[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes a good game? Story, Gameplay & Graphics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: 13924-26591.gif (42 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
13924-26591.gif
42 KB, 320x240
So what makes a good game?

Usually its, story 50% then gameplay 30% and graphics 20%. But even with those percentages, you will only have half a game if you only have a good story. Ironically you could have a great game with only good gameplay, but the flip side to that is that you would have a two times better game if it had a good story as well. Graphics alone wont save anything because its then just a glorified tech demo rather than a game. That said, I do love state or the art tech demos, but they are not games.
>>
File: 1430660454781.jpg (89 KB, 1532x1080) Image search: [Google]
1430660454781.jpg
89 KB, 1532x1080
Gameplay 40% Story 30%, Graphics 20% and Audio 10%
>>
>Story - 45%
>Gameplay - 45%
>Graphics - 10%

Now I'm not saying I don't like games with great graphics, but it's not a selling point for me.

I'll never understand how Witcher 3, which fell flat on story and gameplay, and to some, on graphics, won GOTY.

2015 was a shit year.
>>
Story 35%, gameplay 30%, soundtrack 25% graphics 10%
>>
>>319757554
Tetris has no story and it is GOAT.
Gameplay: 70%
Graphics: 10%
Music: 10%
Story: 10%
>>
Gameplay: 60%
Story: 20%
Music: 20%

Honestly, graphics are the last thing I look for in games, so I couldn't really care less about them.
>>
>>319758963
>>319758737
>>319758597
>>319758326
>>319758186
>All these sincere answers making me feel guilty and bad

IT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE A TROLL!! I found the comment on youtube.

Clearly the post was made by a dumb cocksucker as gameplay is most important in games.

I like Morrowind, 80% gameplay, 5% graphics
>>
>>319758737
This.
>>
Trying to split things up like this and put it into meaningless percentages is a waste of time senpai
>>
It must have graphics and gameplay in order to qualify as a 'video' 'game'. However, the narrative element shouldn't be downplayed because it is the source of motivation. Gameplay and narrative have a symbiotic relationship because the form of gameplay is heavily influenced by the initial idea of what a game should 'feel like' to play, which is not initially expressed as gameplay, but as something that has to be told, like a micro-narrative.

Graphics are ultimately how the gameplay<->narrative idea is conveyed, although the idea itself already has a visual dimension.
>>
File: SSIMG_001.png (88 KB, 254x248) Image search: [Google]
SSIMG_001.png
88 KB, 254x248
>>319757554
In Priority?
Audio - 50
Gameplay - 30
And the other assets for Story, World building, Graphical powess and making things look servicable.
>>
>>319760616
/r/iamverysmart
>>
>>319761256
I don't visit that site.
>>
>>319759931
well you see anon, you phrased it as a question and an opinion, and included an easy metric for discussion (the percentages), so it was in no way seen as bait, which is the only way to get the usual responses
>>
>>319759931
Well it's a decent topic of discussion anyway, which is why I replied.
>>
Do you guys agree with Nahtzee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7VAhzPcZ-s
>>
Gameplay 70%
Graphics 30%

I feel the atmosphere is extremely important, but gameplay and graphics plays a bigger part in the atmosphere than the actual story does. Just give hints about random shit you don't even know yourself and explain how everything is "ancient" and "unknown" and people will praise your game for the story.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.