[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happened with this game? It just kind of came and went and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6
File: 1448037646424.jpg (747 KB, 1440x1620) Image search: [Google]
1448037646424.jpg
747 KB, 1440x1620
What happened with this game? It just kind of came and went and nobody's talking about it anymore.
>>
>eshop

that's why anon
>>
>>319736868
amerikek detected
>>
>>319736265
That pic reminds me of that trap doujin, where a guy had a butterfly decoration on his panties.
>>
File: 1429838683527.jpg (79 KB, 960x941) Image search: [Google]
1429838683527.jpg
79 KB, 960x941
>>319736959
Nigga what?
>>
It was discussed with regularity for a month straight, and still is occasionally mentioned due to its status as a WiiU exclusive.
>>
>>319736265

I haven't bought it yet, because I still need to finish up Tropical Freeze before I delete it's data from my Wii U. I'll also have to uninstall Pikmin 3, but I never started that one yet, so it's fine.
>>
>>319737824

Weird, I too went through Tropical Freeze before getting FF5, since I got it through Club Nintendo. Pretty good game, didn't bother with Hard Mode though. I just wanted to clear all the levels at least once.
>>
>>319736265
Skyrim?
>>
>>319737923

Yeah, I got Tropical Freeze through Club Nintendo's demise, and Pikmin was free with Mario Kart, I think.
>>
There's a few reasons this game wasn't as good as other titles in the series. First of all, the fully 3D environment with 360 camera meant that jump scares were easily missable and kind of half-assed. In earlier titles the camera angle was locked by location, so the developers could put whatever jump scares they wanted and you were pretty much guaranteed to walk into them. In this game, something could be happening behind you and by the time you turn to see it you'll have missed it. It makes for a potentially boring game.

Second, the censorship. I know, I know, it's just some costumes and they were replaced with other costumes so who cares. Some people do care though, and are getting kinda tired of Nintendo dumbing down every game they release outside of Japan because they don't think we can handle a little skin. This also changed the tone of one of the game's cutscenes.

Third, the fact that it was eshop only in America. That was just a kick in the balls to all North American Fatal Frame fans. Like seriously, what the fuck. Not only that, the game is rather large (13gb) and took up a huge chunk of space on systems that didn't have an external hard drive attached.

Lastly, the controls are fucking atrocious. Innovative yes - but the original three titles didn't need this innovation to be successful. I actually preferred the original control scheme and it would've been easy to give players the option to at least use the wii u controller pro. Instead, thanks to Nintendo, it was forced to be gamepad only.
>>
>>319736265
>physical release only for europoors
>censored

Nintendo didn't want my money.
>>
>>319736265
The censorship was pretty minor (albeit still bullshit). Two swimsuits got replaced, one of which is featured in a story scene that now seems kind of odd (though you can still figure out what's supposed to be going on). Outside of that it's a great game. I'm not sure if you familiar with the previous FF games, but in terms of quality 5 is worse than 2 and 3 but better than 1 and 4. The games are more unsettling than they are outright scary, and that's more or less the case with 5. It's pretty faithful to the old-school survivor horror structure, with significant backtracking and limited healing items and ammo (although you have infinite uses of the weakest ammo type). The combat is probably the best in the series.
All in all it's pretty great.
>>
>>319738138
The controls were fine once you turned off the gyro shit and made the camera appear on the TV. Everything else you mentioned is either nitpicking (censorship, camera angles) or has nothing to do with the games quality (eShop).
>>
>>319738138

I felt the game was an overall upper-mid tier entry. The progression and pacing is some of the weakest, only beating out 3 in that regard, but I felt the utilization of the gamepad as the camera gave the game by far the most fun combat in the series. You have a point with the choice of camera but even then I felt the game was a near universal improvement on 4, which was ultimately a very similar game, and it's not like the game didn't eke out a few good scares here and there anyways. The story and atmosphere felt kinda mundane for the series as well but considering this is my 6th Fatal Frame game counting Spirit Camera, I've kinda caught on to the formula by now. On its own merits though, some of the locales like Shrine of Dolls, Shrine of the Ephemeral, Forbidden Valley, and Unfathomable Forest were great. As a whole, I'd say it's about FF2's equal, bearing in mind that I don't see that game as the series' high point (that'd be the first game) and actually see its strengths and weaknesses as polar opposites to 5.
>>
File: 1499246137940.jpg (929 KB, 1794x1971) Image search: [Google]
1499246137940.jpg
929 KB, 1794x1971
Because it was decent at best

Yuuri's ass on the other hand
>>
>>319738636
It's all negative points that make for a sub-par experience. Yeah nothing stands out as gamebreaking, but put it all together and it makes for a game that can be a chore to play sometimes. Also yeah turning the gyro off allowed you to play the game with similar controls to the older games, but you were still forced to use the gamepad for no good reason other than taking shots in portrait or landscape mode.>>319738636
It's all negative points that make for a sub-par experience. Yeah nothing stands out as gamebreaking, but put it all together and it makes for a game that can be a chore to play sometimes. Also yeah turning the gyro off allowed you to play the game with similar controls to the older games, but you were still forced to use the gamepad for no good reason other than taking shots in portrait or landscape mode.
>>
>>319738716
3 had the best pacing you fool. It had the best of pretty much everything except protagonist and curse. That being said, it's nice to see somebody else appreciate 1. While I feel 3 and to a lesser extent 2 are better, 1 definitely has the best scares and atmosphere. The Himuro Mansion was GOAT.
>>
>>319739030
Wow I fucked that reply right up. Sorry about that.
>>
>>319738636
>>319739030

>actually turning off the gyro
>not spinning around like a maniac trying to take pictures of ghosts

That was the best part of the game. Shit was fun as hell. I wanted 5 to competently turn the gamepad into the Camera Obscura more than anything else and it delivered on that front.
>>
>>319738989
>essentially painted skin is officially less lewd than skimpy underwear
legit
>>
>>319739341
>less lews
are you gay senpai? just look at it
>>
File: 1002.jpg (20 KB, 423x404) Image search: [Google]
1002.jpg
20 KB, 423x404
>>319737743
>WiiU exclusive
ah, i finaly can see where the problem is
>>
>>319737647
Hes referring to the fact that glorious EU master race has a physical copy.
>>
>>319739404
I mean considering one was removed and one was added
>>
>dead console exclusive
JUST
>>
>>319739089

>3 had the best pacing

Nah, the house sections were neat but felt like fluff compared to the mansion parts, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they liked playing as Kei, and the game drags on for about 4 chapters too long. Just when I was starting to feel fatigued with the game they bring in the miasma. I still liked 3, but it's handily my least favorite entry in the main series. For what its worth though, it certainly didn't lack for ambition.
>>
>>319739030
The camera angle thing isn't even a unique issue because there were tons of missable scares in the first four games. All of the games had a shit load of instances where you needed to whip out the obscura to see whatever spooky ghost was fucking around off camera. The controls in 5 are pretty much the same as the others and work just as well. Whining about having to use the standard Wii U controller to play a Wii U game is fucking retarded. You had to use a dual shock or Xbox controller to play 1-3, and a wiimote-nunchuck combo to play 4 and the 2 remake. How is being forced to use the gamepad any different? Especially since like you said the game required the gamepad's tilt controls at times, so obviously the pro controller wouldn't work.
>>
>>319736265
People only cared about the censorship controversy and not the game itself.
>>
>>319739513
The house parts were short as fuck though and basically did what Silent Hill 4 did but better. And Keith was only annoying to play as for like 10 minutes while you didn't have the camera obscura yet. I couldn't disagree more about the game. The entire thing was fantastic and I was sad when it was over.
>>
>>319739569
Plenty of people cared, but Fatal Frame has always been a niche series so discussion is infrequent around here.
>>
>>319739696

>basically did what Silent Hill 4 did but better

Gonna have to strongly disagree on that one. If SH4 did anything worth praising, it was the room sections, especially in the second half. The complete opposite of FF3 IMO, which was stronger in the mansion parts.
>>
>>319739696
>Keith
Wow, I don't know how I fucked that up. Looks like I'm giving >>319739030 a run for his money.
>>
>>319739534
I can see there's really no point in arguing with you about any of this because you're set in your ways and I'm set in mine. The first three games had way more guaranteed scares than this game does, even without the obscura scares. As for the controls, you'll notice I didn't mention 4 or the 2 remake because they were motion controlled garbage. Yes the first three games used a standard controller because that's what was available at the time, but are you saying that all games released on the Wii U need to use its gyro or motion shit just because it's there? It's made a lot of games that should've been simple fun a lot more tedious and it's going to continue to do so (Star Fox Zero comes to mind). And if not, then why not allow the system to use one of its other widely used peripherals?

Like I said, we're not going to agree with each other on this so it's best to let it go, I see where you're coming from but I don't agree that the game is fine the way it is when they've had several much better titles in the series to work off of.
>>
>>319740002
Yeah, best to agree to disagree. No hard feelings anon, I respect your opinion and think it's equally as valid as mine. Now let us hope we get a Fatal Frame 6 someday.
>>
It's a highly niche game that got censored, had almost no advertising, had a limited physical release, takes up half of your HDD when downloaded and all that on the least popular console system.
>>
>>319739341
Ssshh, the Americans are asleep. Don't wake them up.
>>
>>319740002

I'd argue that Fatal Frame, or any game that utilizes considerable camera mechanics (Pokemon Snap, anyone?) is a natural fit for gamepad functionality. I mean, it makes a fuckton of sense on a basic level - the gamepad screen is the viewfinder, the gamepad itself is the camera, the TV is the environment itself. I dunno, this shit kinda writes itself.
>>
I'm curious. Did the Euro version get censored too?
>>
File: american-pride-joanne-kocwin.jpg (134 KB, 750x470) Image search: [Google]
american-pride-joanne-kocwin.jpg
134 KB, 750x470
>>319740194
>the Americans are asleep
>implying
>>
>>319740272

Yep. American version is based on the European version if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>319740163
I hope so, it's definitely my favorite horror series. I just hope that next time we get a Fatal Frame release it's given a bit more love from NoA in terms of advertising and retail vs digital.
>>
>>319736265
Release on a Nintendo console, guy on a Nintendo console.
>>
>>319740237
>Pokemon Snap
Oh god don't remind me we never got a sequel WHAT THE FUCK NINTENDO REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>319740397

Nintendo co-owns the franchise now. They have since at least 2008.
>>
File: 1417394839845.png (57 KB, 600x434) Image search: [Google]
1417394839845.png
57 KB, 600x434
>>319740350
Well we went from no foreign release of 4, to a European release of 2 Wii, to a worldwide release of 5 (even though it's digital only I'm North America), so that's some progress right? Who am I kidding, Nintendo is never going to treat this series properly.
>>
>>319738295
This shit right here.
>>
>>319736265
it would be cool if the ghost would sexually harasses her
>>
>>319740002
Actually I just thought of something that I really hated on 5: what they did with Miku. That shit right there was unacceptable.
>>
>>319740737

They aren't, and while it's not the best measurement tool I checked how many people rated FF5 on the American eShop just now and it's only got 1,365 ratings. I'm willing to bet most people don't rate games on the eShop but even so, it probably didn't do all that great, or at least not well enough to vouch for a physical stateside release of FF6.
>>
>>319741443
i dont even know if thats a lot or not without seeing other games for reference. on the psn store those ratings wouldnt be bad for a niche title.
i do know that the limited EU edition is sold out in most places.
>>
>>319738138
>This also changed the tone of one of the game's cutscenes.
why do people still not get this, the costumes made sense in this game and anyone who says taking them out was okay is retarded.
>>
>>319741727

Unfortunately I don't think anyone but Nintendo knows how many digital copies of a game they sell, so it really isn't a good metric since there's no real estimate to base anything on. Still, aside from the Japanese sales and the limited EU edition being sold out there's not a whole lot else to turn to.
>>
>>319741836
it does change the tone of the cutscene but not the message.
miu still lies on the bed and tells her photographer to "do what he wants" or something along those lines.
i think its pretty clear whats going on even without the bikini costume and while i do think removing it was retarded im sure most of the crybabies dont even know what theyre talking about.
>>
>>319741920
Well from what I read it outsold 4 in Japan, so hopefully a 6 is at least guaranteed over there. Maybe Nintendo will come to their senses and make NX (which is what I assume 6 would be on) region-free.
>>
>>319742727

That would be something at least. Historically the post-4 releases have been decent to Europe, and 4 only never made it out of Japan because of bullshit between Grasshopper and Nintendo, so worst comes to worst NX could be region free and then FF6 can be imported from Europe.
>>
>>319736265
No one wants to get digital-only censored garbage that takes up 1/3 of your console's memory.
>>
>>319736265
Because /v/ is like tumblr. They endlessly complain about things they don't like and a lack of pandering but then never buy anything.
>>
say what you will about tank controls, but playing 4 and 5 only makes it clear the Fatal Frame games truly thrived off the fixed camera angles.
>>
Did the stuff get censored in all versions of the game, or just the western release?
>>
>>319743734

I don't think they're any worse or better for it personally. I like both camera styles just fine, and the early FF games handled those fixed angles elegantly with the dedicated run button.
>>
>>319738989
Am I seeing shades of nipple or is that my imagination?
>>
>>319746272
They pretty much just painted her nude model blue so probably.
>>
>>319738989
is that in the game?
>>
>>319738138

I think if you HAD to use the gamepad then they should have had invisible ghosts that you couldn't see on the main screen, only through the gamepad. At least it would be scarier. It got to the point where I didn't even look at the main screen while playing most of the time.
>>
>>319736265
No one gives a shit about horror games, aside from Silent Hill and Resident Evil.
And Silent Hill is dead and Resident Evil no longer a horror game.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.