[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EVE Online
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
File: productionVsDestruction_2013.png (2 MB, 1980x1092) Image search: [Google]
productionVsDestruction_2013.png
2 MB, 1980x1092
I've heard good things about this game and I'm considering investing my time.

What are pros and cons?
>>
>>319695265
pros: quite possibly the most immersive and realistic experience you can get in the genre, with social interaction being what makes or breaks you
great for roleplaying
cons: you probably won't amount to shit
>>
Cons:
You're years behind everybody else in progression
>>
>>319695265
>Most destruction in Jita
are suicide gankers in the trade hub really that big a problem

and why the fuck was Jita chosen as the king shit trade hub anyway
>>
>>319695454
>cons: you probably won't amount to shit
>>319695498
>Cons:
>You're years behind everybody else in progression

There you have it OP. If you're even a fraction as autismal as I am, this is the big dealbreaker.
>>
>>319695835
it doesnt take long to qualify to pilot a battleship and corps in nullsec will pay you a lot to work for them just as a guy with a handful of frigate skills in an hours-old character
>>
>>319695454
>you probably won't amount to shit
I don't understand this syntax.

>>319695835
>>319695498
>You're years behind everybody else in progression

Not a problem for me, MMOs which require 3-4 months to get into the endgame tend to get stale pretty quickly.
>>
Good
>you can progress even if you don't play
>it requires little to no micro, since it's slow as hell
>you can make money just by playing the market
>the community is very active and take the game seriously
>the world is fuckhuge

Bad
>you can progress even if you don't play
So people having been playing for 10 years, before 6 months you'll be riding nothing but garbage ships, and unless you play like 2 years you won't ride anything actually nice. Eve fags will jump saying this isn't true, but don't believe them.
>it requires little to no micro, since it's slow as hell
it's like zzzzz... hyperjump, mine, pew pew pew, hyperjump, mine, pew pew pew, auction house, queue some new skills and logout for a week since you don't really get stronger by playing more, you can only get richer, strenght comes from afking basically.
>you can make money just by playing the market
Which pretty much everyone has been doing since forever already, and made a bajillion excel charts about it, you'll be making really small profits
>the community is very active and take the game seriously
Unless you join a corporation you'll be bored to death, and once you join once they'll request of you to do menial tasks, which will produce them more money, basically you're becoming a low income slave worker for fun! with the promises of getting protection and teaching you shit which you could learn from googling.
>the world is fuckhuge
Traveling takes literal hours unless you cross the pvp sections, and if you dare cross those alone you'll be pirated in no time.

Honestly give it a try, just don't expect this to be like any other game you've played, and socialize as much as you can, a lot of people are willing to help noobs, but just accept the game has some deep design flaws that may or may not be a deal breaker to you.
>>
>>319696174
I don't think you understand. They've literally got years on you and you will NEVER catch up. There's no way to speed up training and you will always be at a disadvantage no matter what.
>>
>>319695265

Your image just proved everything that's wrong with EVE.

Look at it, you got as much production going on as anywhere, but it's not being used up virtually anywhere. All the insecure space people rarely actually die there, but they do exist there because they make an absolute fuck ton of shit to get blown up in SECURE space.

What in the fuck is going on with that economy? I doubt CCP remotely cared five years ago.
>>
>>319696313
What is 'really nice' to you?
a titan takes 2 years to train for
>>
File: 1361344833448.gif (1015 KB, 207x266) Image search: [Google]
1361344833448.gif
1015 KB, 207x266
>>319695265
Pro has a wide range of activities and depth.

Con it's about 90% locked out unless you join a player corp and then spend all your time dealing with MMO drama.
>>
>iv heard good things about this game

Only from gigantic autiZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
>>
>>319695265
Pros:
Woring with a corp and progressing in ships can be very satisfying, and the large scale battles are incredible.

Cons:
Combat is targeting the right enemy and toggling hotkeys. It's even less interactive than WoW. Large scale battles end up with you just right clicking a name in a chat box and turning on weapons.
Progression takes real time with no gameplay being able to speed it up, which means you just fly crap ships, and are treated like you're useless, because you haven't waited for enough timers.
Corps are also very serious buisness and most players take the game far FAR too seriously, so combat is fun while winning, but once the losing starts you should get ready for shouting and blame, even though it's only a matter of "who took more ships" followed by "who got lucky and hit the most" if both sides are perfectly even.
Only Tacklers need to actually fly their ships at all, everyone else just turns guns/drones on and targets shit.

I love the metagame aspects with trading, ships price mattering, and the complicated and detailed economy, and I love flying ships and fighting NPCs, but that gets old fast and the end game shit is really really boring, generally just resulting in waiting a long as time for one battle.
>>
>>319696543
Perpetual warfare (1984-style) is 50% about production and 50% about destroying the production. Peace is an undesirable state of things.
>>
>>319695265
are there any differences between the races like stats or something?
what faction would be the most forgiving to start and learn the ropes with or doesn't it matter?
>>
>>319695265
Pro's:
it's everything they make it out to be
cons:
MOVEMENT IS LITERALLY GENERIC MMO CLICK AND MOVE HOLY SHIT WHAT A FUCKUP
>>
>>319695794
Location location

It's p much in the middle of everything jump-gate wise
>>
>No level ups, you effectively 'level up' over time by having an active account
>No gear progression, if you have the money for it, it's yours
>Ships are pretty much classes, once you have the ship you want, your progression has ended.

I stopped playing when I realized there was no reason to keep playing once you had the ship you wanted.
>>
>>319699517
can't your ship get destroyed and shit? like you grind for the 10 bajillion ship, then some faggots suicide on you, or you lag super bad and die to who knows what, you're fucked back to square one?
>>
Whats being a pirate like?
>>
i wish i was hardcore enough to do the EVE equivalent of player housing

seems to require a lot of vigilance though
>>
>>319699691
Rule number 1 of EVE Club: Never fly a ship you're not fine with losing
>>
>>319699691
No, you can buy insurance on your ship which covers its cost. You would just have to replace your gear on it which can get costly.

However, 9 times out 10, you're going to know a fight is coming days before it happens so you will transfer over to a ship you are willing to lose and was probably supplied by your corp.
>>
>>319696523
>be at a disadvantage
Well, he'll be able to catch up statistically in a limitid area after a while. At that point it's basically not being as flexible as everyone else. It's not like he's going to pilot capital ships anytime soon anyway.
>>
>>319699423
>it's everything they make it out to be
Unless the character has no skill points, that AFK training thing mentioned in the thread.

I would take the movement system over skill points. It's just a 3D ARPG.
>>
>Pick up small scout vessel
>Hook up a cloaking device and some combat probes
>Lastly, put on a salvager and some salvaging drones
>Fly into faction pvp zone
>Scan down fights
>Pop in, wait until the dust settles then salvage the wrecks, pick up their drones and that sort of thing.
>Cloak up anytime new faces enter the zone
>Head back and put your scrap up for sale in your junkyard.

I enjoyed my time with eve, but there is no real sense of progression.
>>
File: 1308027023885.png (105 KB, 400x233) Image search: [Google]
1308027023885.png
105 KB, 400x233
>starting out the game
>spent the few hours of my free time off for like three days mining asteroids
>save up like 30,000,000 ISK
>see some dude warp in to where I'm mining and take literally the last rock that I wanted
>overcome with such petty anger that I dump all 30,000,000 ISK on him in bounty
>two weeks later still receiving notices that his bounty is being claimed.

in all honesty, it was a waste of ISK.
>>
File: 14443537139.jpg (11 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
14443537139.jpg
11 KB, 300x300
>>319699942
The problem with this explanation is that it's omitting the massive amount of counters, so sure.. a character might can become proficient in a frigate, but frigates are almost worthless now that more advanced ships are pushing out their viability.

There's the biggest con that has yet to be mentioned: the game was designed around a base set of ships, and all the additions are absolutely overwhelming the starter character potential. Playing the early game is absolutely worthless if there's any interest in being anything more than an extra F1 key, much less being an industry buff.
>>
>>319695265
pros: infinite depth, great community, the character progression system might be your thing. If you specialize you can have almost the same stats and bonuses as a veteran have, within 4-5 months for frigs and cruisers. Look for eveiseasy channel on youtube, the guy shows that you can be dangerous even on a 17 days old character. The skill training in eve has extreme diminishing returns, the older players aren't gods at all. Also one of the best tactical/strategical pvp games ever made, this game will swallow you whole if you find the basic framework appealing.

cons: requires dedication to truly appreciate. the character progression system might not be your thing. getting killed can feel rather abusive especially if you were not prepared for it. shitloads of pvp elitists. the game is overall slow as molasses though pvp can be over before you even understood what happened in the smaller ship sizes. game can feel like a job sometimes and requires a decent amount of patience, most people are risk averse and good pvp can be hard to come by if you don't know where to look.
>>
>>319695265
pros: you can boast that you only play the most elite of mmo's requiring more dedication than any other

cons: you aren't playing vidya
>>
>>319699269
There used to be differences between the races but most are gone other than the starting racial skills which are of no weight since anyone can train them quickly. Just pick whatever race you think is most interesting and then train for a specific races ships and weapon systems etc.
>>
>>319696174
You don't get it OP, you don't just git gud in 4 months.

People actually plan out their build 1-2 years in advance because that's how long it is to get certain skills and ships.

When they meant years, they literally meant years.
>>
>>319703130
this

Game is more like a space ship simulator simulator. Shit can get incredibly meta, but if you don't really get immersed into it feels like complete garbage.

Honestly at this point in time I think it's better to wait for a newer sandbox if you really want to waste so much time into this, have more chances to be on equal ground, and don't get ostracized nor exploited by corps.
>>
It's the most elitist fucking community on earth and you won't get anywhere without spending a few dollars on a good ship.
>>
>>319703584
this fag is retarded

surround yourself with fun people, and the game is fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sKLVODNppc
>>
>>319695265
>pros
It's fun if you play with the right people
>cons
filled with redditors and goons
>>319695498
People told me that 4 years ago
Now I am more useful than most of these shitters
>>319695794
Used to be a mission hub
Also gate connections

I think the old PL HQ was actually the most central system in EVE but of course it is in LS
>>
>>319703958
Fuck off Maq
Go back to being banned
>>
>>319697220
I can't believe there's no strategy in battles. Aren't there several classes of ships? Weapons should be different, shouldn't they? How deep is battling mechanics?
>>
File: 1440633988154.png (256 KB, 767x750) Image search: [Google]
1440633988154.png
256 KB, 767x750
>jita
>0.9 system security
they'll never get over it
>>
>>319696313
>hyperjump, mine, pew pew pew, hyperjump, mine, pew pew pew
>falling for the miner meme
Literally no one but absolute shitters who never played a sandbox MMO before mine in Eve.
There is so much fun shit you can do at low SP that also grants you way more credits.
>>
>>319704164
>People told me that 4 years ago
>Now I am more useful than most of these shitters
So he's right then? 4 fucking years.
>>
>>319704483
No
You can train into logi in a few months and be better than some shitter that played since 2003
If you want to measure your dick length with SP just jew hard and buy a character with 100M+ SP
>>
>>319696167
>2015
>using battleships in nullsec ever
>>
Reddit pretty much doesn't exist anymore

what's left over of their stupid corp is too small to hold anything in null and now they're all just doing FW in Amarr systems

game is fun, takes a while to learn, you'll be shit for most of the time, you'll never have a "fair" pvp experience, which is pretty realistic, as no one is going to accept a "fair" 1v1 duel, it's always some blobing ganking instalock tackle shit at 30k off gate
>>
Is there a way to play without paying?
>>
>>319699732
there is no such thing as piracy in EVE. Well, profitable piracy, anyway
>>
>>319705235
there's something in the game called PLEX, that can be bought with in-game dollarydoos

it's not easy, though
>>
>>319705332
My main question
Is it completely possible to, from the moment I download this game, never spend a cent on it and play for as long as I want?
>>
>>319705454
yes
>>
>>319705235
You can buy the subscription in game with ISK but it costs a lot right now. You have to know what you're doing or be good at scamming to buy a PLEX within the 14 OR 21 day trials. Last I checked a PLEX was running for about 1.2 billion at Jita.
>>
>>319705454
for a vet looking to start a new account, yeah sure no problem I guess

for a brand new player, it'll be a REALLY FUCKING BIG challenge. Learning the game itself takes a week.
>>
>>319705454
possible, but not always feasible
>>
>>319705454
Unless can enter a really solid corp like the Goons who have measures to help newcomers financing their first month with in-game money, no.
>>
>>319705454
yes

it'll be rough for your first month, but if you put in time, you'll be able to easily make enough ISK to pay for PLEX in game

your first month you'll be a Trial account (which doesn't really matter since you won't have the SP to get the more advanced shit), but if durign the trial you make enough to purchase 1 PLEX and use it to extend your sub, you'll stop being a trial and be a full account

people will laugh and say things like "if you have to ask how to make isk, you can't cut it" and other bullshit like that, but there are ways
>>
>>319695265
you can make a living with it :^)
>>
>>319705660
>>319705632
>>319705621
>>319705619
>>319705542
Oh shit.

Can I do it? Can I really do it?
>>
>>319705891
>9705891 ▶
>>>319705660
can you put in more than 2-4 hours a day for a month? if yes, than sure

if no, then not a fucking chance in hell
>>
>>319705942
not sure what happened with the replying there
>>
>>319705891
you can, but you need to have like 4 hours a day

it's not something you can just log in, finish some quests, and log out, shit takes time, and unbroken time. it's one of those thigns where if you're not at the controls the entire time, you can get killed.

it can be done with moderate effort, just need to have a long chunk of free time each day to make the most of it
>>
>>319705891
You can but the game will become a second job.
>>
>>319706696
I don't have a first job.
>>
>>319706801
Well, welcome to the company, friend. We'll assign you a space-cubicle on Monday.
>>
>>319704449
Yet you come here and don't mention any of them

Way to advertise your glorified game

Go ahead and post that "amazing meme picture" wher eit shows like 20+ different things you can do on eve, but none of those will happen as a nub on his first 100 hours.
>>
>>319707219
>Way to advertise your glorified game
I have played Eve for like 2 months years ago but fortunately this doesn't stops me from pointing out false statements when I can.

During my 2 months I did exploration, trading, hauling, solo rifter PvP, I took classes for squad PvP, also did some PvE and some ninja salvaging.
All of these are way more fun than mining, and all these jobs were full of constant learning, mining is the most brainless shit to do in Eve, yes, even hauling can get tense at times.
>>
>>319704386
What do you mean?
>>
Isn't this game like dead? Or in the process of dying?
>>
I really hope No Man's Sky is more like eve and less like halo.
>>
>>319699875
This sounds sick as Hell
>>
>>319708104
It's just holding steady with an enthusiastic fanbase, like d&d online and lotr online.
>>
>>319708361
NMS will be nothing like EVE. In order to have eve like gameplay, you'd need to be able to find other players.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.