[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>watch a video of a Demon/Dark1&2/Bloodborne boss fight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: darksouls.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
darksouls.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>watch a video of a Demon/Dark1&2/Bloodborne boss fight
>"THE EPITOME OF MELEE COMBAT IN VIDEO GAMES"
>every fight boils down to a basic timing exercise: press dodge when the enemy attacks, but not too early!

When will we have truly innovative combat in video games?
>>
>>319761659
>"THE EPITOME OF MELEE COMBAT IN VIDEO GAMES"
Says who?
Dark Souls combat is just slow and punishing which makes it feel good when you win.

Whos asking for innovative combat, I just want something that works.
>>
>>319761659
I'm loving this cringe.
>>
you never beat manus did you OP you piece of shit
>>
>>319761659

Fuck off

You wouldn't get it unless you played the games
>>
Reaction based combat instead of learning a pattern of tells.
>>
>>319761659
alright so no problem, we can argue that dodge timing is literally all there is to the souls series even if it isn't just for the sake of it.

so what? what's your point, sperglord? even if the game is nothing but a timing exercise, if it's entertaining and well executed, then where is the problem?

simplistic gameplay is hardly related to bad game design. if you don't like how the game plays, then too bad, i probably think your taste is shit too judging by the fact that you don't like souls games, but i keep it to myself instead of making threads. kill yourself.
>>
>watch a video

You have no right to even say anything about this game.
>>
>>319762350
this
>>
>>319761659
>>every fight boils down to a basic timing exercise: press dodge when the enemy attacks, but not too early!

What about attacking?
What about poise?
What about other methods of dealing damage?
What about hoards of enemies?

Play the game dingus.
Heres a sage for being so tarded.
>>
>>319761659
Have you ever played Ninja Gaiden?
>>
Have you ever played a game that's complex for the sake of it? Like you have all sorts of commands to use that don't really add up to making the combat more engaging? It's miserable, and we're better off with less games like that
>>
>>319762094
>>319762375
/v/ is divided into people who watch videos and play video games.

The ones who watch videos say that the games are shit and they don't need to eat shit to know it tastes bad.

The people who do play video games seem to like the games, discussing them and playing them.

I wonder who's right
>>
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 1106x1012) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 1106x1012
>>319761659
>shit that never happened: the post

More like
>watch soulsborne boss battle video
>player always had 99 vit and a huge greatsword tanking the boss hit left and right while locked on at all times fucking the camera up and overall showcasing bad gameplay
>at the end the player bows like they actually beat it with any skill

I hate it because it's those types of videos that show up the most when you search
>>
>>319761659
Simple=/=bad. In fact, relatively simple but well executed gameplay mechanics are almost always better than more complicated ones
>>
>>319761659
OP mad because enemies don't politely attack one at a time like his Assassin's Creed.

git gud
>>
File: Wiki-background.jpg (186 KB, 790x599) Image search: [Google]
Wiki-background.jpg
186 KB, 790x599
>>319761659
The epitome of melee combat is mount&blade. No other game has combat like it and it requires quick reaction timing and skill. DEFiNTLY in multiplayer.
were souls games are rolling. M&B is parrying kicking strafing deciding the direction of attack or stab.

MORE OPTIONS = MORE SKILL
FACT
>>
>When will we have truly innovative combat in video games?
https://www.kingdomcomerpg.com/?page_id=378
Youre welcome
>>
>>319763453
>No other game has combat like it and it requires quick reaction timing and skill.
>run backwards
>spam overhead/whichever attack you prefer
>faceroll everything as long as you have high enough weapon skill/powerstrike
>>
>>319761659

To be honest that is a correct assessment, as you don't even have to truly dodge the enemies attack as i-frames will cause it to harmlessly pass through you
But I'd still say it's amongst the best melee combat (for a single-player focused game) simply because most other games consist of either mashing the attack button or holding the block button then stabbing enemy after he attacks, both of which are mindless and depressing
Many don't even have basic shit like hitstun, footsies or actually using your items in gameplay (instead allowing you to pause the game and feast on recovery items)
Essentially the souls series wins by default
Mount and blade could give it a run for it's money, but the animations are likely to causes seizures in most normies and the AI is retarded
Honorable mention to dark messiah for it's hilarious environmental combat
>>
File: mountain blade.gif (177 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
mountain blade.gif
177 KB, 500x400
>>319763453
>The epitome of melee combat is mount&blade. No other game has combat like it and it requires quick reaction timing and skill.
>>
>>319763997
>>319765794
>playing on easy difficulty.
also never played multiplayer
>>
>>319761659
When we implement technology allowing realistic collision between weapons
>>
>>319765969
>realistic collision between weapons
counterstrike already did this
>>
>the epitome of melee combat in video games
glad i dont watch vids of bosses
>>
The biggest fault in Souls and Stillborn combat mechanics in PvE is that you win it just by dodging towards/against their weapon arm.

Shit couldn't make a good AI to counter that easy strat
>>
>>319761659
>every fight boils down to a basic timing exercise: press dodge when the enemy attacks, but not too early!
Don't forget the janky hitboxes. The only good thing that I can say about Souls Bossfights is that they at least have reasonable levels of HP.
The rest is literal shit, you have to cheese every boss unless you want to sit there for hours trying to get past one of them.
>>
>>319762375
Lol tell that to pkeks when they shit on bloodborne
>>
>>319761659
but it is innovating, it's based on spacing and positioning, doesn't get much better than that in terms of a base for your gameplay. Then of course you could add things on top of that but Dark souls definitely has the basics down.
>>
>>319761659

GIT
GUD
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.