whatsoever.

Online play is a hell of a lot better than the nightmare that was Brawl. A whole mode dedicated to 1v1 no items omega stages was certainly a very nice gesture, but the netcode itself is much better. Though anything would be better than what we had in Brawl. It's really nice having a Smash Bros game worth playing online now, and one that fits in my pocket no less.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.