[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Since everyone on here is complaining about Bethesda retconning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 22
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 600x480
Since everyone on here is complaining about Bethesda retconning a lot of fallout's lore and since i never really got into that series could people tell me what they changed?

Not looking for a fight, just asking a question.
>>
They made Jet a pre-war drug.
>>
Bumping for the truth
>>
File: fallout continuity.png (651 KB, 690x1262) Image search: [Google]
fallout continuity.png
651 KB, 690x1262
>>319796687
>>
>>319796905
Which is funny because jet is just plastic and shit.
>>
>>319796687
They turned ghouls from rotting zombie lookalikes into burn victims that don't look like they could fall apart at any moment. The war was started by Aliens.
>>
>>319796905
>implying inhaling feces to get high is a new concept.
>>
File: eazy.jpg (17 KB, 227x203) Image search: [Google]
eazy.jpg
17 KB, 227x203
>>319797139
Damn right. There be no good post-apocalyptic computer role playing games after Fallout 2. It is nothing but downhill from here.
>>
How did FEV get to the east coast?
Wasn't there only FEV vats in one vault? Why are there so many supermutants on the east coast?
>>
>>319796905
>somehow, in some fucking way, despite there being next to no long range communication, Jet is supposed to have a single origin post war even though it's nothing but plastic and fertilizer

/v/ is really REALLY fucking stupid
>>
how can you build generators so easily in fallout 4 if there was no fuel in the country before the war?
>>
>>319798335
it just works
>>
>>319798110

In Fallout 3's retcon Vault Tec developed the FEV and used it in Vault 87's experiment.
>>
>>319798316
>defending Bethesda's lore raping

Retarded drones like you will lead to the death of this series. I bet you're also fine with bottle caps being used as currency on the east coast when it makes just as little sense.
>>
>>319798335
>Games entire premise is built around the rarity of oil
>Oil in game is only a slightly uncommon resource

This still bugs me
>>
>>319798335
Don't they say in the opening movie of 4 that the resource crisis was ended when they got fusion working but that it was too late and someone started the war anyhow?
>>
>>319798335
Powered by radiant questing
>>
>>319797139

What the fuck is wrong with the Fat Man?
>>
>>319798647
>this is somehow defending fallout 4 and 3 being shit, rather than just being the truth

you're a stupid cunt lmao
>>
>>319798805
>What the fuck is wrong with the Fat Man?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geLiEiAiQJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZxGATrB5jw
>>
>>319798661
The crisis wasn't totally over as the US was the only country on earth that got fusion to work. That's why China attacked us and that why we were able to invade their mainland; they had no oil.
>>
>>319799246
>China attacked us
Aliens from Mothership Zeta you mean.
>>
>>319798805
Bethesda forgot that Americans are evil and that nukes are bad.

Fallout isn't supposed to be some grand majestic positive game. It's supposed to be depressing and fear-inducing.
>>
>>319798568
Nope.
Vault tech just tested Fev in one of their vaults.
They didn't develop it.
It is not something unusual that a government funded weapons program, which Fev was, would be tested in multiple places, by different parties.
>>
>>319798110
One of the writers confused West Tek and Vault Tec

No joke
>>
They prewar checkpoints you can find have Virtibirds and you can find the Enclaved developed Power Armor at them along with them locked away at prewar installations. I find this one really weird because the loading screen tooltips mention that they are postwar.
>>
>>319798978
I like how the controller chip is just a bunch of radio amplifiers.
>>
>>319799478
>Fallout isn't supposed to be some grand majestic positive game. It's supposed to be depressing and fear-inducing.

Nothing more fear-inducing and depressing than a man-portable nuclear launcher?
>>
>>319796687
The big problem with FO3 is, they looked at Tactics, decided they wanted a BoS that got off their high horse and helped the common man, then completely fucked it up
>>
File: fallout creators.jpg (2 MB, 2006x2173) Image search: [Google]
fallout creators.jpg
2 MB, 2006x2173
>>319800341
>>
File: 1350414094211.jpg (256 KB, 508x507) Image search: [Google]
1350414094211.jpg
256 KB, 508x507
>>319801472
I didn't defend Fallout 3.

I just don't think the Fat Man is out of place in a universe with pneumatic punching fists.
>>
>>319798316
So what you're saying is that it makes no sense that it could have had one single origin because of no long range communication and that rather it has multiple, different origins that all just decided to name it the exact same thing despite the lack of said communications?
>/v/ is really REALLY fucking stupid
Ironic.
>>
>>319801869
it's no coincidence the name of the drug is the same. Bethesda fucked up. Just like how there is no explanation for how Vault-Tec obtained FEV.
>>
>>319798335
and don't forget the water purifiers
>>
File: Dead_Inside.png (136 KB, 410x453) Image search: [Google]
Dead_Inside.png
136 KB, 410x453
>>319799858
>>
>>319796687
A lot of the big complaints about their writing isn't actually about retcons (though they are there), a lot of complains are about the directions they took certain factions and ideas, and the shoehorning they did.

Like, the first games were set on the west coast which had a lot of self contained lore in regards to super-mutants, the Brotherhood of Steel, and the Enclave.

When Fallout 3 came around, it's writing did two things at the same time to many of these elements:

>It transplanted them in a very strained fashion from the west coast to the east coast. While technically mutants, BoS, Enclave, etc are explained, the explanation feels unsatisfying and the factions feel unnecessary. Rather than building totally new factions, which would make more sense from a story perspective for the new setting, these existing things were clearly shoehorned into the game to appeal to nostalgia and consumer recognition.
>The second problem is that many of the factions were radically flanderized and simplified. This is most apparent with the BoS, where again, it is explained, but that begs the question of why even have the BoS in the game if they are going to be so different.

Aside from retcons and changes to existing lore, many fans who are big lore and worldbuilding fans were not at all satisfied with the world of Fallout 3. It felt like a themepark, as it were, where each location had a specific gimmick, but was never really fleshed out enough to feel sensible. Bethesda seems to make locations based on "wouldn't that be cool looking?" logic.
>>
>>319804105
con't

Some people like that, some people don't. I don't. A cool/wacky location might be interesting at first, but it very quickly leads to questions that can't be shaken, which destroys the integrity of the fictional world. I want to be immersed, but my brain won't let me, because I notice all these worldbuilding problems.

Many of the sidequests make the NPCs look retarded and unable to solve simple things which you'd expect a person to be able to solve for themselves, which further degrades the believability of the world.

The main plotline similarly suffers from not really making much sense. Again, because it's built with "wouldn't that look cool?" logic and as an excuse to get us around the map, rather than as a great story.

My 0.02 tho
>>
I feel like Fallout 4 doesn't get enough credit for taking the Brotherhood back to its morally gray roots.
>>
>>319804638
What credit? They only changed it because so many people bitched about it

What should we say? "Thanks for unfucking your fuck up, keep it up"?
>>
I've also heard that the original Fallout games didn't play up the 1950s aesthetic as much as Bethesda did. I wish Bethesda hadn't done that, because I really don't care for the 1950s.

It's also ironic that the nuclear war was caused by resource shortages, because all those problems were about to be solved. Scientists had actually created *replicators* and sent them to the Sierra Madre. If only we'd held on a little longer, there would have been no war.
>>
>>319804928
>Sierra Madre
>canon
>>
>>319804928
Those replicators still needed fissionable materials to operate, they wouldn't have done much more than stave off the inevitable for a while
>>
>>319804756
"You've shown small capacity to learn, in this one specific scenario, and have reduced your level of fuckup from total to near total. GJ, gold star."
You can't give them negative feedback, that will just stunt their growth and development. They need to be reminded that while everyone is a winner, they're not the winning winner today.
>>
>>319804928
>It's also ironic that the nuclear war was caused by resource shortages, because all those problems were about to be solved. Scientists had actually created *replicators* and sent them to the Sierra Madre. If only we'd held on a little longer, there would have been no war.

Easy nuclear power had mad people very accustomed to a high standard of living, and thus extremely wasteful. The Fallout world never learned about recycling or how to make efficient anything. Everything they did, technologically, was brute force.

Water was drying up, materials for plastic was drying up, farmland was shrinking, and there had already been minor nuclear attacks. The pre-war world was inevitably fucked; that's why the Enclave started planning ahead.

Also, go play the originals. Super cheap on steam, and they still hold up. Fallout 1 is probably my 1 RPG of all time.
>>
>>319805396
>The pre-war world was inevitably fucked
This really makes me feel like the opening to Fallout 4 in the house was a wasted opportunity. Why not show how fucked the world was like for the average person? Signing up for the Vault should be a decision made out of fear, not just a "Yea ok, that sounds cool" thing.
>>
>>319800341
>Nothing more fear-inducing and depressing than a man-portable nuclear launcher?

Do you not see why nuclear capable nations flinging mini-nukes at each other is kind of a silly fucking idea?
>>
>>319804928
>the original Fallout games didn't play up the 1950s aesthetic as much
They were working with limited graphical options. If they tried to shoehorn in too much art deco it would have looked out of place instead of providing certain areas a unique look and feel like the bone yards and cathedral. There's certainly a very dieselpunk feel and look to the world, but its kept at a more believable level.
>>
File: images.jpg (24 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
24 KB, 300x450
>>319804928
The originals feel like Mad Max: the video games. Everything about the aesthetic, the artstyle, the armor and weapons, factions like the Great Khans, and even the concept art and promotional material are inspired by Mad Max. The originals feel way more like 80's sci-fi than 50's sci-fi. The Mad Max inspiration was lost for some reason in the 3D games, even New Vegas which was pretty true to the originals.
>>
File: 1334494971187.jpg (258 KB, 900x654) Image search: [Google]
1334494971187.jpg
258 KB, 900x654
>>319805648
It's no sillier than a military satellite designator designed like a child's ray gun or mechanized suits of powered armor.

The Davy Crockett actually worked decades before any suit of Power Armor ever will.
>>
>>319806000
It's not hard to put an explosive on a thing and then launch it a distance

That's not a technical achievement on the same scale as powered armour or laser satellites
>>
>>319805752
It was a good blend. The pre-war world was solidly 50s, and the post-war was Mad Max.

The stuff like the Vaults all being giant, unethical social experiments on the population, and experimenting on soldiers by exposing them to FEV was very true-to-life 1950s though, IMO. It had the shady unethical feel of stuff like real life chemical weapon and drug experiments done in the 50s and 60s to the population and soldiers, with not a fuck given.

Pretty weird in the newer games how much the Chinese show up. In the older games, the war was made like it was a very impersonal Dr. Strangelove event, but in Fallout 3, we got Chinese paratroopers in Washington DC. I didn't like that.
>>
>>319800132
The Enclaved shit just spawns if you're past a certain level, iirc.

Like any power armour drops will just be APA shit at a certain point.
>>
>>319806000

The Davy Crockett is a little different than 50 foot blast radius Nuke dispenser.
>>
>>319796687
People complaining about the lore and the writing arent really mad about what they say they are, they are mad that hte fallout series that htye loved changed its style so drastically.

Fallout never had perfect writing and its always had a decent bit of silliness to it, not to mention a few internal inconsistencies in the old games, but people were willing to gloss over it because they were getting a solid CRPG with pretty solid writing. But people who adore CRPG's generally dont tend to enjoy FPS's with much toned down RPG mechanics. Put on top of that the writing while still pretty ok was very different in its presentation and you have a recipe for a game that may be loved by many but will infuriate old fans who dont want a re-imagining of the series with modern design ascetic fueling it, they want the "true" successor of fallout 2 and everything that title would bring with it.

It the same reason new vegas gets praised to death by these people, they see it as closer to the original than 3. However id argue that if 3 didnt exist new vegas would be just as despised. If not for that far worse foil (at least as these peopel see it) new vegas would look like just as big of a "betrayal" of the series as 3/4 currently do.
>>
>>319806000
>The Davy Crockett actually worked
Technically it did it's job, but even in an age when chicken warmed nuclear landmines were being considered the Crockett had no fans and no support for actual use.
>>
>>319806000
I wouldn't have minded the Fat Man as a one-off joke that's a little hidden away. But again, it doesn't really vibe with a cohesive setting when there are dozens of them laying around.

It's too far into "Hey guys wouldn't this be wacky!" territory. Power armor does no feel impractical in its own universe. The sat gun is really goofy, but again, there is only one of them and its semi-hidden away from the player.
>>
>>319806000
I don't think you quite understand why it's a silly idea. Nations are on the fucking verge of nuclear war for decades and yet Todd believes it's perfectly reasonable to have conflicts between these nations where soldiers LITERALLY FLING nukes at each other.

You also seem to not understand the Fallout series. People are supposed to be fucking terrified of the bombs, even after a hundred years people are still freaked out.

Most people in the real Fallout universe want to keep to themselves in their little settlements and survive. Todd's version of Fallout is people running around with wacky weapons killing each other.
>>
>>319805752
reminded me of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTAYdjVnWOo
>>
>>319806671
I think it's incredibly weird Fallout 3 and onward write the US-Chinese conflict as actually being very hot.

It made more sense to me that it would be a long running, incredibly large cold war with only a smoldering smirkish here or there between the two main powers.
>>
>>319805643
I honestly wished the neighborhood would've felt a lot more desperate. Especially with the Gov in Fallout lore was pretty fucking authoritarian.
>>
>>319806413
I'd offer as a small counterpoint that if FO3 didn't exist, New Vegas wouldn't have been beholden to Bethesda's world design. And honestly who knows how it would have played if Obsidian did it from the start.
>>
Why do all the mutants in FO3 and FO:NV have lip straps? (not sure if the FO4 mutants still have them)
>>
>>319806995
i dont see why it cant be both. Through most of history cold wars usually end up being quite hot eventually. Our most modern example is to the contrary and that might bring confusion but none the less both a cold and hot war happening in succession isnt too hard to belive
>>
>>319805752
In New Vegas, it was probably a result of them having to reuse Fallout 3's 50s-style assets since they didn't have enough time to make their own. At least that's what I'd like to think. I'd certainly prefer an 80s aesthetic to a 50s aesthetic.
>>
>>319806995

I won't pretend to know anything about the pre-war lore, but I would have assumed they drew the conflict out exactly like our cold war, proxy wars, covert government espionage, etc.

There was something about Tel-Aviv being nuked by extremists or something, you'll NEVER get any kind of stories like that in Fallout anymore. It took me a while to realize it, but fuck Bethesda's vision of Fallout is just plain retarded.
>>
File: FO01_NPC_Lieutenant_N.png (518 KB, 803x414) Image search: [Google]
FO01_NPC_Lieutenant_N.png
518 KB, 803x414
>>319807189
FEV causes their upper lips to grow too large, so they have to pin them back
>>
>>319798805

>civilization scoured by nuclear weapons
>better use a mini-nuke

>>319797139

Saddest thing is that FO3 could have been a whole new location completely with all its own lore, quirks, and factions. I mean, is it really that hard to think of all the fun things that can happen in the wasteland. But no, Bethesda is so creatively bankrupt that it takes the two main objectives from 1/2 (GECK, water) and stuffs it into the main mission while carrying pretty much every faction over for no fucking reason. Harold is there too. It's seriously disappointing.
>>
>>319805752
For me personally, having real world weapons helped with the atmosphere. Also Bethesda took the 50's sci-fi thing way to far. Sure, it was there but they're forgetting the great war happened over 100 years after WWII.
>>
File: 1440616965837[1].jpg (91 KB, 354x354) Image search: [Google]
1440616965837[1].jpg
91 KB, 354x354
>>319807453
>But no, Bethesda is so creatively bankrupt that it takes the two main objectives from 1/2 (GECK, water) and stuffs it into the main mission while carrying pretty much every faction over for no fucking reason. Harold is there too. It's seriously disappointing.
War, war never changes.
>>
>>319807217
In a world on where each side has a giant arsenal the can destroy the world, that creates a chilling effect on direct conflict.

Everybody would be all about proxy wars.

Also, seriously, Chinese paratroopers landing in DC? As the bombs are dropping? The fuck is happening here?
>>
File: 1400388503794.jpg (37 KB, 473x451) Image search: [Google]
1400388503794.jpg
37 KB, 473x451
>>319797180
>>319797365
>>319798316
>bethdrones talking like they know shit

Play Fallout 2, you meet the creator of Jet and you see that his creation allowed for him to become incredibly wealthy and to allow a crime family to take control of the drug trade in the Fallout universe.

Also, Jet is specifically mentioned to be Brahmin feces, a creature that wouldn't be able to exist until after the war.
>>
>>319799298
Aliens fired one or two shots at most. That was all it would have taken. I mean it's still stupid, but not AS stupid. 30% less stupid.
>>
>>319806995
China invaded Alaska. America annexed Canada to hold the line. America invaded China. America recaptured Alaska. With their backs to the wall, China started the Great War by launching the first nukes, which ended two hours later.

At least, the Enclave claim China started it. It might have been America. The Enclave were preparing for it the whole time, after all.
>>
>>319807642
>Also, seriously, Chinese paratroopers landing in DC? As the bombs are dropping? The fuck is happening here?

Don't forget the completely backwards pants-on-head retarded idea that Bethesda thinks maybe the ayy lmaos caused the war.
>>
>>319807189
The strand Richard made that creates mutants for some reason gives them impractically large upper lips. Marcus can still talk fine but who knows how it fared with the other mutants.
>>
Small one, but I can't believe no one's mentioned it. Cats should be extinct.

The worst part is that there's literally no reason for cats to be in the game. Replace them all with dogs and the game is the same.
>>
File: Fo4supermutantlightbodyarmor.png (2 MB, 942x761) Image search: [Google]
Fo4supermutantlightbodyarmor.png
2 MB, 942x761
>>319807189
FO4 mutants don't. They look boring as fuck.
>>
>>319802160
>no explanation
>military officials directing/observing experiments in the vault logs to ideally develop super soldiers
>no explanation
This discussion is for people who've played the game, not just parrots who shitpost.
>>
>>319804638
Except they totally ignore the other aspect of the Brotherhood, that they are essentially doomed to extinction due to their xenophobia, and have to either overcome their prejudice and work with the people (as they do with the NCR prior to the war that wipes them off the map) or die.

Instead, they go "Well, you didn't like when we made them super awesome, amazing at everything heroes of the world, so what if we made them super awesome, amazing at everything not-nice heroes of the world? Is that better?"
>>
>>319807916
That's just a lumpy green human
>>
Why are we bothering to argue the finer points of the backstory when the TARDIS is canon, making all this talk pointless?

>a sample of Jet was taken back in time to pre-war and developed

You see?
>>
File: boyanddog.jpg (16 KB, 314x200) Image search: [Google]
boyanddog.jpg
16 KB, 314x200
>>319805752
They were based more off of A Boy and His Dog than Mad Max.
It's just that since Mad Max was more recent, it was more apparent.
>>
>>319807657
It would only need one blast in a nations capital. The fact that they decided that aliens were needed to light the spark and start the war was inane.

"I just don't know Todd, I don't see two super powers going full nuclear over anything."
"Fuck it, have some aliens start the whole thing then."
>>
>>319807918
FEV wasn't being developed or tested in a Vault, senpai.

It was a separate project by a different military R&D section.
>>
File: Fo1_WestTek_Surface.png (3 MB, 2240x1222) Image search: [Google]
Fo1_WestTek_Surface.png
3 MB, 2240x1222
>>319807918
There is no explanation for how Vault-Tec obtained FEV.
>>
>>319807918
There's no reason for FEV to be on the East Coast other than an excuse to have Super Mutants in the game. It's retarded.

West Tek was already testing the FEV. It was so important for the US they moved it into a fucking military base for it's own protection. Why in the hell would they send it off to Vault-Tec? They're not even a part of the government.
>>
>>319808107
It's based on all that stuff. I mean, the first costume you get is Mad Max's jacket, one of the first weapons is a lookalike to Max's shotgun and Dogmeat's old owner was described as looking like Max.

Let's just say the creators were big fans of all the post-apocalypse fiction around them.
>>
>>319808107
Places like Junktown and the Hub feel very Mad Max-like. And you can get Max's car in Fallout 2.
>>
>>319808370
>They're not even a part of the government.
They were part of the Enclave, though
>>
>>319807916
>melted orcs

I even liked fo3 mutants more
>>
>>319807642
>In a world on where each side has a giant arsenal the can destroy the world, that creates a chilling effect on direct conflict.
absolutely, but id cite the relative lack of poison gas attacks during ww2 as an example of how this could happen. During WW1 mustard gas among other chemical agents was a BIG deal and defined how the war was fought. After WW1 international law was made banning them, but everyone knows that shit goes out hte window during war so everyone on all sides prepared for the worst, but for hte most part it never came. Seemingly the most devistating weapon wed ever made (until later in the war when we invented "the bomb") and we were holding back because of the sheer terror it inflicted.

In that vein i could absolutely see proxy wars evolving into real conflicts and after quite a while of full blown war only then do the bombs drop.

im just theorizing though, i fully admit i dont know enough old fallout lore to make any real claim

>Also, seriously, Chinese paratroopers landing in DC? As the bombs are dropping? The fuck is happening here?
im not trying to say all the writing is good, thats blatantly retarded
>>
>>319808185
watch as some idiot replies to your post with "b-b-but the military has ties other branches and could have easily moved assets around"

then explain how Vault-Tec was able to:

- design a facility to safely test and store it
- study the entirety of another division's research and modify their own version of it
- pack it up and send it to a Vault
- do all of the above in less than one year before the bombs exploded

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

you just can't defend this shit anymore, bethdrones. you're only making yourself look foolish.
>>
>>319808185
>>military officials directing/observing experiments in the vault logs to ideally develop super soldiers
>It was a separate project by a different military R&D section.
>different military R&D section
>military R&D
How the fuck does that contradict the logs? Vault tec rubbed elbows with the military, at least in the Bethesda canon, so why would it disprove military involvement is military R&D was in charge of the testing in general? That's the fucking point. The military was using a vault-tec installation to test the FEV in FO:3's narrative.
All I was saying was that, yes there was an explanation as to why FEV was on the east coast. The military, I'm sorry a part of the military, was testing it in multiple locations under different conditions.
That's it.
Jesus I forgot what /v/ is like.
>>
>>319808594
They were contracted by the US government. They're not the Enclave. If they were the Enclave they would have built a massive Vault Facility for themselves, except lol it's a oil rig guise.
>>
>>319798335
>>319802941
I'd imagine it's just for gameplay sake. In story canon it's probably an extreme rarity and you wouldn't have 50 generators out powering your big glowing neon cock-shaped sign, you'd just have one powering your whole base only as needed. Same with water purifiers, in story it's probably just digging wells.
>>
>>319808049

uh...what? is this bait or something, you retard?
>>
>>319808898
The CEOs and board members of all the US's biggest companies were members of the Enclave and saved themselves

Except House, CEO of RobCo, who apparently told them to go fuck themselves and saved himself
>>
>>319808954
Either way it's stupid. Internal consistency is a thing. You can't show one thing and then contradict it without explanation. It's the same shit with the ghoul in the fridge, they're supposed to be just irradiated humans yet that ghoul survived for 200 years locked in a fridge without eating or drinking anything.
>>
>>319808954
then they wouldn't have put it in the game. they just don't care.
>>
>>319796905
they made the fatman a pre-war weapon
>>
>>319808856
>How the fuck does that contradict
>at least in the Bethesda canon

Jesus I forgot what /v/ is like.
>>
>aliens being canon and not just some minor easter egg
>GECKs are magical matter re-arrangers that are designed to explode and immediately kill the user upon activation because ???
>>
File: GECK.png (119 KB, 458x638) Image search: [Google]
GECK.png
119 KB, 458x638
>>319809576
But does it still have the miniature pen flashlight
>>
>>319798647
>new owners can't make the series their own
ur a faget
>>
>>319809060

>http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Unusual_Call_Box

So every inconsistency can be explained by "the TARDIS did it". Because it's basically a big blue plot device.
>>
File: Fallout4_Workbench.jpg (462 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Fallout4_Workbench.jpg
462 KB, 1920x1080
>>319809576
>GECKs are magical matter re-arrangers
>>
>>319809576
>immediately kill the user upon activation because ???

Yeah, that really didn't make sense. I can accept it being super-science Genesis device, but how are you supposed to use it without killing yourself?
>>
>>319807916
Nice to see Jesse Ventura drop a cameo.
>>
>>319807651
there was always the chance that little shit was talking out his ass. and it now turns out he was, surprising nobody
>>
>>319809930
I think it was supposed to be a joke reference, anon.
>>
>>319807916
what mod is that? i want orcs in my game too
>>
>>319810259

someone needs to mod this in. Governor of minneSOTAH
>>
Jet being pre-war
Vertibird's pre-war
T-60 Power Armour
>>
>>319810423

Doesn't matter. It's canon. Anything else here could be explained as being a joke reference, too.

Autists respect canon. TARDIS is canon. Kiss goodbye to continuity. If you don't, and ignore the TARDIS, you might as well ignore everything else, too.

Catch 22.
>>
>>319810649
this is the shittiest bait i've ever seen. saved.
>>
>>319810389
wat.

It's pretty much proven that he made jet and that it was revolutionary.
>>
>>319810743

And it just so happens to be true. True enough that you have to cry about it.

Sorry about your luck, friend.
>>
>>319808847
Haha>>319808856
Poor luck on my end.
And why does me trying to encourage shitting on something for a proven fault, not just parroted complaints, mean I love everything about the fucking game? Fallout 3 is a mess. I just prefer things be shat on for actual reasons so the criticism can't just be chalked up to a "meme complaint" or something. That's all.
>then explain how Vault-Tec was able to:
>design a facility to safely test and store it
A high security underground facility with airtight chambers and incinerators, and some chemistry/bio-engineering equipment and laboratories? Sounds right up their alley, at least as far as the Bethesda timeline is concerned.
>study the entirety of another division's research and modify their own version of it
But the other division was mostly militarily controlled, so the research could be brought along. Why wouldn't it? That'd be beyond retarded, fiction or otherwise.
>pack it up and send it to a Vault
Again, why is that an ace in the hole?
>do all of the above in less than one year before the bombs exploded
Well they didn't perfect it on the east coast any better than the west, worse if I'm not mistaken. It's not brilliant writing, I'm not saying anything like that. I only want people to at least be upset with real mistakes, not just "hey this almost correctly remembered event was bullshit fuck this game". You're on your game though, that one guy was acting like a vague explanation is the same as none at all.
>>
>>319810997

TARDIS took it back to pre-war. Only explanation.
>>
>>319811003
please keep going. i want to see out autistic you can get. and keep calling everyone you don't agree with autistic. it's the one thing in your life that you're good at.
>>
>>319811464

Don't have to resort to name-calling, friend. I'm just telling you that when you put a time-travelling device in a game, you can't argue the minutiae of canon in it.

Not without looking a little silly, anyhow.
>>
>>319811617
do you know what an Easter Egg is?
>>
>>319812115
explain the Minutemen then. they were LITERALLY sent from the past in the TARDIS to FO4. that's how they started.
>>
>>319812115

Sure. Doesn't make it non-canon. The stuff in NV is because you need a specific trait to access it, and it's made clear that it's non-canonical.

Again, i'm really sorry that you can't argue your shitty little points here, m8. But whatever it is, the TARDIS did it.
>>
>>319798805
Nothing imo. Everything else about fallout 3 and 4 is stupid. Never got around to playing nv because 3 just pissed me off.
>>
>>319812412
Wild Wasteland is based off the same non-canon special encounters of the original games
>>
>>319804105
>>319804432
You write too flowery.
>>
>>319812715

wild wasteland is specifically non-canon. The original encounters aren't. If you can prove they aren't, then neat. if not, then you're talking out of your arse, and there's a fucking TARDIS in the games.
>>
>>319812868
Can you prove that they are considered canon?
>>
>>319812985

They're in the game, and they're not specifically noted as non-canon.
>>
>>319804432
While you're right with the 'would it look cool' thing, you have to admit, Rivet City was actually a a cool and not even that ridiculous idea for a city
>>
>>319813370
The city itself, I guess not. But it was located right in the middle of DC, which was full of super mutants and raiders. If you didn't use fast travel, you had to kill dozens of enemies to get there. Exactly like Diamond City actually. Who would build a town in those warzones?
>>
>>319805124
Anon, bethesda is more retarded than pavlov's dogs. They'll take that gold star as encouragement to make the mistake over and over again so they get the makeup happy stars in the game after.
>>
>>319798316
They could have just not put Jet in Fallout 3.
>>
File: welcome-to-megaton[1].jpg (687 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
welcome-to-megaton[1].jpg
687 KB, 1920x1200
>>319814006
>>
>>319814394
Not him but that city was build around a bomb
>>
>>319813257
i never ran into it in my playthrough, therefore it's not canon
>>
>>319810460
kek
>>
>>319814635

Who cares what you saw? it's still there, and documented. I didn't finish reading War and Peace either, but it still has an ending, dumbass.
>>
>>319814954
thats not how games with player choice and optional content work though. there's only 1 canon when the sequels come around
>>
>>319815029
Unless you're Daggerfall

Or Deus Ex
>>
>>319807723
anon, i think you're forgetting that aliums did it
>>
>>319815029

Sure it is. They're IN the game, so they're part of it.

Or can I also claim that Mothership Zeta doesn't exist because it's DLC and I never played it?

or that I never bothered playing through all of Fallout 3, so the protagonist CANONICALLY dies of starvation in a subway tunnel.

The lengths you will go to in order to cry about a videogame are truly, awe-inspiringly pathetic.
>>
>>319815596
we all know Mothership Zeta is non-canon
>>
>>319815808

Sure it is. Unless otherwise specified.
>>
>>319809875
I love the little things like that :3 but really it was just a "How to unfuck yourselves" kit.
>>
>>319809576
The GECK is a plot device. It does whatever is convenient at the time.
>>
isometric fallout was shit.
literally everything is better now.
>>
>>319816704
Threads a bit dead to be casting bait son.
>>
>>319816704

isometric fallout was shit.
literally everything is better now.

Nah.
>>
>>319816704
It was tough getting into at first after playing so many modern games, but after getting used to it the game gets really fun.
>>
>>319817226
The next part is the funny as hell or frustrating encounters but even then that get's easy.
>>
>>319816994

Agreed. Any time I think about playing isometric Faallout, I replay Arcanum:OSAMO

far better game in every way.
>>
>>319817572
Arcanum is just a steampunk Fallout tho
>>
>>319811102
FEV was top secret. It was moved to Mariposa to keep it top secret. The military commander in charge of the project didn't want anyone else to know. The Enclave didn't even know about it until they stumbled upon it.
>>
>>319817572
If you dig the weird magic and technology mixture than that's good on you man.
>>
File: 1325295198003.png (3 KB, 106x77) Image search: [Google]
1325295198003.png
3 KB, 106x77
AYY LMAOS DID IT!
>>
>>319817783

It's a similar game, but there is so much more to it.

Doesn't make Fallout bad though.
>>
>>319801472

senseless hate, just buy my game
>>
>>319816704
You'll never get that feel when you finish a long battle and look around the room to see all the corpses, as you start looting the bodies. The new Fallouts are fun, but 1 and 2 have a certain feel to them that makes them just as engaging as Half-Life.
>>
>>319814394
a fucking atomic bomb
>>
>>319819513
that whole engage and disengage combat and gaining XP after battle just isn't the same in the new games
>>
>>319809129
The defining characteristic of House's personality is arrogance. He felt he could do a better job of preserving the technological and cultural progression of the human species than anyone else could, including the Enclave.

Canonically, he was right.
>>
>>319809310
Fatman is a real thing in the real world, just on a tripod instead of over the shoulder.
>>
File: XrgtaVB.jpg (58 KB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
XrgtaVB.jpg
58 KB, 640x512
>>319821094
wow, your right
>>
>>319821094
>>319821320
Except it's still a massive explosion and mini nuclear explosions are physically impossible.
>>
>>319820950
you should see how assblasted he gets when you say something like you won't give him back the chip

he's right about fixing and securing the Mojave but he is so petty and controlling that all of his good intentions are just as bad as the alternative.
>>
>>319821417
it doesn't matter much because Fallout's science (well the original Fallouts) is much different than ours.

the point is that the Fatman doesn't belong in any Fallout Universe, NV included. It is just wrong on so many levels.

If you want to learn anything about Fallout it's that nuking things is bad. Period.
>>
>>319821724
>If you want to learn anything about Fallout it's that nuking things is bad. Period.

>nuking the Master
>nuking the Enclave
>bad
>>
>>319807651
Lol you're an idiot, fallout 2 came before fallout 4. If fallout 4 says jet is pre war then it is.
>>
>>319821927
why wasn't there a fatman in either of those games?

why didn't the enclave or the master or any of his supermutants use them?
>>
>>319807651

It's not just Brahmin shit, but whatever fumes come off of it when it was combined with a certain pre war protein chain.
>>
>>319822621
The Fatman is kind of silly, using full sized nukes to take out a legitimate threat is not.
>>
>>319821724
>Fallout's science (well the original Fallouts) is much different than ours.

No, it's just wrong science.
>>
>FO2
>Jet gives AP
>FO3
>Jet gives AP
>FONV
>Jet gives AP
>Turbo gives slowmo
>FO4
>Jet gives slowmo

It's just someone at Bethesda being petty
>>
>>319810389
>>319822675
If Bethesda didn't fuck up and mention Jet in a Pre-war terminal none of us would be having this discussion right now.
>>
>>319822816
yeah, nuking anything is bad. the chosen one and the vault dweller killed so much in order to protect their loved ones. It was a something they had to live with knowing they were responsible for so many deaths. Once is enough.

Then you have the highly questionable irresponsible Fatman and all the mini-nukes (plural) that you could just fuck around with whenever you felt like.
>>
>>319823641
Those nukes were justified, sure it's never truly black and white but nothing ever is.

And at least the mini-nukes are more controlled, and don't lead to the end of the world.
>>
Bethesdrones, your response
>>
>>319823253

Yeah, but they're dead set on fucking with the lore anyway. Why would Jet spread to the East Coast in the first place when the Midwest is nearly impossible to navigate? Why did Harold cross that bullshit just to turn into a tree in the span of 30 years? Why was there FEV in a Vault? Why bother playing Bethesda Fallout when they're just turning it into a generic post apocalyptic FPS?
>>
>>319823805
the fact that someone took it and made it into a cute miniature souvenir speaks volumes of the inconsistent writing from Bethesda. Nuking is bad. Americans were just as evil as everyone else. But in Bethesda's Fallout America is good and atom bomb baby, rocket-ship Nuka Cola, nuke and atom everything. Let's celebrate nukes! Oh no! everyone is dead! Drink more Nuka-Cola and listen to more 50's songs about nukes, right? War, war never changes *wink*.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDys8IwuyNs
>>
>>319808815
Mhmm, it was the same with crossbows way back when they were invented; people, I think the British, didn't want to use it as they deemed it "unchristian". This theme is present across wars and nations.
>>
>>319797612
>what is wasteland 2
>>
File: Fallout 3 Ending.png (244 KB, 935x2036) Image search: [Google]
Fallout 3 Ending.png
244 KB, 935x2036
>>319823913
>>
>>319824784
Too bad there's no section for the crazy slave bitch with the explosive collar that will do whatever you tell her

She might not survive but she still could have done it
>>
File: 1406355812286.png (50 KB, 454x451) Image search: [Google]
1406355812286.png
50 KB, 454x451
>people attempting to justify jet being mentioned as a pre-war drug by saying it's jenkem
>even though it's made by brahmin
>and somehow shares the same name, appearance, and effects as a drug some nerd would invent 140 years later
Toddites continue to amaze and delight.
>>
>>319810259
>>319810494
Thank you for your service
>>
>>319810505
>T-60 Power Armour
This is one of 4's most egregious offenses.
>alright guys we need to design a new suit of power armor
>it's T-45
>but with more dumb shit strewn over it
>and it will be more betterer than T-51 even though it was never seen or mentioned in previous games
>>
>>319816704
epic
>>
>>319826106
most of the time they're trying to ruse Fallout fans. No one is actually stupid enough to make those ridiculous accusations. Next thing you know they'll try to defend Bethesda by claiming that ancient egypt predicted 9/11 or something.
>>
>>319808305
Makes me wish I had a hot dog with a really long stick.
>>
T-51 is the most advanced power armor ever made on earth at the time.

Advanced Power Armor was made after the war by the Enclave who had scientists working on it for many years.

LOL T-60
LOL X-01
and you could just find these "worn-down" rusty suits and even collect them. even fucking raiders and their grandmother had power armor. you get power armor to kill a deathclaw at level 3.
>>
>>319810649
>Unusual Call Box is a special encounter in Fallout.
>These encounters are included purely for humor and/or easter eggs, and are random events that may or may not happen, depending on the player's Luck. They should not be considered canon.
>They should not be considered canon

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Unusual_Call_Box
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_special_encounters
>>
>>319812195
Source? I've yet to see any info to back up your claim.
>>
>>319808847
>then explain how Vault-Tec was able to: yadda yadda yadda

Redundancy. Specifically, putting a research station in a vault was the best way to keep it going even if the bombs fell. Someone must have had the foresight to notice that West-tec would be a target, and Mariposa as well. If those two facilities were destroyed in a war, all their FEV is gone. So one or more of the vaults were designated as FEV experiments that would only go in to effect if nuclear war broke out.
>>
>>319807642
Wasn't the entirety of the fucking middle east and EU a nuclear wasteland like 10 years before the final war between the US and China?

If that's the case, I think those powers realized that the world was already fucked and probably cared less about preserving the world as it was then, considering that social order in the US completely broke down leading up to the war anyway.
>>
>>319828101
>putting a research station in a vault
yeah that shouldn't be too hard. Just put on some gloves and a mask. It's not like it's deadly or could leak out or anything.

Good thing Vault-Tec was there to create Vault 87 specifically to test FEV.
>>
>>319827090
Did ancient egypt predict 9/11?
>>
>>319829178
I remember people claiming the Mayans's end of the world calendar incorporated 9/11.

What a bunch of pissed off Muslims have to do with the world ending naturally, I don't know.
>>
>>319829915
>end of the world calendar
It was just the end of the calendar

Their calendars were 400 odd years for whatever reason. If there were still Mayans about, they would have just made a new one. Like we do.

The world wont end in 2015 because the Gregorian calendar ends on December 31
>>
>>319830732
No no, you don't understand, if you add the dates of 9/11 and that one Japanese earthquake, it equals the 2012 date.
>>
>>319828101
>So one or more of the vaults were designated as FEV experiments that would only go in to effect if nuclear war broke out.
except Vault 87 was built before FEV was created.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

uh-oh
>>
>>319807181
If they had been allowed to they probably would've just made Van Buren.
>>
>>319830942
And if you add 9 to 11 you get 20, and if you take 8 from 20 you get 12, so if you join 20 and 12 you get 1220, the year Frederick II became Holy Roman Emperor

Coincidence?
>>
>>319826106
ok this sounds stupid i dont lvoe fallout but its very possible that the drug was around before the apocalypse then for all you know this guy "invents" something
>>
>>319831470
the only time Jet was mentioned as being pre-war was in Fallout 4 on one log file in a computer.
>>
>>319831416
Actually there is a theory that one of the emperors fucked with the dating and skipped everyone ahead a couple hundred years calendar wise or something.
From what I recall it's actually plausible, but also completely irrelevant.
>>
>>319832057
THE 1300'S ARE A LIE MAN
>>
i just wanted to come in to say that i love fallout 4

so much to do, i love exploring and taking in the setting and sub-plots

i role-play to myself, i dont need dialogue options doing it for me

im about 40 hours in, feels like im about 30% complete, that is ADHD speed gaming, usingnoclipmode to skip long walks/ fast traveling everywhere

All my settlements just contain beds food water and radio beacon, excited to go back once 14+ of my settlements have 20 people in them

PROTIP
nexus fallout4 mods, like get the mod installer in everything im super happy A++ texture mods gave me free FPS boosts, specifically
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/978/?

also pipboyReactionface.jpeg or whatever
>>
>>319817572
>>319817783
Age of Decadence is Ancient Roman Fallout. It even have power armor
Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.