[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: mechwarrior-online-logo.png (200 KB, 550x284) Image search: [Google]
mechwarrior-online-logo.png
200 KB, 550x284
What went wrong?
>>
>>319728974
PGI got greedy and thought that the fanbase surrounding the game was theirs when in reality they were fans of the Battletech franchise and were just happy to have a mechwarrior game that wasn't dead.
>>
MWO became some sort of horrible combination of P2W (P2notgrind, more specifically) and F2P by having constant cosmetic bullshit shoved down the players throats. That said, its still playable, just not nearly good enough to be called a worthy mechwarrior entry.
>>
>>319728974
They went back on their promises and pissed off all people who were actually interested in the game in the first place that gave them millions of dollars in an attempt to attract a "broader audience" while also trying to get that e-sports money.

It went poorly.
>>
$20 mechs
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (67 KB, 666x252) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
67 KB, 666x252
>>319728974
>the two autists going on every negative review and telling them they're wrong and should move on
l
o
l
>>
did you guys see that battletech turn based strategy game on kickstarter from the shadowrun guys?

I hope its good.
>>
>>319732478
no but i saw brigador
>>
I joined a Clan and for a little while I had a blast.

I loved the mechs in the game and the way the game played, I just wish there was an easier way to get into the game. You have no way of knowing a mech build will work for you or not without spending some cash.
>>
>>319732725
how is it?
>>
>>319730590
Oh.

>>319729681
Well that's not too bad. What does the Mechwarrior series, more specifically this release, have in common with something like Hawken as far as gameplay goes?
>>
>>319733140
high potential but barebones right now
early access on steam
>>
>>319733223
Mechs arent really 20 unless you're a retard.

Pick a mechbuild, find out how much its parts cost, grind up the cash, pay 5 bucks and get your mech.

Or if you're super autismo grind up the cash for all of it.
>>
why the fuck is mechwarrior 2 and 3 not on gog?

I would buy it in a heartbeat.

oh and have a thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7w88yQVlVY
>>
>>319733223
>What does the Mechwarrior series, more specifically this release, have in common with something like Hawken as far as gameplay goes
Hardly anything. Hawken's mechs (or whatever they were called) are much more mobile. They're basically humans with jetpacks and mech skins. Mechwarrior 'mechs are mostly slow, clunky and awkward to handle. The pace of MWO is much slower and thus arguably more tactics oriented.
>>
>>319733368
>why the fuck is mechwarrior 2 and 3 not on gog?
And meccommanders too
>>
The games that were made in the 90's that had 5 polygons for a tree and no textures still managed to make me feel like i was in something way bigger than the mechs walking around in the blurry ass textured environment of this game
>>
File: Botan.jpg (455 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Botan.jpg
455 KB, 1280x960
>Saw this on Steam
>Liked Mechwarrior a bit as a kid
>Decide to download it
How fucked am I
>>
Too many fucking controls. And I used to play in the Mechwarrior centers in the 90's.
>>
>sniping with raven
>getting okay points
its alright. I dont see the appeal of slow mechs though
>>
>>319738069
Those big old eyes
>>
>>319735598
Why not 4. I mean it wasn't perfect, but I loved the goofy FMVs.
>>
>>319738940
WALKING TANKS MAN
>>
>>319738069
How much grinding do you like to do?
>>
>>319739067
but they don't feel like they do much more damage and only need the armor because they have to put themselves in bad positions to do any damage.
>>
>>319739171
Is the Adder (Puma, Cougar, whatever) free to play at least?
>>
>>319739247
The prime variant is, yes. Prime being 2 clan ERPPCs
>>
>>319739067
world of tanks can be pretty fast though when people finally stop camping
>>
>>319739306
>ERPPCs
Cool I can enjoy this game for at least like two days.
>>
>playing 20 times gives you enough money for one mech exactly
>buy one Stormcrow
>have some fun but max it out along with the free Stormcrow
>regret spending that much on a Stormcrow with the horrible grind
>should have bought a Timber Wolf instead from the get go
what a fucking waste of time.
>>
>>319739181
Depends on what type of heavy mech. I like the gunboat style atlas designs that have a shitton of weapons for medium/long range fighting, but is kind of shitty up close. On the other hand, a lot of heavy mechs use AC/20s and other suicidal weapons to just do as much damage as possible and then probably die.
>>
File: 1442540943371.png (174 KB, 885x1200) Image search: [Google]
1442540943371.png
174 KB, 885x1200
>>319728974
>I bought that mech designed for that little girl with cancer
>Never logged in to actually use it
>>
>>319739315
WoT grind makes me feel suicidal
>>
>>319739423
They are kind enough to give you a large sum of cash over your first 25 matches. Save up for something you really want.
>>
File: 1442256324453.png (71 KB, 703x822) Image search: [Google]
1442256324453.png
71 KB, 703x822
>>319739592
>That was two years ago
Time flies
>>
>>319739663
I kind of want a Catapult or something but we'll see I guess.

>>319739592
Which one is that?
>>
>>319739806
Sarah's Jenner
>>
Do they still only give 4 mech slots to F2P players? That was one of the bigger pain-in-the-ass decisions I ran into, and I don't feel like reinstalling just to check.
>>
>>319733368
Because Microsoft, that's why.
>>
are they still stuck in the battletech equivalent of the stone age? I got into mechwarrior with 4 and the fedcom civil war novels so it sucks that all of the new games are set in time before the mechs I like were invented.
>>
>>319739919
They give 4 mech bays to everyone. Though there are ways of getting more for free. Just as usual, grind your ass off.
>>
It was shit compared to Living Legends for one.
>>
>>319739991
No, we are at clan invasion. I agree though that Civil War was the best era.
>>
>>319728974
>friend randomly finds this game this past Spring
>bugs me to play it with him
>gets to point where one day he asked to borrow my laptop to look something up one day when at my house
>find the next day that the fucked downloaded the game and all of the patches
>watched a gameplay video and I already know that I won't like it
He's one of my best friends but I just now think he's getting the message that I don't want to play. It's one of those games where it's completely free but buying essentially becomes mandatory as soon as you start getting high up there

this friend has also spent at least 500 funbucks from fafsa on this game
>>
>>319733575
Is it first person? Third?
>tactical
Are there HUD elements out the wazoo?
>>
>>319735598
>meccommanders
Those are legally free through.
>>
>>319728974
Too grindy. Badly balanced. Gutted clan tech. TTK is a bit too high. Limited customization (But at least better than WoT). Map design funnels players into areas making only heavies and assaults useful. Ballistics, missiles and large weapons in general suck compared to any mech that has a large number of energy hardpoints and just spamming medium lasers.
>>
>>319728974
Game went to shit after they took away jump shotting. It's was unbalanced as hell but at least it took real skill, they should have just buffed all the grounded mechs to compensate. PGI just nerfs what looks OP to shit, which is the worst balancing procedure possible.
>>
>>319741208
You can view the game in third, but it's meant to be played if first. There are quite a few hud elements, but they will make sense fairly quickly.
>>
File: 1447561024478.jpg (46 KB, 636x571) Image search: [Google]
1447561024478.jpg
46 KB, 636x571
people expected this to live up to Mechwarrior 2/3/4. It's just world of tanks with some battletech flavoring-- which is enough for some fun once in a while. Mech packs are way too expensive though
>>
>>319743104
I'm not concerned with the learning curve (it is F2P after all, the learning curve simply can't be all that steep), Im an immersionfag. I'm planning on getting some dual flight stick setup for mech games and EVE Valkyrie along with a Vive once my birthday rolls around :3
>>
They made the devs of MWLL cease with any further development of the mod because they didn't want any competition to their own game.

Think about that for a second: a mod made by fans is better than what actual developers made and they were so threatened by it that they ordered them to never ever update it again.

In conclusion: MWLL > MWO

Hope PGI dies an agonizing death.
>>
>>319733368
Mechwarrior 2 had such a fantastic soundtrack.
Too bad the composer doesn't seem to be doing much nowadays.
>>
>>319743350
You're gonna get your shit handed down to you by 3rd person view players because they see more than you.
>>
>>319744272
They said the same when I stuck with first person in Chivalry.
I've come to accept that I'm much more skilled than the average player, I think a handicap is alright if it means I won't wipe the floor with the enemy constantly and get bored
>>
>>319744412
Chivalry is melee oriented game. This isn't. They can see you around corners and take potshots of you.
>>
>>319744272
uh no, if you play with 3rd person view, you are a bad and should reconsider your skill level.
>>
>>319744570
I'd be surprised if they were to land more than one shot with that method.
Also,
>throwing weapons don't exist
>seeing an enemy around a corner doesn't give you a huge advantage ie starting your swing early
Stay casual, my friend.
>>
>>319744831
Sorry, never played Chivalry. There's a reason why a lot of people left when they added 3rd person view to attract the WoT players.

But hey if you want to ignore its problems to feel all hardcore, go ahead.
>>
>>319744272
3rd person is only good in some situations as information on where enemy mechs are is like 90% of the game. But conversely since it puts a little easy to spot robot above your head you'll likely get spotted first and die. It's terrible first and foremost because it reveals where you are, secondly because harder to actually operate your mech.
>>
>>319745062
What problems?
>>
grind
grind
you don't like grind?
pay to grind less
then grind more
grind
grind more
bored of grinding?
give us 500 dollars for one mech
yes
one mech

fuck this piece of fucking shit
>>
>>319745687
the grind is so bad it puts russians to shame
>>
>>319746136
I wanna play a game like this but without the grind, what multiplayer mech games are still alive?
>>
>>319746215
none whatsoever
dead genre

thats no joke, MWO is literally the only choice, which is why it has any players at all
>>
>>319745687
And yet I put up with it because I'm desperate for an active Mechwarrior game. I've always loved the slow lumbering pace of Mechwarrior's mechs.
>>
File: 1449330832629.jpg (105 KB, 1060x404) Image search: [Google]
1449330832629.jpg
105 KB, 1060x404
>>319746269
Thanks for ruining my day
>>
>playing MWO

I really hope you don't do this. Ever.
>>
>>319739592
>I bought the cancermech

You naive, easily duped retard you.
>>
>>319744272
Third person is literally garbage and no one uses it ever
>>
> enjoying the fuck out of mech combat in Xenoblade
> want a mech mmo
> remember this came out
> read all the problems with it
> die a bit more inside
>>
Why are all the mechs so goddamn squishy? I got that piece of shit Trial Madcat that had no LRMs, i fucking ran into the open for like 10 seconds and I got blown up by a few lasers up my ass while retreating. If that Mech was this bad in Mechwarrior 3 I would have never played it again. Fuck this game. Also the hud is annoying.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.