[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As someone who has never a played final fantasy game, do I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2880x1800
As someone who has never a played final fantasy game, do I have to play through final fantasy xlll-1 and xlll-2 to enjoy lightning returns? Or can/ should I start with LR?
>>
>>319818056
You have to play smash 4 but only after the 15th in order to really appreciate her
>>
>>319818056
it's fine, this is the only redeemable game in the XIII series anyway.
>>
>>319818432
Ok but will I know what the fuck is going on? I dont want to be extremely confused
>>
>>319818056
It would greatly help. It is a linear story, after all, and LR ends it all.

Personally I think that the FF13 series gets way too much flak. I quite enjoyed them all, the games and series in whole simply improved towards the end.

>>319818646
No, you won't know what the fuck is going on.
Do yourself a favor, and just play the whole trilogy.

13 was an OK game, with horribly slow and linear beginning, but it's otherwise fine. 13-2 was actually a huge improvement in many ways, and one of my all time favorite JRPGs.
LR was my 2014's GOTY. A total overhaul gameplay-wise, with hint of Majora's Mask in the mood and plot.
>>
>>319818056
Playing LR first would be the same as watching Star Wars ep6 before any of the others: Doable, but fucking idiotic.

I don't care what /v/ says, FFXIII was not the doom of the series or anything. It's a simple, entertaining JRPG ride, that just overstays its tutoring period. Luckily, the XIII-2 treats the original FFXIII as its own "tutorial", so you get straight to action and get more toys to play around afterwards.
>>
>>319818056
>do I have to play through final fantasy xlll-1 and xlll-2 to enjoy lightning returns?
If you want to skip every single conversation and cutscene...maybe. To be honest, the Final fantasy 13 games are so rookie-friendly, that you might just play them all in order, and then try the "good ol'" titles, like 4,6,7 and 9. Or if you liked 13's style more, then the FF10.
>>
File: laughing_whore02.webm (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
laughing_whore02.webm
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>319820164
>skipping cutscenes in LR
>>
>>319818056
>Starting with XIII

No
>>
>>319818056
It's the third game in the trilogy, the fuck do you think?
>>
I don't think it's worth it especially if you never played any FF before, there's much FF to puts you hands on.

That said if you really want to try it, just youtube the story for 13 and then play 13-2.
What 13-2 gives you right from the start is better than what 40 hours of corridors in 13 leads you to.
>>
>>319820963
you're not going to learn to play the game well like that tho'.
>inb4 "just smash X!"

I put 100h into XIII. Not the best anything, but fun.
>>
>>319821269
Just smash X and paradigm shift every now and then
>>
>>319820963
>What 13-2 gives you right from the start is better than what 40 hours of corridors in 13 leads you to.

you get even more corridors and re-used maps!
>>
File: 1341407247649.jpg (351 KB, 1000x625) Image search: [Google]
1341407247649.jpg
351 KB, 1000x625
Question:
If I know the plot of XIII from watching Spoony's review can I safely watch a summary/cutscene compilation of XIII-2 on youtube in order to play this? Or should I wait for a Christmas sale on XIII-2 and play that first?
>>
>>319818056
>can I start with Witcher 3?
>can I start with Metal Gear 4?
>can I start with Return of the Jedi?
>can I start with Return of the King?

What the fuck is wrong with you.
>>
>>319821935
>Spoony's review

You should probably just end yourself desu
>>
>>319819391
Don't listen to this faggot the sequels have so little to do with the original game that you can just skim some playthrough videos and you'll be fine. You might still get the sense that the story is reliant on a bunch of stuff you're missing out on, but honestly it feels that way to everyone, the theming and internal consistency is awful and there's literally stuff in the datalogs(story recap buried in the menu) that didn't actually happen or was very poorly communicated in the actual game/cutscenes.

If you've never played a Final Fantasy, I'm guessing part of it is because of the turn based combat -- if that's the case this might be a good introduction for you because it's a weird mix of action and turn based(which is what XIII tried to do but miserably failed, whereas LR does a pretty good job). However, most people really play the series for their stories, don't let any edgy contrarian sperglords try to convince you otherwise. In that sense, any of the XIII games could be viewed as a terrible introduction because they all have easily the worst stories of the entire series, bad enough that many people would probably write off the others before giving them a decent chance.
>>
Does the first game get any better? I'd like to play them all, but I'm like four hours in and I feel like all I've done is walk down a corridor and hit spam the Attack button.
>>
>>319821729
>moving goalposts
>>
>>319820164
skipping 8

b8
>>
>>319823432
It does, but not for a looooooong time.
>>
>>319823432
You've got another 10-16 hours of corridor-running before the game opens up.
>>
>>319823432

it gets a bit better but only after 18 or so hours of walking down corridors and spamming the attack button
>>
Hey guys i never watched the Lord of the Rings..should i watch the 3rd movie?

Will i know what the fuck is going on?

Thanks
>>
>>319823869
>>319824070
>>319824114
Mmf. Maybe I'll drink a bunch and power through it. I want to play 2 and 3 and it would trigger my autism to skip 1.
>>
>>319823869
>>319824070
>>319824114
Why is that? I'm not trolling, just genuinely curious. Does the game seriously change that much after the first twenty hours? What kind of game design is that?
>>
>>319824729
You can't use your full party for most of the game because they get split up and it switches between them. You also get the game's equivalent of Limit Breaks really late, so the gameplay feels gimped for a while.
>>
>>319824729
After 20ish hours you reach Gran Pulse, which is like a more traditional world map; marking the point where the game both literally and proverbially "opens up".
>>
>>319818056

OP here is a 16-bit summary of the first two lightning games, made by square, just for people like you.

It starts out really neat, but then you get to see what a sheer clusterfuck the story becomes.
>>
>>319825160

Oh shit haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NFmP4fVBqA
>>
>>319824729
It changes, but not as much as people make it out to. There's a big bossfight where you're finally pretty much required to use all the roles and time your shifts more carefully(you can scrape through using noob tactics but then the fight takes forever and you get like one star). After that there's a huge difficulty spike and you go through this long ass dungeon with actual semi-challenging monsters and then you're plopped in a big field reminiscent of the Calm Lands if you've played FFX.

Note that, like the Calm Lands, nothing actually happens to further the story and there isn't really anything to explore or any interesting sidequests aside from Cieth Stone missions which are basically "go here, kill this." Even after you find Chocobos the only thing it accomplishes is finding MORE Ceith Stones and some lame arena style battle thing which is just more Ceith Stones arranged in a tiered structure. Also the map is huge as fuck despite not having anything to do but fight monsters so eventually you'll unlock teleportation Ceith Stones that let you travel back and forth more easily so you can hunt monsters to unlock more Ceith Stones.

i fucking hate ceith stones
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.