[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ever considered its sales tanked because people didn't like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: rottr.jpg (759 KB, 3300x1900) Image search: [Google]
rottr.jpg
759 KB, 3300x1900
Ever considered its sales tanked because people didn't like the first game rather than because it's an Xbone exclusive? The exclusivity just provides a convenient excuse.
>>
A lot of people liked the previous game retard, it sold like 7 million
>>
>>319712970
Selling well doesn't necessarily mean people liked it, especially given that Squarenix has been pushing out endless copies for next-to-nothing.
>>
File: 1442779535779.png (567 KB, 694x694) Image search: [Google]
1442779535779.png
567 KB, 694x694
I think in this case the exclusivity killed it. That mixed with it sharing the release day of Fallout 4 fucked it up. I have no clue what the fuck Square was thinking with that.
>>
>>319712815
I actually hated the 2013 one, this one is much better though. No, don't ask why I bought a sequel to a game I hated.
>>
>>319713179
I didn't play much of the reboot but it really didn't grab me. Felt like a really clunky Uncharted clone and I'm not a huge fan of Uncharted.
>>
File: TR.png (125 KB, 323x301) Image search: [Google]
TR.png
125 KB, 323x301
Considering it's now at something like 8.5 million copies sold and nearly everywhere you can look will have it at a decently high user rating I doubt it.
>>
>>319713587
>user rating
ugh

I can just see it being one of these things where a massively hyped game with a brand attached sells really well but people don't like it and the sequel gets hurt by it. It reminds me a bit of the Star Trek reboot, where the first one did well and got good reviews but then people stayed away from the sequel because it didn't live up to people's expectations.

Just my belief anyway. I think even if it had been multiplat it wouldn't have sold a million. Nothing does quite this badly just because it's exclusive.
>>
Exclusivity and launching the same day as Fallout

Should've come out before Halo 5 came out to be frank, nothing major came out in October.

It's shame, it's one of my favorite games of the year so far.
>>
>>319713106
there was enough demand for them to literally release it twice
>>
>>319714779
But "remasters" cost very little, especially when you get that PS+/GWG money. It's not like they made any changes to the game, it's identical to the PC version.
>>
>>319712815
>Ever considered its sales tanked because people didn't like the first game rather than because it's an Xbone exclusive?
No i didn't consider that because that's not the reason at all. It was literally because it's a timed exclusive that released on the same day as fallout 4, a week after black ops 3, and a week before battlefront. It was just set up for failure.

Once it goes multi plat it'll sell okay. The first wasn't a great game but it wasn't bad. This one seems the same, but a bit better.
>>
I didn't even know it came out
>>
>>319712815
People loved the first game though, except for "not muh Lara" tards on /v/.
>>
the last game sold more than most of the franchise combined
>>
File: pla.jpg (54 KB, 614x343) Image search: [Google]
pla.jpg
54 KB, 614x343
>>319715447
>>
>>319712815
It's coming to PC and PS4 December 30th, isn't it?

Amazon has that date listed.
>>
>>319715115
>Titanfall was Xbox/PC only
>EA comes out shortly after and says the price MS paid wasnt nearly as much as they would have made from releasing the game on Playstation

>Other publishers continue to make Xbone exclusivity contracts

How fucking much is MS paying
>>
>>319715572
PC is something like early 2016 while PS4 isn't until a year from now.
>>
>>319712815
it's a combination of both. replayability of the first game was non-existent (you could get most of the shit worth getting on first playthrough, and who the fuck even cares about dumb shit like flags). this game isn't gonna be worth more than $9.99 it will sell for during next years steam summer sale
>>
>>319715564
>most
>>
>>319715675
Oh, neat.

Will def get on PC then.
>>
>>319715853
I was just posting that to kinda prove what you said since sales haven't really been anything special since the 90s
>>
File: 2013tr.png (12 KB, 969x221) Image search: [Google]
2013tr.png
12 KB, 969x221
>>319715564
>>
this is one of most ironic games in history. tomb raider started then dude raider (uncharted) copied that and now tomb raider rebooted and came full circle to copy dude raider. xzibit should be in this game's marketing campaign.
>>
>>319715675
>while PS4 isn't until a year from now.

FUCK
>>
These games are Tomb Raider in name only. They are shit compared to 1, 2, 3 and Revelations.
>>
>>319716232
Just buy an Xbox one, the all in one.
Please
>>
/v/'s the only place that hates the first game. Most people who played it like it.
>>
>>319716280
>Revelations

Wow, there's actually a Tomb Raider called Revelations. I did not know this.

I was actually referring to Tomb Raider 4: The Last Revelation.
>>
>>319712815

the only reason it got good reviews is because it is about a woman
>>
>>319716280
1-3 are clunky garbage
>>
>>319712970
Bargain bins. I bought my copy for $5 new. The initial sales at full price where pretty bad and SE even said it were bad.

>>319712815
The worse part is that I think this one tried to get closer to the roots of the franchise by having bigger tombs (that aren't one 2 minute puzzle big) but everyone thinks that Tomb Raider is now just an uncharted clone.
>>
>>319716448

You have shit taste.
>>
>>319716448
Agreed.
>>
>>319713587
Dude the game had multiple sales and it was pretty much sold for 10 or less even after less than a year from release. Of course people are going to be happy for a game that cost them $10 or less, that doesn't mean they will buy it at full price.

Which is what happened with this edition.
>>
>>319716561
>I think this one tried to get closer to the roots of the franchise by having bigger tombs

I haven't watched much gameplay but I saw that the final boss was a helicopter followed by a dude so I seriously doubt it
>>
They didn't properly advertise the game. I still have no idea about what's actually new, it just looks like the last game with snow. Sending it out to die when Asscreed, Halo, Fallout and Battlefront all came out didn't help either.
>>
>yew can dew it lass
>i can do this
>yew can dew it lass
>i can do this
>yew can dew it lass
>i cant do this
>i can pick up trash from the ground and make exploding arrows and assault rifle parts
>yew can do-AGH fuck im dead
>RARARAR I R STRONK WOMYN NOW RUN YOU BASTARDS I'M THE MASTER OF QTES
>99/10 -IGN
>"exciting breathless pacing" "great characterization" "so much depth"
>>
>>319712815

We will find out when it releases on other platforms next year.
>>
>>319715447
Nah, Tomb Raider 2013 sold ~about~ as well as Tomb Raider II. Which means it sold over Six Million copies worldwide in 2 years.

I expect RotTR to sell quite well once it's released on the PS4/PC (and possibly the PS3). Better timing (what fucking idiot releases a Big game at the same time as a MAJOR release like Fallout 4 besides niche JRPG's?), and Tomb Raider 2013 just plain sold FAR better on the Sony systems than on the MS systems.

Rough sales of Tomb Raider 2013 in each versions 1st two weeks:

0.87 m - PS3
0.23 m - PS4
0.10 m - PC
0.63 m - 360
0.07 m - X1

For the MS systems?

0.11 m - 360
0.39 m - X1
>>
>>319715564
What about the Game Boy Color & GB Advance Tomb Raider games?
>>
>>319715624
>EA comes out shortly after and says the price MS paid wasnt nearly as much as they would have made from releasing the game on Playstation

When did EA say that?

I remember a now perma-banned NeoGAF "insider" claimed it happened but his word doesn't count for much.
>>
It came out the same day as Fallout 4.

Like, fuckers were hype as fuck for Fallout 4 and probably disappointed or trying to rationalize it

But I doubt most of them thought "Fallout 4 is gonna last me a gorillion hours, better pick up Tomb Raider just in case"
>>
>>319712815
It released against Fallout 4 and Call of Duty. Someone needs to tell Square that's the western equivalent of releasing your big game the same day as the new Dragon Quest.

Game looks shitty but I still feel bad for them. This a THI4F level bomb based on how quickly the price is dropping. Of course they may have gotten a ton of money up front for the exclusivity deal.
>>
>>319718495
Square knew.

They just believed their game would sell better.
>>
I'm glad it's tanked. I hope that means we never see another one again.

Worst "reboot" of a franchise of all time. Fuck them for what they did to it.
>>
>>319718702
>worst reboot
Anon its not THEI4F
>>
>>319718702
There's a third one currently in development unless they decide to pull the plug. If it was anyone but Square I'd assume they wouldn't do that just because they as a publisher chose an awful launch window, but they seem to have weird expectations when it comes to sales numbers for this series.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.