[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I unironically liked RE3's quick time events. In /v/'s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Qte_3.jpg (9 KB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
Qte_3.jpg
9 KB, 300x240
I unironically liked RE3's quick time events. In /v/'s opinion, are quick time events EVER a good thing?
>>
>>319801676
No.
They are ALWAYS a lazy method to make the player press buttons without implementing any proper game mechanics.
>>
>>319801676
I liked them in Revengeance and Wonderful 101.
>>
>>319801676
those are not QTEs.
There's nothing "quick" about them.

They're binary choice sections. With 3rd option being not choosing either or in time, resulting often a neutral situation.
>>
>>319802768
So it's not a QTE if you're given lots of time instead of just a small amount of time? Where's the line? I couldn't find a picture but there was one QTE where you fell into a hole that was pretty quick.

Or does the neutral option make it okay, in which case QTEs are fine if they don't result in instant death when failed?
>>
>>319801676
No, because they reduce actual gameplay to mindless button pressing.

Instead of including a quicktime event which makes your character duck or jump in order to evade a trap in a cutscene the game could implement the trap in actual gameplay and have the player duck or jump via actual game mechanics like in an actual game rather than a shitty interactive movie.
>>
>>319801676
I didn't. They were like the shitty predecessor to QTEs.

Half of them in RE3 were completely redundant and could have been much better executed with simple in-game actions instead. That fucking screenshot is a perfect example, it should have just defaulted to the fight with Nemesis option and let the player decide for themselves how to react.
>>
simon says is a pretty good video game, its a pity the electronic ones are so much more dificult :(
>>
>>319803542
Sort of yes.

QUICK time events should be QUICK.
Also they should penalize player if they "fail" it, usually meaning pressing the shown button combination in time.

RE3's two-choice scenes don't really penalize the player, just gives you a different outcome. It's a barebones branching system, with little effect to the final conclusion in the end.
>>
>>319803542
Decision making is not a quicktime event.

A quicktime event is a timed query of the player to press a certain button in order to make the character perform a certain action.

The problem with them is that they take place outside of actual gameplay and are usually hugely disproportionate when it comes to what the player does and what the character does.

Decision making like in RPGs is an entirely different mechanic - and this usually involves character stats/skills so the player actually needs to anticipate what his character can or can't do in order to make an educated guess rather than simply pressing a button at the right moment.
>>
QTEs during cutscenes are terrible.

During gameplay, like as a finishing move, they're mostly fine as long as they don't abuse them or use them instead of actual gameplay mechanics
>>
>>319801676
No, because it turns something that should be a gameplay event into an interactive movie... or more specifically, a test to make sure you're still paying attention while watching a cutscene. RE4 is a big offender here.
>>
They almost always suck when they are used for combat or other "action" sequences, especially when they are overused. However I think they're ussually ok when used for other purposes, like for example activating devices etc... The best example I can think of right now are generators in Alan Wake. Having to quickly get through QTE to activate generator while being chased by an army of taken instead of simply pressing the button and waiting for Alan to do it himself made it much more intense without making it cheap and easier at the same time. IMO it's much better than simply waiting for character to get through animation and hoping he won't get hit in the meantime.
>>
>>319803867
this, proper solution would've been to just not have a selection screen, just let the player figure out that they can have the option to avoid the fight by using the door
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.