[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is linear bad? I like being told what to do and where to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: 1402961477051.png (221 KB, 486x402) Image search: [Google]
1402961477051.png
221 KB, 486x402
How is linear bad?
I like being told what to do and where to go while enjoying a good fun story.

How is going round a big huge empty open world with senseless confusing plot plot any fun at all?

For example I was playing Fallout and it's just working around a big empty field doing random pointless quests for random faggots for no reason I don't see how this could be considered fun in anyway.

I'd rather go back and play Final Fantasy 10 please.
>>
Insufferable faggots like you can't stop bitching about how much you hate open-world structure. Linear is bad by association.
>>
File: 1403735911338.png (117 KB, 320x263) Image search: [Google]
1403735911338.png
117 KB, 320x263
>>319753483
Maybe if you and your cancerous ilk weren't going around ruining RPGs with your open world garbage
>>
Eh, either is fine as long as the game is designed well.

Most of my favourite games are pretty linear, but linearity can be grating if it goes too far. I'm not a fan of FFX, but I didn't find the linearity to be a major fault with the game since there was still some sense of exploration in many places. Whereas FFXIII was awful because it discarded even the illusion of exploration and made it clear that you were playing Universal Studios Theme Park Tour: Final Fantasy Edition. In that case the linearity was so apparent and in-your-face that it made the experience worse.

I do think the modern shift towards open world games and the tendency from some people to shit on linearity as a concept is unfortunate though. A lot of games don't benefit from being open world, they wind up sacrificing detail for a lot of meaningless filler content. Open world games can be good, and games that strike a balance between linearity and non-linearity (Deus Ex) can be great, but there's nothing wrong with a linear game as long as it still draws you in.
>>
I enjoy open world where the world is worth exploring. There was so much downtime in MGSV with nothing to do, I think peace walker actually did the base / world building better.

I wan't multiple routes to get through linear games with the freedom to return to areas I've completed for bonus stuff - Dark souls is kind of like that.
>>
>>319753673
>muh rpgs

go read a dnd rulebook you wizard faggot

gaming would've been so much better without the fucking dnd spreadsheet stat FUCKING SHIT influence
>>
I prefer more freedom in skills than exploration

But games like World of Warcraft are literally only good because of the exploration.
It can be fun but it's rarely done well.
>>
>>319753246
Then go for it anon, play ffx, nobody is stopping you!
You have the complete control over your live, do what you want to do, be what you want to be!
Good luck!
>>
>>319753246
If I wanted to read a book with a set narrative I would fucking do that.
>>
>you exist in this timeline with THESE people
>>
>>319753246
Linear is not inherently bad. A lot of games rpg's included are built like that and they are good.

The problem is devs are doing it wrong. Being told what to do is fine and dandy, but when they implement it like, they do it like they were presenting something to a retarded child who has trouble locating his dick, it becomes infuriating.

Also one part of the problem is that brain-dead shit-tards like you, seems to have problems forming even the simplest of thoughts and constructive thinking.
>>
>>319755481
uh open world is always done wrong
>>
>>319755573
How would you do it?
>>
>>319755653
Making it so that the game doesn't make you chase the things to do and that half the content aren't pointless, boring fillers or shitty pickup this item mission
>>
Well, something can be TOO linear and too rail-roaded.

But generally speaking, Open-World games go too far in the opposite direction.

The perfect type is hub based. Think Deus Ex, Vampire The Masquerade, the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Dark Souls, The Witcher 2, among many, many, many others.

A number of levels that are linear but fairly too very big, which may or may not be inter-connected with each other in a fake open-world kind of way.
>>
>I like being told what to do
That's because you're a weak little bitch, but we the american people will have freedom.
>>
>>319755814
So not have a game at all then? Like a lot of things fetch-quest can be done right and wrong. Making you fetch 5 unga-bunga berries can be irritating, especially if there is no context to it.

But what if the the fetch-quest entails that you were asked by a dirt-poor, fucker who needs saud unga-bunga cause his daughter caught the retardius fever. Then that quest can become more than just a chore, but will need to put some thought in order to appreciate that deed, "role-play" if you will.

Also what if they add that while you were collecting the berry you happen to eavesdrop a conversation stating that they were spreading the retardius fever. Then the quest becomes a bit more interesting.

I get your point, cause a lot of open world rpg's today are constructed and written rather pisspoor.

Heres a tip. Try to stocmah playing old timey RPG's. Then you'll understand the disdain people have on your opinions and the games of today.
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 480x640
>>319754470
>>
File: 1294844400106.jpg (73 KB, 1083x1104) Image search: [Google]
1294844400106.jpg
73 KB, 1083x1104
>>319753246
nocchi is cute <3
>>
File: IMG_4873.jpg (70 KB, 494x706) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4873.jpg
70 KB, 494x706
>>319758028
nocchipost
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.